Autopsy Round 21, 2024: Positives and Negatives vs Gold Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

WOW, what a game, where do you even start?

All positives today, no time for negatives after that one.

** TEAM **
  • Talk about cracking in. Such a great game to watch, looking forward to a replay today.
  • Despite losing the hit-outs 59-29 (-30), we won the clearances 41-36 (+5). We also scored more from stoppages (+10) & centre bounces (+12). Wern't there some people not happy with Shuey as midfield/stoppage coach?
  • Just felt like the right blend of youth and experience. Our equal youngest team for a win this season, matching the round 5 win against the Tigers, with an average age of 25.1.
  • Had more of the footy, Eagles 373 disposals to Suns 321 (+52) and still managed to win the tackle count 66 to 56 (+10).
  • Less inside 50's and less shots on goal than the Suns, shows of some elite efficieny going inside 50, keeping it inside 50 and then executing.

** INDIVIDUAL **
  • J.Will straight fire again. Back to back best on ground with age and TOG factored in.
  • Reid another solid game that is becoming the standrad of him.
  • Ginbey, where ar those people calling for his head? "Can't kick, isn't a natural footballer" jog on, you pelicans. Third best game of his 37 game career, equal best disposals, best disposal efficient of those three 22 disposal games and his most metres gained 400m).
  • Welcome back Oscar best game of the year, one we had all been waiting for. Must have heard some BF people calling for him to be traded.
  • Yeo, Gov, TK, Darling & Cripps doing what we need from the senior cits.
  • Very excited by the games from Johnston, Hall & Dewar. May as well keep them in for the final three.

1722643620376.png

A couple of things that stood out after watching the replay that I missed at the game.

Darlings game was even better than I thought, his tackling was beast mode, he was seriously bruising people.
Harvey Johnston was rock solid and used the ball well, dunno how I didn't notice that.

+ As mentioned Darlings best game for the year by a wide margin.
Hall, Dewar and Johnston didn't look out of place and stood up when they got the chance.
As a whole unit we won the midfield battle.
Harleys physicality for a first year player is mental.
When your team is shit for months on end the thrill of a win is magnified threefold.
Gov, Ginbey and Hough held the backline together in the second half.
Watermans is marking everything.
J Williams won the Williams battle but Bailey was ok.
Old mate next to me cracked it at half time and went home. Loser.
The little bar right at the entrance to our seats was open for the first time since covid.

- Umpires, although not as bad as I thought on replay they still plucked a lot of decisions straight out of their rectums.
Cripps was at his fumbly best, I forgive him cos of the last goal
Duggo needs to take more care with his kicking, shanking kicks when you are kicking over a mark is unforgivable.
Witherden is earning his whipping boy status.

The players are being selected after decent games now though, which was the original point you were picking at.

At the start of the year the wafl team was not great, and nobody was playing well outside Trew who couldn't break into a midfield that was full.

Trying to bring in selection integrity was very important to try to get players to perform.
Simmo probably just wasn't ruthless enough going about it
Dewar and Harvey havnt been any better recently compared to earlier in the year. Harvey has actually barely played in the wafl.

Hall was arguably in better form in the past afl under simmo.

One negative that people dont want to talk about is Tim Kelly and is absolutely putrid disposal + defensive efforts. Gotta ask the question. Is this guy not running around with the same weaknesses Dom Sheed has?

Kellys first half of the season was okay at best but last half of the season his defensive efforts and ball burning has been at a all time high. I think we gotta start playing him in other positions. He needs to spend more time on the wing and HFF in the next few years so others can develop. If he cant play HFF/Wing then we may as well just play Dom Sheed at this rate. Sheeds disposal is slightly better
Jesus really, some people just see what they want to see, Kelly dug us out of plenty of holes last night winning back footy he had no right to. His kicking is no worse than Yeo's or Rowell's, Olivers, Dangerfields or a lot of other midfielders who kick it a under pressure often.

Jesus really, some people just see what they want to see, Kelly dug us out of plenty of holes last night winning back footy he had no right to. His kicking is no worse than Yeo's or Rowell's, Olivers, Dangerfields or a lot of other midfielders who kick it a under pressure often.
It's not his under pressure kicks I worry about, it's when he's failing to hit a forward under no pressure.

The only negative is those who want the Navy back full time, and they are using the same tropes as last time (looks tougher, more professional, jumper matches my jeans and white new balances more.) Don’t piss on the work done with the return the wings campaign.
Navy with the old eagles head is elite…

…twice a year every five to ten years.

Tremendous retro jumper we should get to see each generation in a couple of times. No chance anyone should actually be clamouring for the Royal to go.

He memorably had two really bad turnovers streaming forward yesterday, but beyond that was exceptional. I’m usually perplexed about how TK has become enemy #1 to some on here, but after last night let’s upgrade that to astonished.

