List Mgmt. Contract, Trade & Draftee Discussion - 2022 Off Season Edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Contract status of all players now fully updated

Last edited:
I hope we dont get Narkle. We dont need anymore trash from other teams. We have enough average players as it is
Most likely if he comes in, it’ll be as quite literally the last spot on our list - a DFA after the rookie draft has concluded

The other alternatives for that are the likes of West, Winder, Trew or some other DFA/late rookie pick

Much like Jones was and even on the harshest judgment he’s at least been handy for us

Most likely if he comes in, it’ll be as quite literally the last spot on our list - a DFA after the rookie draft has concluded

The other alternatives for that are the likes of West, Winder, Trew or some other DFA/late rookie pick

Much like Jones was and even on the harshest judgment he’s at least been handy for us
Was their any player you can say wow we took Petrevski Seton instead of him from last years draft, I dont recall any

Don't agree.

Every year all clubs should be looking to improve their list in any means possible.

If you can replace the two bottom rated players with solid role players that do not cost high draft picks then you look at it.

If you can improve your list by signing free agents or delisted free agents you do it.

Look at every premiership side. Not every player is a 1st or 2nd round draft pick.

If we replace Trew and Nelson with Hunt and Narkle and it costs us zero draft capital why wouldn't we do it?

If we use a later 2nd rounder pick 25+ to land a young rated fringe player of need like a Robertson you do it.
That's exactly pretty much what we are doing hence don't get the criticism directed at the club for doing nothing. What we see and already doing is pretty much all we will do this trade period.
I can't see us doing anything more or obtaining anyone else because there is nothing else out there. We are not going to be active this trade period but that isn't really a big deal for us this season compared to other years gone by as our drafting is more important for us. We have to get that right. I'd rather us select some good unknown mature rookies over trading for D grade delisted known players.

It's about finding the next D Cox, Q Lynch, McGovern, Priddis, Sinclair and so on.

There's other ways then trade period getting quality talent if the cabinet at the trade table is looking pretty average. Time for us to look at state level mature players to rookie

Last edited:
Don't agree.

Every year all clubs should be looking to improve their list in any means possible.

If you can replace the two bottom rated players with solid role players that do not cost high draft picks then you look at it.

If you can improve your list by signing free agents or delisted free agents you do it.

Look at every premiership side. Not every player is a 1st or 2nd round draft pick.

If we replace Trew and Nelson with Hunt and Narkle and it costs us zero draft capital why wouldn't we do it?

If we use a later 2nd rounder pick 25+ to land a young rated fringe player of need like a Robertson you do it.
This is 100% correct…

We had 1 top 10 pick in the last decade and in that time won the 2018 GF.

Just shows we won’t be staying at the bottom of the ladder, getting early draft pick for ever like some posters suggest!!

Was their any player you can say wow we took Petrevski Seton instead of him from last years draft, I dont recall any
No. Not yet at least

Even if SPS doesn’t improve next year and is delisted it was still worth a punt after trading a pick in the 50’s to bring him in

I’m still hopeful he’ll be better for us next year.

No. Not yet at least

Even if SPS doesn’t improve next year and is delisted it was still worth a punt after trading a pick in the 50’s to bring him in

Because I like this exercise, here are the number of players picked in the 50s who played 50 games from 2006 to 2015:

2006 - 3/10
2007 - 3/10
2008 - 2/10
2009 - 0/10
2010 - 3/10
2011 - 2/10
2012 - 2/10
2013 - 7/10
2014 - 4/10
2015 - 6/10

A strike rate of 32%. Trending upwards recently but still effectively a gamble that you even get a somewhat serviceable player out of a pick in the 50s.

Because I like this exercise, here are the number of players picked in the 50s who played 50 games from 2006 to 2015:

2006 - 3/10
2007 - 3/10
2008 - 2/10
2009 - 0/10
2010 - 3/10
2011 - 2/10
2012 - 2/10
2013 - 7/10
2014 - 4/10
2015 - 6/10

A strike rate of 32%. Trending upwards recently but still effectively a gamble that you even get a somewhat serviceable player out of a pick in the 50s.

