List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

What should we do with our 1st round draft pick?

• Finn O’Sullivan

Votes: 57 19.0%
  • Sid Draper

Votes: 86 28.7%
  • Josh Smillie

Votes: 22 7.3%
  • Jagga Smith

Votes: 34 11.3%
  • Split for best mid and Tobie Travaglia

Votes: 46 15.3%
  • Split for best mid and Liam Baker

Votes: 20 6.7%
  • Split for best mid and best KPD

Votes: 4 1.3%
  • Split for best two mids

Votes: 9 3.0%
  • Other

Votes: 13 4.3%
  • Sam Lalor

Votes: 9 3.0%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

Last edited by a moderator:
Like I said, it doesn't move the needle.

The AFL doesn't benefit from the West Coast revenue machine, not directly. Our earnings could halve and they'd still pay us the minimum distribution.

They indirectly profit off WCE as part of the broadcast rights deal. Whatever nominal decline in viewership is made up in the aggregate e.g. Carlton being good. It's priced in.

North being dogshit directly costs them ~$8-10M p.a. in excess of normal distributions and it will only get worse with Tas. Not to mention GC and GWS.

PPs are a discretionary, break glass in case of budget emergency, AFL power, not an equalisation measure and there's little incentive to give them to WCE.

Agree with your broader point that there’s little incentive for the AFL to provide us with any assistance no matter how badly we perform

However, it’s a dangerous path for them to tread because whilst we are financially self sufficient and a few down years won’t materially impact AFL earnings we are a significant contributor to the WAFL along with Fremantle to a lesser extent

The decline in our profits over recent years has seen a substantial decline in our distribution to the WAFC that puts their programs in jeopardy, including development. Declining crowd numbers may also impact negotiations on the stadium deal that is due to be revised soon

The AFL have been fortunate that the WAFL is largely self sufficient but if we remain uncompetitive for an extended period that may well change and they’ll be forced to finally make a financial contribution to football in this state

As for North, they’ll be financially dependent on the AFL to the same extent whether they’re successful or not. Helping them with draft assistance is designed to stop them from losing all support bar a handful of diehards and folding altogether

By that he means that we would entertain a trade.
Not how I read it.

"If WC were to renegotiate his current deal (3yrs remaining), I believe he’d stay."

From where I'm standing he has no option of leaving if we don't trade him. Also says in the Tom Morris article.

"I am a West Coast Eagles player," Barrass said at a media conference on June 26.

"And unless the rug gets pulled out from under my feet, it will stay that way."

Journalists are paid to speculate.

Guess we will see come trade time but personally I think it's fluff.

Last edited:
Trust me mate that’s the ideal outcome. We don’t need him.
I was 60/40 on trading Barrass before this muppet showed up, now I'm all in. I hope we f**king fleece the Bulldogs for 3 or 4 picks, Busslinger and Garcia and that they also sign up Rory "I quite often look like a dunny brush" Lobb for another 5 years.

Eagles fans calling for two firsts for Barass yet he won’t reach 100 games?

Kind of irrelevant. you guys are bringing him for premiership, not for longevity.

And in contract. So premium automatically there. If you guys are going to create disruption and chaos on a contracted player, you will end up ponying up something that will hurt. Whether 2 firsts or something else, it will be significant.

You guys know that pulling a big player from a club under contract requires handing over significant capital. Get used to it because retracting in the end won’t be a good look for any future players you chase.

So keep dreaming that it will be a “value” trade.

Bulldogs fans don’t think barrass is worth more than mid first. Apparently something about how stringer got pushed out.

Difference is barrass is making the moves…we are happy with barrass staying for 3 years.
Stringer was married and a couple of kids when at the Kennel when his adventures with some school girls became public. His currency was heavily discounted because of that

He is still an enigmatic player

Well, we gave him an increase. Even if it was only 5cents.

We honoured our agreement.

Trade him or let him rot, ala Mitch Brown St Kilda rejection.

Barrass is doing a Scotty Pitten. F HIM. grow some balls and refuse the money and extra years.

