List Mgmt. Collingwood's 2014 Draft - Targets and Strategy (confirmed, we finished 11th)

Remove this Banner Ad

I can't see WCE having it in for North? Entirely expect Carlton to however.

Does Collingwood have an amicable relationship with any clubs?

Seems we get along fairly well with GWS...

I don't think we have left any doubt on Moore. We just needed to be slightly less gung-ho and we may have gotten a bargain. Now if he is a bust it is triply painful
No the doubt has only been created in the last few weeks. Even coming into the Brisbane game we expected to win we looked a good chance to be playing finals. Suddenly teams who may have nominated Moore with picks 9, 10, 11, 12. Etc won't have that chance. Suddenly Collingwood has pick 8 in its hand when it was expecting pick 11 or higher.

Whatever message other clubs thought they had from us re Moore was based on us using pick 11+. Suddenly it is 8 and Hine has passed on F/S's who other clubs subsequently picked up in the recent past (Stewart, Kelly).

I don't believe anyone will force our hand by nominating a pick for Moore that don't think he is worth. That would be stupid for them. If say Hine has Moore at 9 himself and another team nominates him it means we are suddenly looking at a player Hine rates at 7 or better instead of Moore. If someone he really rates slides a place or 2 we may get Hines no 5 for pick 8. If that occurs Hine will pass on Moore and the other club will have done themselves a disservice by using say pick 5 on a player they rated no 9 in the draft

It's all going to come down to where a few other clubs and Hine rate Moore. If the stars align we can end up getting him with our 2nd rounder.

What if we call bluff? Wait til the eleventh hour to fax our intent?
We have to nominate by 2pm Friday October 3.
Clubs bidding meeting 10am Monday October 6.
They (other clubs) have the weekend to digest & decide whether to bid or not.

No the doubt has only been created in the last few weeks. Even coming into the Brisbane game we expected to win we looked a good chance to be playing finals. Suddenly teams who may have nominated Moore with picks 9, 10, 11, 12. Etc won't have that chance. Suddenly Collingwood has pick 8 in its hand when it was expecting pick 11 or higher.

Whatever message other clubs thought they had from us re Moore was based on us using pick 11+. Suddenly it is 8 and Hine has passed on F/S's who other clubs subsequently picked up in the recent past (Stewart, Kelly).

I don't believe anyone will force our hand by nominating a pick for Moore that don't think he is worth. That would be stupid for them. If say Hine has Moore at 9 himself and another team nominates him it means we are suddenly looking at a player Hine rates at 7 or better instead of Moore. If someone he really rates slides a place or 2 we may get Hines no 5 for pick 8. If that occurs Hine will pass on Moore and the other club will have done themselves a disservice by using say pick 5 on a player they rated no 9 in the draft

It's all going to come down to where a few other clubs and Hine rate Moore. If the stars align we can end up getting him with our 2nd rounder.

Totally agree Moore is far from being a lock in first rounder, too close to call.

Once we nominate the F/S & another club bids, are we are locked in?...or can we still pass?
For example Carlton bid their 1st round pick (6), so we have to use our pick 8 or can we pass & select another player?

Once we nominate the F/S & another club bids, are we are locked in?...or can we still pass?
For example Carlton bid their 1st round pick (6), so we have to use our pick 8 or can we pass & select another player?

We would start by nominating a later pick, and if someone bids before that, we have the option to bid again with a lower pick.

No we can opt out, wouldn't work if you couldn't. In your example Carlton would be obliged to take Moore and we would use pick 8 in the draft with the knowledge pick 6 was already committed to a player we rated worse than no 6

We would start by nominating a later pick, and if someone bids before that, we have the option to bid again with a lower pick.
I think it starts with other teams nominating one of their picks for the player (Moore) we then get the chance to use our next pick in the draft after the lowest nomination if we want to secure Moore.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think it starts with other teams nominating one of their picks for the player (Moore) we then get the chance to use our next pick in the draft after the lowest nomination if we want to secure Moore.

Apparently we nominate on the 2nd of October and other clubs' bidding happens on the 6th. Not sure exactly of the mechanics though so you could well be correct.

We have to nominate by 2pm Friday October 3.
Clubs bidding meeting 10am Monday October 6.
They (other clubs) have the weekend to digest & decide whether to bid or not.
Yes but by nominating a father son we have not yet committed just nominated out interest and we haven't placed a bid(draft choice) at that stage.

Yes but by nominating a father son we have not yet committed just nominated out interest and we haven't placed a bid(draft choice) at that stage.

Thought that by nominating we may be committing our last pick possibly? Either way, it doesn't really matter. Thanks for the insight, though :)

Actually, we don't nominate a pick at all. We simply nominate Darcy as FS. Other teams can place their bid, and we simply have the option to match the bid with our next available pick, or pass.

Edit: and yes, by nominating him we are committing to him with our last pick in the scenario that nobody bids.

No we can opt out, wouldn't work if you couldn't. In your example Carlton would be obliged to take Moore and we would use pick 8 in the draft with the knowledge pick 6 was already committed to a player we rated worse than no 6
Yes, makes sense, otherwise clubs would always bid their 1st round, if there was no risk of the nominating team passing.
I doubt clubs would bid just to force a club to use their first round.
They will rank the draft prospects & then decide if the player fits into their draft strategy.
If Carlton have Moore ranked 7th, then I would not expect them to bid their pick 6 for him.
Hopefully all clubs with picks 1 to 7 have Moore ranked pick 8 or higher, hence they do not nominate.

That's correct, if we nominate and nobody bids we must take him with our last selection.

That's what I meant when I said we start by bidding a later pick (our last live pick or whatever), which we are doing by nominating him. :thumbsu:

Glad to have that cleared up anyway.

Actually, we don't nominate a pick at all. We simply nominate Darcy as FS. Other teams can place their bid, and we simply have the option to match the bid with our next available pick, or pass.

Edit: and yes, by nominating him we are committing to him with our last pick in the scenario that nobody bids.

Which means that before trade period(please correct me if I am wrong) and before the draft, clubs with picks one - seven can lock Darcy in, effectively removing that draft pick from the trade period and using the pick for players sliding in the draft a month later. They have to be 100% certain Darcy is their man!

Which means that before trade period(please correct me if I am wrong) and before the draft, clubs with picks one - seven can lock Darcy in, effectively removing that draft pick from the trade period and using the pick for players sliding in the draft a month later. They have to be 100% certain Darcy is their man!
You are 100% correct. If A team nominates Darcy, they would want to be absolutely certain that they want him more than anyone else in the draft or anyone they could possibly trade their first round pick for.
If Carlton are really into Jaksch as much as has been reported, they could be hesitant to risk their first rounder on Darcy.

Darcy Moore going first rounder sound pretty 50/50 to me

Not sure where to put this but found this interesting on an article i found on 'mature' aged players.

THE BUSH
Jack Brauman, Bannockburn (Geelong and District FL), 18
Appointed Bannockburn's captain at just 18 years of age, it comes as no surprise Brauman has reportedly been under the watchful eye of Collingwood recruiters in several games this season. An on-baller with an incredible work ethic, Brauman won Bannockburn's best-and-fairest last season.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Collingwood's 2014 Draft - Targets and Strategy (confirmed, we finished 11th)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back