Collo needs to cut back on his meds

Remove this Banner Ad

I hate 'em. I reckon they are a bunch of arrogant tossers. Hated their players for years, reckon their supporters are the worst bunch going around and have remarkably little time for the $$ chasing curly headed budgy face currently pretending to be their coach.

I would hate to see them re-locate, fold or merge. They are a huge part of this game.

Having said that, I suppose we could take them over. We will call it a merger. We can play out of the new Arden Street, call ourselves the Kangaroos, wear blue and white stripes (royal blue, of course) and give Pago a job putting out witches hats every 2nd Tuesday.

If they beg ;) .

Being a North supporter I have absolutely no qualms sticking the boots into Carlton while they're down.

I do however have some sympathy with their suporters (as it's they're not to blame for the current state of affairs, but they do elect their board of directors).

It wasn't that long ago that Carlton tried taking us over via buying up shares on the stock exchange to pick the eyes out of our playing list. For that they'll never be forgiven (even if it was under Elliott). Might be a few different faces running the show these days, but it's the same $hit & smell seeping out of their boardroom.

NorthBhoy said:
I hate 'em. I reckon they are a bunch of arrogant tossers. Hated their players for years, reckon their supporters are the worst bunch going around and have remarkably little time for the $$ chasing curly headed budgy face currently pretending to be their coach.

I would hate to see them re-locate, fold or merge. They are a huge part of this game.

Having said that, I suppose we could take them over. We will call it a merger. We can play out of the new Arden Street, call ourselves the Kangaroos, wear blue and white stripes (royal blue, of course) and give Pago a job putting out witches hats every 2nd Tuesday.

If they beg ;) .
You don't have the money or supporter base to take over a Scout club since you're are actually accessing the CBF to survive.

Why was that again?

JeffDunne said:
What about other Victorain clubs . . . not mentioning any names.

St Kilda were on the skids. As were Tigers, Dees, Dogs.

Regardless of what Collins/Elliott may have said at the time, I never knew of any Blues supporters extracting as much perverse glee from another club's hardship as many are now with Carlton.

Oh well, that's the price of sustained success at other clubs' expense I guess.

KnaveyBlue said:
Oh well, that's the price of sustained success at other clubs' expense I guess.
So the smarmy arrogance of your supporters would have nothing to do with it?

It was tolerated when you were a good club but it's now coming back to bite you on the arse.

Saints were in the skids????????

newsflash....

they are still in deep trouble. they are recovering at the moment, they are making progress in getting rid of a lot of old trouble but by no means are they safe. In fact it would only take one or two bad years on field and they would be shaking those cans again.

St.Kilda are as good as they can be off field and are relying on the current crop to do something that all bar 19 other men have never done at st kilda and that is win a flag.

no wonder they will do anything to keep the current group.

Lidge said:
Less chance of getting North Melbourne play there. We have a commitment with Canberra (1 x pre season & 3 x H&A gamers per annum)

Collingwood's agreement to the MCG is as concrete as any Telstra Dome tennant.

Looks like everyone is locked in elsewhere. If they want to use it, let Carlton play 11 games there.

No one wants to train there, let alone play games at that rancid dump of a ground except for Carlton supporters.

Burn the joint (with the bastards in it;) )
If no-one wants to train there, why are certain clubs still using it for pre-season training and intra-club games? Why are practice games being played there by clubs other than Carlton? Where would these clubs be training and playing this time of year if the ground was no longer available? It would seem some Melbourne based clubs are more than happy to access the top quality playing surface whilst there own venues have cricket pitches stuck in the middle.

Newsflash elgranto!!!

This thread is about Carlton, not St Kilda.

BTW, St Kilda will have no debt and will record another million+ profit this year and projections are that this will occur for at least the next season with current contracts in place. We have a young list the envy of the league with most of the key players locked up until the end of 2007. Now if, and I do mean if, we win a flag, expect those numbers to get bigger.

Now you were saying . . . . :)

lazy said:
Would love to see good old Carlton up here as Sydneys second team.

