List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

What should we do with our 1st round draft pick?

• Finn O’Sullivan

Votes: 53 21.2%
  • Sid Draper

Votes: 60 24.0%
  • Josh Smillie

Votes: 18 7.2%
  • Jagga Smith

Votes: 23 9.2%
  • Split for best mid and Tobie Travaglia

Votes: 50 20.0%
  • Split for best mid and Liam Baker

Votes: 20 8.0%
  • Split for best mid and best KPD

Votes: 3 1.2%
  • Split for best two mids

Votes: 7 2.8%
  • Other

Votes: 10 4.0%
  • Sam Lalor

Votes: 6 2.4%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

Last edited:
Whoo there.

The AFL said no to any priority assistance if Simpson remained as coach?

Id like AFL House to explain that stance. So now they are dictating who stays as coach at a club they dont own?

That doesnt sound professional in any way. It sounds down right dirty politics or something.
I suppose the club needs to look actively proactive in doing everything it can for the AFL to justify?

I suppose the club needs to look actively proactive in doing everything it can for the AFL to justify?

Possibly. But it should not be a factor should it?

Why should retaining a experienced coach through a rebuild make any club ineligible for assistance?

Just on Davis, he is rated a little higher by some than people think. A lot will come down to his combine testing. If he shows decent speed and agility (not spectacular) because he is nowhere near as quick as Windsor (I also agree similarly to the Embley comparison) depending on club he could be an early second round pick. Tall hard running wingmen who are good overhead and have good skills are very much in demand. If he shows higher than expected speed, agility and leap then he is a smokey to be significantly earlier.

Just on the top end again I really don't think people are giving Sid Draper enough love. He is only just getting back to being close to fully fit. The player he reminds me of most is actually a young Jack Viney. Now in a draft that is very even, even at the top end I would have no issue with the club using a top 3 pick on him. He is tough, runs hard both ways, is great at getting the ball on the inside and is quite elusive. His ball handling is very, very good and he is a very good kick. His only potential weaknesses are his size (but if he's surrounded by bigger mids i see no issue) and his kicking whilst it is very good it doesn't have great depth. He is more your kick 50 metres on the run as opposed to say O'Sullivan who can kick 55+ off a step.

O'Sullivan is the higher level talent but Draper has a much higher floor. I would like people to think about the 2022 draft here and someone like Jhye Clark. Draper is a significantly better junior than Clark, is definitely faster and is more agile. The WCE if they didn't split picks were willing to spend pick 2 on Clark. Knowing Duane well I think Draper will very much be a favourite of his. He also shows great leadership and performs well even in shit teams.

I guess we'll see in the coming weeks whether a change of coach makes a difference and in a lot of ways it always does as a lot of players are playing for their career. The club only needs to win 1 more game to finish 16th. Richmond seem most likely for the spoon, have injuries and look to have put the cue in the rack, North have a terrible % so would have to win an extra game than us.

I however don't want people to get pissy if the club does draft Draper and don't see him running around in the midfield early next year. At his size and weight he will need a couple of preseasons before he is ready or we will wreck his body.

Now I have been told that the WCE have asked about priority assistance (not submitted an application or anything publicly) and were told 100% no if Simpson is the coach. So while the club won't publicly act like beggars like North and put it out in the media there is already talk there.

Whomever is to be coach will likely want to bring certain assistants and a large part of the reason the club has gone early on Simpson as opposed to end of year like the past is you have to go early enough to be able to secure not only the senior coach of choice but also to get assistant coaches. I expect at least 50% of the coaching and development staff to be turned over. Preliminary discussions have already been held with a few candidates.

I worry for the club as I don't rate our list manager at all. There is nothing personal about it but it could be an issue, he wasn't my first choice and wasn't Pyke's first choice either. Gavin Bell whilst highly rated internally and by pretty much everyone who has dealt with him, in particular players and ex staff is a very likely casualty as football manager.
Thanks for the write-up mate. It's really appreciated to be able gain some insight.

Given carte blanche, who are the people you'd like to bring in, not only as list manager but also to help with our pretty poor player development and your preferred senior coach and assistant choices? (Lets say you can stretch the soft cap a bit - Club is willing to pay some tax to fix it)

On top of this, I'd like your thoughts on Harvey Langford and Murphy Reid? (Two of my favs this year)

Possibly. But it should not be a factor should it?

Why should retaining a experienced coach through a rebuild make any club ineligible for assistance?
Again, it has to look to be proactive. Most would agree that keeping Simmo in our situation probably isn't.

It was time. we knew it, the AFL knew it. Hell, my 8yr old knew it.

Just on the top end again I really don't think people are giving Sid Draper enough love. He is only just getting back to being close to fully fit. The player he reminds me of most is actually a young Jack Viney. Now in a draft that is very even, even at the top end I would have no issue with the club using a top 3 pick on him. He is tough, runs hard both ways, is great at getting the ball on the inside and is quite elusive. His ball handling is very, very good and he is a very good kick. His only potential weaknesses are his size (but if he's surrounded by bigger mids i see no issue) and his kicking whilst it is very good it doesn't have great depth. He is more your kick 50 metres on the run as opposed to say O'Sullivan who can kick 55+ off a step.

O'Sullivan is the higher level talent but Draper has a much higher floor. I would like people to think about the 2022 draft here and someone like Jhye Clark. Draper is a significantly better junior than Clark, is definitely faster and is more agile. The WCE if they didn't split picks were willing to spend pick 2 on Clark. Knowing Duane well I think Draper will very much be a favourite of his. He also shows great leadership and performs well even in shit teams.

