List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

What should we do with our 1st round draft pick?

• Finn O’Sullivan

Votes: 33 27.5%
  • Sid Draper

Votes: 16 13.3%
  • Josh Smillie

Votes: 10 8.3%
  • Jagga Smith

Votes: 7 5.8%
  • Split for best mid and Tobie Travaglia

Votes: 38 31.7%
  • Split for best mid and Liam Baker

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • Split for best mid and best KPD

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Split for best two mids

Votes: 4 3.3%
  • Other

Votes: 6 5.0%
  • Sam Lalor

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

Last edited:
Was impressed with Charlie Banfield today. Doesn't stop running, very good size, versatile, good decision maker with good skills....

He's also a noted leader, was captain of the WA under 15s and is a leader at Scotch.

Koby Evans is a WC NGA prospect and looks to have plenty of talent too. Eligible 2025 like Banfield.

Wes Walley is a 2025 NGA prospect as well.

I was just reading how the main option that the AFL is considering for changing the academy rules is to make it so the Northern clubs have same restriction as the other clubs, i.e. they can't match a bid for a player in the top 40.

What a stupid system. So you can have an academy and the AFL wants you to plough all this money and resources into it but at the end of the day if the player coming through is too good naturally or you do too good a job of developing him then you get no return on your investment. Who comes up with a stupid convoluted system with a contradictory incentive structure like that?

How about every club gets an academy drawing from roughly evenly sized talent pools and you get to take one player a year from your academy. Or maybe two players. Then the clubs will be incentivized to invest resources and develop and the Northern clubs get to keep players from their local area. Which should be the main two reasons for having academies at all.
Because Oakleigh and Sandringham fall In Collingwood’s zone.

The mid we draft needs to be the rising star winner or be the best mid in year 1.

We need talent that can switch on immediately or we will be on a basket case void.

That rules high ceiling projection players or later pick mids. The players whom will have the best first year are likely FOS or Draper.

We can't afford to have a ginbey/Hewitt type that take time to develop. We need the best first year player.

Talking to a mate who is a diehard Bullies fan. Told him a lot of WC ers were all over Bus.He laughed and couldn’t understand why, when he can’t get a game in the weakest backline in the eight.
But he is West Australian so I can understand the love!!

The mid we draft needs to be the rising star winner or be the best mid in year 1.

We need talent that can switch on immediately or we will be on a basket case void.

That rules high ceiling projection players or later pick mids. The players whom will have the best first year are likely FOS or Draper.

We can't afford to have a ginbey/Hewitt type that take time to develop. We need the best first year player.
I think most of the next tier of mids Moraes, Lalor, Gross, Langford, Reid (III), maybe Lindsay and Hynes could all have an impact. Don’t need to win the B&F in year 1 but would hope they show what we recruited them for.

FOS if we keep, Lalor if we split. From that group I do have some question marks on Moraes ball drop and kicking, Langford athleticism and Hynes awareness and decision making.

Would be really nice if a fast, elite kicking outside mid in the Caleb Windsor mould announced themselves in that bracket because that’s exactly what we need. Xavier Lindsay is probably the closest at the moment and could be available early 2R.

Aside from Harley, who are these first year mids that have significantly impacted the last 5 years? Think we should be more realistic with our expectations.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Smillie & FOS go top 2, then my next preference would be Draper.
Smith is too skinny and doesn't look too impressive despite racking it up.
Could FOS go down the order with his injury?
Getting a mid with our first pick this year is a non-negotiable imo.

If Smillie & FOS go top 2, then my next preference would be Draper.
Smith is too skinny and doesn't look too impressive despite racking it up.
Could FOS go down the order with his injury?
Getting a mid with our first pick this year is a non-negotiable imo.
FOS is going to be interesting if he doesn’t play champs. Last 3 years have been flawless and his injuries have been unlucky hand injuries (i.e Not injury prone). Have the others done enough to pass him yet? Not for mine but I can understand why blokes would put less weighting on previous years performance when making that assessment.

I was just reading how the main option that the AFL is considering for changing the academy rules is to make it so the Northern clubs have same restriction as the other clubs, i.e. they can't match a bid for a player in the top 40.

What a stupid system. So you can have an academy and the AFL wants you to plough all this money and resources into it but at the end of the day if the player coming through is too good naturally or you do too good a job of developing him then you get no return on your investment. Who comes up with a stupid convoluted system with a contradictory incentive structure like that?

How about every club gets an academy drawing from roughly evenly sized talent pools and you get to take one player a year from your academy. Or maybe two players. Then the clubs will be incentivized to invest resources and develop and the Northern clubs get to keep players from their local area. Which should be the main two reasons for having academies at all.
Absolutely, what point is there in having an academy that you can’t recruit good players from?

Last edited:
Are you insane man?? An untested player for one of the best backup rucks going! He’s certainly not a No1 ruck but he’s a very good second!They don’t grow in trees.
We don't need Bwlliams as a back up ruckman as he isn't good enough to be a true ruckman.
He is also not good enough at the moment to be a Forward ruckman. Earlier this year in one of the games when Bailey was being smashed Jwilliiams was on the ball in the last quarter for about ten minutes and competed better.
I would rather we gave game time into Jwilliams and if another club wants to trade for Bwilliams i am not that unhappy but i do think we also need another genuine ruck to bring in while we hopefully wait for Batman to develop

Back