List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

What should we do with our 1st round draft pick?

• Finn O’Sullivan

Votes: 36 27.9%
  • Sid Draper

Votes: 17 13.2%
  • Josh Smillie

Votes: 10 7.8%
  • Jagga Smith

Votes: 6 4.7%
  • Split for best mid and Tobie Travaglia

Votes: 39 30.2%
  • Split for best mid and Liam Baker

Votes: 7 5.4%
  • Split for best mid and best KPD

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • Split for best two mids

Votes: 4 3.1%
  • Other

Votes: 6 4.7%
  • Sam Lalor

Votes: 2 1.6%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

Last edited:

By the way after the key signings of all the young guys they had a interview on the inside swoop and it seems to hint that a clay ball debut isn’t far of.
It said the back half of the season. The coach suggested he wasn't in a hurry to play him yet; something like ' he's a young guy and still has a bit of work to do yet'.
Am really interested to see what impact he has when he does play, or if like many will need a few games to settle in..

It’s going to be a very interesting seeing what happens with list management. A lot of the deadwood/Whipping Boys are in the firing line.

Gaff - Retire
Jones - Delist
Le Edwards - Delist (Wanted him to make it but I just feel like there’s too many more talented kids in front of him that need games now)
Rotham - Delist
Trew - Delist
Baker - Delist

Witherden - 1 year contract
Burgiel - Moved to Rookie List
He Edwards - 1 year contract
Sheed - Let him see out his contract & Cut next year
Culley - 1 year Contract

Rawlinson survives but if we need another list spot he gets cut.

If any of the guys getting 1 year contracts except Culley want to leave I wouldn’t mind. This would give us 5 main list spots to use & potentially 1 rookie spot if we cut Rawlinson.

So much depends on where we finish but this is how i see it atm.

If it's bottom 3 (and it should be) keep the pick and take best available mid. (O'Sullivan please)

Re-sign Duggan and then go Free Agent shopping. Would be very happy with Perryman, Cummings. If Rotham leaves but we bring in one of these boys i'll be happy to get no compo for Rotham.

As for the players still out of contract it will depend on who we can bring in i suppose. They can wait, dson't see anyone knocking down the door to sign Witherden, Culley, Burgiel....etc

Put pressure on the AFL to give us access to our academy (Champion) and a few additional rookie spots because they won't be giving us picks.

Look at bolstering our half back line and midfield with our second and potentially future second and third round picks.

Busslinger, Baker, Carroll, Roberston, Sheldrick...etc I'd look at any of these players IF the price is right.

Not interested in trading away Barrass. Just watch last weeks game..... and we want to trade that away?

Add a few new draft prospects, trade for a couple of players and add someone of worth from Free agency and i would call that a very productive off season.

Happy to turn over only 5-6 players this year.

Last edited:
Would cost too much in a trade imo.
Pick 41 2020.

So he has played 17 games in 4 seasons. That's a late 3rd rounder.

Blues will want the camporeli twins this year and another FS next year as well as the Gresham brother as an NGA next year.

With the AFL making changes to bidding for academies and FS I suspect Carrol is gettable.

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

Pick 41 2020.

So he has played 17 games in 4 seasons. That's a late 3rd rounder.

Blues will want the camporeli twins this year and another FS next year as well as the Gresham brother as an NGA next year.

With the AFL making changes to bidding for academies and FS I suspect Carrol is gettable.

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app
I think they would want our 2nd rounder.

If it’s a 3rd rounder, Done deal.

Our 20s pick, Don’t like it.

But you missed the point that depending on the academy rules, points in Tigers later picks would go back to the Suns

Also stated it would be the lesser of their R1 plus the pick 20 the got from North
That is still very expensive for Rioli, and still doesn’t make much sense to me, as they pretty much have the points now for Lombard, and I’m not sure if they have another academy kid worth bidding on this year.