He was immense. It’s not SuperCoach, I know, but 31 touches, dug out a tonne of footy which apparently he doesn’t do, some of the play he opened up by being clean in tight was game changing. I just don’t get how a fan base of the reigning wooden spooners, watching our fourth win of the year and 10th odd in four years is arriving at the conclusion that we wouldn’t be infinitely better with five Tim Kelly’s on our list, not none.

To see his best, he should be rotating off HFF and playing predominantly outside as a mid, but…gestures wildly at our midfield options. TK the full time midfielder is the cards we’ve been dealt, and the hand wringing over him is genuinely bizarre.

Some people just see what they want to see is something i couldnt agree with more. I mean he had 8 clangers last night

Did you see what he does when he misses the first contest. He puts his head down and throws in the towel. Many times last night he missed the contest only to drop his head and console himself before bothering to muster up a jog to get to the next one

He created many holes last night too. Like many here, with Kelly they can only focus on the good and with Sheed they can only focus on the bad. Its a bit to do with sunken cost fallacy that is the Tim Kelly trade a little bit and a bit to do with the fact Sheed just looks more laconic then Kelly does given Sheed is forced to play more outside and out of positoon then Kelly who gets a free run in the guts.

At this stage of our rebuild, we need people willing to crack in defensively and make good decisions with the ball. Kelly does neither and is a great big hole because of it. Id like to see Kelly sacrifice a bit of his game, stop ball hunting every 2 seconds and give Yeo, Reid more of a chance to get some clearances and push the contest forward because in reality both do it better then Kelly does. Without that side to his game, I feel like Kellys days in the midfield are numbered. You cannot sit here and think we are better off with say Reid bursting forward then Kelly or you cannot think we are better with Kelly hunting the clearance then Yeo, who is much better in standing up in a tackle to dish the ball off to someone like Reid who we simply must get the ball in the hands of more

A big part of 2024 off season for me is simple. How do we get Harley Reid 30 possessions a game and make him the focal point of that midfield. Everyone needs to buy into this. Kelly does not strike me as someone who will.

Positives.
It's incredible how that 5 weeks ago we didn't have any kids apart from reid and long who could play and we were a basket case and the credits in the bank shit ruled. But now in a short 5 weeks we have kids playing like they belong in the AFL.

Ginbey
Reid
Johnston
Hall
Williams
Edwards
Trew

All had great games and played their roles and instead of doom and gloom there is a bright future I reckon.

The older players including darling stepping up.

Duggan...until last night I didn't think he was captain material but he really stepped up and led from the front.

Negatives
It was clear to everyone including blind Freddy that those umpires did everything they could to get gold coast the win.
****ing cheating scumbags so many decisions that were just clear cheating. Most notable the Williams holding free against him.
Bullshit AFL trying to generate their plastic team in the finals.

He memorably had two really bad turnovers streaming forward yesterday, but beyond that was exceptional. I’m usually perplexed about how TK has become enemy #1 to some on here, but after last night let’s upgrade that to astonished.

He was immense. It’s not SuperCoach, I know, but 31 touches, dug out a tonne of footy which apparently he doesn’t do, some of the play he opened up by being clean in tight was game changing. I just don’t get how a fan base of the reigning wooden spooners, watching our fourth win of the year and 10th odd in four years is arriving at the conclusion that we wouldn’t be infinitely better with five Tim Kelly’s on our list, not none.

To see his best, he should be rotating off HFF and playing predominantly outside as a mid, but…gestures wildly at our midfield options. TK the full time midfielder is the cards we’ve been dealt, and the hand wringing over him is genuinely bizarre.
Should be playing in the Magoo's apparently.

That's if we want to make a statement.......

Just like Darling should be paid out of his contract.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What a game!

+ves
JACK WILLIAMS! So glad our recruiters spotted this guy as a later pick in the draft. Such a clean, smart, and skilled footballer. Jack >>>>>> Bailey now.
Reuben Ginbey - master stroke to line him up on Mac Andrew after the 1st qtr. Awesome off half back.
Clay Hall - did some special things on debut
Our original song - PLEASE RE-INSTALL THIS VERSION.
Jack Darling - his pressure was elite tonight.

-ves
Umpire 42 - enough said
At the ground I was so frustrated with Kelly's turnovers etc... also, he doesn't cover the ground enough defensively in open play, which puts pressure on our other players. But watching the replay when I got home, his game looked better.
Cripps - Goal in the last few minutes was great but he fumbled and turned the ball over all night.

Could not agree anymore with that statement but disagree with the last. The gestures wildly at midfield options to me is ignoring the fact Kelly is too similar to what we have in the midfield. We are much better off with gesters wildly someone putting a body on Matt Rowell in a tag to give Reid/Yeo more space to get to business. Im content with that being Zane Trew/Clay Hall for the time being as it will get the ball in the hands of those we need them in

Its better to get the balance right then just chuck people on a whiteboard cos they are more talented then others. This is what led Simmo down the "lets play 5 tall forwards" path in reality and that worked about as well as we all thought it would

A long term quality player at 9 is the goal, not the position they play.

