List Mgmt. Contract, Trade & Draftee Discussion - 2022 Off Season Edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Contract status of all players now fully updated

Last edited:
The best WA kids seem to be predicted to go between picks 10 to 20 so if we did hold onto 2 and trade it on draft night with Essendon/Hawthorn wanting Sheezel/Wardlaw, picks 4/5 plus change would be detrimental as we'd be reaching with 4/5 and praying our second target(s) will still be there with our other pick.
This statement assumes we then don’t on-trade pick 4/5 for more again. It can be done, don’t have to think so linearly

Agree with the last few posts, the deal looked alright.
We're only sliding 6 picks in a draft where the top 10 is even, we're not going to get more than what we were offered.

View attachment 1530977

This was the proposed trade.

There’s an error in that Port aren’t shown as trading out their F2 which they were doing if the AFL approved

I’ve no idea how port end up with pick 36 after all that as what they were giving for JHF and Rioli was already unders. That pick 36 should be coming to us not Port

For that deal now to work Port have to trade out a player worthy of a round 2 (this year or next) pick

So pick 1 is worth 3 + 12 (GWS side of the trade)
But our pick 2 is worth only 8 + 12?

Why are eagles selling themselves short like that?

So pick 1 is worth 3 + 12 (GWS side of the trade)
But our pick 2 is worth only 8 + 12?

Why are eagles selling themselves short like that?

We also get a future 2nd (Port) and future 3rd (Freo). That would be expected to be 25 to 30ish, and 45 to 50ish, in a draft everyone expects to be quite deep next year. We aren't using pick 40 if we have 8, 12, 20 and 26.

View attachment 1530977

This was the proposed trade.

There’s an error in that Port aren’t shown as trading out their F2 which they were doing if the AFL approved

I’ve no idea how port end up with pick 36 after all that as what they were giving for JHF and Rioli was already unders. That pick 36 should be coming to us not Port

For that deal now to work Port have to trade out a player worthy of a round 2 (this year or next) pick

One of the bits of fat in this deal is the Lions getting Gunston for basically nothing. They should be adding more and it should come to us.

Does anyone think that after this trade gets done that we’ll actually chase Jackson?

I hope not.

But very little about the clubs actions appears to much in the way of being rational at the moment.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if the lot in charge still have faith that the club can turn things around just by getting all the broken horses fit and that getting Jackson will be enough to effectively turn the clock back four years.

The whole approach to trade week thus far appears to be completely removed from reality.

One of the bits of fat in this deal is the Lions getting Gunston for basically nothing. They should be adding more and it should come to us.
Why is he even in this deal? He's a free agent so surely he can just move to Brisbane.

We also get a future 2nd (Port) and future 3rd (Freo). That would be expected to be 25 to 30ish, and 45 to 50ish, in a draft everyone expects to be quite deep next year. We aren't using pick 40 if we have 8, 12, 20 and 26.

If we don't assign those picks to Rioli part of the trade, then we're selling ourselves short from two angles. Giving Rioli away for free and accepting shitty future picks to push out of the elite top 3 talent, shitty picks almost certainly at the tail end of the respective rounds given both those teams are chasing top 4 finishes.

All supporters have so much subconscious bias at trade time, it’s very difficult to objectively assess how good deals are.

With that in mind, I think the deal is ok. Having extra picks next year would be awesome. And I don’t reckon we are getting too much for Rioli anyway.

Yeah agree with this. I think it's easy to look at how much say North were offered last year for pick 1 and feel like we're getting shafted without going into what the picks actually mean for players we might take.

In breaking the trade down into parts:

It's not like there's a sure-fire absolute obvious choice like a Petracca/Daicos (realistically the obvious second pick after JHF, no idea why the bid didn't happen then) that's set to go at 2. Lots of posters were debating Wardlaw vs Phillipou on merits alone, and while on that debate I would probably lean Wardlaw, there's a chance pick 8 could be Phillipou and pick 12 one of Hewitt/Ginbey. Would I take those two over Wardlaw? Definitely. It may not work exactly that way but it's been said there's a real evenness to the first 15 picks in this draft without having bona fide standouts - it's not like we're the only club with this secret knowledge.

Really depends on club position - I genuinely believe picks 8 and 12 would mean more to us than pick 2. And in that sense GWS have so many top picks in their team they can't afford to pay them all, so on their end pick 1 would create less of a squeeze than 3 and 12 so may seem more valuable to them even if it wouldn't to us. Got to trade for your own benefits not based on what everyone else is doing.

Pick 40 going out is nothing to us if we're taking that many selections that early - it seems like we'd either pass list-spot wise anyway if we kept it and got to that point, or if we do open up another list spot might go a Broadbent type (I'd like that) with a very late pick/rookie that it sounds like we wouldn't need 40 for.

The Rioli for f2+f3 is probably the hardest to conceptualise the value - I think it's one of those ones which doesn't look quite as shiny as say pick 27 but in what's supposed to be a really strong draft offers us capital we can use next year to move up the board, package with a player etc etc - do a variety of things with. With a player with an uncertain value like Rioli while we could potentially get a higher individual pick I think it still suits our list to add draft capital for next year.

