List Mgmt. Collingwood's 2014 Draft - Targets and Strategy (confirmed, we finished 11th)

Remove this Banner Ad

So Sydney get Heeney with their first pick which will be high teens when he is a top 5 kid.

Meanwhile we gotta use our pick 8 for Moore.

**** Sydney the ******* cheats. Hope the lose in the GF by a point.

Agree with that. That is way to much of a Gap. Top 3 Prospect at Pick 16-20:mad:

We can dream about Moore with second pick but I think we have made a complete hash about making it all so public. Carlton will KNOW we are going to take him regardless so will nominate safe In the fact we will use our pick one. Just to stymie us. We should have told him and his family we would be taking him and left it at that. Not had him playing for the vfl side etc. that is just throwing a little something to desperate supporters. If we had left any sort of doubt about it all the clubs above us would be wary about nominating him. Let's face, it's not like he is a clear top three pick or anything. We are paying basically full value if we take him at eight or nine.
Just my two bobs worth

Zero chance we will get Moore 2nd round this is where the systems screws us over
I think it is likely we will have to use our 1st rounder because I think one of the teams around 5-7 in the picks is likely to rate Moore as worth their pick. However if all those teams maybe have him at around 9-10 on their list I don't believe they will nominate him.

E.g dogs have pick 5 and their recruiting team rate Moore as worth pick 8. Do you really think they would nominate him and risk having Hine pass on him just to force us to use pick 8. If Collingwood pass suddenly they miss out on a kid they rated much better than Moore.

Where a F/S draft rating falls just about where the club with access has a pick it becomes unpredictable what other clubs will do.

We can dream about Moore with second pick but I think we have made a complete hash about making it all so public. Carlton will KNOW we are going to take him regardless so will nominate safe In the fact we will use our pick one. Just to stymie us. We should have told him and his family we would be taking him and left it at that. Not had him playing for the vfl side etc. that is just throwing a little something to desperate supporters. If we had left any sort of doubt about it all the clubs above us would be wary about nominating him. Let's face, it's not like he is a clear top three pick or anything. We are paying basically full value if we take him at eight or nine.
Just my two bobs worth
I doubt clubs believe it is not possible we may pass on Moore. We have played other F/S prospects in the VFL recent years and then passed on them.

Other significant factor is we have unexpectedly moved up the draft order in the last month so the dynamic has changed. Most of the season it looked like we might need to use a pick around 10-14 and Moore was always going to be worth more than that. A major changed has happened and that will influence what clubs do.

I think it is likely we will have to use our 1st rounder because I think one of the teams around 5-7 in the picks is likely to rate Moore as worth their pick. However if all those teams maybe have him at around 9-10 on their list I don't believe they will nominate him.

E.g dogs have pick 5 and their recruiting team rate Moore as worth pick 8. Do you really think they would nominate him and risk having Hine pass on him just to force us to use pick 8. If Collingwood pass suddenly they miss out on a kid they rated much better than Moore.

Where a F/S draft rating falls just about where the club with access has a pick it becomes unpredictable what other clubs will do.

I agree, and especially so early in the draft.

Do you think potential trades involving Carlton, Bulldogs, Jaksch and O'Rourke (among others which we are yet to hear of) could have a bearing on the outcome of the F/S bidding?

Yes How will it screw us over. We get Moore 1st Round for Probably about what he is Rated at the Lowest end
It's the one thing vic clubs have over interstate clubs and your happy with it.

Interstate clubs get academies, more salary cap. When a player wants to come home to vic they pick from 10 clubs, when they want to go back home to wa or sa that only get have 2 to pick from. We have to start dishing out your money and my money to other clubs and the one thing we had a little upper hand on gets taking away. how can you be happy with that.

I agree, and especially so early in the draft.

Do you think potential trades involving Carlton, Bulldogs, Jaksch and O'Rourke (among others which we are yet to hear of) could have a bearing on the outcome of the F/S bidding?

Has the Potential but they would have to be Pretty Sure that the Trade/s will happen

Even if clubs do rate Moore higher than their pick how many of them are going to want to lock their pick away before the trade period and a month before the draft. (I do believe we will be forced to use our first pick though)

Well that Depends on what they know about how the Club Rates there Father/Son Prospect.

Think it’s well known that Collingwood will use the 1st Rounder to make sure we get Moore

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Clubs 5/7 won't force our hand, why would a club lock in Moore if it is possible to get a slider. Example shazza sliding to 6 and Aish to 7. Promblem being that one of the top 5 clubs might rate Moore like the Bulldogs rated Bontempelli.
It is possible that Moore could slide to our secound round it is also possible that Moore could go top five. Time will tell.

I doubt clubs believe it is not possible we may pass on Moore. We have played other F/S prospects in the VFL recent years and then passed on them.

Other significant factor is we have unexpectedly moved up the draft order in the last month so the dynamic has changed. Most of the season it looked like we might need to use a pick around 10-14 and Moore was always going to be worth more than that. A major changed has happened and that will influence what clubs do.

I don't think we have left any doubt on Moore. We just needed to be slightly less gung-ho and we may have gotten a bargain. Now if he is a bust it is triply painful

Even if clubs do rate Moore higher than their pick how many of them are going to want to lock their pick away before the trade period and a month before the draft. (I do believe we will be forced to use our first pick though)

Just Carlton. just to mess with us.

Everyone needs to get over Sydney. If we finished 1st and got Moore with pick 18-20 no one would be complaining.

The issue isn't Sydney they're doing what's in the rules. The academy is the problem, only Gold Coast and GWS should be given an academy.

Everyone needs to get over Sydney. If we finished 1st and got Moore with pick 18-20 no one would be complaining.

The issue isn't Sydney they're doing what's in the rules. The academy is the problem, only Gold Coast and GWS should be given an academy.
If we got buddy and Tippett after 2010 I wouldn't have a problem with anything

Pick 9 we will get once Frawley goes as well makes even harder to get Moore 2nd round
Melbournes compo is irrelevant. Bidding is done before trade and FA period. There's no way Melbourne could know what kind of compo they'll recieve if Frawley leaves at bidding time.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Collingwood's 2014 Draft - Targets and Strategy (confirmed, we finished 11th)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back