List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

If we sell the farm for Houston, I don't want to hear anyone complaining about our lack of youth when we have blew it away in a strong draft for the sake of 1 player and then draft some kids in the pick 50's.
Outside the top 10 Jen realistically there’s not much difference between teen picks and up to the 30’s in terms of average hit rate. Reef and fin are both teens picks

If we sell the farm for Houston, I don't want to hear anyone complaining about our lack of youth when we have blew it away in a strong draft for the sake of 1 player and then draft some kids in the pick 50's.
Aren’t we talking about a future 1st and Richards?

I would have thought that wasn’t selling the farm for a 27 yr old guy who is currently an All Australian (as he was in 2023).

It’s not often you have the opportunity to get a current AA.

Chances are slim that pick 13 will provide a dual AA.

Their asking questions of players everywhere and not sitting on their hands.

The draft can play a part in a flag, but it doesn't win you flag. Trading and FA does, you prioritise Trade/FA while having a couple cracks at the draft and then target mature agers as they come.

Because theres always players looking to play at the best clubs.

Obviously we think Collingwood is a “best club”. But do players?

All clubs now have decent facilities. All clubs have the same salary cap.

Apart from that, every club has something to offer.

Geelong offer farm life or the ability to live on the surf coast.
The Northern states offer players relative privacy and anonymity.
The Suns offer decent weather and an all year beach lifestyle.
The SA clubs offer decent value for money.
Play for WCE and every door is open in the town you live in.
Play for a Vic team and you don’t have to travel quite as much.
North and Hawks offer playing alongside an exciting young list.

We have big crowds and the ability to play with experienced veterans.

Does Houston actually want to come to pies does he? Has he nominated us? I thought his relationship with Walsh and Voss was the reason why he wanted to go to blues. Why would we want a player so bad that doesn’t want to play for our jumper?
Why don’t we go after Oliver or Smith then? They could make us better too.
Shades of Barry Mitchell

(Log in to remove this ad.)

3 flags in 4 years if we sign Houston. **** me he must be good.
That’s Dan Houston we are talking about yeah?
Yes, that’s the 2x consecutive All-Australian Dan Houston we’re talking about. ~500 metres gained on 20-25 touches each week, with some of the best attacking kicking from the defensive half in the competition.

We’d be regaining the attack from the back half that Nick provided, whilst allowing Nick to remain in the midfield. Sounds pretty good to me

Does Houston actually want to come to pies does he? Has he nominated us? I thought his relationship with Walsh and Voss was the reason why he wanted to go to blues. Why would we want a player so bad that doesn’t want to play for our jumper?
Why don’t we go after Oliver or Smith then? They could make us better too.
You keep bitching about this but the fact is he hasn’t nominated the blues either despite you insisting he wants to go there.

The truth of the matter is his primary objective is to return to Victoria and he’s waiting to see which club can actually facilitate a trade for him before nominating. Whether he has a slight preference for the blues over us is irrelevant, it doesn’t mean that he flat out doesn’t want to play for us.

I thought this one would go the way of the Henry trade and we talk ourselves into a frenzy over the chance of bringing in Houston only to be left flat as tacks when he lands elsewhere. Cornes comments to me though are a reflection of how serious our chase of Houston is. If he’s piping up we’re either in the box seat or as close to as you can get.

There where some Social Media/Facebook Rumors saying deal would be done Quickly

99.9% that just Trolls making stuff up

You keep bitching about this but the fact is he hasn’t nominated the blues either despite you insisting he wants to go there.

The truth of the matter is his primary objective is to return to Victoria and he’s waiting to see which club can actually facilitate a trade for him before nominating. Whether he has a slight preference for the blues over us is irrelevant, it doesn’t mean that he flat out doesn’t want to play for us.
You’re twisting my words. Stop it please.

Of course they would.

What do you think they’re doing about it?
Bringing in Parker, Perryman and Houston? What if Smit was rated top 20 on our draft board for end of year?

I don’t think it’s hard to imagine a scenario where Parker is highly rated internally based on playing senior footy within 8 weeks of commencing in our program. Houston and Perryman will both be on 5+ year contracts starting 2025 if they join us. Smit is of course speculative, but his early showings far exceed any 18yo tall we’ve drafted in an open draft since Grundy, IMO. That mix of athleticism and competitiveness is exciting.

The guts of my point is that the club has done plenty to deserve faith from us and none of the moves we appear to be making are short term.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

Back