List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Whose future picks would you have preferred?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links

Trade period
In: 12, F1, F2, F3, 73, Baker, Owies, Graham*
Out: 3, 63, F4, Barrass, Darling

*Free agent

Done deals

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm guessing Eagles are keen on Bo Allan and are confident he will slide to our pick.
Gosh this narrative is tedious. Either Travaglia, Lindsay, Tauru or Berry are better options and likely two of them will be available at pick 12. Heck Hotton is a much better option despite his season-ending injury.
Hopefully another team saves us from selected Allan.

It's a debacle. We are the queen's of cucks.

You do you and have your head stuck in the sand.

The rest of the country is based in reality

While I understand about feeling dudded during this Trade Period, I don't wanna be coming back here in two months and seeing the same shit from the last two days spewed around the place. I already know I'm gonna be seeing this crap after every game Pick 12 and Baker don't have a 25+ possession game next year.

In his interview on 6PR, Matt Clarke said decisions will be made on uncontracted players over the next 48 hours

After trade period, we have 42 players on the list - 36 main, 4 rookie and 2 cat B and as it stands 3 usable draft picks - 12,26 and 73

So at least one more player needs to be delisted, most likely Rotham

Leaves Culley, Burgiel, Witherden and Luke Edwards without contracts and waiting on the club deciding on how many list spots to keep open for additional selections via one or more of the following:

• Using a future pick(s) to trade back into this draft for additional selection(s). At a minimum we should add at least one more pick
• Using a very late draft pick or a pick in the rookie draft where we’ll have pick 3
• Adding a player as a DFA - Clarke indicated we will be looking at who is available
• Looking at train on player(s) for a SSP pick

My order of delisting would be
1) Edwards
2) Witherden
3) Culley
4) Burgiel

I kinda hope Culley and Burgiel survive but reality is we may well have better options

The elephant in the room is Sheed. He can’t be delisted this year due to salary cap issues but if his latest foot/ankle operation isn’t successful such that he won’t be ready to play R1 next year then we should get him to retire. Then replace him with a train on player - we’ll have until January to make that decision
I think we'll have four selections through the draft.
Pick 12, pick 26, Champion (perhaps Rookie) and we'll trade back in to the first round.
I think Edwards will be cut.

Gosh this narrative is tedious. Either Travaglia, Lindsay, Tauru or Berry are better options and likely two of them will be available at pick 12. Heck Hotton is a much better option despite his season-ending injury.
Hopefully another team saves us from selected Allan.

To be honest I don't know enough about players yet to comment on who I hope we get for 12 (pushed back to 15?), but I get the feeling that this pick was part of split for 3 where they could just play safe (we are a pretty conservative club) and go for the highest ranked WA player

While I understand about feeling dudded during this Trade Period, I don't wanna be coming back here in two months and seeing the same shit from the last two days spewed around the place. I already know I'm gonna be seeing this crap after every game Pick 12 and Baker don't have a 25+ possession game next year.

Or pick 3 (probably 4 on draft night) is ripping it up?

In his interview on 6PR, Matt Clarke said decisions will be made on uncontracted players over the next 48 hours

After trade period, we have 42 players on the list - 36 main, 4 rookie and 2 cat B and as it stands 3 usable draft picks - 12,26 and 73

So at least one more player needs to be delisted, most likely Rotham

Leaves Culley, Burgiel, Witherden and Luke Edwards without contracts and waiting on the club deciding on how many list spots to keep open for additional selections via one or more of the following:

• Using a future pick(s) to trade back into this draft for additional selection(s). At a minimum we should add at least one more pick
• Using a very late draft pick or a pick in the rookie draft where we’ll have pick 3
• Adding a player as a DFA - Clarke indicated we will be looking at who is available
• Looking at train on player(s) for a SSP pick

My order of delisting would be
1) Edwards
2) Witherden
3) Culley
4) Burgiel

I kinda hope Culley and Burgiel survive but reality is we may well have better options

The elephant in the room is Sheed. He can’t be delisted this year due to salary cap issues but if his latest foot/ankle operation isn’t successful such that he won’t be ready to play R1 next year then we should get him to retire. Then replace him with a train on player - we’ll have until January to make that decision
I like to describe myself as quite stable but might implode if Rothams name isn’t included in the list changes article.

I’ve been on the fence about Witho. I think 23 he was very handy but this year was quite shocking but also wouldn’t have been fussed if he stayed. Now with Baker acquisition it means he can run through there but also means duggan goes back to defence. So I think Witho should go to

To be honest I don't know enough abpit players yet to comment on who I hope we get for 12 (pushed back to 15?), but I get the feeling that this pick was part of split for 3 where they could just play safe (we are a pretty conservative club) and go for the highest rsnked WA player
Again, if Travaglia is there at 12 I will be ropeable if we overlook him for Allan.
He is a significantly better option than Allan.

The whole Forum has been whinging about the ball being transitioned out of the Eagles forward line without any pressure, and game's where the player's roll over.

The Eagle's have tried to bring in forward pressure..

Forward pressure with who? Owies??

You might want to look at his actual tackle numbers champion.

Old man Darling lays more tackles inside 50 than Owies, and more tackles in general as a 32yr old . If anything, we are now worse off pressure wise than at the start of the trade period.

I get the point you were probably trying to make, but that's an odd example. Baker himself on the other hand said he'll likely be playing in defense.

So forward pressure has hardly been solved at this point.

