List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

What should we do with our 1st round draft pick?

• Finn O’Sullivan

Votes: 57 19.0%
  • Sid Draper

Votes: 86 28.7%
  • Josh Smillie

Votes: 22 7.3%
  • Jagga Smith

Votes: 34 11.3%
  • Split for best mid and Tobie Travaglia

Votes: 46 15.3%
  • Split for best mid and Liam Baker

Votes: 20 6.7%
  • Split for best mid and best KPD

Votes: 4 1.3%
  • Split for best two mids

Votes: 9 3.0%
  • Other

Votes: 13 4.3%
  • Sam Lalor

Votes: 9 3.0%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

Last edited by a moderator:
A musing, perhaps not a clever one, but an opinion I’m starting to form having watched most of Sydney’s games this year- Chad Warner is a very good footballer, but he’s not worth 1.5m a year. At least not yet, anyway.

Getting strong Geelong Tim Kelly vibes from him. Hits the scoreboard with ease, can break tackles, strong offensively. But he’s got a very good midfield and defensive minded group around him that allow him a license to be that way. Same as Kelly did at Geelong which nearly took him to a Brownlow.

If we sold the farm for him expecting him to lead our midfield we end up with a player that is still a good midfielder but nowhere near as damaging when he’s the main man.

I won’t be upset if we chased him, Reid and Warner would be amazing. But I have concerns he goes to the next level without having the group around him which we probably don’t have for a year or 2 minimum.
I'm getting the same vibe too.

My evolving opinion is that if you're a terrible team, with a thin midfield, the only midfielders you should pay up for are the rolled gold, giant, contested beasts in the Cripps, Fyfe, Oliver mould.

Players that can win their own ball stoppage after stoppage and are big enough to constantly get mobbed.

Warner is faster than Kelly but a similar size, an aging Yeo and a teenage Reid the only bulls to support. As much as I'd love Warner, I don't think we'd get the best out of him and like Kelly, we'd end up wasting his best attributes.

A musing, perhaps not a clever one, but an opinion I’m starting to form having watched most of Sydney’s games this year- Chad Warner is a very good footballer, but he’s not worth 1.5m a year. At least not yet, anyway.

Getting strong Geelong Tim Kelly vibes from him. Hits the scoreboard with ease, can break tackles, strong offensively. But he’s got a very good midfield and defensive minded group around him that allow him a license to be that way. Same as Kelly did at Geelong which nearly took him to a Brownlow.

If we sold the farm for him expecting him to lead our midfield we end up with a player that is still a good midfielder but nowhere near as damaging when he’s the main man.

I won’t be upset if we chased him, Reid and Warner would be amazing. But I have concerns he goes to the next level without having the group around him which we probably don’t have for a year or 2 minimum.
If we got Warner at the end of this year, we'd have Warner, Yeo and Reid as our on ballers, with Kelly/Ginbey/Hewett as rotations. That's a reasonable support cast for him that only gets better as the young guys develop.

If Shuey and Yeo had stayed fit, they Kelly trade would have worked nicely.

If we got Warner at the end of this year, we'd have Warner, Yeo and Reid as our on ballers, with Kelly/Ginbey/Hewett as rotations. That's a reasonable support cast for him that only gets better as the young guys develop.

Remove Hewett from that though there is real doubt about him with his injury going forward

This is why im not that keen on Warner, we still dont have the core of the engine room sorted and ready to go. Warner would just get tagged every game for us and have very little impact because we cant help him like the Swans can, and I cant imagine he is the best at winning his own ball when the midfield is getting smashed.
If Warner was available in 2 years time I think id trade up for him
My evolving opinion is that if you're a terrible team, with a thin midfield, the only midfielders you should pay up for are the rolled gold, giant, contested beasts in the Cripps, Fyfe, Oliver mould.

Players that can win their own ball stoppage after stoppage and are big enough to constantly get mobbed.
:100:
Need a consistent midfield right now imo, not necessarily a flashy one. Jack Steele is another id add to your list, basically carries the Saints midfield, someone like him would be ideal right now

I think that primary onball trio are all relatively attacking, we need someone more defensive in there to balance it out imo.
Kelly and Hewett also fall into this category.

I dont think this player I want is on our list right now, maybe Duggan could do the job. Ginbey needs to improve his ball winning ability if he wants to do that role

You don't think the club would push him out ?
Like the hawks did with there older players ?
I honestly think the club would be considering it especially with a new coach
TB is 28 and playing excellent footy.
He's also a Perth boy.
One of the few A graders we have.

