List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

• List Manager Matt Clarke appeared on Gettable - Click spoiler below for summary
    On the draft: "We predicted that the draft was strong, but it's probably gotten stronger during the year."

On top end of draft: "You could probably make five or six different choices and get it right."

On Pick 3: "I reckon there's five (players) around that mark."

On splitting: "I think you want to hold an early selection if you can. The depth of this group allows you to maybe have some movement there, and see what you can do to bring in more talent in the first 20-25 picks. Easier said than done, and I think most clubs would be saying the same thing. We'll see what we can do."

On Liam Baker: "He's still yet to make a decision. They're still weighing up a few things. We'd love to get Liam on board from what he offers from a talent and leadership point of view. We understand where we're at as a group, we're rebuilding our group, we need to add some guys in the middle tier to support our young group."

On Jack Graham: "We've got a number of players that we're speaking to. A bit of a wait and see on that one as well. We'll talk to a number of guys."

On Shai Bolton: "I think it will be difficult for anybody, really. He's heavily contracted and a high quality player."

On James Peatling: "He's heavily involved in a finals series at the moment so I don't want to comment too much on it, but I think there's a number of guys that have been playing really good footy this year that could suit what we do and what other clubs do. He's taken his footy to another level this year."

On Tom Barrass: "We've had an early discussion with Hawthorn about it, they understand where we're at. He's nominated Hawthorn as his ideal destination. We want what we think he's worth, as a genuine key back in the competition that can do what he can do. We're obviously mindful of getting an appropriate deal for West Coast."

On Tom Clurey: "Maybe (note: sounded very non enthused). We'd probably need some key back depth, whether that's through the draft or trade and free agency."

On Jack Darling: "We've had initial discussions with his management group about (moving). We're open to talking, as we are with all of our players, but Jack's contracted with us."

On Liam Ryan: "I expect him to be at West Coast next year, yes." (The most definitive answer of the day by a mile, a non-starter of a talking point.)

On out of contact players e.g. Rotham, Witherden, Jones: "We're still working through what it looks like from a list point of view, and how many selections we'll want to have, and players that may come in and potentially may go out. You might want to give a coach an opportunity to look at these guys."

On Harley Reid: "We've had discussions most of the year with his management group. I think it sits in a really good place. We're open to doing really whatever they want to do to be honest. We're really confident in building the right system around Harley, on and off field, to make sure that he's really comfortable, that he's going to play his best footy, and his long term future."

On Jake Waterman's new deal: "Yep, really close. We're working really closely with his management on that. I expect that we'll have something done pretty soon."

On Oscar Allen: "We've been talking with Oscar and his manager most of the year on that one. We're going through some stuff at the moment. I think we'll be ok with that one."

Last edited by a moderator:
Great news with darling gone won’t believe it until it actually gets done tho, really hope he can play some good footy over there and gets a big cheer when he comes back and plays at Optus.

Would rather Jack leading the WAFL than taking Pick 64, but we can’t stand in his way of extra years and he certainly isn’t in line for much KPF action at AFL level.

Love your work Jack. A star, a club legend, 298 games and a third quarter that almost single handedly dragged us over the line in the 2018 GF. Go well.

Pick will come in a bit with bid matching, hopefully helps us land Champion.

Trade pick 64 for a pick next year when we'll need the picks & points for Walley, Evans and Banfield.

I hope WC has relinquished its registered charity status this trade period. JD leaves with our blessing but thats all - we owe him nothing and need to extract the best return.

We're less a charity and more a philanthropic organisation. North and Geelong are the charity cases.

Last edited:
So am I right in saying that Pick 59 (158 points) and Pick 64 (101 points) are enough to match anything from 51 onwards?

Or is there a better way of using the picks to match a Champion bid, carryover deficits and all that wank.

And assume they’ll both come in once other clubs match early bids.

I think Draper is what we need but pick three seems to high based upon mock boards. What are peoples thoughts on 3 & 13 for 6, 9 & 21 from Richmond?
In the two released today he’s at no. 2 on espn and no. 8 with twomey.

If we are set on someone from that first group we should take them at 3, no guarantee they’ll be there at 6 or wherever

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Might sound trivial but I’m very keen to make that pick 58 and not 64. That will give us consecutive picks at 58 and 59 which is great from a list balance perspective. Hopefully we can find a way to get another pick between 40 and then to match a Champion bid.
Meh. There’s a good chance that 60, 61, 62 aren’t used due to being eaten up on father son picks and in case of Melbourne, having already taken enough draft picks.

Baker is not good enough to still be umming and ahhhhhinh about where to go. Seasons been over for weeks mate, pick a team.

My guess is that he doesnt mind and he's waiting to see which club can effectively show they will get a deal done, so he doesnt get stuck in no mans land. Or his slight preference is Freo but they are figuring out how to get Bolton, so he's worried they wont be able to get the deal done so he's leaving his options open long as possible.

Bit annoying if true as it creates abit of a sillent auction, and your point still stands - he isnt good enough for these games.

Its Happening The Office GIF by NBC

STAY ****ING CALM CAMPAIGNERS!

So that's 3 off the main list and 2 off the rookies?
Is that right?

Gaff, Darling and JJ off the main.
Baker and Trew off the rookie list?

Or was Baker a Cat list?

I heard Clarke got rid delisted Eagles Baker coz he didn't want to to bring in Liam Baker due to the same surname. Word is he's been having trouble keeping track of the Reids and Williams's and another duplicate surname may have pushed him over the edge.

Trew, Jones, Baker delisted
Trew and Jones showed flashes but not nearly enough consistency and have massive holes in their games. Believe Baker was upgraded from Cat B last year (at thar point he looked better than Dewar) which probably sealed his fate unfortunately.

Hopefully not being named here means Culley is likely to be retained - deserves a look after a proper pre-season post-ACL.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back