List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

What should we do with our 1st round draft pick?

• Finn O’Sullivan

Votes: 53 26.5%
  • Sid Draper

Votes: 29 14.5%
  • Josh Smillie

Votes: 17 8.5%
  • Jagga Smith

Votes: 15 7.5%
  • Split for best mid and Tobie Travaglia

Votes: 49 24.5%
  • Split for best mid and Liam Baker

Votes: 16 8.0%
  • Split for best mid and best KPD

Votes: 2 1.0%
  • Split for best two mids

Votes: 6 3.0%
  • Other

Votes: 9 4.5%
  • Sam Lalor

Votes: 4 2.0%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

Last edited:
We have Reid, Yeo, Kelly, Ginbey, Hewett and our first round pick who all will have to play through the midfield at stages. Add Davies to the mix and we are pretty stocked, Garcia for a bit of speed on top.

Still have Hall, potentially Culley, any mids we draft this year, etc

Too many means some won't get game time
still not enough imo, especially with Yeo and now Hewetts fitness. Is Ginbey and mid or defender? Kelly is slowing up fast.

Too many unknowns. The price for Dev would be minimal so that’s a lock for mine. Garcia can play multiple possies as well.

Just curious about a hypothetical if someone knows. If we delisted or moved on say 10 or more players, how do we fill the list? Can we keep selecting players at the end of the draft when other teams have all passed. And can we only fill the list from players who nominate for the draft?

Just curious about a hypothetical if someone knows. If we delisted or moved on say 10 or more players, how do we fill the list? Can we keep selecting players at the end of the draft when other teams have all passed. And can we only fill the list from players who nominate for the draft?
Yes we can and there’s such a depth to this draft that there’s going to be options to replace even 10 players. Just depends how balls out we’re going to be and if there’s trades or FAs in play.

There are multiple avenues to add players, draft, rookie draft, delisted FAs, SSP etc.

Yes we can and there’s such a depth to this draft that there’s going to be options to replace even 10 players. Just depends how balls out we’re going to be and if there’s trades or FAs in play.

There are multiple avenues to add players, draft, rookie draft, delisted FAs, SSP etc.
If we go 10 you’d think a couple of spots would be left for SPP. Great way for competition in camp

Darling and Sheed could we get anything on the trade table for them ?
They wont be on the list next year
Josh Rotham wont be there a lot of people at the club are not happy with him

Rotham apparently has interest as a FA. Unlikely to trigger rd 3 pick I would’ve thought but not sure what the benchmark is for that.

Sheed no.

Darling, maybe but minimal

I see Waterman as second coming of JJK in terms of running patterns.

Oscar Allen is more like Jack darling but with reach. Not in anyway downplaying or suggesting Oscar is worse then Waterman
I am Waterman best is better than Allen best and Waterman brings other into the game by creating space

Sheed I can see some sort of medical retirement but Darling? Don’t think the club would cut that deep with the amount of out of contract deadwood already needing to be moved on.

Rotham surely goes, what’s his issue with the club apart from performance? Always seems to be front and centre and well liked within the group on the socials.

Probably the wrong thread for this, but.......

Hewett out for season. Faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrc

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad: Rage.
His career is in jeopardy now.
If he comes good its just a bonus for us
I think that's the way we need to look at it
He has missed so much development now and to build his endurance to AFL level
is going to take so much longer

With Simmo gone I think its fair to say there is a higher chance some of the borderline guys are gone at the end of the year, even the ones still contracted. A new coach wont want to have to deal with the crap players who cant contribute.

Gaff
Sheed
Darling
LEdwards
Witherden
Rotham
JJ
Jamieson
Burgiel
Trew(R)
Baker(R)
Rawlinson(R)
Culley(R)

Id like to think that at least 9-10 of these 13 players are gone.
Add 1 guy who asks for a trade out and thats another list spot.

Leaves probably 8 list spots to fill, along with a few rookie spots.

If this is the case, do we look to try to split our pick? or do we shop for value fringe players from good clubs? Maybe some cheap free agents who are realistically depth anyway, even if its just to help the wafl squad?
We have 2 decent picks in the draft right now, and most here dont seem to like the idea of splitting our first pick.

I am slightly hesitant to trade completely out of next years draft, but if we need some decent picks to fill the list out a bit, and our list cloggers are mostly gone, can we afford to trade our F1/2 for multiple picks in the top 30 or so this year?
Essentially delisting a few players a year early and using the picks that would have replaced them this year

I dont know what sort of quality we can expect to find at the bottom of the list of DFAs, we wont get the good ones flying over to WA, only the ones the eastern clubs dont want

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The problem you could run into would be you'd have very few players to delist the next year ( can't remember the minimum contracts for late draft picks)

On SM-S921B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Why aren't ppl happy with rotham? And why would anyone want sheed,absolute crab

The problem you could run into would be you'd have very few players to delist the next year ( can't remember the minimum contracts for late draft picks)

Cripps and Gov could retire(Darling too if he stays), and guys like Petch and Jamieson are likely to avoid a list cull for this year imo.
Thats 4 spots, Gov and Cripps is an easy 2 out of 3 anyway

They wont be on the list next year Josh Rotham wont be there a lot of people at the club are not happy with him

This stuff was a big part of my frustration with where we are at.

When we are re-building why play players of this ilk over younger players. Now I know some younger players may not make the grade - but, there’s only one way to find out.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

3 picks is the minimum. Next year Cripps, Sheed, Jamieson and Darling are gone and that’s just a start. Gov’s body might not go on, Petch would want to show more and we can turn over rookies. Delistings won’t be an issue.

Think it's 3 changes. But that's 13 and you can probably add Cripps to it next year. If someone like TB goes then that's 15 changes across two years. Even if we hit 10 this year, it's still 5 next.

So what are we thinking?

Retire : Gaff
Delist : Sheed, Darling, Cripps, Witherden, Luke Edwards, Jones, Brockman, Trew
Trade/Delist : Rotham

Trade Pick 2/3 and 23 for Suns 8, 10, 26, Alex Davies and Malcolm Rosas
Pay the Perryman 800k for 3-5 years as a UFA
Upgrade Culley and Maric from Rookie list
Pickup 1 late pick or 2 DFA's

There's always options to replace players. Just not always good ones.
(I'm a big fan of churning through as many picks as possible to jag a good player)

This year while I think there's good depth up until maybe 40, it still tapers after that like normal. WA very weak as expected.

There's always options to replace players. Just not always good ones.
(I'm a big fan of churning through as many picks as possible to jag a good player)

This year while I think there's good depth up until maybe 40, it still tapers after that like normal. WA very weak as expected.
Depth this year is better than that a lot of good talls later in the draft
For me up to 55 there will be players

Sheed I can see some sort of medical retirement but Darling? Don’t think the club would cut that deep with the amount of out of contract deadwood already needing to be moved on.

Rotham surely goes, what’s his issue with the club apart from performance? Always seems to be front and centre and well liked within the group on the socials.
You just said it
He is the social queen and been questioned on his professionalism

So what are we thinking?

Retire : Gaff
Delist : Sheed, Darling, Cripps, Witherden, Luke Edwards, Jones, Brockman, Trew
Trade/Delist : Rotham

Trade Pick 2/3 and 23 for Suns 8, 10, 26, Alex Davies and Malcolm Rosas
Pay the Perryman 800k for 3-5 years as a UFA
Upgrade Culley and Maric from Rookie list
Pickup 1 late pick or 2 DFA's
Sheed, brockman and Cripps won't be delisted

Back