Let me put it this way.
When was the last time WC pushed a local, contracted A grade player out of the club?

Do you really think a new coach would want like to lose a KPD?
Who have we got if Gov gets injured?

Bazzo, Jamieson or Hedwards.

Gov is a lock for the Hall of Fame and a much loved eagle so it hurts to even suggest it, but does Simmo now being gone give that small push for Gov to start thinking about playing somewhere else next year? Not fancy playing under a new coach, the nest feels different without simmo, etc,.

Gov in All-Aus form and not showing any signs of slowing down bar the ridiculous collision injuries. He would have to guarantee a 1st round pick for the right premiership contender right? If I was Coll/Carl/Syd/Ess I think two years of Gov would be worth a pick in the teens??

The reason I bring it up is probably because I'd rather lose Gov than TB purely from a longevity stand point.
In terms of Hall of Fame, I've thought about this before. I'd like to think he'll go in, but do we really think he's a lock, given he's a West Aussie? 4x AA should probably mean you go straight in, hopefully he isn't out for long with the lungs & can make that 5

Remove Hewett from that though there is real doubt about him with his injury going forward
I think that's going a bit far. He had one foot injury, surgery should have fixed. Now it's the other foot, no reason why that can't be dealt with as well.
Aside from that he played all through his draft year basically, & if he didn't get shitmixed by degoey, most of his first year in AFL system - even with a bung foot

I'd rather just get Warner. The benefit of them having a salary squeeze would be allowing us to get elite WA talent without much competition, but you aren't going to get much better WA talent coming home than a guy like Warner.

Same logic would be trading Harley for pick 1 because we might be able to get a guy as good as Harley with the pick.
Like I said, like you, 'I'd love to get Warner'. If we can get him (without Kellying us for years) jump at it. But if we can't get him I hope Freo do and break the bank in the process.

Can anyone who knows what they're talking about shed some light on exactly what type of mid FOS is?
The pieces I've read don't really paint a clear picture. Seems he's a good mark (not near the top of the ist of traits a great mid requires), is quite evasive & fairly good skills.

What I want to know is:
Production - Is he high production a-la your McKerchers, Jagga Smiths, or more quality of possession type player like Wardlaw
Pace - Is he your break from a stoppage type player, or first possession & dish to receiver (or neither)
Run - does he provide overlap run / through the lines
Contested - is he strong in the contest, wins a lot of his own ball, or more a balanced inside/outside mid
Skills - Good kicking skills (sounds like he's fairly decent).

Who is he most comparable to? Some say Sam Walsh but I sense that's coz they're related. Sam Walsh is a very high production player & I get the sense FOS isn't quite that.

If we end up with pick 2, is there anyone with the draft capital & likely has the intent to trade up with a strong hand? I.e. that might net us with a pick 6 for example, plus a pick 14-ish.

Seems like someone like draper or m.reid or lalor would be there at 6, all who sound like very strong prospects, so being able to draft the best runner or HBF in mid teens along with this appeals a lot. We badly need more quality youth on our list.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The elephant in the room is that we can't afford him to be playing in the Magoo's. We need him in our team every week because we lack so much depth. This is why is shits me so many are ragging on him. We are making him play roles that aren't necessarily his strengths. He goes back to wafl as an inside mid and gets 35 then the week after the MC bring him back in and he spends 30% game time in the midfield.

Personally, I would love for the MC to put both Chesser and ginbey on the half back flanks where they can get there hands on the ball more regularly and build some confidence. Do what north and pies did with daicos and sheezel.....both spending there entire first year on half back. Cheeser is a better runner and ball user than witherden and ginbey is as good overhead and not afraid of the ball/contest like rotham.

New back 6
Hough gov ginbey
Chesser barrass hunt.

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app
So what exactly is Gibneys role then and where does he fit in? Which position.

TB seems like a pretty intelligent and honest guy.

What part of "I'm an Eagle and unless they pull the rug out from under me, it will stay that way" don't you agree with?

That did catch my attention when he said that. From that a few things his manager has said I get the impression it was WC shopping him around a bit last year that led to the speculation then and not the other way around

Also as someone else has already mentioned, sacking the coach could be his idea of a rug pull

Can anyone who knows what they're talking about shed some light on exactly what type of mid FOS is?
The pieces I've read don't really paint a clear picture. Seems he's a good mark (not near the top of the ist of traits a great mid requires), is quite evasive & fairly good skills.

