List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

What should we do with our 1st round draft pick?

• Finn O’Sullivan

Votes: 33 27.5%
  • Sid Draper

Votes: 16 13.3%
  • Josh Smillie

Votes: 10 8.3%
  • Jagga Smith

Votes: 6 5.0%
  • Split for best mid and Tobie Travaglia

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • Split for best mid and Liam Baker

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • Split for best mid and best KPD

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Split for best two mids

Votes: 4 3.3%
  • Other

Votes: 6 5.0%
  • Sam Lalor

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

Last edited:
Not sure how it works in AFL, but in the overwhelming majority of workplaces in this country, such an arrangement would contravene corruption and bribery policies and lead to investigation and possible dismissal.

Very doubtful Fremantle paid for anything.

Wining and dining potentional recruits happens in every industry.

Carlton hired a private jet from one of their backers when pursuing Dylan Shiel.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

If we end up with pick 3 I'm sceptical that we'll end up with Finn O'Sullivan.
He seems to suit Richmond to a tee IMO and therefore will be off the table.
For us, it'll then be a choice of Smith/Draper/Trainor/some other bolter or trading down to two picks.
I personally have a lot of time for Smith (sans the alleged go-home factor which I don't think there's much basis for atm, but could be proven to be wrong) as he is obviously a high disposal pig (which we could do with) and excellent around the clearances.
However, I could also see the merits with splitting for a mid/forward and a HBF in the 8-15 range.

Wining and dining potentional recruits happens in every industry.

Carlton hired a private jet from one of their backers when pursuing Dylan Shiel.
Yeah, a local firm has been trying to head hunt me and they paid for my freshly squeezed orange juice at our meeting.
Same thing, basically.

If we end up with pick 3 I'm sceptical that we'll end up with Finn O'Sullivan.
He seems to suit Richmond to a tee IMO and therefore will be off the table.

Shades of back in the day when we were hoping Cotchin slipped to our pick :p

Was even hoped that sending Mitch Morton to the Tigers would influence them to take Cale Morton at pick 2.

We ended up with Masten. Considering some of the dross that went after him in Morton, Jarrad Grant, Myers (cue CC coming in to defend him) and Palmer we did all right out of that, it could have been worse.

Nah, We only get rucks from GWS.

e7c59403dd76f9e1c56a1a244998ddd9.jpg

Why would Ch.Warner even consider leaving the Swans?

His club is multiple games clear on top, are clear premiership favourites and has a profile that positions it as the next dynasty in the making.

Plus his brother is at the club as well.

He's 23 and will have plenty of opportunity to chase big contracts later on. Opportunities for premierships however don't come very easy.

Sydney will keep him well-paid by shifting money from L.Parker and T.Adams anyway.
Because he's contracted at around 500-600k for the 2025 season. Eagles can give him 1.5 minimum in 2025 (gaff and yeo both 800k which will be off the books and yeo on significantly less). Gov and tk coming off soon is another 1.8mil. Essentially the first 3 years of his deal will be insane because the afl look to extend the salary cap to another 3million next year. If he stays at syd he will be taking a massive pay cut as blakely, errol heeney etc are on big bucks. West coast big contracts are barass and soon to be Oscar everyone else is on peanuts except duggan who got lucky because we had bulk money at time of his signing. We won't need to pay any of the young kids like harley till 2027. We have an absolute war chest, I can't speak for chad but his manager and westcoast would be trying to make it work. Sydney and freo can't even compete with us it's a luxury we need to take advantage of

Not sure how it works in AFL, but in the overwhelming majority of workplaces in this country, such an arrangement would contravene corruption and bribery policies and lead to investigation and possible dismissal.

Very doubtful Fremantle paid for anything.
More likely “Friends” of Fremantle paid for the holiday.

It happens all the time.