What about the Blacktown Blues??
If we moved to Sydney would we get the same financial underwriting as the Swans did? Would the AFL send their best administrator to turn the club around? Would we get the best deal on the salary cap? Would love to know how long the Swans would have survived if the VFL/AFL and its member clubs hadn't carried them for so long. It even took a Carlton supporter, in the 80s, to at least recruit some decent players to the club and turn them into a reasonably successful club for a short period of time. No-one from Sydney should ever mock a Victorian based team, because those teams have helped prop the Swans up for so long.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

JeffDunne said:
Newsflash elgranto!!!

This thread is about Carlton, not St Kilda.

BTW, St Kilda will have no debt and will record another million+ profit this year and projections are that this will occur for at least the next season with current contracts in place. We have a young list the envy of the league with most of the key players locked up until the end of 2007. Now if, and I do mean if, we win a flag, expect those numbers to get bigger.

Now you were saying . . . . :)
Sounds like elgranto was just doing a comparison. But of course you can't touch the Saints, they are sacred territory.

FWIW, you are dining out on the exposure of the Carlton members to $50 contributions should the club fold. Of course we could always take the 7c in the dollar road and then we would be totally out of debt.

R.I.P. Trevor Barker.

NorthBhoy said:

If they beg ;) .
I wasn't aware that clubs accessing the CBF were allowed to use this charity to buy out other clubs. Save your platitudes for when your club is actually standing on its own 2 feet (if that ever happens).

mediumsizered said:
If no-one wants to train there, why are certain clubs still using it for pre-season training and intra-club games? Why are practice games being played there by clubs other than Carlton?

Because the AFL says where the clubs play their practice matches. NAB Cup & Challenger games for those knocked out of the main pre season comp.

Do you honestly believe that anyone would choose to play practice matches in Cairns, Darwin, Whyalla, Mandurah & Alice Springs?

Lidge said:
Because the AFL says where the clubs play their practice matches. NAB Cup & Challenger games for those knocked out of the main pre season comp.

Do you honestly believe that anyone would choose to play practice matches in Cairns, Darwin, Whyalla, Mandurah & Alice Springs?
Do they also tell them where to hold their pre-season training and where to play their intra-club practice matches before the pre-season competition commences? No, they don't. Where else would you suggest teams, whose greatest assets are their players, train?. Essendon at Cross Keys Park, maybe. The Kangaroos at Kensington, maybe. I think the clubs gave up on that a few years ago. They want to train on a venue where the risk of injury is reduced.

gnomey said:
2 Essendon home games

As unsexy as it would be for Essendon/Richmond playing home games there, they would be cost-neutral for those clubs (lower gate receipts offset by lower ground hire costs) if they played interstate clubs at Princes Park.

Essendon have a clause in the contract they signed with the AFL and Telstra Dome that stipulates they cannot be fixtured to play Home and Away games at optus.

Essendon put that in for a reason so forget about any return to optarse.

mediumsizered said:
Sounds like elgranto was just doing a comparison. But of course you can't touch the Saints, they are sacred territory.

FWIW, you are dining out on the exposure of the Carlton members to $50 contributions should the club fold. Of course we could always take the 7c in the dollar road and then we would be totally out of debt.

R.I.P. Trevor Barker.
mediumsizered, I know you want to talk about St Kilda and the 1980's, but maybe you could answer my question on why the football club is invoicing the social club for $388K per year in management fees.

Interestingly it increased by $200K this year, almost exactly the amount the football club are declaring as a profit. If you take the 200K from the Wizard Cup, the 388K they are billing to the social club (themselves), the football club are still trading at a loss of around 400K (although I accept prize money is legit income - however it won't be there this year).

Is there a reason for this "management fee" or is it simply so the football club can declare a profit?

JeffDunne said:
mediumsizered, I know you want to talk about St Kilda and the 1980's, but maybe you could answer my question on why the football club is invoicing the social club for $388K per year in management fees.

Interestingly it increased by $200K this year, almost exactly the amount the football club are declaring as a profit. If you take the 200K from the Wizard Cup, the 388K they are billing to the social club (themselves), the football club are still trading at a loss of around 400K (although I accept prize money is legit income - however it won't be there this year).

