List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

What should we do with our 1st round draft pick?

• Finn O’Sullivan

Votes: 52 22.5%
  • Sid Draper

Votes: 46 19.9%
  • Josh Smillie

Votes: 16 6.9%
  • Jagga Smith

Votes: 23 10.0%
  • Split for best mid and Tobie Travaglia

Votes: 50 21.6%
  • Split for best mid and Liam Baker

Votes: 19 8.2%
  • Split for best mid and best KPD

Votes: 3 1.3%
  • Split for best two mids

Votes: 8 3.5%
  • Other

Votes: 10 4.3%
  • Sam Lalor

Votes: 4 1.7%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

High price for Petty. He’s hardly a star.

Barrass is only worth a first according to most pundits on here. No comparison between Petty and Barrass as players.

Barrass takes contested marks, Petty stands on the mark.
Petty played like 7-8 good games and that was it. They should have snapped up Adelaide’s offer in an instant. Absolute C grader.

WC give: Pick 2 or 3
WC get from Suns: 7,8 & Davies

WC give: Barrass, F2
WC get from Dogs: 1st they get for Smith + F1

WC give: Waterman
WC get from Melbourne: 9 + F1

Take 7,8,9 and 14 or so to the draft

I’ll take my tin foil hat off now
If any one comes off.

Celebrate In Love GIF by Max

We have never taken advantage of this or picked the right ones.
We had 1 Irish player, Paddy Brophy

Left mid way through a season to go back to Ireland.

But doesn't seem to be many Irish players coming out to the league these days? Might be my imagination but that we'll seems to be drying up

We have to keep in mind as well that a new coach will want different players.

If I'm Dean Cox am I wanting a new number 1 ruck. Am I saying Eagles get me English because that's something I can work with.

He can get English to show more physicality? Love to see that. Mind you, still an upgrade on anything we have.

Wonder what miracle cox can do with Barnett. A human example of what development in reverse gear looks like.

It's hard to believe that Humphries wasn't even a mainstay in the league team. Bloke has showed more confidence and promise in a handful of games then Chesser has in his entire career.

Maybe a new coach can utilise Chess better, but fu*ken hell, life would have been so much easier if our recruiting team actually gave a shit.
It's hard to believe that Humphries wasn't even a mainstay in the league team. Bloke has showed more confidence and promise in a handful of games then Chesser has in his entire career.

Maybe a new coach can utilise Chess better, but fu*ken hell, life would have been so much easier if our recruiting team actually gave a shit.
And had a modicum of competence.

We'd be absolutely nuts to trade Waterman IMO. He's only a year older than Allen and one of the best forwards in the comp currently.

TB probably more expendable given his age and potential compo, but I'm going to guess it doesn't happen.
This.

Waterman and Allen are our pillars for the foreseeable future and we would be mad to trade either of them.

We won’t be trading Allen it just won’t happen it’s not in West Coasts dna to be that aggressive.

It would have to be a huge offer, whilst he’s not the best fwd in the competition he’s definitely of high quality and rarely would clubs unless forced give up a 25yr old high quality KPF.
Has there ever been a team to trade out one of their best 2-3 players willingly?
Only way it has ever happened is if the player itself has initiated it because they want to go home etc. Or if they've got big personal issues, like Beams (which was probably player-led anyhow) or Oliver (which never happened anyhow).
It's just not happening & anyone who muses that it might is wasting everyone's time.

Need to recruit Cats WA scout. Humphries and Nick Martin would’ve looked good for us on a wing/hbf

You’re spot on, along with TK, all snatched from our backyard.

However, not sure any of us on BF are confident these players would have received sufficient/adequate development at the Eagles.

Our drafting and development have been a huge let down looking back.

Look at some of Geelong’s better players last night:
  • Holmes, 21 (pick 20).
  • Humpries, 21 (pick 63).
  • Dempsey, 21 (pick 15 rookie draft).

Reminder, they won a flag two years ago.

Here we are, running around trying to cram as many 30 year old’s into a team as we can.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I wonder if we are beginning to regret the Yeo extension now. At the time I thought it was completely the wrong direction ...

If we let it play out and he really got a 1mill offer from Adelaide, we could have 2x Top 5 picks now.

Another case of the Eagles holding onto players too long. Love Yeo, but doesn't do anyone any favours having him run around with a ticking time bomb....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wonder if we are beginning to regret the Yeo extension now. At the time I thought it was completely the wrong direction ...

If we let it play out and he really got a 1mill offer from Adelaide, we could have 2x Top 5 picks now.

