Preview Collingwood vs Essendon, ANZAC Day @ Melbourne Cricket Ground, 2:40PM

Winner?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why Ashby out? Prefer him to either Howlett, Jetta or HArdingham, although Hardingham may be handy if Elliott gets on top of Baguley.

Wasn't great last week and really probably should be nursed through this season.

Why Ashby out? Prefer him to either Howlett, Jetta or HArdingham, although Hardingham may be handy if Elliott gets on top of Baguley.

Because I had Howlett out as the lowest rated mid, but changed my mind with Goddard not playing. Jetta was far from our worst again on Saturday and if you look the Jetta thread you can see my posts about him. I think we need to push him higher and let him play with more freedom to attack the ball and lead where he wants. He is doing some good stuff but seems to be really unsure where to run when playing in "the structure". He also needs to run at the guy who's going to recieve the hand pass if he can't tackle the guy with the ball, I saw him get caught in two minds a few times. This is all confidence.

Hardingham and Carlisle need to be played deeper if they're going to have in impact. Hardingham is also good cover for our defenders. When Dempsey is back and we have a full suite of small defenders and Ambrose is available then I wouldn't be playing Hardingham based upon the last game. Hardy can also play a defensive forward role on Lamumba, who can then push deep, with speed when we win the ball and turn around and lead at the ball carrier once he's close to the hot spot. This should give him a few opportunities one out with a high ball against Lamumba without a chance for a wrestle. If there are only 8 or so opportunities like this in the game I would still back Hardingham to catch 4 or them. If two of those are then goal AND he does a good job in curbing Lamumba's run from defence he's been a good contributer.

Ashby has shown glimpses and Gleeson has been fantastic. However, we need more bigger bodies and and neither are blistering quick. Not picking them doesn't mean I don't think long term both will be great for Essendon.

The St Kilda loss was a typical Essendon loss. At the start of the game (when we were 30 - 12), I told my brother how the game would unfold and it went exactly that way.

Now this game here is a typical game that Essendon would win.
Think Dreamtime at the G last year after the Brisbane loss.

Of course not saying we will win, but definitely have some sort of confidence in the boys to respond after that loss.

Really need Winders back in the side and would bring in TBC if fit for Daniher. Daniher was more of a liability against St Kilda and seemed to be tired, so give him a rest.

I'm going to go with Essendon by 22 points. I'd say that it is close for the first 3 quarters and a half, before we kick away. Similar to the Geelong vs Hawthorn game.

Do yourself a favour and watch football for once. Melksham can easily run with Sidebottom. Stants would destroy Sidebottom with his running ability, like he would with most players.

Watson is our best player at that.

Melksham a player who still has issues with endurance will run with one of the leading endurance footballers in Sidebottom. Melksham should be given the job on Beams.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Have a feeling TBC will play. If so, JD plays as well..

Would allow our structure to be maintained if TBC can't sustain a whole game

This will be a massive mistake like when we played Hille/Ryder/T-Bell. We need a mobile forward line against Collingwood. There pressure has been immense in the last two weeks.

Not afraid of Collingwood's forward line. Cloke has been average all year (I'm not convinced after one okay performance), and we will have White and Elliott covered. What I am wary of is their midfield - and more specifically, the goal-kicking ability of Pendlebury, Swan, Beams et al. We will have to shut down these guys and have our own midfielders kick goals.

I don't want to watch to be honest, although I will - until we start carrying on like the last game

In: Winderlich
Out: Jetta

Keep it simple.

Would like to know and injury update on Hardingham, looked to be carrying something the last two weeks. Really surprised he played against St Kilda.

Derm pointed out a couple of issues that I think are unacceptable, I love JC but he still needs to compete when things aren't going his way.

Bomba on 360 thinks that JC was waiting for the ball to come to him and he should be using his athleticism to run and create a lead.

But I agree with Derms comments.

Carlisle was pretty average, but he's been very good in several games so far. Won't be dropped, but hopefully there will be an attitude change.

I still think he's better down back.

Maybe a not so subtle way to put him on notice

I remember a post match interview done with Carlisle last year when he had swung forward and kicked a match winner (I think Carlton?).. and there was talk of going forward.. I remember that Carlisle was particularly adamant that he didn't like doing it and loves playing down back.

When the swap was mooted in the off season, that interview instantly sprung to mind. I personally believe that Carlisle does not like the attacking role, nor does he want to play it.

I understand that he has been given the job and needs to do it.. but I really really feel we are entering dangerous waters. When you take a near AA CHB and within five weeks of a new season, suggest that he may be dropped... something stinks in the state of Denmark.

Yes Hurley is doing better after going back.. but from all accounts he was happy playing forward and despite some popular beliefs on this forum, Hurley did quite a few nice things up forward last year. I think Carlisle needs to go back, needs to get back in form and is far too valuable to languish.

Going to be a tough tough ask to win if we lose Goddard and Carlisle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back