Toast Conca Coming Of Age

Remove this Banner Ad

He's not a spud, don't be ridiculous, I think he is a future champ. But his game tonight was horrible and would be contributing to our poor DE% (what the heck happened to that, it was great at the start of the season)

If we didn't butcher the ball, we would have won by 5+ goals. I would delist Conca right now if i could...

Catching the Richmond disease? Still reckon the worst he'll be is a solid b grader (using the stupid Parko Scale).

Second year AFL players are the least of our concerns. Seventh & eighth year year duds, one or two much vaunted "retreads" and, dare I say it, third year coaches on the other hand....o_O

Hate saying tnis, but Conca's game tonight was one of the worst i have seen by one of our players in 10 years. His kicking was awful. He was a train wreck out there.
Where is he best suited to play Tug? Is he more outside or inside? There's ability there, but I'm just not sure where he's best. Gives away a lot of free-kicks at the moment.

Where is he best suited to play Tug? Is he more outside or inside? There's ability there, but I'm just not sure where he's best. Gives away a lot of free-kicks at the moment.

Too soft to play inside, and lacks the skill or pace to play outside. Best position is in the stands.

^ Was waiting for that :D.

It's an interesting comment though. People sometimes lay into Grigg on here, but we all know he's as outside as they come. To be fair, he's playing that role pretty well, wouldn't want him under the high ball, but he runs hard and creates space and is a good link.

So where is Reece most suited to play? Forward?

This kid has shown me absloutely nothing to warrant a pick 6 selection. We need to forget about where he is selected and hope he becomes a foot soldier, at the moment if he wanted to go home i would trade him without blinking
He looks lost on the footy ground
I am still trying to work out his best attribute on the footy field

^ Was waiting for that :D.

It's an interesting comment though. People sometimes lay into Grigg on here, but we all know he's as outside as they come. To be fair, he's playing that role pretty well, wouldn't want him under the high ball, but he runs hard and creates space and is a good link.

So where is Reece most suited to play? Forward?
In the midfield just not as a tagger.

Just have to shake your head and laugh at some of the comments on here.

Yep , have to agree JR. I thought Concs was given the run with role with Murphy as a leaning experince. As far as the frees given away by concs. After the replays I just shook my head. The umps must have decided pre game that they would target what was going on around bounces and were very hard on anything that even remotely looked like it might be a hold off the ball. But for me on the replay concs did absolutely nothing wrong . Murphy did a great job of selling it though. given the size/weight difference between them. For the record I think Reece will be very very good another couple of preseasons and I think if he keeps going as he is I think we'll be very hard pressed to find any real weaknesses in his game.

Has a very awkward body shape. Almost looks overweight. Not sure about Reece. Heppell would have been a better option in hindsight.
Saw Reece yesterday at Victoria Gardens. Not overweight at all, reckon it might be the way he runs.

I do think that by now Reece should be averaging 25 disposals per game at about 80% DE, and pushing forward to kick at least two goals per game. I mean, come on, he's in his second year, he's had plenty of time to reach Cotch's or Lid's level. Questions need to be asked of all second year players that have been thrown into the middle and asked to do the job of a seasoned player like Axel. There's no reason why he shouldn't be delivering.

I do think that by now Reece should be averaging 25 disposals per game at about 80% DE, and pushing forward to kick at least two goals per game. I mean, come on, he's in his second year, he's had plenty of time to reach Cotch's or Lid's level. Questions need to be asked of all second year players that have been thrown into the middle and asked to do the job of a seasoned player like Axel. There's no reason why he shouldn't be delivering.

Lids played 21 games, averaged 18 disposals a game in his second season plus only kicked a total of 5 goals!

He is in his second year, to expect him to be averaging 25 disposals and at least 2 goals a game is ridiculous.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep , have to agree JR. I thought Concs was given the run with role with Murphy as a leaning experince. As far as the frees given away by concs. After the replays I just shook my head. The umps must have decided pre game that they would target what was going on around bounces and were very hard on anything that even remotely looked like it might be a hold off the ball. But for me on the replay concs did absolutely nothing wrong . Murphy did a great job of selling it though. given the size/weight difference between them. For the record I think Reece will be very very good another couple of preseasons and I think if he keeps going as he is I think we'll be very hard pressed to find any real weaknesses in his game.

what was worse those same actions on cotch werent picked up. double standards i reckon.taggers must be laughing all the way to the bank.

Conca will be universally known as a reliable, tough and versatile midfielder in a year or two.
He is just a pup but can play on the inside with the big boys already

Couple of more all-rounder, midfield side-kicks in the draft this year and we will be in the hunt.

Lids played 21 games, averaged 18 disposals a game in his second season plus only kicked a total of 5 goals!

He is in his second year, to expect him to be averaging 25 disposals and at least 2 goals a game is ridiculous.
You may have missed the intended tone of my response JJ ie :rolleyes:

Stumbled across this write up on Reece Conca , when looking over past drafts of late .

http://www.contestedfooty.com/2010/11/reece-conca-–-2010-afl-draft-prospect/#more-4467

Position: Defender

History: Reece Conca is a versatile player who has good kicking skills. He is of medium height (185cm) and medium weight (79kg), maybe a little bit light but not too bad for a draftee.

Reece Conca reads the play pretty well which makes the best use of his running and carrying abilities. It enables his to find the best way to get past players and get a disposal off in time.

He can play all over the ground and as such collects pretty good statistics for disposals. Reece Conca had an average of 18 at 79% efficiency at the AFL Under-18 Championships.

Conca is a little soft so cannot play an inside midfield role at the moment but that might change with a bit of bulking up after a couple of pre-seasons.

Reece Conca was WA’s vice-captain in the U18 Championships where he was very good in their game against South Australia.

Jack darling at pick 19 or whatever it was hurts the most
He's hurting a lot of clubs, not just the Tigs. Would you believe pick 26? It was a priority pick. We only had one pick before him though.

Not to sure what you're trying to gain by posting this, most people have already read his draft write up, unless of course you are trying to point out the bit where the writer said he was soft?

In which case I am yet to see this perceived softness in his AFL career so far.
The point of posting it was for those that haven't read similar write ups , to understand where the kid was considered when drafted and that was primarily as a outside player who lacked the toughness to play on ball. That doesn't mean in time he won't be able to , but it's a little premature to be declaring him a genuine inside mid a 200 game player, or on the other hand to be declaring him a wasted pick . He is 2 years in , is holding his head just above water who needs to continue to improve rather than just stagnate and will most likely be more strongly judged this time next year .

The point of posting it was to allow those that haven't read similar write ups , to understand where the kid was considered when drafted and that was primarily as a outside player who lacked the toughness to on ball. That doesn't mean in time he won't be able to , but it's a little premature to be declaring him a genuine inside mid a 200 game player, or on the other hand to be declaring him a wasted pick . He is 2 years in , is holding his head just above water and needs to continue to improve rather than just stagnate .

But he is playing as an inside mid this year? Last year he played a large portion on a wing, this year the majority in the middle.

Which just goes to show that you can't believe everything you read from these so called 'experts'.

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast Conca Coming Of Age

Remove this Banner Ad

Back