List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

What should we do with our 1st round draft pick?

• Finn O’Sullivan

Votes: 57 19.0%
  • Sid Draper

Votes: 86 28.7%
  • Josh Smillie

Votes: 22 7.3%
  • Jagga Smith

Votes: 34 11.3%
  • Split for best mid and Tobie Travaglia

Votes: 46 15.3%
  • Split for best mid and Liam Baker

Votes: 20 6.7%
  • Split for best mid and best KPD

Votes: 4 1.3%
  • Split for best two mids

Votes: 9 3.0%
  • Other

Votes: 13 4.3%
  • Sam Lalor

Votes: 9 3.0%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

Last edited by a moderator:
With the re-emergence of Tim English as a target, I have slapped together some data for people to reference off.

I cut off any player that doesn't average at least 30 ruck contests per game, which unfortuantely means Jack Williams was left out, which I didn't click on to until too late.

Ruck:
  • With Flynn & Williams selected, we average 43.1 hitouts & 9.9 to advantage at 23%.
  • English alone is averaging 28.8 hitouts & 8.7 to advantage at 30%.
  • For the record, J.Williams averages 16.5 contests, 3.5 hitouts & 0.5 to advantage at 14%.

View attachment 2055968

Around the Ground:
  • No surprises, it is a bit of a landslide, however English is often refered to as an extra midfielder once the ruck contest is complete.
  • The only stat English doesn’t lead is clearances, which is probably because Bailey averages more than double the Ruck Hard Ball Gets (grabbing it out of the ruck).

View attachment 2055972

I hope Flynn can get himself on the field for the final five games and we can have a proper look at him. Along with pairing him with both B.Williams and J.Williams (individually, not all together at once). I think he is a very capable ruckman, unfortunaltey, we've only seen it in arguably one of his four games.

English comes at a salary cap price and is not a great age, but by golly do we need to get things heading in the right direction. He could be the perfect pairing to unlock J.Willaims playing every week, as could Flynn, but we dont have enough evidence of Matt's durability. English is incredibly durable, albeit some concussion concerns. Tim can also play alot of minutes (avg 85% TOG) ensuring our FWD/Ruck could spend significantly more time forward and less time in the ruck.

Next five weeks could be very telling.
If flynn stays fit and can ruck majority of the game then there’s no need for Bailey. He has no impact forward. Jack Williams is growing nicely as a player but more importantly as a key forward. Pump as many games as we can to him and let him pinch hit in the ruck

If flynn stays fit and can ruck majority of the game then there’s no need for Bailey. He has no impact forward. Jack Williams is growing nicely as a player but more importantly as a key forward. Pump as many games as we can to him and let him pinch hit in the ruck
Well.

He's shown SFA.

Zero hope. None Nada zero

Couldn't we just keep Bailey Williams if we wanted an non competitive ruck? English lost 2 contests to Gary Rohan of all people on the weekend. He's good around the ground but not the signing that excites me much anymore especially for 6 years.

I see a lot of people saying if Flynn can stay fit he will be more than serviceable.

That’s a big IF.

He’s very clumbersome and injury prone and slower than our rebuild.

I’ve flipped back and forth over whether we needed English but the truth is no one wants to come play for us. NO ONE.

We have this huge hole in our salary cap and 6 years seems like a lot but we could probably wipe out two of those years immediately with a front ended contract.

Will he be our saviour? Hell no. But we’ll kick more goals with him, we’ll certainly take some bloody marks when we kick long down the wing with him and he won’t be a liability when the opposition have an agile ruckman getting around the ground.

If he’s a free hit and all we need to worry about is salary cap which let’s face it, we can’t give away at the moment then I’m now back on board.

Yep this would be out typical luck . Sign the captain for 3 years then he struggles with concussion issues .

I hope he recovers well but that first concussion was nasty and he came back straight away .

Give him the rest of the season off IMO to make sure he is alright

I see a lot of people saying if Flynn can stay fit he will be more than serviceable.

That’s a big IF.

He’s very clumbersome and injury prone and slower than our rebuild.

I’ve flipped back and forth over whether we needed English but the truth is no one wants to come play for us. NO ONE.

We have this huge hole in our salary cap and 6 years seems like a lot but we could probably wipe out two of those years immediately with a front ended contract.

