List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

What should we do with our 1st round draft pick?

• Finn O’Sullivan

Votes: 54 21.1%
  • Sid Draper

Votes: 62 24.2%
  • Josh Smillie

Votes: 18 7.0%
  • Jagga Smith

Votes: 23 9.0%
  • Split for best mid and Tobie Travaglia

Votes: 50 19.5%
  • Split for best mid and Liam Baker

Votes: 20 7.8%
  • Split for best mid and best KPD

Votes: 4 1.6%
  • Split for best two mids

Votes: 8 3.1%
  • Other

Votes: 11 4.3%
  • Sam Lalor

Votes: 6 2.3%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

Last edited:
Alex Davies looks like exactly what we need, someone who can have their head in the trough and can spread well. Much worse on our list. Immediately would help our clearance work.

Why would afl tell west coast that no priority assistance is Simpson is coach? What would they know about Simpson to target him personally? Seems odd.

Same with board blocking pyke. Now, I would be interested in nuances around that. Blocked as in “take a year to take a look at how it’s working now” vs “no, the board knows better than CEO who is responsible”. Doubt it’s latter.

I can see board blocking too many changes that are proposed too quickly.

This is an issue with modern football. Davies went in side on, protected himself and got as low as possible to try and win the ball out of the contest as safely as possible.

To me that is just a football incident but people are right, he'll likely be suspended for weeks. 30 years ago a player never would have gone for the ball like that as they knew they would have been destroyed in a collision yet the AFL and their protection of the head has led to players (most midfielders) going in for the ball this way and leaving themselves open to being cleaned up. The same thing is happening with tackles now where the player rather than protecting themselves is opting to try and dispose of the ball or have someone land in their back rather than protecting themselves.

The AFL and development pathways if they really want to tackle the concussion issue head on is to get juniors from the very start and all the way up to AFL level attacking contests in a manner where they are protecting their head and body. So many guys diving forwards, dropping down, leading with the head it is only a matter of time before some AFL player genuinely has their neck broken.

The aim when winning the ball or trying to win the ball from the contest was actually to get your leading shoulder and side at or just past the ball at point of pickup so your head was already protected. So whether you're the guy who's there first or second both players are going as hard as possible but as safely as possible to win the ball. You only went the tackle if the guy clearly has the ball and you didn't think you could win it.

Why would afl tell west coast that no priority assistance is Simpson is coach? What would they know about Simpson to target him personally? Seems odd.

Same with board blocking pyke. Now, I would be interested in nuances around that. Blocked as in “take a year to take a look at how it’s working now” vs “no, the board knows better than CEO who is responsible”. Doubt it’s latter.

I can see board blocking too many changes that are proposed too quickly.

The first comes down to optics from the AFL's perspective and they are all about how things look. If a club isn't willing to change their head coach after continually terrible results then they don't want to be seen to be providing assistance to / promoting that. It is not Simpson specifically but the look for any club to have the results we have had since the bye in 2021 till now and not sack the coach. No matter who the coach or team is.

The second I will give a slightly more nuanced answer. What Pyke wanted was a slightly different setup in that area to any other club in the league and yes, it is more about too many changes too quickly, particularly when at least one of the people in their roles as well as the senior coach was heavily against it.

I'm sorry I really can't give any more information on this as this has already been much more than has been said in the media or by the club.

Watched the game couple of points:
  • Underrated Smillie a bit in terms of his ability to win hard ball. I was happy he picked up the ball and could stand up in tackles. A man child in some respect. Didn't show burst. I have him above slightly about Jagga but a tier below the rest top 3
  • Jagga showed some things like evasive but not enough for my concerns a tiny step behind Smillie.
  • FOS dissaponting. I no longer want us to draft him. We want FOS because of accumation and ball use. If he has no accumulation ability then his ball use by itself is not enough to justify pick 1. I see his ball use no better then Moras or others.
  • Larlor showed promise. Only concern is he is a slow burn. He is more FWD then MID. But he has skill to justify he's a top 3 pick for us. At worst he will be Dusty pre mid or Heeney. An elite FWD who will hopefully slow burn to Mid (or not)
  • Tobie is a star and will be a star. He's can be a better version of Brad Shepp or Hough.

-Moras/Murphy showed promise but nothing to justify a split for.

To sum up
  • Draper is by far my favourite pick and in my eyes ahead of FOS. Pick 1 material. FOS without his ability to accumulate means he is no better then Larlor/Moras. I concede he has a long layoff but we cannot risk drafting FOS without his accumulation abilities.
  • *Let me be clear if we split its for Tobie and not Tobie + Mid. What that means is Murphy + Tobie is really just Tobie + a B grade talent mid. We can't afford to do that given we need A grade mids. For any other team I would split for Tobie but not us.

