List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

What should we do with our 1st round draft pick?

• Finn O’Sullivan

Votes: 51 21.7%
  • Sid Draper

Votes: 51 21.7%
  • Josh Smillie

Votes: 16 6.8%
  • Jagga Smith

Votes: 23 9.8%
  • Split for best mid and Tobie Travaglia

Votes: 50 21.3%
  • Split for best mid and Liam Baker

Votes: 19 8.1%
  • Split for best mid and best KPD

Votes: 3 1.3%
  • Split for best two mids

Votes: 8 3.4%
  • Other

Votes: 10 4.3%
  • Sam Lalor

Votes: 4 1.7%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

Agreed. Does help with the players you have around you and Swans and Cats develop their players better then anyone.

TK everyone sort of knew about him pre draft and by all reports he was our next pick.

I’m not all over the Eagles NGA and how they run it but for Humphries to be in our NGA and I assume being around our scouts and development coaches and they couldn’t see the potential is worrying.
I think lately (whilst desirable) our focus has shifted too far from footballers to athletes. Humphries went at 95% disposal efficiency off a HBF, we could only dream of those numbers. I know this might come as a left field suggestion but kicking is a pretty important attribute in footy.

Petty has absolutely tanked his value this year. Was the worst rated player in the afl according to champion data at one stage. Can’t see Crows coming for him this year given he’s a FA next year and would cost nothing draft wise.

On a seperate note, your man Kaleb Smith has put together a pretty solid VFL season and still can’t break into a rebuilding tigers side (ring any bells?). If we finally come to our senses and rid ourselves of Witho and Rotham he could probably be in our starting 22 with a good preseason.

View attachment 2046638
The fact they still aren’t playing him may suggest that he won’t be there next year, especially with the amount of draft picks they have amassed. Would be a great result through the PSD or DFA if it pans out that way. Good spot early.
He is a very good runner and user of the ball off the HBF but from reading the Richmond board his defensive game is lacking .

It takes a special talent in the jetta and suckling mould to play as an offensive weapon without being a good defender .

Farrell from Port is in that mold too and for all his offensive weapons teams exploit his match up going the other way.

like I mentioned on another thread.

Most of our under performing guys would look bloody good in an Ess or geel side

Sent from my SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app
Agreed but what is your reasoning?

Coaching plan?
Development?
Players they play with?

Because our older guys are are pretty decent. One of the best spines in the afl TB-Gov-Yeo-OA-Waterman? Missing a lot of above average role players

I wonder if we are beginning to regret the Yeo extension now. At the time I thought it was completely the wrong direction ...

If we let it play out and he really got a 1mill offer from Adelaide, we could have 2x Top 5 picks now.

Another case of the Eagles holding onto players too long. Love Yeo, but doesn't do anyone any favours having him run around with a ticking time bomb....

Yeo would not have generated band 1 compo.

So re-signing was 100% the right call. For many reasons.

He is a very good runner and user of the ball off the HBF but from reading the Richmond board his defensive game is lacking .

It takes a special talent in the jetta and suckling mould to play as an offensive weapon without being a good defender .

Farrell from Port is in that mold too and for all his offensive weapons teams exploit his match up going the other way.
Farrell is one I’ve got my eye on as a FA next year. Going to be interesting to see what kind of defensive strategy the new coach goes with next year to utilise strengths and cover weaknesses. Smith can certainly run both ways so really no excuse. I think that’s another reason Sheldrick has found himself on the outer at the Swans.

I think lately (whilst desirable) our focus has shifted too far from footballers to athletes. Humphries went at 95% disposal efficiency of a HBF, we could only dream of those numbers. I know this might come as a left field suggestion but kicking is a pretty important attribute in footy.
We have by fair the worse run and kicking HBF/Wings in the league, along with decision making. Much needed help required asap. I think Baker could help a lot with this.

The weird thing is with all this Simmo reflecting, one of the things that stood out was how high he was on this and the continuous training to improve it when he arrived. Now we only have Maric, Ryan, Long and I like Brockman kicking.

WC give: Pick 2 or 3
WC get from Suns: 7,8 & Davies

WC give: Barrass, F2
WC get from Dogs: 1st they get for Smith + F1

WC give: Waterman
WC get from Melbourne: 9 + F1

Take 7,8,9 and 14 or so to the draft

I’ll take my tin foil hat off now
It would make me sick to my stomach to see GC get a top 3 pick and Lombard.