For those being all doom and gloom, look at it this way.

If we trade our future 1st for say Richmonds pick 10 (Richmond will be looking to spread out their draft haul over two years most likely), then on this year alone, we've effectively:

• Split pick 3 for picks 10 and 12
  • Traded Barrass for Baker and Owies

This is basically what was being floated before the trade period even started.

Two top 15 picks in a deep draft and a couple of solid senior players is a pretty good return in my eyes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can anyone confirm what the Hawks original offer for Barrass was? I initially thought it was 14 + F3, but then I heard somewhere that 14 was never on the table?

If we trade our future 1st for say Richmonds pick 10 (Richmond will be looking to spread out their draft haul over two years most likely), then on this year alone, we've effectively:

Two top 15 picks in a deep draft and a couple of solid senior players is a pretty good return in my eyes.
But in your scenario we've lost our future 1st which is far more valuable than Hawthorn's future 1st.

But we've lost our future 1st which is far more valuable than Hawthorn's future 1st.
Yes but gained an (albeit lower) future first and an extra future second and third rounder. And with the inclusion of two year future picks next year, there will be plenty of mechanisms to get up higher in the draft next year if we want.

Jaiden Hunter could be a KPD option, the board was pretty hot on him a few mid season drafts ago, delisted by essendon, coming off an ACL. You dont lose talent. could be a very good cheap option at 21 years old

More like hawthorn f1 for 18 or 20. Giving up our F1 is digging a deeper hole

Is it not then 2x pick 3s for 10, 12 & Baker in that scenario??
Not great... Terrible.

On SM-A336E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Monocle - well put. I posted the 2023 top 8 comparison to where I saw them landing and it pictorially makes your point.

The 2024 draft has a number of characteristics

To clarify things - I have excluded all F/S and Academy picks from both years. They are not really live picks but just points used to match bids.

1. The 2024 top end is OK but not stand out (each year all club supporters fall into the trap of loving the top 10 and thinking they are great. I see a number on our board have - Toby, FOS, Draper, etc). Most years the top ends have better top 5 than we have this year (and no stand outs like Walsh, Rowell, Rayner, McCluggage, Harley).

2. There is a very even group from 1 to 6 that are hard to separate in 2024. They in my listing would have all gone after Curtain but before Caddy.

3. Then there is another really even group from 7 to 19 that are very good and likely first rounders each year. In fact, for this group, I believe there are 13 players I would rate before Pheonix and Koltyn who were the 10 and 11th natural picks last year.

4. Not shown here but there will be good prospects available in the 3rd and 4th round this year which is why the full complement of 4th round picks is being tipped. In 2023, there were only 7 players drafted in the 4th round. I will go so far as predicting there will be clubs taking 5th and 6th round picks.

Reality
1. Excluding FA and academy, there were 22 taken in the first round last year. I have 32 players in the rankings for 2024 that I would take prior to DiMattia who was the real 19th pick in 2023. And that is how I define a deep draft.

Oh and the ranking for 2024 is a average of Twomey, HUN, my own and some other respected draft watchers.

View attachment 2145180

Now here is the kicker. I would happily trade our Hawks F1 and our own F2 for Tigers picks 20, 23 and 24 adding to our 26 for another sweet spot. That could land us 4 players I rate as late first rounder most years - 4 out of Oliver, Gross, Jacques, O'Farrell, Mraz, Barrat, Moraes and Ough.

If we walked away with Lindsay or Allan at 12, and 4 of these picks in the 20's, it would be a good draft and trade.

(PS Apologies if the spreadsheet is a bit complicated. Not compromised as I removed that, just lots going on)
The more I sit with our trade week (& read analysis like this) the more comfortable I am with where we landed.

• Our age profile issues have been addressed by bringing in 3 B22 AFL quality players (2 of which were best 22 in one of the most successful teams in the AFL era). ✅
  • We kept a first and second round pick in this draft & will bring in some well rated young talent ✅
  • We gained future assets which will help us either:
    • Get Warner in 2025
    • Get back into the 2024 first or second round, or
    • Grab a a significant draft haul in 2025 - which is supposedly stronger (but not as deep) ✅

It might just be copium, but it's working

More like hawthorn f1 for 18 or 20. Giving up our F1 is digging a deeper hole
I don't agree. With two more top 15 picks this year, we are going to have a stack load of players under the age of 22. Baker, Graham and Owies make us better next year instantly, so I'm optimistic we can finish somewhere in the 10 to 14 range on the ladder, and I'm not convinced Hawthorn will have linear improvement. With a stacked draft this year, I'd rather take a punt on getting another top 15 pick this year rather than keep our 1st rounder for next year.

Assuming we delist Rotham and add the minimum 3 players from the draft then this would be our age profile based on players age at 1/1/25

Includes Witherden(26), Edwards(22), Culley(21) and Burgiel(20)

IMG_5788.jpeg
And grouped into age brackets

IMG_5789.jpeg

Can see why we wanted to add the likes of Baker(26), Graham(26) and Owies(27) to our list.

We skew very young

Could do with a couple of extra players in that 22-25 bracket maybe via DFA and/or SSP

Last edited:
  • Our age profile issues have been addressed by bringing in 3 B22 AFL quality players (2 of which were best 22 in one of the most successful teams in the AFL era). ✅
Two of them are barely best 22.
And, TBH, I would rather see Long and Dewar get consistent games that Owies.
Let alone what this means for the future of Brockman.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Back