List Mgmt. Contract, Trade & Draftee Discussion, 2023: Picks 1,20,34,39,53 ,58

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Link to contract status of all players

Link to Lore ’s excellent draft order thread that is updated to reflect current ladder positions

Last edited:
If what was said to him before his surgery was true then I imagine his value will be diminished somewhat. Hawks would want to see how he goes in medicals before offering anything decent

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

22+DGB+Brockman for Ryan?

Hawthorn don’t have 22 (they traded this years 2nd to Sydney)

They do have the Bulldogs 2nd (currently 33) which is short

No way he's 26, All Australian and premiership player, one of our best players. Worth far more than a lone 2nd round pick.

A premiership player 5 years going on 6 years ago, all Australian 3 years ago who barely trains, doesn’t work hard and is usually unfit at the start of pre season and is now injury prone… nah he isn’t a first rounder.

I'm of the opinion that Simpson doesn't stand a chance unless we have a full cleanout of the post 2018 'cruisers' and broken seniors. The man has embarrassed himself by repeatedly backing them in and being repeatedly let down.

But I'd probably keep Hurn if Barrass goes and we can't find a cheap stopgap. He's an on-field coach, a big body and still somewhat durable. We don't have a lot of options.

Ideally something like -

Retain:
  • Gov
  • Hurn

Retire/Delist:
  • Shuey
  • Nic Nat
  • Gaff

Trade:
  • Barrass
  • Yeo
  • Ryan
  • Sheed (pipe dream)

The above are either broken or inconsistent and neither is good for a rebuilding team. I'd retain Gov and Hurn because one is contracted and we have nothing else.
Good call but I’d be tempted to keep Yo. Even if he’s not out there all the time when he is he gives some relief to Hewitt etc

A premiership player 5 years going on 6 years ago, all Australian 3 years ago who barely trains, doesn’t work hard and is usually unfit at the start of pre season and is now injury prone… nah he isn’t a first rounder.

Yet despite all that Hawthorn are said to be chasing him. Why do you think that might be?

Nah we should keep Ryan. He's youngish, a gun when fit, and over the grim couple of years ahead he'll at least give us some hangers to enjoy.

I’m not open to just giving him away, but if there’s a path to trading him to move up to 3, I’d do it. That would secure us one of Curtin or Watson.

Ryan is a cherry on top type of player, he’s not suited to be on a team like ours.

22+DGB/Future 3rd Rounder+Brockman for Ryan?

WTF do you want DGB ?

Worse player than Rotham and he is a player that I would like us to move on.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hawthorn chasing Ryan is in my opinion a pretty good sign that they know Brockman is on the way out and will nominate us as his destination.
Hawks don’t want to lose him for unders or potentially nothing, SO they are being proactive and working on a plan to facilitate a player swap with some latter pick swaps to be added in if required.

Smart move by the Hawks trying to make the best out of a shitty situation.

Personally I think we need to be more creative ourselves with trade plotting and scheming, it’s something that I don’t think we do well or enough of.

It’s like we should be scrutinising the Swans list and saying the Barrass trade ONLY gets done if player X comes our way.
Swans short on KPP long on mids, we other way around.

Sure their quality mids are contracted, but so is TB.

I'd agree with 3 being overs for ryan
The hawks have 3, 32, 50 and 75 so far this year.

Good chance they trade down from 3 for multiple picks then try and use a later first round for him?
They don't have much in terms of currency to play with if they want to stay engaged in the draft and bring players in via trades.
Would definitely be pushing for pick 3 if i'm the eagles.

I'd agree with 3 being overs for ryan
The hawks have 3, 32, 50 and 75 so far this year.

Good chance they trade down from 3 for multiple picks then try and use a later first round for him?
They don't have much in terms of currency to play with if they want to stay engaged in the draft and bring players in via trades.
Would definitely be pushing for pick 3 if i'm the eagles.
Sorry to intrude but it could be as simple as a future second plus a few later pick swaps. There is absolutely no chance we include 3 in the deal.

Yet despite all that Hawthorn are said to be chasing him. Why do you think that might be?

Because Mitchell thinks he could probably get something more out of him than what we can and will.. doesn’t mean he is a first rounder. Positive it gets rid of another credit cruiser out of the club.

Hello and welcome to 'How KS would slightly improve the draft'

Step one: abolish priority picks. If a team is deemed to be such a burden on the competition, give them support through the soft cap and possible salary cap allowances (would need to be some framework to support this step).

Step two: eradicate the first band of Free agency compo, make band two the highest. Teams should not be rewarded for losing uncontacted players, but the compo offsets weak teams losing players to stronger teams. It is bizzare that both Us and Sydney are disadvantaged by TBs contract but North can benefit from McKay not having one if both those players move on.

Step three: Give every club access to match for one academy player. Encourage clubs to grow players who qualify for academies, improve the talent pool and be rewarded for their investment, unlike Melbourne with Andrews a year or two ago. The northern academies may even remain in their current form in this instance.

Step Four: Profit.

Thank you for coming to my Ted Talk, I will not be taking questions x

Sorry to intrude but it could be as simple as a future second plus a few later pick swaps. There is absolutely no chance we include 3 in the deal.
It could be that simple if we needed to dump salary, which we don’t or if he’s out of contract at the end of the year, which he isn’t.

Liam Ryan is an All Australian and a wonderful kick of the ball. He was one of our most damaging players earlier in the year before he was injured and looked to be in top shape, despite what some say on here about his training.

He’s also young enough to be part of the next flag push in 5 or so years so unless trading him nets us a top quality youngster or picks that contribute to that there is zero benefit to letting him go.

Oh and as much as you clearly rate Brockman or don’t rate our list, Brockman isn’t close to being top 5 on our list mate and won’t be getting a deal done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back