And then us miss out on the top rung of mids .

If Lombard was available in the national draft I would pick him at 3 .

Getting a fast agile mid that moves through traffic well and pounces on loose balls without going to ground is a midfield type we lack .

Lombard and draiper are the 2 of that type at the top end of the draft

Farrell is one I’ve got my eye on as a FA next year. Going to be interesting to see what kind of defensive strategy the new coach goes with next year to utilise strengths and cover weaknesses. Smith can certainly run both ways so really no excuse. I think that’s another reason Sheldrick has found himself on the outer at the Swans.
We also have matty clark who was incharge at Richmond when kaleb was drafted .
I remember they reached for him early . He was not tipped to go until late national draft after playing school footy all year so they obviously rated him highly .

Might be part of a swap with Baker and Burgeil who hasn't signed a contract either

Getting a fast agile mid that moves through traffic well and pounces on loose balls without going to ground is a midfield type we lack .

And another Academy player projected to have the number 1 pick next year.

We have by fair the worse run and kicking HBF/Wings in the league, along with decision making. Much needed help required asap. I think Baker could help a lot with this.

The weird thing is with all this Simmo reflecting, one of the things that stood out was how high he was on this and the continuous training to improve it when he arrived. Now we only have Maric, Ryan, Long and I like Brockman kicking.
Surely not. Baker is shocking by foot which is one of the reasons I absolutely don’t want him.
1720829200562.jpeg

You’re spot on, along with TK, all snatched from our backyard.

However, not sure any of us on BF are confident these players would have received sufficient/adequate development at the Eagles.

Our drafting and development have been a huge let down looking back.

Look at some of Geelong’s better players last night:
  • Holmes, 21 (pick 20).
  • Humpries, 21 (pick 63).
  • Dempsey, 21 (pick 15 rookie draft).

Reminder, they won a flag two years ago.

Here we are, running around trying to cram as many 30 year old’s into a team as we can.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
You do realise that Geelong had 8 players 30 tears or older in yesterdays game
We will have two and another two players that are 29 in tomorrows game.
Ten to twelve teams have more players that are 30 years or older than us.
Our problem is The older players are still the better players in our team except those who have fell of the cliff in Gaff and Sheed.
we have recruited badly and there are very few good players in the 22-28 group which is a bigger worry.

I reckon we’ll justifiably bid on Lombard as you say he’s exactly what we need which is why I think we’re a decent chance to get those GCS 1R picks with our F1.

Watching 2nd half of the Pies Cats game.

Humphries has shown more in 3 games than Chesser in 3 years.

Another embarrassing miss. Geez...... :straining: :mad:

Awkward Star Trek GIF

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agreed. Does help with the players you have around you and Swans and Cats develop their players better then anyone.

TK everyone sort of knew about him pre draft and by all reports he was our next pick.

I’m not all over the Eagles NGA and how they run it but for Humphries to be in our NGA and I assume being around our scouts and development coaches and they couldn’t see the potential is worrying.
Concerning that he was in our NGA and we couldn't recognise his talent, yet we gave plenty of other WAFL reserves players a go based on raw potential.
I remember him being the face of the Naitanui Academy for a while before his draft year then everyone just forgot him.
Don't think he was discussed much here leading to the 2021 draft (or later) either.
So basically we all missed him, so perhaps good on Geelong for identifying him or he might still be running around the WAFL this year.

Last edited:
I think lately (whilst desirable) our focus has shifted too far from footballers to athletes. Humphries went at 95% disposal efficiency off a HBF, we could only dream of those numbers. I know this might come as a left field suggestion but kicking is a pretty important attribute in footy.

I remember Humphries being touted as the next big thing for us from our NGA lads at one point, by someone in the club, a player whose name escapes me, then it all went quiet.

I wonder if we are beginning to regret the Yeo extension now. At the time I thought it was completely the wrong direction ...

If we let it play out and he really got a 1mill offer from Adelaide, we could have 2x Top 5 picks now.

Another case of the Eagles holding onto players too long. Love Yeo, but doesn't do anyone any favours having him run around with a ticking time bomb....

We were never getting band 1 compo for Yeo, the AFL take age and contract length into account as well.

