List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

What should we do with our 1st round draft pick?

• Finn O’Sullivan

Votes: 57 19.0%
  • Sid Draper

Votes: 86 28.7%
  • Josh Smillie

Votes: 22 7.3%
  • Jagga Smith

Votes: 34 11.3%
  • Split for best mid and Tobie Travaglia

Votes: 46 15.3%
  • Split for best mid and Liam Baker

Votes: 20 6.7%
  • Split for best mid and best KPD

Votes: 4 1.3%
  • Split for best two mids

Votes: 9 3.0%
  • Other

Votes: 13 4.3%
  • Sam Lalor

Votes: 9 3.0%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

Last edited by a moderator:
Duggan isn't worth as much in draft currency.

You don't push out your Victorian Captain in the same year you're trying to convince a pretty special Victorian kid to hang around long term.

You don't push out your Captain at all. I suspect the Captaincy decision to go with Duggan over TB was because TB had a foot out the door having a sniff around last year.

He is a FA so if he left and we engineered first round compo we would have got pick 4 for him.

I wouldnt have pushed him out but a slight nudge is all it would have taken for him to go home and we could had the histrionics of "dont leave, what a great man" etc whenever these sorts of situations arise.

If Hawks give us 8 + f1st for Barass id beat my man meat so hard the next door neighbour will get pregnant from it all

Haha, it’s probably unlikely - I think they’d stand firm at 8, but at the same time I did say we’d send our F2 back so if it ends up being their pick 12-15 next year for 19-22 I don’t think that’s too bad on their end.

He is a FA so if he left and we engineered first round compo we would have got pick 4 for him.

I wouldnt have pushed him out but a slight nudge is all it would have taken for him to go home and we could had the histrionics of "dont leave, what a great man" etc whenever these sorts of situations arise.

He would have been the oldest player to get Band 1 compo since free agency was introduced.

No chance we get what North got. Norths assistant package was a absolute failure. Why would AFL repeat the same failure?

It wouldnt shock me also if AFL go full on sledgehammer and give us pick 4 + 21 too

lol be serious.

Priority picks, let alone those sort of priority picks are only given out when a club becomes a serious long-term liability on the AFL's balance sheet.

Somewhat depressed viewership for Eagles games wouldn't move the needle.

The recruiting department at the eagles is really quite poor. They need to be investigated.

Genius Reaction GIF

Sydney Sweeney Hot Ones GIF by First We Feast

Any AFL assistance to us will be in line with what North received which means we'll need to trade those picks.
Trading Barrass gets us another top 15 pick minimum, personally I'd be asking for a pick and player like Buss or Garcia or straight up pick 8 from Hawks.
Nah the afl came out and said tying the norf priority picks to player trades devalued them .

We are the opposite to norf . We have senior players but need to draft players .

Norf sold all their senior players and had no leadership thus needing PP for senior players

So what I've learned today is that Rory Lobb is a better defender than Barrass.

In that case we should be the ones initiating his trade to the Bulldogs for Lobb and chucking in our first round as a sweetener.

I’m a Duggan fan and think he gets harshly judged by some on here, but he wouldn’t demand a salary that would trigger band 1 compo

He’d need to be on $800-850k plus for that to happen and I just don’t see anyone paying that for him

So it would be band 2 and an end of R1 pick. Not sure if that justifies lowballing your skipper

The difference with Barrass is he may generate a top 10 pick, possibly more, and he’s at least open to a trade having explored that previously

lol be serious.

Priority picks, let alone those sort of priority picks are only given out when a club becomes a serious long-term liability on the AFL's balance sheet.

Somewhat depressed viewership for Eagles games wouldn't move the needle.

Eagles playing badly affects afl balance sheet. Who do you think earns the money for afl?

So we barracking against the Hawks this week? (and Dogs)

Interesting article Tom Morris released on behalf of TB manager. Hickmont met with TB on the weekend to get him across to the Hawks apparently. Weird thing there’s been a bit of a push for Hickmont to get the Eagles job does he get the Eagles to sign off on extending TB? Or understands what the list needs and happy to trade him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We'd be crazy not to trade barrass if there's significant interest from multiple teams. A single top 10 pick would be enough I wouldve thought

On SM-S921B using BigFooty.com mobile app

From reports of the teams interested it looks like the ‘available’ pick would be 8-10, before Battle compo pushes it back. Pick 10-ish probably isn’t enough on its own. A fringe player may help (Garcia/Buss - DGB does not move the needle), or a mid/late 2nd (with an early 4th or F4 going back if we had to).

Pick 10 alone, I say keep him.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I think the article by Tom Morris posted in here clears this up. His contract wasn’t front loaded - we had no salary cap room at the time - in fact it was likely the opposite in that he’s been on unders

Seems like he’s only chasing to be paid his true value which is fair enough

Slightly disappointing that the club hasn’t really followed through with their end of a handshake deal and I’d be happy if they revisited his pay for the next 3 years but not if that comes with additional years on his existing contract
Maybe the extra years are the sticking point .

With his back injury and our players tendency to fall off a cliff after 30 it doesn't seem wise to extend .