ESPN article on Bo Allan for anyone interested.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That is still very expensive for Rioli, and still doesn’t make much sense to me, as they pretty much have the points now for Lombard, and I’m not sure if they have another academy kid worth bidding on this year.

Historically Gold Coast have been, let’s say generous, when it comes to R1 picks largely because they’ve had access to so many they don’t seem to value them as highly as other clubs

They’ve also had trouble attracting established high end talent from other clubs

Rioli for a pick around 10 and pick 20 with perhaps one or more R2/R3 picks coming back sounds like something they would do. For any other club it would be considered overs

Keep in mind the proposed bidding changes sound like they won’t be introduced until next year so the Suns will be able to shop around their other R1 pick knowing they still be able to get Lombard

We have no idea what salary has been offered to be picked up by Tigers. That changes the deal big time. There is a reason Cal is talking about pick purchasing as it is happening now, but not as transparently.

Using the current points (and yes - its likely to change), I have put all of the Tigers R3 and beyond as going back to the Suns. Here is what there is to play with (and not worried about the list size issues or the exact machinations of the deal or logic to say whether the full suite of picks makes sense). It rates Rioli as pick 19 (and without any salary paid).
1719385089738.png

Richmond could then be taking 2, 10, 20, 22 and 32 to the draft. Wow. Suns have 8, 26, 30, 40, 41, 52, 54, 58, 62, 69, and 71.

There are so many scenarios that could play out to make this workable. I do not propose we go down that burrow. Other drivers - Suns want a F1. Suns may like to get a pick in before Lombard. Blues are possible R1 sellers as they are tracking for a late teens pick - about where the best of the twins looks to be landing. Crows want points, Welsch is highly likely to go before Crows pick 29. Lions are sellers for points and may trade a future pick.

So there is a load of speculation about Tom Barrass.

Here is the HUN's latest - but it is Duff who has more credibility than the usual sources.

West Coast key defender Tom Barrass knocks back trade interest despite ‘gettable’ tag​

All the talk around Tom Barrass is that he’s ‘gettable’ by a big club in the hunt for a flag despite three years to go on his contract. He speaks to MARK DUFFIELD about his name being thrown around yet again.

Tom Barrass says he is a West Coast player and will remain so unless the “rug gets pulled out from under my feet”.
West Coast says Barrass is a “required” player – an important part of a rebuild where the Eagles are trying to add young and mid range talent to a group of veterans who are playing good footy but are all on the clock as far as longevity goes simply because of age.

And the facts are that the 28-year-old Barrass will still have three years of a contract to run at the end of this year. Even if he was to decide to go – the Eagles could just sit quietly and say no.
But the noise continues about Barrass being “gettable” There was a lot of it at the end of last year about the possibility of him joining Sydney.

With Elliot Yeo now signed and secured for three years Barrass becomes the one obvious senior Eagle who may command interest and who is young enough to be worth enough draft collateral to get the Eagles interested in trading an accomplished, contracted player.

Barrass suffered a serious back injury in a heavy fall from a marking contest against Richmond in the 2023 season – fracturing one vertebrae and compressing five others. It is an injury that needs constant and ongoing maintenance now and Barrass openly speaks of the good luck he had in the fall not turning him into a quadriplegic.

But it hasn’t impacted his form at West Coast this season. Only Jake Waterman has taken more contested marks. Barrass has more contested marks in 13 games than fellow interceptor Jeremy McGovern – one of the game’s great contested marks – has taken despite playing an extra game.

If a club that perceives itself to be one big backman away from a flag goes looking at the end of the season and believes it has a two to three year window to grab the cup, Barrass is as good a bet as anyone – hence the speculation.
And with young defender Harry Edwards starting to emerge at the Eagles and unable to permanently claim a spot in the team because of the presence of Barrass and McGovern, the Eagles may have a price in mind that will turn their heads, regardless of what they and Barrass say now.

