List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

What should we do with our 1st round draft pick?

• Finn O’Sullivan

Votes: 57 19.0%
  • Sid Draper

Votes: 86 28.7%
  • Josh Smillie

Votes: 22 7.3%
  • Jagga Smith

Votes: 34 11.3%
  • Split for best mid and Tobie Travaglia

Votes: 46 15.3%
  • Split for best mid and Liam Baker

Votes: 20 6.7%
  • Split for best mid and best KPD

Votes: 4 1.3%
  • Split for best two mids

Votes: 9 3.0%
  • Other

Votes: 13 4.3%
  • Sam Lalor

Votes: 9 3.0%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

Last edited by a moderator:
Pyke said we would be aggressive this off season. With our current draft hand that's not really possible. Losing TB, Waterman or Allen in a trade would hurt us too much structurally imo but duggan seems the best guy we can capitalise on. Twomey thought he'd bring a first round last year dont think he's done to much to hinder that this year.

Duggan is about to sign a 4 year extension.

Cashing in on one of Waterman or Allen makes sense, I don’t trust Allen’s body but he is better than Waterman and I don’t trust Waterman to sustain this form long term.

I don’t see why people hate Jamaine jones he is a good bloke and an alright footballer there are worse players on our team and he is not one we should cut
You vastly over-rate him.
He is an alright footballer, but hes not an alright AFL level footballer. Hes shown over many years that hes just not it, if he was our 3rd in line medium def/fwd in the WAFL, thatd be about right.

He cant do half back, he cant do half forward, he cant do midfield, his only good attribute is his speed

We have no AFL quality KPDs under Gov and Barrass. Full to the hilt of KPF options but would be interested to know who you see playing KPD with Barrass in 2 years and then again once he retires.

Your second point I 100% agree with. Lack of outside run both out of defence and the midfield is absolutely killing us.

I’d be targeting both of the above this draft.
You dont think HEdwards can be an AFL level defender? He probably needs an elite CHB to pair with him, but seems like he is up to it form the little we have seen imo

Cashing in on one of Waterman or Allen makes sense, I don’t trust Allen’s body but he is better than Waterman and I don’t trust Waterman to sustain this form long term.
Yeah that's why I bought it up I'd float him before anyone else

So Jamaine jones is considered (correctly imo) a delist because he absolutely butchers the ball but we’re about to give Duggan a four year contract…

**** me.

So Jamaine jones is considered (correctly imo) a delist because he absolutely butchers the ball but we’re about to give Duggan a four year contract…

**** me.
Duggan is not even remotely as bad as JJ is. Duggan butchers is because hes usually under pressure and going long, JJ butchers is because he cant kick. Duggan outside him kicking is not even comparable to JJ either, at least Duggan tries

Some word Zurhaar might want to head home to west, not sure if he fits anywhere for us. Still not a bad player
If this talk of Ryan leaving comes true, there might be a spot in the forward line for him. Alternatively hes probably a decent replacement for Darling tbh, can play a somewhat similar role, bit less of a KPF and more of a medium forward though which would be ideal.

Hes not a hugely important need, but hes still an upgrade and we would fit him somewhere

I think Waterman can sustain it, but it doesnt matter. Hes got value and if a club wants to give us a top 8 pick for him then its worth it.

Not like we dont have other KPFs who are currently or very soon will be looking for games

Gov is a lock for the Hall of Fame and a much loved eagle so it hurts to even suggest it, but does Simmo now being gone give that small push for Gov to start thinking about playing somewhere else next year? Not fancy playing under a new coach, the nest feels different without simmo, etc,.

Gov in All-Aus form and not showing any signs of slowing down bar the ridiculous collision injuries. He would have to guarantee a 1st round pick for the right premiership contender right? If I was Coll/Carl/Syd/Ess I think two years of Gov would be worth a pick in the teens??

The reason I bring it up is probably because I'd rather lose Gov than TB purely from a longevity stand point.

Gov is a lock for the Hall of Fame and a much loved eagle so it hurts to even suggest it, but does Simmo now being gone give that small push for Gov to start thinking about playing somewhere else next year? Not fancy playing under a new coach, the nest feels different without simmo, etc,.

Gov in All-Aus form and not showing any signs of slowing down bar the ridiculous collision injuries. He would have to guarantee a 1st round pick for the right premiership contender right? If I was Coll/Carl/Syd/Ess I think two years of Gov would be worth a pick in the teens??

The reason I bring it up is probably because I'd rather lose Gov than TB purely from a longevity stand point.
How bout we keep em both?