It's hard to believe that Humphries wasn't even a mainstay in the league team. Bloke has showed more confidence and promise in a handful of games then Chesser has in his entire career.

Maybe a new coach can utilise Chess better, but fu*ken hell, life would have been so much easier if our recruiting team actually gave a shit.
I don’t think they don’t give a shit, I just think they’re the worst in the comp. Not through lack of trying, just being completely incompetent.

Imo Start trading out 25-26 yo AA squad members (OA 2023 and probably Waterman 2024) you are running the real risk of being even worse and not keeping some of these young Vics we are bringing over. Need a reset but need light at the end of the tunnel.

The smaller boys can make rapid growth steps over another pre-season with a proper game plan and accountability. Hewett and Ginbey hopefully get that 3rd year boost. HR goes another level or 2. Chesser does a Pou (yes it’s only one game but the belief is a big thing) FOS/Smillie fit straight and all the other boys 20-24 yo progressing.

Replacing Key forwards is not so easy.

We should 100% look at trading ONE of TB or Waterman.

Trading out multiple top end talent no, that would be detremental. But one is fine IMO.

Find out the one who is interested in moving and do it.

Waterman we can cover with all the young talls that we need to develop, Darling can provide a mature body for another 12 months along with Oscar as the #1. J Williams, Maric and A Reid need gametime.

And with the draft capital we bring in more talent in areas we are weak. Midfield quality and depth.

TB at 29 turning 30 is the one. He wants a longer term contrqct and more dollars. Dogs are super keen and likely has picks and players we are interested in.

Oscar, the ONLY way is if he has been told his time in the game is limited due to an injury. Which is a total hypothetical. He is our captain and #1 forward. He is 100% committed so 99.99% chance he stays long term as I hope he does.

Last edited:
It's hard to believe that Humphries wasn't even a mainstay in the league team. Bloke has showed more confidence and promise in a handful of games then Chesser has in his entire career.

Maybe a new coach can utilise Chess better, but fu*ken hell, life would have been so much easier if our recruiting team actually gave a shit.

Im hoping the plan for Chesser is go back to the WAFL. Play on ball and start hunting it. Use your pace, size and skills and learn to rack it up. Leave him in there for a month and then if his form warrants it bring him back in for the last couple of games and play him on ball.

Get him involved not running defensive paterns up and down the dead wing. Set him free like we have with Harley and see how he goes.

Then double down this offseason. Train with the inside mids and learn and practice the clearance game.

Trading out multiple top end talent no, that would be detremental. But one is fine IMO.

Waterman we can cover with all the young talls that we need to develop, Darling can provide a mature body for another 12 months along with Oscar as the #1. J Williams, Maric and A Reid need gametime.

And with the draft capital we bring in more talent in areas we are weak. Midfield quakity and depth.

TB at 29 turning 30 is the one. He wants a longer term contrqct and more dollars. Dogs are super keen and likely has picks and players we are interested in.

Oscar, the ONLY way is if he has been told his time in the game is limited due to an injury. Which is a total hypothetical. He is our captain and #1 forward. He is 100% committed so 99.99% chance he stays long term as I hope he does.
Have seen this a few times but TB is 28 and isn’t 29 until October, perhaps why some of the suggested trades have undervalued him IMO.

If Melbourne are desperate for a tall forward then Waterman is a good fit and they have cap space to pay him well, but they’ll also have to pay us well.

I’d have no qualms trading both for the right price but as contracted players that price is going to be very high.

And with the draft capital we bring in more talent in areas we are weak. Midfield quality and depth.

Agreed someone has to go. If you are weighing up between those 2 it’s clearly TB imo, No question. Getting towards the last chance to trade him for 1st rounders +. This would be my Preferred option to happen if TB agrees. Has the reported interest and teams will to offer decent trades. He’s 30 next year and HEdwards and Bazzo should be ready to go next year. See how Edwards goes for the rest of the year.

Waterman can walk next year for possibly pick 2 if you wanted to go down that route. RFA makes it so teams have to offer overs for the threat of matching. Unless he really drops away but I liked his forum before getting ill in 2023.

Post in thread 'Contracts, trades, draft - 2021 offseason edition' https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/thre...-2021-offseason-edition.1287462/post-72399747

Three links above on my comments on Lawson Humphries... It's embarrassing we didn't cat b him as from memory we didn't have any at the time.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

Back