DeGoey has been injured all year and has done nothing. Im talking about this year since Daicos went full time midfielder.
And without JDG firing they have slid from premiers to 13th so who cares? They are hardly a benchmark midfield.
Of course we would add an elite mid to the mix if it came to us.

Not when they cost 2 years worth of first rounders and we are in the middle of a rebuild though.

LOL if we were 3 years in the future and Yeo + Kelly were gone, and we had some other more balanced mids floating around then YES id be all for Warner.
You have no concept of nuance

Right now this year Warner is NOT the right guy to chase. We need way too many other pieces
Tbh I agree the ideal time to bring in Warner would be 3 years time. He extends for a couple of years with the Swans to chase flags and we get him as a FA, having loaded up with some high picks in the meantime and cut some older blokes. Or at least end of next year when he is OOC. But picks are always speculative while established players are more of a known quantity, even with different team dynamics etc.

The thing is that we can’t dictate when he wants to come home. If it’s in a couple of years time and aligns perfectly with our list build then great.

BUT if he wants to come back to WA now then it’s the only chance to grab him, so we would have to pay. I would hate to see us hesitate and him slip through to Freo who have already been proactive in the past by trading significantly for a guy like Jackson who would’ve been great for us. They’ve obviously had more cracks at the draft too but their list is miles ahead of ours now.

If Warner was 26 then no thanks, but he is still young. Not many guys of his caliber and age choose to come back to WA, and there’s no guarantee when the next one will come around.

Warner will most likely at least see out his contract. Hopefully Freo pay overs for Bolton and Baker leaving us in a better position than them next year.

Ignoring deductions, after tax, $400k pa take home, so $800k total in 2 years.

What's a cushy job at WCE get you Toddy_Nesbitt ?

Just for fun, $135k gets you $100k pa take home, so after 8 years, Tommy would be ahead :moustache:

Hey mate, I'm not certain what is considered a cushy job's salary at West Coast, but I can confirm that the match committee, recruitment department, marketing & promotions team and the board have spent the entire day together and we are now certain that Liam Duggan is in fact 27 years old, and Tim Gossage will be releasing a tweet stating as much later today.

Look we are actually helping Barrass

The worst option for him is if we keep him on low money and don't renogagate.

These two options are us being nice
1. We let him go to chase money
2. We rengogiate his money

We don't need to be nice here but we are.

DeGoey has been injured all year and has done nothing. Im talking about this year since Daicos went full time midfielder.
And without JDG firing they have slid from premiers to 13th so who cares? They are hardly a benchmark midfield.
Of course we would add an elite mid to the mix if it came to us.

Not when they cost 2 years worth of first rounders and we are in the middle of a rebuild though.

LOL if we were 3 years in the future and Yeo + Kelly were gone, and we had some other more balanced mids floating around then YES id be all for Warner.
You have no concept of nuance

Right now this year Warner is NOT the right guy to chase. We need way too many other pieces
Tbh I agree the ideal time to bring in Warner would be 3 years time. He extends for a couple of years with the Swans to chase flags and we get him as a FA, having loaded up with some high picks in the meantime and cut some older blokes. Or at least end of next year when he is OOC. But picks are always speculative while an established player is more of a known quantity even with different team dynamics etc.

The thing is that we can’t dictate when he wants to come home. If it’s in a couple of years and aligns perfectly with our list build then great.

BUT if he wants to leave now then it’s the only opportunity we have to grab him and we have to pay up. I would hate to see us hesitate and him slip through to Freo when they have already been proactive in trading significantly for a guy like Jackson who would’ve been great for us. They have obviously had more cracks at the draft too but their list is miles ahead of ours now.

If Warner was 26 then no thanks but he’s still young. Not many guys of his caliber and age choose to come back to WA and there is no guarantee when the next one will come around and how we will be positioned what picks, salary cap etc. We are in a rare position where our draft capital is highly valuable and should be attractive given TAS coming soon. Swans interest in TB also could’ve also been good leverage but now seems more like WB/Hawks.

Warner will most likely see out his contract anyway. Hopefully Freo pay overs for Bolton and Baker leaving us in a better position then them next year.

Gee there's a few on here with too much time on their hands. Complaining about Duggan getting 4 years and not 3 - sheesh

One of the best deals for TB that I can see would be English compo and Smith trade for TB and pick 23. Or an end of round one future pp if we received anything.

Smith to cats for pick 14

English to Eagles band one compo pick 11.

TB and pick 23 to dogs

Picks 11 & 14 to Eagles.

Those picks probably push out to 14 & 17 due to the “complex nature of the draft”

Bailey Williams & Eagles F3 to Pies for pick 28 and pies F3.

Start of round 2 and round 3 2025 picks on-traded to the Tigers for Baker. (same compo as Nth in 2022.)

Take picks 3, 14, 17, 28 and 59 to the draft. Bring in Baker and English. Add a couple of rookies and it would be an okay off season.

With this compensation pick from the AFL stuff.

Could….Gold Coast and st kilda, do a dodgy deal, and swap King brothers and each end up with a high draft pick ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back