List Mgmt. COLLINGWOOD Trade and F/A Discussion 2022-->

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Key dates attached so we know what’s going on when.

• Friday 30 September at 9.00am
  • AFL Restricted Free Agency and Unrestricted Free Agency Period commences
Monday 03 October at 9.00am
  • AFL Trade Period commences – Players & Selections
Friday 07 October at 5.00pm
  • Close of AFL Restricted Free Agency Offer and Unrestricted Free Agency Period.
Monday 10 October
  • AFL Draft Nominations open (9am)
  • AFL Restricted Free Agency Matching Offer 3 Day Period Ends (5pm)
Wednesday 12 October at 7.30pm
  • AFL Trade Period closes – players and selections
Thursday 03 November at 9.00am
  • AFL Delisted Player Free Agency Period (1) commences
Wednesday 09 November at 5.00pm
  • AFL Delisted Player Free Agency Period (1) closes
Friday 11 November at 9.00am
  • AFL Delisted Player Free Agency Period (2) commences
Tuesday 15 November by 5.00pm
  • AFL Delisted Player Free Agency Period (2) closes
  • AFL Trade Period closes – selections only
Monday 21 November by 3.00pm
  • AFL Draft Nominations close
Monday 28 November at 7.10pm
  • 2022 AFL Draft Round One (Venue TBC)
  • Father/Son, Academy & NGA and Players Bidding opens.
Tuesday 29 November
  • AFL Trade Period – selections only (5.45pm to 6.30pm)
  • 2022 AFL National Draft Round two until completion (7pm)
  • Rookie Upgrade Period opens (10pm)
  • AFL Delisted Player Free Agency Period (3) commences (10pm)
  • Rookie Upgrade Period closes (11pm)
  • AFL Delisted Player Free Agency Period (3) closes (11pm)
Wednesday 30 November
  • AFL Pre-Season Draft (3pm, online)
  • AFL Rookie Draft (3.20pm, online)
Thursday 01 December by 4.00pm
  • Final AFL Club List Lodgement

It just doesn’t seem to work unless you have leaders on the field.
Also, you would be wanting to finish bottom 3 or 4 for a few years wouldn’t you? They seem to have a problem in that they have cap space but their senior players aren’t worth what they think they are. I wonder if they performed better and had good prospects if Bowes would have chosen them? A pick 7 to go with their pick 6 would have been handy.
I don't know what direction they're trying to go in. Dumping all your leadership at once is a risky, and silly move.

If the rumors about Hawks paying salary for higher pick is true we could get both.
We are a developing team that wants to draft top end talent to add to our youth - need to replace Pendles, Sidey, Howe, Mihocek and Elliot …. and gun KPPs.

Last edited:
Hate it, but I'm torn between losing Henry for nothing to the draft or getting something in return knowing they won't split 7
I really don’t think he will nominate for the draft. If he was interstate, then it would be a possibility just to get back to Victoria. He hasn’t said he hates Collingwood. So I think if a deal doesn’t get done, he’ll re-sign. He has mates at the club and we are going places. There’s always a risk going to the draft. Hawthorn may think that he could be a long term replacement for Gunston and for pick in the early 20s, may back themselves to change his mind about going. Essendon could do the same particularly if it’s viewed as a shallow draft.

GW and Mackie still moving their pieces around the board and the chess games are coming near the end of the match. I think Mackie has his anal beads in place now. Not because he’s cheating but he just likes anal beads.

I know exactly what you're talking about which is sad.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We are a developing team that wants to draft top end talent to add to our youth - to replace Pendles, Sidey, Howe, Mihocek and Elliot.
I think we are more a premiership contender needing a couple of role players to get us that flag. I'd rather a flag whilst being in a better position at the draft next year.

Dont quote me, but someone on twitter mentioned Ollie's manager said he would stay if a deal can't be done. Given we do have a 1 year offer on the table.
If this is true, then he wont go through the draft. And who knows what happens in 12 months, a lot can change people's minds.
Failing to agree a trade for Henry raises some interesting risks/rewards for the 3 parties involved.

Geelong: damage to their reputation, loss of face for Mackie, miss a player who has shown ability in the AFL, potentially alienate Henry however preserve the Bowes deal and potential Clark draft and elect to have another crack at Ollie next trade period having potentially greater exposed form.

Pies: our loss (at least for this season) will be pick 25, being the highest pick Geelong are reportedly prepared to pay. Future risk is that Ollie doesn't develop next season and thereby dilutes his trade value. Upside is having Ollie on the list for 2023, with the potential to develop and improve further, which is likely to lead to him seeking to leave us receiving a pick higher than 25, or Ollie signing an extension to his deal (assuming we retain him on a 1 year deal), increased reputation/standing among supporters and clubs in future trade periods.

Ollie: risks include PSD/ND and not being able to get to Geelong for a year, re-signing with us but not improving enough to establish himself in the first team resulting in Geelong ending their interest in him or being drafted to a club who plays harder than we have this trade period and refuses to do a deal, thereby requiring him to enter the draft again.

Given the risks to each, it makes sense for Wright to play hardball - his downside this season is pick 25 and, if Ollie does request a trade again next season, we can choose to play the game once more and, if satisfied, will console ourselves with the fact that he was always going to leave regardless.

What about this..
We trade Grundy to Melbourne for future 2nd and hey pay all his contract.
We trump Geelong by offering future 2nd and take Bowes and pick 7
We use 7 on Clark.
This is my favourite post on bigfooty ever

It just doesn’t seem to work unless you have leaders on the field.
Also, you would be wanting to finish bottom 3 or 4 for a few years wouldn’t you? They seem to have a problem in that they have cap space but their senior players aren’t worth what they think they are. I wonder if they performed better and had good prospects if Bowes would have chosen them? A pick 7 to go with their pick 6 would have been handy.
Hawthorn have been shopping around senior players for a while & it hasn't worked.
So those players end up seeming like something from NQR, and end up being worth less in trades as a result.

You rate his talent a lot more then me then, I think if he was a talented as you think he is Geelong wouldn’t be messing around.
I think Geelong are suffering from hubris - that's why they are acting like arrogant campaigners rather than any reflection of Henry's ability as a footballer.

Might be worth asking the question why we're the only team even vaguely interested in Mitchell though.

He would be a decent short term option for us, but not something we should be worried about missing out on. Overall Grundy offers more in my view. Mitchell has clearances but not a lot more, and as he doesn't drive out of packs, needs receivers for his dinky handballs. I'd even say I prefer Adams.

Confident Grundy will be traded, but not too worried if he isn't.
Curious.... what does Grundy offer? Fly has stated he wants the rucks in short, sharp bursts to keep the opposition ruck running ragged. We do not want a fulltime ruckman. When the ball is in the backline Frampton will ruck. When the ball is in the fwd line Krueger or McStay can do it.

On SM-N975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back