Collingwood's decline

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is this buckleys third year? I think it is too early in his coaching career to be judging harshly. It is his list now and made the changes that he felt necessary. If this is how they were performing 2 years from now I'd be worried, but. Lot of time between now and then.

Start to the season is the first game. If you want to bracket five games as the start, he should say except for the first game, our start was good. Was flabbergasted when he said it.

I think you're reaching for reasons to criticise, and making way more of the wording than there is.

Can't say I've ever seen Buckley "flabbergasted" in any press conference, either.

Well, considering since their 2011 GF they have lost Shaw, Maxwell, Thomas, Johnson, Brown, Didak, Jolly, Krakouer, Davis, Dawes, Wellingham...Swan and Ball have both lost their fitness and are so not as effective. Fasolo, who was an up and comer around that time, has also had a couple of seasons affected by injury.

They have added Kennedy, Broomhead, Grundy, Scharenberg, Adams, Freeman, Langdon, Thomas and Frost to their list in that time (I think - maybe some of those had just done their 1st year). N.Brown to come back into the side having been injury affected.

Inevitable drop. Drafting well at the moment. Won't be down for long. They have added Young and Lynch (wow..) through free agency but it's not long until they land an actual big fish through that method.
Are they young because Buckley couldn't manage Thomas and Shaw like Mick?

It was Buckley who chased White, Young, Russell, Armstrong and Lynch who aren't developing players.

They spend more money on their players than a third world country. They shouldn't be ninth on the ladder and three games ahead of Carlton. They lost to the Dogs who are a young side without a decent spine. Deserve a whack after we've copped it all year.

Well there's still five rounds to go, three of which contain very winnable games (West Coast, Brisbane, GWS) for us. The onus is still on Essendon, Adelaide and the Gold Coast to not put a foot wrong themselves over the next five weeks. Nobody is truly "in" and nobody is truly "out" yet.

I would suggest you are a silly shot at upsetting Port. They haven't been that fantastic.

Short term pain for, they would be expecting, long term gain.
They have offloaded some very good players in the last couple of years for good returns at the draft table.
remains to be seen how many winners they've picked but the guy that does the picking there (Hine?) has a pretty good strike rate.
A lot of their younger players seem quite short which is against the trend but everyone they have debuted looks promising at least.
I reserve my judgement till next year.

Collingwood missing only two best 22 players get well beaten at home in a must win game to the tenth placed side. Yeah nothing wrong here!!

Writing was on the wall after round 1. Sure they fought back a little, but on closer inspection they beat Swans Round 2 (We all know Swans started year poorly) They beat Richmond, North, Carlton and Essendon who were all travelling poorly.

They fell over the line against the WCE. Before pumping the Saints and getting rid of a pesky Melbourne side.

Since then 5 losses out of 6.

Nowhere near top 5. From 6th to 14th in general there isn't much difference.

So for the bloke saying we ain't that far off it, you're also not that far off 14th.

B:5 Nick Maxwell (c)16 Nathan Brown34 Alan Toovey
HB:8 Harry O'Brien20 Ben Reid39 Heath Shaw
C:21 Sharrod Wellingham36 Dane Swan26 Ben Johnson
HF:
4 Alan Didak32 Travis Cloke12 Luke Ball
F:17 Dayne Beams31 Chris Dawes22 Steele Sidebottom
Foll:18 Darren Jolly10 Scott Pendlebury13 Dale Thomas
Int:47 Jarryd Blair30 Brent Macaffer6 Tyson Goldsack
15 Leigh Brown
5 (including Maxwell) retirements.
4 players traded/allowed to go in free agency
2 declining players not playing today in Ball and Swan, 1 who will likely retire, 1 who may or may not find a run of top form again
2 other injured in Brown and Toovey

Good bye majority of premiership side within 4 years.