Barrass claims he only becomes aware of speculation that he might leave when he fronts press conferences and gets asked about it.

“I don’t read the media or the social media. I usually find out when I am sitting in here in front of you,” he said to media on Tuesday.

Tom Barrass and Josh Rotham celebrate a win in Round 10. Picture: Daniel Carson/AFL Photos via Getty Images.
“It happens every year and it is hardly a story, AFL clubs chasing established key position player. It is just the currency of football and I wouldn’t be reading into it too much.”

“I am a West Coast Eagles player and unless the rug gets pulled out from under my feet I will stay that way.” “I am really excited about what we are doing here. I am really excited about some of the talent. I think we have still got some progress we need to make and we have got some improvements that we can make before we are going to be considered a good team but I believe that we can do it.”

“And I believe that if we work as a team that it is a lot closer than people probably perceive.”

Football manager Gavin Bell said Barrass and McGovern were the keys to the Eagles defence and Barrass was a required player. “Both great players – Gov – his achievements throughout his career have been outstanding and Tommy Barrass continues to grow on field but also both guys are fully invested off field which is really exciting for us,” he told SEN. “They are helping our younger players come through. They are playing the game the right way, they are training and preparing at a new level which has been great as an example to our younger guys. There is a good core group there and now it is for us to canoe to build our midfield and to become a side that has a lot of depth.”

“Tom is a required player for us. His impact on field and his impact off field continue to grow.” “Accumulating more top end picks is a challenge, there is no doubt about it.” But he said the club had chosen against using an Elliot Yeo departure to get picks and would almost certainly do the same with Barrass.

“They are important for us and our position hasn’t changed. We believe in a system where we have good strong core players at a leadership level with experienced guys there to be able to help bring this young group through.” “We are looking at all three mechanisms to bring players in. We believe in the draft. We have traditionally been a draft and development club so we believe in that model. We also understand and have identified and articulated that we have some gaps in our list through the middle core, age profile of our list. Lots of kids, quite a few veterans and then the middle part of our list we are lacking some depth there.”

“That opens us up for opportunities in trade and free agency as well.”

=================================================
What we know is that Tom signed his extension just after the Covid cuts and prior to the cap increase. It is highly unlikely that the contract has escalation clauses meaning he is likely to be on good but not great money in the next 3.

I have heard he is wanting a 2 year extension to be a total of 5 years. Is this a sticking point? Probably not for a club like the Dogs where travel is less of an issue. A club could also be prepared to add a bit to his current salary as well as the last 2 years. An additional $200k for 3 years plus $1 mln for the final 2 years is an additional $1.3 mln! Not something to sneeze at.

Tom is unlikely to be playing for us in our next flag tilt. Simple.

Gov is looking pretty robust and when both he and Tom were missing, we struggled.

We have a load of untried/developing talls who could fill a KPD role. Harry Edwards is ready. Rotham (not my favourite player) he has filled a KPD role. We seem to think Jamieson will make it as a KPD. Is Archer a KPD or a KPF? If Barnett fails as a ruck I believe he could be a KPD. Could Livingstone pinch hit?

Yes, Tom is a required player. But so are some top end picks. The Smith picks the Dogs get will be around the 7 to 10 mark. That is around the Travaglia mark. Seems unders. Could we get the Buss plus this pick for Tom and a F2 or F3? We can always look at keeping part of his salary. Grainger-Barrras has supposedly improved his tank. Could he be a cheaper version that the Buss?

Tom will let his manager do the dealing and sit back saying "I know nothing". To win a flag a club needs to accumulate top end talent in a similar age group. Trading Tom is a realistic option. Oh and there will be other suitors than Dogs. Swans have the currency with R1 and 19 and McArtin is only 1 more head knock away from joining his brother. Pies are keen but it might take 2 x F1 to land him given they will be more likely to be contending with Tom. The Hawks miss out on Battle and Smith - would they be wanting to join the race?

Loads to play out on this one.

Back