I dunno - think we expected us to bend over Port which I'd love to cause **** em but this deal seems like an outcome that whilst probably would be equal in equal out market value wise I reckon suits us a lot more for where we're at as a club

NORTH MELBOURNE
Trade out:
Jason Horne-Francis, pick No.1, 2023 third-round pick (tied to Fremantle)
Trade in: Picks No.2, 3, 40, 53, 2023 future first-round pick (tied to Port Adelaide)

PORT ADELAIDE
Trade out:
Picks No.8, 33, 43, 53, 2023 first-round pick, Future 3rd
Trade in: Jason Horne-Francis, Junior Rioli,

WEST COAST
Trade out:
Junior Rioli, picks No.2, 40
Trade in: Picks No.8, 12, ,33, 43, 2023 third-round pick (tied to Fremantle), 2023 3rd rounder (tied to Port)

GREATER WESTERN SYDNEY
Trade out:
Picks No.3, 12
Trade in: Pick No.1

Get rid of the Hawks and Lions noise.

Port puts in another F3rd and does not get a 2022 2nd back so Port adds more for others.

That should get it done.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why is he even in this deal? He's a free agent so surely he can just move to Brisbane.

Lions need to trade as they would've lost the McStay compensation pick if they just took on Gunston as FA.

That said, there is no reason it can't be done on its own for any of their current 3rd round picks (48, 55, 56).

If we don't assign those picks to Rioli part of the trade, then we're selling ourselves short from two angles. Giving Rioli away for free and accepting shitty future picks to push out of the elite top 3 talent, shitty picks almost certainly at the tail end of the respective rounds given both those teams are chasing top 4 finishes.

Rioli isn't worth that much and the more astute draft watchers seem to think the top end of this draft is even and is shallow, while next year's draft is deeper. If a F3 finished top 4 to give us a pick 45-50ish, that can still be useful trade currency or a live draft pick.

In that sense I can understand the rationale for the proposed trade and it's certainly more palatable than the earlier offer we told to GAGF.

Yeah Brisbane walk in with 36 and walk out with 40 (Ontraded to hawthorn) and 43. That’s ridiculously one sided for them

Make them bring 34 in and they can have 43 for Gunston and keep 53 for their trouble

Or FRO and 40&43 stay in the pot

A lot of hand wringing over information we largely already had.

Nothing has changed. There has been no movement since Friday.

I’m not even saying this deal won’t happen, I can’t claim to know if the Eagles were keen on it or if they were the ones pushing for more which forced Port to check about trading out all future picks. I don’t know.

Just saying, the actual information hasn’t really changed at all, and this thread has gone from “we’re driving a hard bargain”, to “we’re bending over” and back again and back again and back again and back again.

Nature abhors a vacuum. Probably better served waiting for some actual updates, rather than clarification on trades that are a) three days old and b) dead.

Works better for them and Hawthorn if the trade goes through I suspect.

Hawks get a pick that they probably wouldn’t get as FA compo.

Lions trade in Gunston, therefore not impacting the McStay compo.

It might not be market value but both clubs involved are getting a better deal out of it than letting Gunston go in FA so I suspect they’d be content.

Why do we seem set on WA talent? Just because it gets spoken about around here with absolute 0 knowledge of our intentions it becomes accepted fact?
We don't seem to target WA talent over talent from any other state so not sure why everyone thinks we have a massive hard on for them this year.

Tjastas and Sheezel are both massive go home players. Dons hugely into Wardlaw who has question marks and GWS really want Cadman.

Reckon the Eagles are seeing it as an even list outside of a couple and banking on grabbing two decent WA players over one possible great Victorian. Not the worst strategy if the players are even from a certain point I suppose.

I’m not even saying this deal won’t happen, I can’t claim to know if the Eagles were keen on it or if they were the ones pushing for more which forced Port to check about trading out all future picks. I don’t know.

Just saying, the actual information hasn’t really changed at all, and this thread has gone from “we’re driving a hard bargain”, to “we’re bending over” and back again and back again and back again and back again.

Nature abhors a vacuum. Probably better served waiting for some actual updates, rather than clarification on trades that are a) three days old and b) dead.
Its more the fact that the article on the AFL website has confirmed everyone's fears. Up until that point, we were all speculating about what we were supposedly giving up. Now it's confirmed that we are actually interested in this pick 2 for 8 and 12 trash.

Our melts are renewed.

But then BigFooty wouldn't exist and Chief cannot get his new yacht if we didn't engage in pointless speculation.

The recent posts are driven by the official AFL confirmation of the proposed six way trade, you are correct that it's three days old and dead, but it gives us a great insight into what the actual clubs thought was fair as opposed to the club supporters.

Everyone should skip to Bailey Humphries interview, he seems like a great character and when asked which clubs stood out in interviews he said Sydney and Port, think he’d relish going interstate and he’s a genuine X Factor / Explosive modern type. I’d love him at 8 or 12 if that trade goes down

Tsatas sounds like Gaff with worse kicking. I haven't heard anything about him that makes me think he should be worth a top 5 pick.
Watched him several times now

He’s taller and way quicker than Gaff but similar in the sense that they both suit playing outside rather than naturally being inside mids. He can win his own ball though a bit like Gaff.
His kicking isn’t that bad on the shorter passes, he kicks definitely longer than Gaff but his longer passes seem to not always be of A grade quality and probably seen as a weekness.
Gaff probably would have the bigger tank

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back