I'd love Chad (Not Baker due age, major asset (pace) degradation guarantee etc.) but there is a golden lining to Freo getting him.
The more $million, long term guys they have on the list the better. Salary cap squeeze like a teenagers zits.
I'd rather just get Warner. The benefit of them having a salary squeeze would be allowing us to get elite WA talent without much competition, but you aren't going to get much better WA talent coming home than a guy like Warner.

Same logic would be trading Harley for pick 1 because we might be able to get a guy as good as Harley with the pick.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You dont think HEdwards can be an AFL level defender? He probably needs an elite CHB to pair with him, but seems like he is up to it form the little we have seen imo
He’s a ripper bloke, I want him to make it and I think he’s a great break glass list option for a KPD but his lack of speed/closing is always going to be his Achilles heel at AFL level and unfortunately along with height, you can’t teach speed.

The only way I see him making it as a #2 KPD long term is if our next coach uses a more zone based defensive plan that limits space and mitigates his lack of speed staying with or getting to an opponent. Part of the gig will be identifying our squad’s strengths and weaknesses and developing a game plan accordingly. If Barrass was traded I’d be ok with him slotting into FB whilst we develop and/or trade, provided we tailor the defensive game plan accordingly.

Maybe the definition of a good rebuild.
However I think they were probably the best 2 players at their picks anyway.

They already had Hodge and Mitchell, Sewell, Bateman & Crawford running around compared to the KPF in (undersized) Williams & moving on Nathan Thompson.

Maybe Carlton 2015 nailing their spine with Weitering, McKay & Curnow. Then only going for DeKoning in 2017 since then with an early pick.
(Have burned about 10x 1st and 2nd round picks on mids in that time though)

The problem with reaching for talls is that they can only really occupy a certain amount of spots on field.
A failed onballer can play a wing, pocket or flank.
A KPF not up to the grade can go to full back or be de-listed.
I definitely don’t think we should be reaching. I rate O’Farrell at pick 15-17 and Mraz 27-29 and if we end up with a pick in that range they are two players I’d be very interested in selecting. Clancy Dennis we should be able to get with our 4R. Not as big on the Whitlock twins as some others.

I do not want any player that is marked as a guaranteed delist to be anywhere near the side again. If the WAFL side didnt exist if tell them to pack their stuff and leave now tbh. Those players will know who they are, no point having them around just being not interested. Get them to train away from the main team

• Trew gets 2 games as a full time mid, if hes no good then delist
  • Culley get 2 games purely as a mid. If hes no good then hes a delist/trade. Do not even entertain him as a forward, we dont want a 194cm slow forward. We have better players.
  • Hall comes in as soon as Trew is done his 2 games, either as his replacement or to play alongside him if Trew is outstanding. Not a huge deal if he plays much if at all.
  • Never have 3 of Culley, Trew and Hall in the side at one time, only 2 at a time, unless they are all vastly better than expected and are actually pushing Reid/Yeo/Kelly out of the midfield.
  • Chesser gets taken off a wing, and moved somewhere else. I dont care where just get the ball into his hands a bit. Could also move him to the WAFL for a couple of games as an inside mid with Hall, Culley and Trew having stints in the main side.
  • Johnston can get a game as a HFF/wing, but no stress if he plays WAFL for the rest of the year
  • Darling to play no more games for the year unless we get injuries, tell him he can stay to finish out his contract and maybe get to 300 games next year, but he will be purely depth in 2025.
  • Burgiel gets as many games for the rest of the year as it takes to see if hes any good, 4+ games ideally. If hes showing nothing then send him back to WAFL, and delist/trade. Throw him on a wing or half back
  • Dewar as many games as we can fit him in for, sub if necessary, but at least a couple of full games would be nice.
  • Bazzo in as soon as ready to be our 3rd tall.
  • Maric to play wing for the rest of the year, maybe even half back. Id focus on one position though. If he doesnt have the tank then give him a week off in there or sub him out. Potentially half back is a project for next year imo.
  • BJW and Flynn, only 1 at a time in the side, unless one of JWilliams, Allen or Waterman are injured.
  • J.Williams to play every game for the rest of the year.
  • Witherden idk where he sits, hes been good enough to get another year, and we lack defensive depth, but hes also out of contract. He is ok depth next year. Keep him in the side if theres a spot for him.
  • HEdwards to play every game for the year, alongside Barrass and Gov/Bazzo. If there is any truth at all to the Barrass trade rumours we will need him.
  • Rotham doesnt play again unless both 2 of Barrass, Gov and HEdwards are injured at the same time. Hough to play 3rd tall when 3 other talls arent available.
  • JJ just no. Never again.
  • LEdwards stays in the WAFL, delist
  • J.Baker is a delist.
  • Gaff gets a farewell game in whichever home game he chooses.
  • Sheed hopefully gets the same as Gaff

I think thats all the fringe/questionable guys
Thats what id like to happen :)

I was almost certain we would see very little experimentation in terms of trying out different players with Simmo at the helm for the rest of the year, but hopefully Schofield has a directive to give most players a crack to help list management decisions

He’s a ripper bloke, I want him to make it and I think he’s a great break glass list option for a KPD but his lack of speed/closing is always going to be his Achilles heel at AFL level and unfortunately along with height, you can’t teach speed.