Another case of the Eagles holding onto players too long. Love Yeo, but doesn't do anyone any favours having him run around with a ticking time bomb....
Well barrass is the next one. If he wants to chase a contract until his mid thirties, then he can gift wce some draft picks on the way out.

I call bs on the massive offers he was getting, sure there'd be some interest but not what was reported adelaide had offered. Players and players managers know there is a big pay increase in 2025 they all want a part of it which they are entitled too. I love yeo but the club shouldn't of offered 3 years

High price for Petty. He’s hardly a star.

Barrass is only worth a first according to most pundits on here. No comparison between Petty and Barrass as players.

Barrass takes contested marks, Petty stands on the mark.
Petty is contracted and 24 . Crows offered a fair bit last season but Melbourne stood firm thinking that they have an aging backline and still contending

It may be a swap of firsts and something else but Melbourne would want something significant to let him go

Yeo would never get us band 1 compo . Age is one of the triggers and he is 30

WC give: Pick 2 or 3
WC get from Suns: 7,8 & Davies

WC give: Barrass, F2
WC get from Dogs: 1st they get for Smith + F1

WC give: Waterman
WC get from Melbourne: 9 + F1

Take 7,8,9 and 14 or so to the draft

I’ll take my tin foil hat off now
Will be very hard trying to get those picks out of GC when I think Richmond will want them from rioli and might be in eagles best case to keep pick 2/3 if we can land FOS

Don't wanna lose barass but 9 and f1 we'd have to really consider. If we could keep the f2 and get 9 + wb f1 absolutely

If we want more picks I'd rather float duggan than Waterman he shits me with his flour bag kicks but understand we could prob get r1 + one of mcvee or rivers from melb with Waterman

Petty is contracted and 24 . Crows offered a fair bit last season but Melbourne stood firm thinking that they have an aging backline and still contending

It may be a swap of firsts and something else but Melbourne would want something significant to let him go
Petty has absolutely tanked his value this year. Was the worst rated player in the afl according to champion data at one stage. Can’t see Crows coming for him this year given he’s a FA next year and would cost nothing draft wise.

On a seperate note, your man Kaleb Smith has put together a pretty solid VFL season and still can’t break into a rebuilding tigers side (ring any bells?). If we finally come to our senses and rid ourselves of Witho and Rotham he could probably be in our starting 22 with a good preseason.

1720826863392.jpeg
The fact they still aren’t playing him may suggest that he won’t be there next year, especially with the amount of draft picks they have amassed. Would be a great result through the PSD or DFA if it pans out that way. Good spot early.

Will be very hard trying to get those picks out of GC when I think Richmond will want them from rioli and might be in eagles best case to keep pick 2/3 if we can land FOS

Don't wanna lose barass but 9 and f1 we'd have to really consider. If we could keep the f2 and get 9 + wb f1 absolutely

If we want more picks I'd rather float duggan than Waterman he shits me with his flour bag kicks but understand we could prob get r1 + one of mcvee or rivers from melb with Waterman
Seems like Steven May is also keen on a trade. Hopefully he’s made Rivers and McVee want to punch him too.
1720827140702.jpeg

You’re spot on, along with TK, all snatched from our backyard.

However, not sure any of us on BF are confident these players would have received sufficient/adequate development at the Eagles.

Our drafting and development have been a huge let down looking back.

Look at some of Geelong’s better players last night:
  • Holmes, 21 (pick 20).
  • Humpries, 21 (pick 63).
  • Dempsey, 21 (pick 15 rookie draft).

Reminder, they won a flag two years ago.

Here we are, running around trying to cram as many 30 year old’s into a team as we can.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Agreed. Does help with the players you have around you and Swans and Cats develop their players better then anyone.

TK everyone sort of knew about him pre draft and by all reports he was our next pick.

I’m not all over the Eagles NGA and how they run it but for Humphries to be in our NGA and I assume being around our scouts and development coaches and they couldn’t see the potential is worrying.

We had 1 Irish player, Paddy Brophy

Left mid way through a season to go back to Ireland.

But doesn't seem to be many Irish players coming out to the league these days? Might be my imagination but that we'll seems to be drying up
Definitely drying up but Crows got Keane back out here and that has worked well.

I’m not 100% but I think they normally come over as cat b and a lot of teams use their NGAs who don’t get drafted for those spots. Or ex basteballers/cricketers now ect

I think the Suns one definitely can - maybe not Davies if he doesn’t want to move West, but they’d take that pick offer for sure, unless Richmond at pick 1 are willing to offer them the same deal (highly, highly doubt it).
I don't see the Suns taking a points deficit in any trade

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

Back