What I want to know is:
Production - Is he high production a-la your McKerchers, Jagga Smiths, or more quality of possession type player like Wardlaw
Pace - Is he your break from a stoppage type player, or first possession & dish to receiver (or neither)
Contested - is he strong in the contest, wins a lot of his own ball, or more a balanced inside/outside mid

Who is he most comparable to? Some say Sam Walsh but I sense that's coz they're related. Sam Walsh is a very high production player & I get the sense FOS isn't quite that.
He’s a complete footballer, there’s not really an aspect of his game I’d say is a weakness, he does everything well. His injuries this year mean there’s no real exposed form to go on but if you want a taste watch the last quarter of the VicC vs Allies game from the weekend. It was his first game back in months and got caught more often than he normally would and obviously his production was lower. But look at his skills and decision making with the game on the line.

His kicking skills are excellent, both penetration and accuracy, he is exceptional overhead for his size (182cm), can win his own ball in the contest but also receive and would absolutely be someone you want kicking i50.

Enormous tank, can absolutely rack up the stats but they are quality stats. Doesn’t hurt as much as Harley, but doesn’t get the numbers of Jagga so somewhere in between. A Jagga Smith type 40 possession game from FOS would probably mean 1km of quality metres gained. Wouldn’t call his top speed elite but he’s definitely not slow.

Watch the championship decider this weekend, he’ll be better for the run last week and you can form your own opinion on him.

TB seems like a pretty intelligent and honest guy.

What part of "I'm an Eagle and unless they pull the rug out from under me, it will stay that way" don't you agree with?
What is a player going to say in season?

The part where the old list team might have agreed reshape his deal and the new team might not want to. The part where the Dogs or Swans might offer a deal too good for the rebuilding Eagles to say no to.

Beams cried at the Lions BnF saying they are his family and ain’t leaving. Not long after he was traded. All the decent journos are saying there is still smoke and they are normally pretty right. Been a lot of others.

Not saying it Will definitely happen but I think if it presents we do it.

Last edited:

And Nic Nat, wouldn’t played a huge part in that instead of roving to Bailey Williams for years

If we end up with pick 2, is there anyone with the draft capital & likely has the intent to trade up with a strong hand? I.e. that might net us with a pick 6 for example, plus a pick 14-ish.

Seems like someone like draper or m.reid or lalor would be there at 6, all who sound like very strong prospects, so being able to draft the best runner or HBF in mid teens along with this appeals a lot. We badly need more quality youth on our list.
GCS are the only team with high enough picks to get those players given where they are likely to be taken. Freo may end up near the mark but I doubt it. If we split our 1R I’d want MReid and Travaglia but I would much rather use our F1 and I think GCS would too.

That did catch my attention when he said that. From that a few things his manager has said I get the impression it was WC shopping him around a bit last year that led to the speculation then and not the other way around

Also as someone else has already mentioned, sacking the coach could be his idea of a rug pull
TB could also be referring to reports that Nissy etc al promised to add a year to his existing deal to ward off Sydney but haven’t yet. I think TB and the club would both be open to a trade for the right price. Of course he’s not going to sit there in a presser and say I want or money/years or I’m going to leave.

Yeah so you want us to bring in plebs and build up from there?

On SM-S921B using BigFooty.com mobile app

I love Waterman dont want to trade him believe he is better than Allen especially since Allen defensively is a liability because he lacks a tank
Having said if he gets us Rivers and Mcphee I would do it cant see Melbourne agreeing though
Just on Allen's tank..how did you rate it when he was fit and playing a lot of ruck? Do you think being out of the game might be a contributing factor and maybe its something he'll work on over the off-season?

On SM-S921B using BigFooty.com mobile app

What I want to know is:

Been injured a lot in 2024 ⚠️⚠️⚠️

So mostly based on last year: He basically does everything pretty well.

Not deficient at hard ball but is more outside leaning perhaps to end up as the designated kicker by design?
Usually with a positive outcome with ball in hand, Yet to nut out whether he's just a good decision maker that covers an average kick or has elite ability there.

Doesn't really kick many goals but is quite offensive on the spread and linking up, never seen him push back too hard (which is honestly rare to see anyway).

I'd say not as high production as McKercher or J.Smith but is within striking distance. McKercher was super damaging though while Smith is a bit of an accumulator.

The pack is quite strong and diverse this year so those that have him top #3 cant be laughed at- however he is yet to show IMO that he's a clear standout. Maybe a Walsh style comparison but at a lower level of operating?

There's still another champs game to watch, but was only showing glimpses vs the Allies after injury.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back