GC and GWS existence would be a big factor behind the upwards trend in that strike rate - additional 90 players on AFL lists would make a big difference.

No. Not yet at least

SPS just needs to get fit and stay fit.

He was hobbling around on one good knee and couldnt do the work to get fit enough. Unfortunately this is sometimes the case for the majority of a players career.

I think people would be pleasantly surprised with SPS if he can get and stay fit.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2006 - 3/10
2007 - 3/10
2008 - 2/10
2009 - 0/10
2010 - 3/10
2011 - 2/10
2012 - 2/10
2013 - 7/10
2014 - 4/10
2015 - 6/10

And one of them was Jackson Nelson :cool:

I don't understand why people get so worked up about picks taken in the third round and later. No matter what you do (trade for an SPS or draft one of the players taken around him who aren't academy or father son picks): Jai Serong (Hawthorn), Hugh Jackson (Port), Dante Visentini (Port), Lachlan Rankin (Sydney), it's a massive gamble.

Rage at the first and second round calls, don't spent pages and pages flipping out over Hunt or Narkle, who don't even cos draft picks ffs.

If they get in the way of the developing youth, it's because our youth is arse and has been drafted with those exact same shitty third rounders (and later), not because a Greg Clark or a Connor West or a Luke Edwards don't have credits in the bank (lol).

SPS just needs to get fit and stay fit.

He was hobbling around on one good knee and couldnt do the work to get fit enough. Unfortunately this is sometimes the case for the majority of a players career.

I think people would be pleasantly surprised with SPS if he can get and stay fit.
Some players seem to be able to play with pain, some don't. I'd categorize SPS as the latter. Guys like Zorko can hobble around for 3 quarters and still play effectively.

I hope we dont get Narkle. We dont need anymore trash from other teams. We have enough average players as it is

Yes but some of our average players will hopefully be off the list soon, (Witherden, Winder, Trew, West) so the trash pile isnt getting any bigger, it's just changing somewhat.

I haven't got high hopes for Narkle either, but occasionally it does actually click with these speculative acquisitions and they improve in a new environment.

Worth the free swing. I mean struth, he'd only really be replacing Joyce, and that was arguably the most pointless decision the club has ever made, Short of Burrows/Gorter.

Have the AFL clarified whether the future picks they gave North to trade will come before or after North's actual picks next year?
I’m not sure but in every other instance that I can recall where there’s been a compensation/priority pick given to a club it’s been after their existing pick

Yes but some of our average players will hopefully be off the list soon, (Witherden, Winder, Trew, West) so the trash pile isnt getting any bigger, it's just changing somewhat.

I haven't got high hopes for Narkle either, but occasionally it does actually click with these speculative acquisitions and they improve in a new environment.

Worth the free swing. I mean struth, he'd only really be replacing Joyce, and that was arguably the most pointless decision the club has ever made, Short of Burrows/Gorter.
I’m hoping they keep Winder and Trew til the start of preseason and see what condition they come back in.

If either look like they’ve put in the hard yards this off season give them another year.

Both have the talent to make it for mine.

Nah Joyce was replacing one of our injured plebs so wasn't really on the list anyway.

Nah Joyce was replacing one of our injured plebs so wasn't really on the list anyway.

Such a weird pickup. If he took roids for the next 6 years he still wouldnt have been WAFL level. Why didn’t we pick someone up who could actually play?

Such a weird pickup. If he took roids for the next 6 years he still wouldnt have been WAFL level. Why didn’t we pick someone up who could actually play?
He can play when he isn’t injured. Unfortunately that is rarely.

Looked good in a couple of pre season games which won him the contract but was injured thereafter.

Last edited:
If Devon wants to stick out his contract at Brisbane that his prerogative, but don't come crying to us and use us a fall back plan when he isn't playing games at AFL level next year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back