List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

What should we do with our 1st round draft pick?

• Finn O’Sullivan

Votes: 51 21.7%
  • Sid Draper

Votes: 51 21.7%
  • Josh Smillie

Votes: 16 6.8%
  • Jagga Smith

Votes: 23 9.8%
  • Split for best mid and Tobie Travaglia

Votes: 50 21.3%
  • Split for best mid and Liam Baker

Votes: 19 8.1%
  • Split for best mid and best KPD

Votes: 3 1.3%
  • Split for best two mids

Votes: 8 3.4%
  • Other

Votes: 10 4.3%
  • Sam Lalor

Votes: 4 1.7%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

Last edited:
Watching 2nd half of the Pies Cats game.

Humphrey has shown more in 3 games than Chesser in 3 years.

Another embarrassing miss. Geez...... :straining: :mad:

Awkward Star Trek GIF
Bookmark it. Chesser to be the one to benefit the most from a new coach

Simmo had a love affair for Chesser and the defensive winger

Schofield wants him on ball and playing there today for the Beagles to build confidence

I think lately (whilst desirable) our focus has shifted too far from footballers to athletes. Humphries went at 95% disposal efficiency off a HBF, we could only dream of those numbers. I know this might come as a left field suggestion but kicking is a pretty important attribute in footy.
A semi agree. An elite sportsman has to have football and athletic atributes. That many players don't is testimony to the level of a domestic comp that the AFL is. Perhaps a dozen truly elite players across the code?

Have seen this a few times but TB is 28 and isn’t 29 until October, perhaps why some of the suggested trades have undervalued him IMO.

If Melbourne are desperate for a tall forward then Waterman is a good fit and they have cap space to pay him well, but they’ll also have to pay us well.

I’d have no qualms trading both for the right price but as contracted players that price is going to be very high.
Rivers and their first.

Not handing them Waterman and a chance of the flag for it to be pick 26+ in a real draft.

You’re spot on, along with TK, all snatched from our backyard.

However, not sure any of us on BF are confident these players would have received sufficient/adequate development at the Eagles.

Our drafting and development have been a huge let down looking back.

Look at some of Geelong’s better players last night:
  • Holmes, 21 (pick 20).
  • Humpries, 21 (pick 63).
  • Dempsey, 21 (pick 15 rookie draft).

Reminder, they won a flag two years ago.

Here we are, running around trying to cram as many 30 year old’s into a team as we can.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
They have no midfield atm apart from Dangerfield, yet they are still managing to win games.
A few younger players learning to play there - Holmes, Bowes, Clarke, Bruyn (when fit), Dempsey (on a wing).
We are just not turning over the troops unless they are obvious talents like Harley.
Chesser got a free ride for some reason.
For some reason Simpson just wasn’t building a new team.

Last edited:
It's the style of play too.

Watch Geelong, they're slick, they all get involved.

Most teams have periods where mids all look good.

We have had a few mins in a season.

Hope whoever is new coach can create a new game plan

Sent from my SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Rivers and their first.

Not handing them Waterman and a chance of the flag for it to be pick 26+ in a real draft.

Pretty sure Rivers is besties with Jackson so if he moved it would be to Freo.

Dees 1st and Tholstrup? Depending on the 1st.

Maybe some future swaps that even things out.

You do realise that Geelong had 8 players 30 tears or older in yesterdays game
We will have two and another two players that are 29 in tomorrows game.
Ten to twelve teams have more players that are 30 years or older than us.
Our problem is The older players are still the better players in our team except those who have fell of the cliff in Gaff and Sheed.
we have recruited badly and there are very few good players in the 22-28 group which is a bigger worry.
Apologies, I was being a little facetious due to on-going frustrations from the topic.

You are right, Geelong do have more 30+ players, but it doesn't sit well with me (and plenty of others) that we have been declining in our performance as our average age increases:
RD17 - 6th oldest
RD16 - 5th oldest
RD15 - 4th oldest
RD13 - 7th oldest
RD12 - 9th oldest
RD11 - 9th oldest
RD10 - 12th oldest (We beat Melbourne)

Despite Simmo constantly noting the energy and enthusiasm that the kids bring to the team when they are picked.

Hopefully we see a shift in our average age these last few weeks.