If he was out for 3 years with successive knee recons, would he give some of his money back? Nope, so F HIM.
It's time for Barrass to go. He epitomises this wc culture of looking after your own interests to the detriment of the squad. Geelong players often proudly declare that they consider team first.

Barrass should be shopped around for the highest draft picks and he can take his young family interstate for his cash.

Barrass has no intention of leaving, reckon we fold and give him an extra two or so years at a higher pay.

Better off keeping him. You just know the dogs will offer us junk for him anyway.
He has no intention of leaving at all. Just like yeo. Start leaking to the media and the weak wc board fold so quickly.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Question for you lot. If GC were stupid enough to give up pick 7 and 10 for Rioli (plus something), do you think Eagles would trade 3 for those picks? 🤔
I would. I think there would be a decent split of posters who wouldn’t though. I’m hearing Tigers want Jagga and Trainor, is that what you’re thinking?

Question for you lot. If GC were stupid enough to give up pick 7 and 10 for Rioli (plus something), do you think Eagles would trade 3 for those picks? 🤔
I think a lot will come down to if they trade TB and what they get. FOS and Sid seem like great fits for what the Eagles need right now and for the future. If they can get one of them and Travaglia inside the top 10-12 they wouldn’t split but hard draft to get a read on.

Be interesting to see what the club does during the trade period with the 2025 draft in mind

Charlie Banfield looks good, Wes Walley looks good and Koby Evans is a ridiculous athlete who could be anything. Wonder if they trade Ryan and/or Barrass and get some future picks in....
Watched Kobie put on ridiculous burst speed a couple weeks ago in a game
His first 5 metre is so explosive generates separation so easily, if he can do that consistently will
have a very special player on our hands

The Richmond trade would be a good proposition assuming they could send what’s required back to GCS.

OUT: Pick 3
IN: Pick 7, 10

Barrass trade with HAW:
OUT: Barrass
IN: Pick 8, 26

Freo need a small goal kicking forward to replace Walters and we need a ruck:

OUT: Ryan (200k salary)
IN: Pick 24, Knobel

By acquiring Knobel, we could then get Bailey off the books for good in a deal with Melbourne for example:

OUT: BWilliams
IN: Pick 38

Cumming would have less suitors now that he’s out for the year so I’d offer him band 2 money to join us

Draft:
6-Lalor/MReid
8-Travaglia
10-Lindsay
23-O’Farrell
24-Mraz
26-Oliver
38-Davis
58-Champion match
Rookie-Dennis
FA-Cumming
Trade-Knobel

In-11

Out-13 (incl. Ryan, BWilliams, and Barrass)
Delist: Jones, Gaff, Witherden, Rotham, Trew, LEdwards, Baker, Rawlinson, Sheed, Jamieson

The Richmond trade would be a good proposition assuming they could send what’s required back to GCS.

OUT: Pick 3
IN: Pick 7, 10

Barrass trade with HAW:
OUT: Barrass
IN: Pick 8, 26

Freo need a small goal kicking forward to replace Walters and we need a ruck:

OUT: Ryan (200k salary)
IN: Pick 24, Knobel

By acquiring Knobel, we could then get Bailey off the books for good in a deal with Melbourne for example:

OUT: BWilliams
IN: Pick 38

Cumming would have less suitors now that he’s out for the year so I’d offer him band 2 money to join us

Draft:
6-Lalor/MReid
8-Travaglia
10-Lindsay
23-O’Farrell
24-Mraz
26-Oliver
38-Davis
58-Champion match
Rookie-Dennis
FA-Cumming
Trade-Knobel

In-11

Out-13 (incl. Ryan, BWilliams, and Barrass)
Delist: Jones, Gaff, Witherden, Rotham, Trew, LEdwards, Baker, Rawlinson, Sheed, Jamieson

This is exactly what we need to try.

I would like us to still get some players with 3+ preseasons carroll , baker, Garcia.

This issue with any trade with tigers will be them trying to package baker into it and this is where we will get shafted.

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back