List Mgmt. COLLINGWOOD Trade & FA 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Yes. Anyone who believes that Schultz was a last minute thing is naive. You don’t pack up and move to the other side of the country without putting serious thought in to it beforehand.
It was the same with Adams, he was talking to Sydney mid way through last year. These things don't happen at the spur of the moment

Nonsense. If he nominates us we have our future first, potentially a player, and it’s also looking like we’ll be able to use future picks from 2 years in advance. Saying we have nothing is short sighted.

You seem to be forgetting about McGuane

Why is Bailey Smiths ACL not seeming to be a problem injury? Everyone is talking about a player from two seasons ago. Not sure about him.

Definitely not worth first round draft picks because ACL is always going to be speculative.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Not too many clubs in geelong lol

But yeah, if a player was set on someone he would get there.
Just seems Smith wasn't fussed, and who knows, maybe he has decided to rule us out, and he is deciding between hawks and Geelong. Maybe both those clubs were offering more money, who knows.
But from all reports, he was seen looking at houses down near geelong prior to his trip. I think since around then, it was becoming clear those two clubs were front runners.
Someone, on here or somewhere else, said he's sick of city life/wanting country life so maybe that could be a reason for Geelong to be favourites. These aren't the exact words as my memory is like an addict on acid 😂

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2022 off season won us a flag (and if we sneak into the 8, maybe we can pinch another)

However, our drafting and trading before and after that has us teetering and we need to have some development luck (Allan / Ryan / TJ - will they be hits or busts) and some off-season magic to avoid issues once Pendles, Steele, Checkers depart

Not having the young talent coming through that we gave up for Treloar / Beams, the draft hit but loss of Ollie for little, the miss of Holmes, trading future pick 2, IMO the miss of Morris, the loss of trade draft power in 2024
Wrighty really needs to do something with UFA / FAs and ??

Sidebottom was our highest disposal winner with 34 in game 324. Good on him for putting up those numbers but realistically it's double his season average (2nd lowest of career) and at age 33 how many more performances with this kind of production can we reasonably expect?

After Nick on 31 we have Pendlebury at age 36 gathering 24 disposals in game 396. He's a legend but like Sidebottom we have to accept their very best is behind them and what they can provide from here is a bonus. They should be the support act.

Crisp is 30 and just played consecutive game 230. He finished with 3 goals and 24 disposals so made a very valuable contribution. He's a warrior and obviously prepares himself very well but good fortune must still play a part surely after 230 games straight. I hope it continues for our sake.

The conclusion.

That it all starts and ends in the midfield and despite getting 3 notable performances out of 3 veteran midfielders (all above season averages) in support of Nick it still wasn't enough to beat Essendon.

The cliff is coming for our midfield if it hasn't already arrived and acquiring some elite replacement talent is priority No. 1 over the next 2 off seasons.

Sidebottom was our highest disposal winner with 34 in game 324. Good on him for putting up those numbers but realistically it's double his season average (2nd lowest of career) and at age 33 how many more performances with this kind of production can we reasonably expect?

After Nick on 31 we have Pendlebury at age 36 gathering 24 disposals in game 396. He's a legend but like Sidebottom we have to accept their very best is behind them and what they can provide from here is a bonus. They should be the support act.

Crisp is 30 and just played consecutive game 230. He finished with 3 goals and 24 disposals so made a very valuable contribution. He's a warrior and obviously prepares himself very well but good fortune must still play a part surely after 230 games straight. I hope it continues for our sake.

The conclusion.

That it all starts and ends in the midfield and despite getting 3 notable performances out of 3 veteran midfielders (all above season averages) in support of Nick it still wasn't enough to beat Essendon.

The cliff is coming for our midfield if it hasn't already arrived and acquiring some elite replacement talent is priority No. 1 over the next 2 off seasons.

Problem is De Goey isn't consistent as a mid. He has one great game then 4 okay games.

The conclusion.

The cliff is already here.

Some of my takeaways:
  • Frampton needs to be removed from the side. I was amazed that we opted to sub Dean, who I thought played well. I think particularly against Geelong, we will need to go smaller and more mobile with our backline.
  • It's the age old debate, but despite our struggles to get the ball forward, I would play DeGoey predominantly as a forward. I don't think he is fit enough, making him a liability defensively. I really liked the look of Long and I think he is someone we can play in there that can really just do a defensive role in there, supporting Daicos, Crisp and Pendlebury.
  • Brutal blow with the Mihocek injury which will force us to keep Howe forward. I imagine that will be the plan for the next 2-3 weeks to see where McStay and Cox are at upon potential returns. I think you have to bring in McInnes now as some additional support.
  • The Quaynor experiment did not work. I am not sure what the rationale was there. A strange decision given their tall wing set up. I would move him back and play Hoskin-Elliott on the wing.

B: B.Maynard - D.Moore - I.Quaynor
HB: J.Noble - C.Dean - S.Sidebottom
C: J.Daicos - S.Pendlebury - W.Hoskin-Elliott
HF: B.Hill - N.Kreuger - H.Harrison
F: J.DeGoey - J.Howe - L.Schulz
R: D.Cameron - J.Crisp - N.Daicos
I: O.Markov - N.Long - P.Lipinski - R.McInnes
S: J.Richards

IN: R.McInnes, J.Noble
OUT: B.Mihocek, B.Frampton
Wrong thread

You don’t pack up and move to the other side of the country without putting serious thought in to it beforehand.
Don’t think it was a tough choice given he wanted to come home for family reason.
You’re right from the perspective of the work is usually done early on discussions.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back