The selected team for this weekend certainly indicates we are heading in a desired direction.

Last edited:
Will be very hard trying to get those picks out of GC when I think Richmond will want them from rioli and might be in eagles best case to keep pick 2/3 if we can land FOS

Don't wanna lose barass but 9 and f1 we'd have to really consider. If we could keep the f2 and get 9 + wb f1 absolutely

If we want more picks I'd rather float duggan than Waterman he shits me with his flour bag kicks but understand we could prob get r1 + one of mcvee or rivers from melb with Waterman
I'd take 9 and F1 from Melbourne. I can see dees dropping next year. I recon their window has closed and the decline has begun. Petracca will never be the same player, Oliver same, gawn getting old and they have no back up. If they're not careful they could fall rapidly. Next year's F1 could be pick 5-8

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

The only players I’d consider untradeable are Allen and Harley

Everyone else is tradeable for the right price.

Some are tradeable for any price
Playing Devils advocate. North want to do something silly to get Reid.

NM offer
R1+F1+ Wardlaw + Comben + Hardeman

for

Harley Reid + 59+ 77 + Petch + Cole

Would you do it?

Getting Comben would also help TB to Bulldogs too. should be wish.

Stupid I know, I just want to know where your Reid fulcrum point is.

Playing Devils advocate. North want to do something silly to get Reid.

NM offer
R1+F1+ Wardlaw + Comben + Hardeman

for

Harley Reid + 59+ 77 + Petch + Cole

Would you do it?

Getting Comben would also help TB to Bulldogs too. should be wish.

Stupid I know, I just want to know where your Reid fulcrum point is.
We would do that. Roos no chance.

Richmond is probably the likely hypothetical Harley trade now, if you wanted to do one.

Pretty sure Rivers is besties with Jackson so if he moved it would be to Freo.

Dees 1st and Tholstrup? Depending on the 1st.

Maybe some future swaps that even things out.
The $$, trade and position is what we have. He wants to pay Mid. Ain’t doing that at Freo imo. Not sure Freo chew up their salary cap unless it’s Warner or Bolton either. (Plus could always do 3 way trade)

A semi agree. An elite sportsman has to have football and athletic atributes. That many players don't is testimony to the level of a domestic comp that the AFL is. Perhaps a dozen truly elite players across the code?
A better way of looking at it is to say that we’ve undervalued kicking efficiency in our drafting decisions, Archie Roberts is a good example. Doe a lot of these kids being good at both football and athletics goes hand in hand. But it’s also easier to teach an athlete to play football than teach a footballer to be an athlete.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

But it’s also easier to teach an athlete to play football than teach a footballer to be an athlete.

Pretty sure its the other way round.

A thread all on its own that discussion.

IMO football IQ is more important than just top end athletic traits. Sure you cant be slow but being the fastest bloke out there who can run all day means nothing if you lack skills and football awarness.

Who is the better player our Hunt or a Jake Stinger?

Last edited:
Geelong have a great football department.
Their team is a mix of young and old. Developing Guys like Holmes, Dempsey, Clark, Humphries while pushing Top 4... much respect to them. How it should be done.
I have a feeling they have a culture of high performance only, and getting along and being apart of the boys club is second. Where as we have it the other way around

Pies were supposedly interested in Barrass and judging from last night’s loss, Tom as Full Back with Moore to CHB would make them a real threat.

Apart from F1 from the Pies, what else? I’m thinking Freo would give up one of their R3 picks for Ben Allan and we could get Pies F1 and say 15. I’d pay a some of TB’s salary for that.

🥧 in: a cheap Tom out: F1 and Allan
⚓️ in Allan out 15
🦅 in 15 and F1 out Tom

Holding a F1 allows us the ammunition to see what we would get for our F1. If not valued high, just take both R1 picks into 2025 draft. Could on sell Pies F1 as well but market value would be very late teens

A better way of looking at it is to say that we’ve undervalued kicking efficiency in our drafting decisions, Archie Roberts is a good example. Doe a lot of these kids being good at both football and athletics goes hand in hand. But it’s also easier to teach an athlete to play football than teach a footballer to be an athlete.
I think a lot of footy is hardwired and not really taught - particularly as an adult. Athletic ability is genetic.
Recruit players with both.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

Back