Will he be our saviour? Hell no. But we’ll kick more goals with him, we’ll certainly take some bloody marks when we kick long down the wing with him and he won’t be a liability when the opposition have an agile ruckman getting around the ground.

If he’s a free hit and all we need to worry about is salary cap which let’s face it, we can’t give away at the moment then I’m now back on board.
Agreed, we can’t keep playing players that have zero impact on a game across four quarters of footy. Even if English has zero impact on ruck taps he still offers upside on what we have now.

Crickey 6 years for a bloke that will be 33 by the end of that contract and someone that’s not essential for a rebuild is insane. Like I said previously, the bloke is a gun but at the end of the day a cherry on top type.

Disagree, think having a quality ruck is essential to our rebuild. We also have a lot of money we can offload.

Good Grief Barrass is not going to cost a second Round pick in a trade
Exactly - as the whole argument for trading Barrass is the draft pick value he will bring back given his current contract + emergence of Harry Edwards has some more open to it. I was against trading TB, but have really liked what I’ve seen from Harry at both levels this year

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Exactly - as the whole argument for trading Barrass is the draft pick value he will bring back given his current contract + emergence of Harry Edwards has some more open to it. I was against trading TB, but have really liked what I’ve seen from Harry at both levels this year
We have offered Barrass a decent contract so we have to satisfy you guys In a trade. That’s if Barrass wants to leave which I highly doubt he will

Young ruck perhaps but English is 27. His decline will start way sooner than this side starts to rise up the ladder

And that's fine, a good team during that process has the second ruck ready to go. The importance of a good ruck now to assist our mids actually winning contests.

We have offered Barrass a decent contract so we have to satisfy you guys In a trade. That’s if Barrass wants to leave which I highly doubt he will
Barrass signed a long term deal before the salary increases.

Our players contracts are also no linked to the salary increases like other teams .

Barrass sees spuds like Mackay getting massive coin and feels under valued .

This is just barrass and his manager getting what he thinks he deserves.

They want to renegotiate his contract for more money and maybe another year and using other clubs interest to justify it .
By the sounds of it Sydney withdrew last year due to his back injury and there has been rumours he wouldn't pass a medical at another club .

As you said I highly doubt he leaves .

Are we really saying we don’t want English like we can be fussy with how we improve our team and become competitive??

What’s the downside?

- he is a free agent so he won’t cost anything in terms of a trade.

- his big salary shouldn’t impact given the cap space we supposedly have. Maybe it will even be front loaded.

- yes he isn’t a great tap ruckman or a competitive beast but we would get an elite and mobile player around the ground that can link up and accumulate possessions. Our actual midfielders can barely do that at the moment.

- he won’t be stunting the development of some young elite ruckman we have coming through the ranks. Flynn and Williams are stop gap measures and Barnett is miles off. Maybe we can also draft a promising ruckman in the next 2-3 years and by the time English is done they’ll be ready.

I get it though, he’s not the type of ruckman that wins finals and has a whipping boy look about him. I would love Max Gawn or Nank like anyone but given our current situation I just want us to improve, get competitive and see a bit of hope.

Yep this would be out typical luck . Sign the captain for 3 years then he struggles with concussion issues .

I hope he recovers well but that first concussion was nasty and he came back straight away .

Give him the rest of the season off IMO to make sure he is alright
He is the epitome of mediocrity. Nothing against Dugg but he is a WAFL standard footballer at best. Hence our whole predicament.

I don't rate English at all as a ruck.

Having said that, we are so dire, if we can get him as a free agent for reasonable coin (expensive but no obscene) and not too long (6 years max), then do it. We just need talent. Wlliams is poor, Flynn isn't much chop and made of glass.

Williams the younger and English will be fine as a combo

He is the epitome of mediocrity. Nothing against Dugg but he is a WAFL standard footballer at best. Hence our whole predicament.
This is silly and not grounded in any sense of reality. Do people really believe this stuff? He'd walk into any teams best 22.

Been against English all along but if its on a cheaper deal and we can use it to generate some better pick with a Barrass deal then I'm less against it.

Just don't expect any uptick in hitouts/clearances as a result. He gets bullied at actual ruckwork

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back