List Mgmt. Contract, Trade & Draftee Discussion - 2022 Off Season Edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Contract status of all players now fully updated

Last edited:
Hmmmmm.

Is Jye Clark draft tampering here I wonder?

unknown.png

A tent would have been better IMO.

I’d be waiting until next year to grab that first from GC. We have a stacked hand next year & apparently they have 4 or 5 academy kids looking the good that will need to be matched with points so that first will be on the table.

Seems like a waste of pick 12 when we could bundle picks next year & grab that first anyway.
Take the opportunity if it presents this year I reckon.

If Gold Coast are bottom 6 next year (highly likely), it’ll cost a hell of a lot more than just pick 13 to take it off them.

I’m going to predict a pick swap with Gold Coast with their 1st next year for our pick 12 for Hollands.

Gold Coast OUT - 45, Future 1st IN - WC pick 12

WC OUT - 12 IN - 45, F1

Then we offer up 45 and Ports Future 2nd to Essendon for their pick 22

Head to the draft with 8, 20, 22, 26 and we’re fully loaded for next year

I'd try and keep 45 and just got Ports F2nd for Bombers 2022 22/24.

Then go with 8,20,22,26 and 45. 45 will end up as a late 30's pick.

Take the opportunity if it presents this year I reckon.

If Gold Coast are bottom 6 next year (highly likely), it’ll cost a hell of a lot more than just pick 13 to take it off them.

GC will want points for next year so I can’t see them trading that future first anyway as it’s a good pick to get those points they need for next year. I get your thinking I just don’t think GC would go for it. I also think GC might surprise a few next year on where they finish on the ladder.

I’m going to predict a pick swap with Gold Coast with their 1st next year for our pick 12 for Hollands.

Gold Coast OUT - 45, Future 1st IN - WC pick 12

WC OUT - 12 IN - 45, F1

Then we offer up 45 and Ports Future 2nd to Essendon for their pick 22

Head to the draft with 8, 20, 22, 26 and we’re fully loaded for next year
I haven’t followed the Suns closely have they got lost spots available?

THROUGH a draft year that is best described as cursed, WA defender Sam Gilbey emerged with a simple goal. Nine holes of golf.

Struck down by glandular fever through the first half of the year, then COVID during the NAB AFL Under-18 Championships, the resilient teenager was then prevented from playing out the season by a broken leg.

No U18 form?

Pie Man right now:

american pie this one time at band camp GIF by IFC

Mickey Ablett in the HUN today gives his 10 cents

Takeaways
1. Our split of 2 for 8 and 12 he called a master stroke
2. Ginbey, Clark or Hollands at 8 would be ideal
3. Busslinger could be an option but mentioned above as first priority
4. George with 20 is worthwhile

He links the following
5. Sydney with Allan and Barnett
6. Hewett ideal for Saints
7. MacKenzie with Hawks
8. Hotton with GWS late R1
9, Ginbey to Suns
10. Clark and Ginbey to Cats
11. Phillipou to Dons
12. Busslinger or Weddle to Pies
13. Humphrey to Blues if still there
As an aside I would very much like if we were after Mickey Ablett to replace O’Brien as either head recruiter or list manager.

Even if talk of O’Brien retiring is incorrect his role still needs to be split in any case so Ablett would still be a good acquisition

As an aside I would very much like if we were after Mickey Ablett to replace O’Brien as either head recruiter or list manager.

Even if talk of O’Brien retiring is incorrect his role still needs to be split in any case so Ablett would still be a good acquisition

Why does everyone hate ROB? Brander probably the only terrible call he’s made. I guess the jury is still out on Chesser.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why does everyone hate ROB? Brander probably the only terrible call he’s made. I guess the jury is still out on Chesser.

I wasn’t having a go at O’Brien.

There has been talk since early this year that he was retiring after this draft. Nothing from the club so I’m not sure if it’s correct

Even if he is staying on however, he’s currently wearing the dual hats of head recruiter and list manager. These roles are normally split between 2 people and this was the case prior to Darren Glass leaving as list manager.

Complicating things further he’s based in Victoria which again isn’t ideal for such a key role

As for O’Brien himself he does get unfairly criticised at times but he does have a track record over a long period of failing to identify and draft genuine midfielders. That’s partly due to a lack of top end draft picks but the reality is it’s been a long time since we’ve drafted one

Aside from that blind spot he’s been pretty good with the draft hands he’s been dealt noting that inevitably there will be some mistakes from time to time.