Is there a reason for this "management fee" or is it simply so the football club can declare a profit?
Feel free to come out and say what you really mean. I know exactly what you are alluding to, but I am not going to say if for you. Don't hold back, JD. That's not like you.

Hornet said:
For what it's worth...

http://carltonfc.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&spg=display&articleid=249547

Carlton’s Financial Results for 2005
2:39:57 PM Mon 6 March, 2006
Carlton Footballl Club
Carlton Football Club and Social Club, although announcing an overall loss has achieved the financial targets set for 2005.

“The Club has a business model prepared by independent experts in 2004 that involves a three year financial strategy to return the Club to a cash neutral position by the end of 2007. The 2005 results for the Club, the first year of this three year strategy, are in line with the targets that were set,” announced Carlton President, Mr Ian Collins AM.

“The relocation of Carlton’s home games was a key in the Club achieving these targets in 2005. Without re-locating our home games our forecasts indicated we would have exceeded the financial facility available to the Club during by a significant amount 2005 and while our cash flow improved in 2005 – our position is still precarious,” added Mr Collins AM.

Last year the Club stated that the level of debt and cash flow were a problem and as a result of our poor on-field performance in 2005 Carlton has been very conservative in planning for 2006 but its cash flow position remains precarious.

“Our debt levels are relatively close to our financial facilities limit,” said Mr Collins AM.

The Carlton Football Club announced a net profit of $188,519, a marked improvement on the loss of $2.157million in 2004. The Football Club revenue increased by $3.462million in 2005 to $19.795million while expenses increased by $1.116million to $19.606million.

A number of key issues contributed to the Football Club’s improved financial results:

•Strong sponsorship position highlighted by:
Joint major sponsors in Optus and Dan Murphy’s
New short sponsor - K&S Freighters
Introduction of the Inner Blue Coach’s sponsorship group

•Wizard Cup Premiership

•Record Membership of 33,535

•Attendances at home games increased by 14%

The Carlton Cricket & Football Social Club announced a net loss of $1,117,526.

A number of key issues contributed to this financial performance:

•Holding and maintenance costs of the venue.

•Settlement of existing contracts and loss of catering rights income.

•Preparation of financial and legal submissions in relation to the Australian Taxation Office review

“We have maintained our sponsorship levels with both Optus and Dan Murphy’s continuing, along with K&S Freighters and we are confident of announcing a new coach’s sponsorship very soon and this is in addition to the Inner Blue Coach’s sponsorship group that is also continuing in 2006.

“While our cash position remains extremely tight, 2005 was a marked improvement for Carlton and in line with year one of our three year strategy,”

...."Don't ******** on my back and tell me it's raining"
Denis Pagan ;)

the management fees increase was mainly due to the farwell of princess park & the work involved in the tax issue the social club was facing, which has since been delt with and saved the club over $1 million.

JeffDunne said:

I think the answer is quite simple JD. It's called "internal charges" and is quite common amongst large companies with different subsidiares. It basically hides shortfalls in revenue by simply shifting costs to the most non-profitable part of the business, probably to have the biggest tax minimisation where possible.

elgranto said:
the management fees increase was mainly due to the farwell of princess park & the work involved in the tax issue the social club was facing, which has since been delt with and saved the club over $1 million.
The football club are providing tax advice to the social club? :confused:

If the social club are responsible for the ground upkeep why then are the football club managing it? And why are they charging so much?

Collo wouldn't be trying to make the social clubs figures worse so they can fold it would he?

Also, why fold the social club if they are going to try and redevelop the ground? Would it not make sense to keep the social club and the pokies if the ground is to be returned to an AFL venue (under their plan)? Another director's self-interest involved here with a big pokies venue just up the road?

itsintheblood said:
I think the answer is quite simple JD. It's called "internal charges" and is quite common amongst large companies with different subsidiares. It basically hides shortfalls in revenue by simply shifting costs to the most non-profitable part of the business, probably to have the biggest tax minimisation where possible.
The football club doesn't pay income tax.

Anyhow, if they did, this decision would be the complete reverse of what you'd do. The invoice makes the football club profitable, the social club regardless would be showing a loss.

Remove this Banner Ad

Collo needs to cut back on his meds

Remove this Banner Ad

Back