Ranking:
1. Draper
(Tiny gap)
2. FOS/Lalor
(Big gap)
3. Smillie
4. Jagga/Tobie

*Happy to split if we get Tobie + any of the above ranking. If not forget about it.

Last edited:
What would be chefs kiss split will be is:

Tobie + Sam Lalor. Both elite in primary position but with the hopes they will slow burn into other positions. Short term pain for us since they are not guaranteed mids but long term they will be all Australians in their primary position.

But that's split has 0 percentage of that happening since I cant see Lalor not being picked that early.

What is his draft range?

Happy to have Hall, but our third rounder traded out this year is looking a bit problematic given the depth of talent being talked about in this years draft.

I have a mid to late second round grade on Hamish Davis, but I am in a minority, as I rate him higher than most.

Had we kept our third rounder I would have been cautiously optimistic that he may have been available, with that pick.

With out any draft pick changes and if things stay as they are currently are, I dont see us being in a position to draft him, that said given our needs I wouldn't be unhappy if we took him with our second pick.

If, however we split our first rounder, ( now pick # 3 ), for two other picks that we used before our second rounder I wouldn't hesitate to use our second rounder on him, obviously that is dependant on just who we took with the two hypothetical earlier picks.

I think that we should be trying really hard, too somehow acquire, a third rounder this year, as I have seen a few tall's that I think will present as really good value in the third round.

As happens every year, the tall's make a late charge into calculations the longer a season unfolds.
There is a kid ( a tall ) playing Colts this year, that I would have taken as a rookie last year thats impressing me again this season and I hope our recruiters think likewise.

I am really liking this years draft depth.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If rothams walks we would get like a 3rd rounder for him or we will acquire one in a trade

That requires someone signing Rotham as a FA on sufficient money/contract length to trigger band 5 compensation which is no certainty. Be a nice bonus if it happens

Clubs may prefer to simply wait to sign him as a DFA

Really like Draper after his last two weeks at SANFL level. He's like a mini Dangerfield. His athleticism is off the charts and he plays like he's had a million coffee's pre-game, absolutely full of energy
We've really got no one like that apart from maybe yeo and Harley for 5mins a qtr

Sent from my SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Waterman out for Draper and we also take FOS is the big trade and draft period we need.

Take Curtin II next season and wait for his older bro to come home.

We simply have too many tall forwards. Unless we are happy to watch land of the giants up forward and the ball coming out of our forward line with ease something needs to give. Some of these young tall forwards will leave for opportunities elsewhere and for success unless we balance the list.

Some saying these thoughtsare crazy. But its crazy to retain 10 tall forwards even if some can pinch hit in the ruck. Our list is unbalanced and we dessperately need quality in the midfield. And we have been selecting an unbalanced team that is too tall up forward.

Its crazy if you cant see that.
I'm with you.Allan, Jwilliams or Acher Reid/Jack darling is enough for tall forwards.
The one area we can afford to trade somebody is our tall forwards.
If Waterman wants a better deal and somebody is willing to offer a fair pick you have to consider it.

Riley Garcia 33ds 2g and 15 tackles in the VFL today.

Jack Carroll had another decent day too.

Parfitt pretty good yesterday.

Would be happy with any or all three of these players on the cheap.

Would improve our midfield depth overnight. It would add instant presure at selection and also improve our WAFL performance and player development.

This is an issue with modern football. Davies went in side on, protected himself and got as low as possible to try and win the ball out of the contest as safely as possible.

To me that is just a football incident but people are right, he'll likely be suspended for weeks. 30 years ago a player never would have gone for the ball like that as they knew they would have been destroyed in a collision yet the AFL and their protection of the head has led to players (most midfielders) going in for the ball this way and leaving themselves open to being cleaned up. The same thing is happening with tackles now where the player rather than protecting themselves is opting to try and dispose of the ball or have someone land in their back rather than protecting themselves.

The AFL and development pathways if they really want to tackle the concussion issue head on is to get juniors from the very start and all the way up to AFL level attacking contests in a manner where they are protecting their head and body. So many guys diving forwards, dropping down, leading with the head it is only a matter of time before some AFL player genuinely has their neck broken.

The aim when winning the ball or trying to win the ball from the contest was actually to get your leading shoulder and side at or just past the ball at point of pickup so your head was already protected. So whether you're the guy who's there first or second both players are going as hard as possible but as safely as possible to win the ball. You only went the tackle if the guy clearly has the ball and you didn't think you could win it.

If only the morons at AFL house could understand this.

You can't sanction these incidents out of the game, you need to coach it.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

Back