The only way I see him making it as a #2 KPD long term is if our next coach uses a more zone based defensive plan that limits space and mitigates his lack of speed staying with or getting to an opponent. Part of the gig will be identifying our squad’s strengths and weaknesses and developing a game plan accordingly. If Barrass was traded I’d be ok with him slotting into FB whilst we develop and/or trade, provided we tailor the defensive game plan accordingly.
I agree, at this stage I think thats where he sits. Maybe with a guy like Gov reading the play still around his weaknesses can be covered. Hes not elite but hes ok.
Hopefully he gets a run as the main full back for the rest of the year and he surprises us all

I’m not suggesting spectacular but if you want a competitive side in a list rebuild you need to get your talls early to give them the extra couple of years to develop. Clarko got it spot on taking Rough and Buddy.

No issues with what you are saying but to be fair, he also got hodge and Mitchell and lewis and Birchall and Rioli…

He also didn’t have decent full backs throughout and kept trading them in. We already have our Roughead and buddy - well they only come around every 30 years.

I do not want any player that is marked as a guaranteed delist to be anywhere near the side again. If the WAFL side didnt exist if tell them to pack their stuff and leave now tbh. Those players will know who they are, no point having them around just being not interested. Get them to train away from the main team

• Trew gets 2 games as a full time mid, if hes no good then delist
  • Culley get 2 games purely as a mid. If hes no good then hes a delist/trade. Do not even entertain him as a forward, we dont want a 194cm slow forward. We have better players.
  • Hall comes in as soon as Trew is done his 2 games, either as his replacement or to play alongside him if Trew is outstanding. Not a huge deal if he plays much if at all.
  • Never have 3 of Culley, Trew and Hall in the side at one time, only 2 at a time, unless they are all vastly better than expected and are actually pushing Reid/Yeo/Kelly out of the midfield.
  • Chesser gets taken off a wing, and moved somewhere else. I dont care where just get the ball into his hands a bit. Could also move him to the WAFL for a couple of games as an inside mid with Hall, Culley and Trew having stints in the main side.
  • Johnston can get a game as a HFF/wing, but no stress if he plays WAFL for the rest of the year
  • Darling to play no more games for the year unless we get injuries, tell him he can stay to finish out his contract and maybe get to 300 games next year, but he will be purely depth in 2025.
  • Burgiel gets as many games for the rest of the year as it takes to see if hes any good, 4+ games ideally. If hes showing nothing then send him back to WAFL, and delist/trade. Throw him on a wing or half back
  • Dewar as many games as we can fit him in for, sub if necessary, but at least a couple of full games would be nice.
  • Bazzo in as soon as ready to be our 3rd tall.
  • Maric to play wing for the rest of the year, maybe even half back. Id focus on one position though. If he doesnt have the tank then give him a week off in there or sub him out. Potentially half back is a project for next year imo.
  • BJW and Flynn, only 1 at a time in the side, unless one of JWilliams, Allen or Waterman are injured.
  • J.Williams to play every game for the rest of the year.
  • Witherden idk where he sits, hes been good enough to get another year, and we lack defensive depth, but hes also out of contract. He is ok depth next year. Keep him in the side if theres a spot for him.
  • HEdwards to play every game for the year, alongside Barrass and Gov/Bazzo. If there is any truth at all to the Barrass trade rumours we will need him.
  • Rotham doesnt play again unless both 2 of Barrass, Gov and HEdwards are injured at the same time. Hough to play 3rd tall when 3 other talls arent available.
  • JJ just no. Never again.
  • LEdwards stays in the WAFL, delist
  • J.Baker is a delist.
  • Gaff gets a farewell game in whichever home game he chooses.
  • Sheed hopefully gets the same as Gaff

I think thats all the fringe/questionable guys
Thats what id like to happen :)

I was almost certain we would see very little experimentation in terms of trying out different players with Simmo at the helm for the rest of the year, but hopefully Schofield has a directive to give most players a crack to help list management decisions
✅✅✅✅✅✅✅✅✅✅✅✅✅

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back