List Mgmt. Contract, Trade & Draftee Discussion - 2022 Off Season Edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Contract status of all players now fully updated

Last edited:
My takeaway from Twomeys updated rankings

Our first pick is likely a choice between Phillipou, Mackenzie, Clark and Ginbey. How many of that quartet is available depends on whether Tsatas and/or Humphrey are taken before our pick.

If both are taken, then we’ll have the choice between two. If neither are then likely none are left unless there’s a surprise like Geelong taking Busslinger

Our second pick shapes as a choice between Allan and Hewett which might be determined by who we take with our first pick

My preference would be :
Clark/Mackenzie and Allan or
Ginbey/Phillipou and Hewett

I don’t know where Busslinger sits in all this.

If all those first four are gone then he’d be a chance at our first pick. Then in the unlikely event he gets past Saints, Bulldogs and Carlton maybe we consider him best available ahead of Hewett and Allan

Too many unknowns to predict who goes at our two 2nd round picks - starting with does Allan or Hewett slide that far back. Allan unlikely, Hewett maybe.

It will be interesting to see who we go with at our second pick if Hewett, Allan and Busslinger are available. Hewett has probably the biggest potential to slide but also could be the most talented.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I'm thinking Clarke, Hewett, Allan, Cowan.... I'm also thinking they'll go right before our picks.

Allan was rated top 5/10 before his injury if I remember correctly, could be worth going at 12 for him and Hewy at 8. It's certainly going to be an interesting draft though, tough one for the team to get right.
Cowans from tassie right? Gil confirmed a team from tassie isnt far away so i think he'll be a big slider.

Sent from my SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Honestly I know plenty of guys that were arrogant and probably dicks to certain people in high school that matured significantly and became lawyers/accountants/electricians why shouldn’t a footballer be given the same leeway?

Not that it’s ok, but high school is a fish bowl and people want to be the biggest fish.

Draft Hewett or regret it

Someone said he’s learnt his lesson now and has pulled his head in ..

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

No Keeler or Clarke in there either.

Found the comment on Allan really interesting, it was the only player that had a comment like it. Allan unlikely to last to eagles pick 20, almost putting pressure on to take him with 12.
Twomey gets confused on his rankings.

How can Wardlaw’s form warrant his ranking. It is his talent and prospects that has him so high. It boils down to his strength being his network and he loves to get affirmation by recruiters.

Hence his confusion with Allan. Partly a strong end to his colts campaign, a great combine yet a cop out comment on where he might land.

I’m not worried that the Pieman will jump too early. The Pieman drafts to the beat of his own drum

All the talk and innuendo about Hewett doesn’t concern me at all.

He wouldn’t be the first kid needing to grow up if true and i also have confidence in our playing group and culture.

It could explain why his form was down this year if he had to pack up and change schools.

Big bodied mid?
Explosive?
Marking and kicking?
Can kick a goal?
Leadership qualities?
No homesick factor?

For the love of god I hope he’s still on the board at 13. To be honest if we took him at 9 I wouldn’t care. Have a feeling this kid is going to be a very good player.

What cultures that then???
The one that had a player fail a drug test, get a two year ban, get caught with drugs at the airport and then return without a penalty from the club who has now left?
Or the one that has the hippie club crew go against instructions and say f it we are bigger than asked we will do what we want?
Or the one that encourages poor performance, poor preparation , poor fitness and has an excuse for everything that goes against them to try and deflect any criticism coming their way??

I wouldn’t be sprouting out about how good the eagles culture and how brilliant our playing group are at enforcing standards anytime soon.

Not many of us know who WCE will pick but just applying a bit of logic based on what have been known:
1. WCE believed top 5 to top 20 are very even in quality.
2. Ginbey, Busslinger, Hewett and Allan are in the top 5-top 20.
3. For the same quality, WCE will pick the West Aussie player.
Then, WCE will almost certain to pick 2 x West Aust players with pick 8 and 12 (unless more than 2 out of these 4 players are picked up before pick 8).

It seems unlikely that Hewett and Allen make it to our third pick. The decision will be do we back the bloke with a proven history of playing great footy in a position of need, despite some questionable character flaws, or do we take the son of an AFL player, someone who knows the game, knows the system, understands what it takes but has a more speculative trajectory and less proven history?

A big decision awaits at our second pick.

Cowans from tassie right? Gil confirmed a team from tassie isnt far away so i think he'll be a big slider.

How big a slide is big?

Touted around 20

Taken in the late 20's or even the 30's?

Id take the risk with our 26 that will end up 29ish.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not many of us know who WCE will pick but just applying a bit of logic based on what have been known:
1. WCE believed top 5 to top 20 are very even in quality.
2. Ginbey, Busslinger, Hewett and Allan are in the top 5-top 20.
3. For the same quality, WCE will pick the West Aussie player.
Then, WCE will almost certain to pick 2 x West Aust players with pick 8 and 12 (unless more than 2 out of these 4 players are picked up before pick 8).
So after all that the pieman takes Phillipou, Hollands, Burgiel and Ryan

I actually wouldn’t mind that 😂

Like both Burgiel and Ryan, good users of the ball, Burgiel smart around the goals and can rotate mid, Ryan runs and carries the ball.

Is J Ryan > K Smith ? I think so….
Is Burgiel > D Jones? Think so

Last edited:

With club lists finalised ahead of the draft our pick 78 is now officially pick 71 which will come in further during the draft with the expectation that between 54 and 62 picks will be used

So after all that the pieman takes Phillipou, Hollands, Burgiel and Ryan

I actually wouldn’t mind that 😂

Like both Burgiel and Ryan, good users of the ball, Burgiel smart around the goals and can rotate mid, Ryan runs and carry’s the ball.

Is J Ryan > K Smith ? I think so….
Is Burgiel > D Jones?
I'd be very happy with Phillipou, Hollands, Burgiel and Ryan. It is a minor argue of the toss but I'd take Kaleb Smith over J Ryan.

Either way, add Foster or Broadbent as a late/rookie (or maybe both) then drop in Dewar as a Cat B.

That would be a magnificent second stage to our rebuild.

How big a slide is big?

Touted around 20

Taken in the late 20's or even the 30's?

Id take the risk with our 26 that will end up 29ish.
With smith and gilbey also HBFers I'd say its more likely we'd take one of them if we were after a running backman. Personally I'd roll the dice and hope 1 slides through to the rookie draft
Who knows what concessions the AFL willgive to a startup club and what compensation will be given

Perfectly understandable for a player who’d never played in a grand final in his ten year career to say he was fit to play.

And perfectly understandable for the medicos to overrule him in the interests of the team.
Hindsight says a half fit fido would have been better than gardiner and gaspar combined

I'd be very happy with Phillipou, Hollands, Burgiel and Ryan. It is a minor argue of the toss but I'd take Kaleb Smith over J Ryan.

Either way, add Foster or Broadbent as a late/rookie (or maybe both) then drop in Dewar as a Cat B.

That would be a magnificent second stage to our rebuild.
Reckon Ryan uses the ball slightly better than Smith at this point of time. Smiths kicking at full pace can be suspect. But yeah either would fit well in our squad to give us some dash from half back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back