List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade Talk 2016 part 2 - see Mod Warning p 281

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was poor use of language, but GWS reached for him at 6. Looking back over that draft and what their list was lacking post Davis' injury (serious internal damage can't remember exactly though) and with Corr not really coming on it was justifiable.

For instance would you argue that O'Rouke, Plowman or Stewart in earlier drafts weren't reaches? Because it seems to me most got them right over SOS.

My point was really more that most posters probably have not even seen or barely heard of this Logue fellow to compare him to marchbank and that any many cases bigfooty posters think they know where players are rated when infact most of us have very little idea other than what is feed from the media.

In the case of GWS they could definately afford to take players more on a need basis and speculate more due to the massive amount of high end picks but thats not to say another club did not rate him as a top 10. So the words "where he was supposed to go" I find amusing.

I always have a good laugh after a draft when posters crack it because player x was taken with pick 15 when someone who did a phantom draft had him rated at pick 28.

On the other points- Stewart no idea, as I did not know much about him

As for O'Rourke and Plowman , I knew a fair bit about them and was surprised they went at 2 and 3. One of my best mates coached plowman at Macedon(when not on calder duties) and was staggered he went that high.

He also had a bit to do with O'Rourke as a junior. He rated him as maybe a first rounder but was very surprised to see him go so early. He did however think he would definately be a good player, a ripping kid who for some reason has not really developed.

There in lies the unknown with drafting. These kids get picked up as 18 yos and it is very difficult to predict how much improvement They have in them. Good systems are required but some kids like Orourke who has a great attitude, works hard but has just not come on as expected despite being in 2 good systems and having the right attitude.

Is this just a gut feel or has it been mentioned somewhere that he'll be making a decision this week?
Inner scrotum (Sanctum, sorry North mod term there) information from posters, so yes, take it with a grain of salt. One or two lesser journalists have latched onto it as well as they do. He did meet with Pickering yesterday/Tuesday as you know.

A decision is expected today or tomorrow.

Yo Kangas, thanks for your contribution to the thread and taking the barbs from posters in the humour they're intended.

Wells is all class and fills a need. The issue is getting him out on to the park.
He has no present injury concerns and is over his 2014-15 injuries, the only long-term problem with Wells is that he suffers from apparent soreness more than others due to old injuries and his age.

Yo Kangas, thanks for your contribution to the thread and taking the barbs from posters in the humour they're intended.
No worries, I enjoy opposition boards more than my own a lot of the time. As for the banter, I spend a lot of time on bay 13, I have to have a sense of humour of sorts.

Looking at the age demigraphics of the players that Buckley is interested in.
He would be excited over the news that the roos delisted Nahas and Ray . Our next two dads army recruits .
Maybe were getting some kind of subsidy or grant from the federal government for recruiting pensioners lol..

Looking at the age demigraphics of the players that Buckley is interested in.
He would be excited over the news that the roos delisted Nahas and Ray . Our next two dads army recruits .
Maybe were getting some kind of subsidy or grant from the federal government for recruiting pensioners lol..
I suspect you may be mistaking who Buckley wants for who BF posters think Buckley wants at this stage.

that wont matter. the never ending cycle of losing players and getting first round picks will be broken.

Eventually it will yes, it's going to take some time though and by that stage they could well have multiple premierships. I just hope that by the time Darcy is peaking we have a team to beat them.

God players around 30 are now to old..... Please we were all hoping that swanny at 33 still had a couple of seasons left he must be grandpa status. The fact wells had a bad run over a couple of years doesn't say much for the way he was handled by medicos at North can't just say his body is failing that is only an outsiders view only north have the facts and by them wanting him surely say something about his body atm? Anyway who's to say those couple of years out of the game hasn't helped to prolong his career?

God players around 30 are now to old..... Please we were all hoping that swanny at 33 still had a couple of seasons left he must be grandpa status. The fact wells had a bad run over a couple of years doesn't say much for the way he was handled by medicos at North can't just say his body is failing that is only an outsiders view only north have the facts and by them wanting him surely say something about his body atm? Anyway who's to say those couple of years out of the game hasn't helped to prolong his career?
It's not so much his body not holding up, it's more so the type of injuries he had. Ankle injuries (Achilles) and tendinitis, which Wells had in 2015, are always hard to fix in just one season. He had surgery, which fixed it, but it did for a little while sap the confidence wells had in his body, to launch off, pivot and sprint. In 2014, Petrie accidentally stood on his foot, fracturing it, once again, a hard injury to return from due to loss of fitness and leg strength. He has been fine in 2016, with just a few strains and soreness, here or there, and had no long term issues. Just don't stomp on his feet.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's your opinion. I just trust the poster (a lot) and know how good a journo Caro is. Out of curiosity did you happen to catch Richmond's appointment on Monday?..

That said I will keep the fingers in the ears whilst screaming la la la la option on the table given we were also assured that Gubby was only coming in to work on women's sport :thumbsu:

Caro lost all credibility with her story that Eddie was shopping Swanny around a few years back - when pressed by Gary Lyon on Footy Classified, she admitted it was a RUMOUR that she'd heard, and therefore worthy of reporting as fact.
Lyon made her look like an idiot, and her red face said it all.

Caro lost all credibility with her story that Eddie was shopping Swanny around a few years back - when pressed by Gary Lyon on Footy Classified, she admitted it was a RUMOUR that she'd heard, and therefore worthy of reporting as fact.
Lyon made her look like an idiot, and her red face said it all.

Do you think she's had a chat to Balme this week about his departure from Collingwood? I'm certain this was no rumour. I flat out disagree with the opinion, but I'm hard pressed believing those aren't Gubby's thoughts.

I wouldn't be surprised to see FA compo scrapped or weighted against top 4 teams. The drums will start beating next year so it happens before gws start losing FA's so they don't get compo.

It's the only way to reign in the monster that's been created.
FWIW, the NFL has a rule that the top 4 teams from the previous year cannot pick up a FA unless they lose one.
Supposed to- according to who bigfooty draft experts?

Pendles was expected to go from about 15 to 20 according to draft expects. They go where they are rated by the club that picks them up and thats all that matters.

Be honest. up until the members forum had you heard of this Logue fellow and have you ever seen him play? I had not heard his named mentioned until this week.

I reckon in about 5 years we may have some small idea on who will be better. That is unless one of them is out of the system altogether.

Having said that the chances of either playing for collingwood next year appear slim.

Our resident expert Snoop Dog has been keen on him for a while. That's why Snoops the best on our board and one of the best on BF. Shades KM for mine. We're lucky to have 2 guys that really know their stuff.

Do you think she's had a chat to Balme this week about his departure from Collingwood? I'm certain this was no rumour. I flat out disagree with the opinion, but I'm hard pressed believing those aren't Gubby's thoughts.

I heard Caro first make this statement a few weeks ago before Balme joined.
I'm with you - I think on face value GA is wrong.
But if he actually said "I only rate 3 players as A graders" then that's completely different context, and probably closer to the view of most people.

But Caro would prefer to leave this context out, even if she was aware of it, as it doesn't suit her narrative.

The good news I guess is that even if he doesn't rate the list, there won't be wholesale changes at this point in the year that could disrupt the list and force a restart on the rebuild. The players and coaches have 12 months to prove him wrong I guess.

I do find it odd though that Gubby supposedly has so much input in to our list given he's not the list manager. (Yes I am aware that Hine reports to him)

He has no present injury concerns and is over his 2014-15 injuries, the only long-term problem with Wells is that he suffers from apparent soreness more than others due to old injuries and his age.
Are we trying to lift our average age level with the talk of Wells (31), Dal Santo (34) & Maric?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back