Interesting model going down a rebuilding mode instead of following the Hawthorn model of trading post 2008. The Hawks fixed deficiencies that bobbed up by bringing in Lake, Gibson and Gunston. As well as a bit of mature drafting (Puopolo, Isaac Smith and Stratton) and some drafting at the picks they had (Shiel and Hill).

I feel for guys like Pendles, Beams, Cloke and Sidebottom who probably thought they had 5 year of success in front of them post 2010 but instead had the team torn apart and only got Clinton Young and Lynch in as mature help (and then Jessie White!).

All in all I think given the list strategy adopted the plan is going ok. They had no rights to play finals this year if they had injuries and they've lost 2 talls for most of the year, Swan and Maxwell plus others here and there.

Don't hate Buckley's coaching. Don't rate his list management plan. Seems to be the inverse Voss. It's fair enough to sell a rebuild when you are Alan Richardson or McCartney taking over a bottom side. Not so convinced on taking over a grand final team and going for a rebuild.

A decent crowd for a Sunday twilight game against an interstate team.

A non-Victorian team that has a large amount of local support from ex-pats living in Melbourne, easily over 5k of that crowd would have been ours, possibly as much as 10k

For a club with 70k members and finals on the line, only 30k showing up to the MCG - even in the shitty twilight slot - isn't great

I think you're reaching for reasons to criticise, and making way more of the wording than there is.

Can't say I've ever seen Buckley "flabbergasted" in any press conference, either.

Me flabbergasted. Not your coach. Not a press conference either. In between the warm up and the start of the Essendon game. He said it as if the round one had not hurt. I said to myself, if that is where the opposition are at, we will win this.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Me flabbergasted. Not your coach. Not a press conference either. In between the warm up and the start of the Essendon game. He said it as if the round one had not hurt. I said to myself, if that is where the opposition are at, we will win this.

Good on you.

Whenever it was said, I still think you're reading way too much into it.

Amazing the decline, some where predicting premierships galore after the 2010 season.
as they were after the 1990 season
, the fact is collingwood flags are extremely rare not as rare as some teams.......but very rare

the"experts" suchas caroline wilson, will tip them or the flag every year so they ddont wake up with horses head in their bed

Same thing is happening to Port ATM as well. Port stored more wins before they hit the wall, but both teams started the year well above expectations and their young players have hit the wall.

How could a side that's touted to be the fittest in the competition hit a wall? The truth is they haven't hit a wall, they've had injuries to key players and haven't properly covered them. Was bound to happen eventually.

How could a side that's touted to be the fittest in the competition hit a wall? The truth is they haven't hit a wall, they've had injuries to key players and haven't properly covered them. Was bound to happen eventually.
They've had about 2 injuries albeit to important players. This shouldn't relegate them to below a middle of the road side.

Looking back at that Collingwood side of 2010-2012 which played in 2 grand finals and a prelim. They were a good side with good depth.

As good as Heath Shaw was, he was undisciplined in important moments. I think Leigh Brown retired 1-2 season too early. Davis was delisted 1-2 seasons too early as well but they had to get rid of him as they didnt have enough money to keep him after signing Daisy thomas and Dane swan to new deals in 2011. a fully fit Dale Thomas would be handy right now but the most the pies could offer was $500,000 a year and he took the Carlton deal at $700-750,000 a year at carlton.

Wellingham in my opinion will be this decades Des Headland. Des Looked good at the lions with Voss, Lappin, Aker, Scott boys etc in the midfield, Then went to freo, he gets no protection and was crap as he was tagged out. Wellingham Looked good in a good side in Collingwood with Swan, Ball, Thomas, Sidebottom and Beams in the side. He goes to west coast, gets no protection and struggles to get the ball. rest of those guys that have been gone due to retirement.

We decided to keep spuds like Maccaffer and Goldsack

They've had about 2 injuries albeit to important players. This shouldn't relegate them to below a middle of the road side.

It's not always the quantity of injuries which matters most but the quality. Port rely so heavily on their rebound off half back. Losing Trengrove and Carlisle robs them of one of their greatest strengths.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back