GCS did the same and put Rioli up for a few nights during the bye for his birthday on the Gold Coast.
lol GCS didn’t pay for a thing. Someone else might have, but not the club it’s self,

It's common knowledge that Warner and his girlfriend stayed two or three days at Crown
last week. All paid for by Freo.
It's common knowledge or is it just what peter sumich said? Also if one of the 2 teams in the state you wanted to move to offered you that and was going to make you an offer you'd be silly not to oblige and hear them out. Certainly does not mean it is a fait accompli that he's going to freo, a lot of water to go under the bridge yet.

Why would Ch.Warner even consider leaving the Swans?

His club is multiple games clear on top, are clear premiership favourites and has a profile that positions it as the next dynasty in the making.

Plus his brother is at the club as well.

He's 23 and will have plenty of opportunity to chase big contracts later on. Opportunities for premierships however don't come very easy.

Sydney will keep him well-paid by shifting money from L.Parker and T.Adams anyway.
All true^

The family pull is strong though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Presumably he would look at the 2 clubs list and think the we aren't exactly screaming destination club (still got to replace McGovern/Yeo in the next couple of years).

Haven't had success at trading in players when bottomed out (Yeo we got at 13th, but without historically bad results to boot).
And he's still contracted for another year and a half, plenty of time to change perceptions.

Had plenty of success at trading players in over the course and they all stay long term and rave about the club, as opposed to freo who not only loses players they drafted every season but they also lose players that chose to be traded to them who then change their mind once they get there, countless examples.

Seems like you're taking a pessimistic approach when looking at our chances of trading him in and optimistic when looking at freo's odds. Would be pretty clear to anyone with a brain which club you're better off coming to long term financially, for success, and just which club is a better environment to be in.

We will have more cash to offer than freo and by the end of next year our midfield will be one of the most stacked with young talent in the competition.

Hearing on FB that Barnett has secured a 2 year contract extension, but can't find it anywhere?

Was stated in an article on afl.com which has been posted on here but nothing official from the club as yet

It's common knowledge or is it just what peter sumich said? Also if one of the 2 teams in the state you wanted to move to offered you that and was going to make you an offer you'd be silly not to oblige and hear them out. Certainly does not mean it is a fait accompli that he's going to freo, a lot of water to go under the bridge yet.
I heard it from a reliable source and didn't even know Sumich posted it.

Of course things can change.
But I heard his preference was to go to Freo.

And he's still contracted for another year and a half, plenty of time to change perceptions.

Had plenty of success at trading players in over the course and they all stay long term and rave about the club, as opposed to freo who not only loses players they drafted every season but they also lose players that chose to be traded to them who then change their mind once they get there, countless examples.

Seems like you're taking a pessimistic approach when looking at our chances of trading him in and optimistic when looking at freo's odds. Would be pretty clear to anyone with a brain which club you're better off coming to long term financially, for success, and just which club is a better environment to be in.

We will have more cash to offer than freo and by the end of next year our midfield will be one of the most stacked with young talent in the competition.
At the end of the day, as long as the contract offers are close, when players decide to come home, it's quite often because of relationships they have with certain players at the club.

It was like when Kelly nominated us and Jackson nominated Freo.

Agreed, delighted in fact. Xavier Lindsay and even Taj Hotton (although someone mentioned flight risk?) would be two to look at drafting as well as Travaglia who can fill that HBF/wing role with short midfield bursts in the longer term. Would also love those three you mentioned which would hopefully cost a grand total of our 2R and 4R. Burgiel, Hall and Culley all need to play this week, how else are we going to find out whether to give him another contract?
Totally agree. Yet we persevere with other crabs who should have to earn their spot in the wafl

I would be very happy to get rid of both witho and rotham .

Backline and midfield should be a priority at trade/draft this year . We already have Bergiel who i think needs to be given afl opportunity

In no particular order we target in trade perryman, busslinger, kaleb Smith all good users of the football .
Plenty of young ones who should be getting a run. Stop persevering with crabs who just aren't cutting it. We need to know who will cut it at the level

Back