People get far too carried away with the idea that anyone in the top 10 in the draft should be an elite mid like there's not 15 other positions on the ground.
Particularly when so much of the modern game is generated from the half-back line.

Should be playing in the Magoo's apparently.

That's if we want to make a statement.......

Just like Darling should be paid out of his contract.
We dropped Darling, told him to focus on defensive pressure, he came back, he played better

I dont see Tim Kelly as someone above that lesson. He needs to be better defensively as well as making space for others. A game in the WAFL so he understands that is important isnt beyond him at all. If you want to set standards, then you cant pick people based on salary or even possession tally.

The entire team needs to do more defensively. Kelly is number 1 on that list

Positives: Farrrk that was good. That's the power of a proper version of the song.
Some credit also to the players I suppose.

Special mention to retro Jack Darling. Immense.
Once Simmo was gone I figured JD may as well join him. I was wrong.

I don't care who the oppo was, that was a bloody good Friday evening.

Navy with the old eagles head is elite…

…twice a year every five to ten years.

Tremendous retro jumper we should get to see each generation in a couple of times. No chance anyone should actually be clamouring for the Royal to go.
Twice a year every year? The Derbies. Or alternate for our home games (or away games)
The royal is too comic book colour/lame for mine, but I realise if put to a vote the royal would blitz navy lovers. The other strip I like in the comp is Carlton, for the same reasons (or tropes).
Anyway it's personal taste, each to their own...

Some people just see what they want to see is something i couldnt agree with more. I mean he had 8 clangers last night

Did you see what he does when he misses the first contest. He puts his head down and throws in the towel. Many times last night he missed the contest only to drop his head and console himself before bothering to muster up a jog to get to the next one

He created many holes last night too. Like many here, with Kelly they can only focus on the good and with Sheed they can only focus on the bad. Its a bit to do with sunken cost fallacy that is the Tim Kelly trade a little bit and a bit to do with the fact Sheed just looks more laconic then Kelly does given Sheed is forced to play more outside and out of positoon then Kelly who gets a free run in the guts.

At this stage of our rebuild, we need people willing to crack in defensively and make good decisions with the ball. Kelly does neither and is a great big hole because of it. Id like to see Kelly sacrifice a bit of his game, stop ball hunting every 2 seconds and give Yeo, Reid more of a chance to get some clearances and push the contest forward because in reality both do it better then Kelly does. Without that side to his game, I feel like Kellys days in the midfield are numbered. You cannot sit here and think we are better off with say Reid bursting forward then Kelly or you cannot think we are better with Kelly hunting the clearance then Yeo, who is much better in standing up in a tackle to dish the ball off to someone like Reid who we simply must get the ball in the hands of more

A big part of 2024 off season for me is simple. How do we get Harley Reid 30 possessions a game and make him the focal point of that midfield. Everyone needs to buy into this. Kelly does not strike me as someone who will.
Kelly to hff. Graham, Hall, Duggan, and if we get any other mids in for next year.

It's an easy fix. Kelly, Yeo and Reid is too many cooks in the kitchen. Yeo and Reid have the synergy, Kelly is the 3rd wheel a bit.

Kelly to hff. Graham, Hall, Duggan, and if we get any other mids in for next year.

It's an easy fix. Kelly, Yeo and Reid is too many cooks in the kitchen. Yeo and Reid have the synergy, Kelly is the 3rd wheel a bit.
Every single human alive wants Reid to get more possessions, im just confused as to how people expect that to happen when Kelly is racking up 25+ and hunting the ball all the time.

Getting 25+ stats and killing it with AFL dream team scores isnt a path to success here as he is just taking possessions away from better users. Its a bit like Jack Macrae and Western Bulldogs. They can easily chuck him in that midfield 3 and let him rack up 25+ a game but when your primary goal is to get Bont the ball, the a guy like Liberatore who can go in, block, tackle and dish the ball out as the primary objective is the much superior option

I generally always think TK has a decent to pretty good game most weeks. Until I log onto BF and get informed that he is in fact the worst player of all time.

It's a very strange BF take that he sucks.

Your comments have some merit but there have been many games where tk looked like he couldn't give 2 shits and that wasnt just him though. He would waltz from contest to contest and get the easy ball and then squib his disposals.

The club has genuinely turned a corner and whether people like it or not the team has had a massive improvement since simmo being sacked and there is a breath of fresh air though the club and that is affecting everyone including Kelly.
Even Duggan played a game meritorious of a captain.

A lot of people who have questioned why simmo needed to be gone should have their question answered last night and the last 4 weeks has shown growth that we haven't seen for years.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 21, 2024: Positives and Negatives vs Gold Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

Back