Will we have Dev Robertson on our list next year for a throwaway pick to Brisbane?

As far as I am concerned, pass

I get that Dev is meant to be a loyal person, but with Ashcroft, Dunkley and Jasper Fletcher coming in, he will be struggling to get a game next year in a team he was already struggling to get a game in

And rather then come to us and requesting a trade this off season where he has family links and the prospect of guaranteed game time in his home state, he is clearly trying to see if he can sneak in a premiership with Brisbane whilst simultaneously using us as his back up/career safety net

We shouldn't be his "in case of career failure break glass" solution. But we will be

I wasn’t having a go at O’Brien.

There has been talk since early this year that he was retiring after this draft. Nothing from the club so I’m not sure if it’s correct

Even if he is staying on however, he’s currently wearing the dual hats of head recruiter and list manager. These roles are normally split between 2 people and this was the case prior to Darren Glass leaving as list manager.

Complicating things further he’s based in Victoria which again isn’t ideal for such a key role

As for O’Brien himself he does get unfairly criticised at times but he does have a track record over a long period of failing to identify and draft genuine midfielders. That’s partly due to a lack of top end draft picks but the reality is it’s been a long time since we’ve drafted one

Aside from that blind spot he’s been pretty good with the draft hands he’s been dealt noting that inevitably there will be some mistakes from time to time.

Yeah that makes sense. I think our footy department needs a shake-up so that there are clear roles for:
GM of Football (previously Vozzo role)
List Manager
Head recruiter

Currently these are being covered by Bell and ROB, with a bit of Nissy, and not sure that’s the right mix.

As far as I am concerned, pass

I get that Dev is meant to be a loyal person, but with Ashcroft, Dunkley and Jasper Fletcher coming in, he will be struggling to get a game next year in a team he was already struggling to get a game in

And rather then come to us and requesting a trade this off season where he has family links and the prospect of guaranteed game time in his home state, he is clearly trying to see if he can sneak in a premiership with Brisbane whilst simultaneously using us as his back up/career safety net

We shouldn't be his "in case of career failure break glass" solution. But we will be

Or he’s just honoring his contract?

Or he’s just honoring his contract?

I don't believe that if he gets minimal games this year and he is in the outer at selection that he will want to remain in Brisbane

Nor do I believe that he would get a monetarily superior contractual offer for Brisbane compared to what we could offer him even if he did chose to remain

Which means that if next year goes to prediction, he spends the bulk of the year in the VFL, players minimal senior football, finishes the year uncontracted and largely unproven at senior level and will be asking uncle Nesbitt for a ticket back home to continue to chase his AFL dream

Which he could have already had this coming year, if he had really wanted it. But to me, he is trying to sneak into a premiership team (and i don't believe that will happen either)

Which leaves us as his fall back plan at the end of 2023. And personally, that iriates me. If he wants to actively come to us (which could have happened this year), great. But we shouldn't be his safety net to fall back on when he isn't playing regular senior football at Brisbane

I don't believe that if he gets minimal games this year and he is in the outer at selection that he will want to remain in Brisbane

Nor do I believe that he would get a monetarily superior contractual offer for Brisbane compared to what we could offer him even if he did chose to remain

Which means that if next year goes to prediction, he spends the bulk of the year in the VFL, players minimal senior football, finishes the year uncontracted and largely unproven at senior level and will be asking uncle Nesbitt for a ticket back home to continue to chase his AFL dream

Which he could have already had this coming year, if he had really wanted it. But to me, he is trying to sneak into a premiership team (and i don't believe that will happen either)

Which leaves us as his fall back plan at the end of 2023. And personally, that iriates me. If he wants to actively come to us (which could have happened this year), great. But we shouldn't be his safety net to fall back on when he isn't playing regular senior football at Brisbane

I don’t mind that he’s seeing out his contract. Tbf why would you leave a team contending for premierships to a bottom side. From our perspective it means that we won’t have to pay overs to get him out of a contract next year and if he spends most of the year in the VFL, his trade value will continue to decline.

This is the first time I can recall a players character being called into question for not asking to be traded while under contract.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back