Would be happy with Draper, didn't rack up the touches in the u18's but he impressed me the most out of the top mid prospects.

Would be happy with Draper, didn't rack up the touches in the u18's but he impressed me the most out of the top mid prospects.
I'd rather he get big numbers in the SANFL v men tbh.

the last 2 weeks he looks "up n about" running to good spots etc.

Ramping up to the draft

Reckon he'll go top 3 or 4.

Sent from my SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Thanks for the write-up mate. It's really appreciated to be able gain some insight.

Given carte blanche, who are the people you'd like to bring in, not only as list manager but also to help with our pretty poor player development and your preferred senior coach and assistant choices? (Lets say you can stretch the soft cap a bit - Club is willing to pay some tax to fix it)

On top of this, I'd like your thoughts on Harvey Langford and Murphy Reid? (Two of my favs this year)

I'd really like to give more information here but it's not something that is for the public arena (partciularly with our now contracted list manager) or for myself to tell. I will only say this as it was before he was appointed. Pyke wanted a shake up of the way the department ran in regards to list manager, head of recruiting and football manager and bring them together as one department (obviously not a single person) but was overruled by the board.

In regards to Langford and Reid, Murph to my eye is shaping towards the back half of the top 10 and Langford whilst putting in great performances I think will go lower on athletic ability.

I think the club finishes 16th. There are quite a few top 10 prospects I don't want the club to draft and I see a group of players that on a talent level are all very similar from 4-15 (not including academy prospects) So while I still have a preference of splitting that top pick it is fraught with danger if you don't get the players you are chasing.

The safest option is drafting Sid Draper (if he is available)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Langford looks like a black haired Jordan Dawson out there....all class

Feel for Travaglia there at the end. He was very impressive again today. Along with Xavier Lindsay in particular for Vic Country, who were both among the best

FOS a non factor all day was disappointing

Smilie and Ashcroft also quiet but had moments

Murphy Reid is super classy

Jagga Smith did some good things but I worry about his size and speed

Lalor did some nice things too. He's a beast. Wish he spent more time in the midfield

Kako is mercurial up forward

Harvey Langford also good

There's a lot of talent it seems so wouldn't be against splitting the pick this year

Just on Davis, he is rated a little higher by some than people think. A lot will come down to his combine testing. If he shows decent speed and agility (not spectacular) because he is nowhere near as quick as Windsor (I also agree similarly to the Embley comparison) depending on club he could be an early second round pick. Tall hard running wingmen who are good overhead and have good skills are very much in demand. If he shows higher than expected speed, agility and leap then he is a smokey to be significantly earlier.

I guess we'll see in the coming weeks whether a change of coach makes a difference and in a lot of ways it always does as a lot of players are playing for their career. The club only needs to win 1 more game to finish 16th. Richmond seem most likely for the spoon, have injuries and look to have put the cue in the rack, North have a terrible % so would have to win an extra game than us.

I however don't want people to get pissy if the club does draft Draper and don't see him running around in the midfield early next year. At his size and weight he will need a couple of preseasons before he is ready or we will wreck his body.

Now I have been told that the WCE have asked about priority assistance (not submitted an application or anything publicly) and were told 100% no if Simpson is the coach. So while the club won't publicly act like beggars like North and put it out in the media there is already talk there.

Whomever is to be coach will likely want to bring certain assistants and a large part of the reason the club has gone early on Simpson as opposed to end of year like the past is you have to go early enough to be able to secure not only the senior coach of choice but also to get assistant coaches. I expect at least 50% of the coaching and development staff to be turned over. Preliminary discussions have already been held with a few candidates.

I worry for the club as I don't rate our list manager at all. There is nothing personal about it but it could be an issue, he wasn't my first choice and wasn't Pyke's first choice either. Gavin Bell whilst highly rated internally and by pretty much everyone who has dealt with him, in particular players and ex staff is a very likely casualty as football manager.
Sid Draper will be a star.

As for footy department, is sounds like the board were wary of giving a brand new CEO carte blanche straight away (still echos of nizzy in their ears). Maybe Pyke has proven some points in the last 9 months the board might let him make some decisions.

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

Funny how a number 1 pick contender in FOS looked like the worst player on the ground

He was terrible and this was his time to shine. He would have to be absolutely outstanding till the end of season to be top 3 after that performance. I think his performance today may be a final strike by a lot of recruiting teams in regards to being a top draft pick.

I've said it before but I think at the next level he is a HB.

There really isn't a lot of difference talent wise in the top 15. You can see a lot of the weaknesses in certain players games as well as their strengths. There is a lot of midfield depth in this draft and quite a few players not playing in their preferred position for a lot of the game but a lot of the time it's under these circumstances that the kids who can show utility and perform in other roles really stand out.

The real question for recruiters and I hope they get some time there is can guys like Kako and Berry put in bigger games playing further up the ground. I'd really like to see if Berry can play further up the ground and still find the goals and bring his team mates into the play. I know Kako can do it and want to see it more post champs as well.

It really is a draft to have quite a few picks in the that 25-40 range and certainly some sliders who go on to have some very good careers with late draft picks. Going to be a lot of very good players out of this draft.

Could be misremembering but weren't you initially reasonably optimistic/satisfied with the Clarke list manager appointment?

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

Back