List Mgmt. Contract, Trade & Draftee Discussion, 2023: Picks 1,20,34,39,53 ,58

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Link to contract status of all players

Link to Lore ’s excellent draft order thread that is updated to reflect current ladder positions

Last edited:
Harley Reid stepped up to the VFL level and dominated through the midfield for Essendon in this game. Matched the physicality, winning tough hard footy at the contest, then showed his absolute class on the outside. Took a mark of the season contender to top off a fantastic day.

Unfortunately the audio quality of the broadcast was terrible.

Still find it crazy that some people aren’t fussed about us losing access to Reid and taking Curtin instead.
Curtin looks a quality prospect but Harley is on another level, it’s pretty damn obvious.
McKercher I think genuinely comes close to matching Reid’s potential but I believe it’s very reasonable to assume that he’ll be off to Tassie in a few years time just as we’re heading into our next window. Sure we could get a decent haul back for him, but we also might not be compensated particularly well and besides, the last thing we’d want at that point in time is to lose a gun mid coming into his prime just as we’re ready to compete for a flag…
Could Harley head home too? Of course it’s possible, but there has been very little to suggest that he will. He’s a country boy who clearly enjoyed his visit here, he’ll have all the Perth birds clamouring for him and he’ll be playing in front of huge crowds. If he leaves, that’ll be on the club. Yet ironically, not backing ourselves in to retain him would be the first sign of us not having the culture that could retain him in the first place.
Gotta think positively and embrace the (small) risk, despite what the Vic media want us to think 🙄

Disagree, while what pick they were is somewhat irrelevant once they are in the system.

Just don’t think Chesser will live up to a first round pick reach that we did.

ROB has some fan boys on here but to me it looks a mistake
I can remember thinking the same about Darren Glass in his first couple of seasons and we know what happened there! Far too soon to judge a player when having only played a few games imo as after having been out all of last year with injury is still finding his way.

Wow looks like North Melbourne dont want Reid, or think we have it sown up. Clarkson doing well first game back.

Thrashing Melbourne atm.

1691294221493.png

What? I said he had a solid debut but most of you didn’t even watch. You’re basing your opinion of him having “20 disposals”. If you watched the game you’d know most of them were from Claremont chipping it around the back line, he also was a spare man at every contest, which is completely fine, but I watched the game, I’m not going to lie and say he was great and you felt his 20 touches because you didn’t.

He’s obviously a really good prospect regardless.

I watched the game yesterday. First time I’d seen Curtin play

Thought he did some nice things and was clean below his knees collecting ground balls. Good penetration on his kicks too

But as you say it was a solid rather than great game. Allowing for the fact he was playing against the ladder leaders it was perhaps more than just solid

On my pendulum that swings between splitting pick 1 or keeping it, it swung further to the keep side

Wow looks like North Melbourne dont want Reid, or think we have it sown up. Clarkson doing well first game back.

Thrashing Melbourne atm.

View attachment 1766361

They’ve already made 70 interchanges though with a whole half to go

I like to look at the next best option. Sure, we can take Harley plus our other 4 picks (19, 36, 38, 55 and 57) but what might another view look like?

What would people think if we come away from the November trade period with the following: -

2 = Curtin (CHB or 195 cm midfielder)
5 = Duursma (attacking HFF who goes through the midfield)
9 = Murphy (200 cm KPD)
15 = Tholstrup (attacking HFF who goes through the midfield)
22 = Luamon Lual or best utility OR sell off on draft night for a late 1st of early 2nd 2024 pick
38 = Goad (205 cm ruck)

Add Livingston and Hine-Baston as NGA or Rookies

Impact on 2024 draft, West Coast add Melbourne F1 while giving up their own F3 and F4

How?
  • Forfeit Harley with a godfather offer from Melbourne
  • Trade Barrass to Sydney
  • Get the Suns pick 5

3 Trades

1- Norf - Dees - Eagles
Grundy and pick 4 to North for pick 2.
Pick 2, 15, Dees F1 and 34 for pick 1 plus WCE F3 and F4

Rationale
  • Norf still get one of Watson or McKercher at 4 (they need both) and they get Grundy to lead the ruck with a very promising Norf young midfield.
  • Melbourne get their big next big thing while freeing up cap space and admit Grundy was a mistake
  • Eagles get more bites at the cherry with a very good top end

2. Sydney - Eagles
Barrass to Sydney plus 55 and 57 (400 points) for picks 9 22

Rationale
  • Swans get the missing part to their team. They can afford to miss a draft year plus they get points useful for their 2 NGA prospects
  • Eagles - Gov to play on and accept that we are leaking with Tom and admit we will be bottom 4 regardless in 2024

3. Suns - Eagles
Suns give up 5 for 19, 23 and 36 PLUS a guarantee that Walter will not be bid on until least 3 saving 613 points and no bidding from WCE on any Suns NGA meaning Read and Rogers slide. Only a slight premium to Suns on above board points but bidding on Walter until at least 3 saves 613 points plus allowing Read to go closer to 10.

If we do that - here is our team that will be 25 or younger in 2024

View attachment 1764291

I've kept Dewar and Baker in the team but not convinced yet

A fair bit going on there but in essense its Reid for Curtin, Tholsrup and Dees F1st.

All the other swaps invove Barrass and other picks not related to pick 1.

Luai is interesting and an athlete we lack.

Going KP defender at 9 after Curtain feels we may be investing too much in defense there. At at pick 9/11 someone will slide. We could land Reid, Wilson, Tholstrup, Luai, Goad, Collard and Livingston.

Looking ahead to next year, the 2024 draft is currently shaping up to be stacked with midfielders, the majority of them from Vic Metro.

It is looking very lean in terms of both key defenders and WA products.

Becoming increasingly inclined to trade our future first if we can gain a pick in exchange that can yield Curtin.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Assuming Curtin is developing into a mobile tall forward and scoring machine like J. Kennedy and Reid is developing into a player as good as D. Martin. (just assuming!)

Which one does the Eagles want?

Assuming Curtin is developing into a mobile tall forward and scoring machine like J. Kennedy and Reid is developing into a player as good as D. Martin. (just assuming!)

Reid, and it's not even close.

Well Curtin isn’t a forward for starters, his best position is very clearly CHB and I don’t see that changing.

The answer is Reid though and it’s remotely close.

Kane Cornes saying today on the footy show that Matt Crouch should go to West Coast

Happy Eddie Murphy GIF by Laff
Thought he'd say that crouch wouldn't want to waste the last years of his career at west coast

Sent from my SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Still find it crazy that some people aren’t fussed about us losing access to Reid and taking Curtin instead.
Curtin looks a quality prospect but Harley is on another level, it’s pretty damn obvious.
McKercher I think genuinely comes close to matching Reid’s potential but I believe it’s very reasonable to assume that he’ll be off to Tassie in a few years time just as we’re heading into our next window. Sure we could get a decent haul back for him, but we also might not be compensated particularly well and besides, the last thing we’d want at that point in time is to lose a gun mid coming into his prime just as we’re ready to compete for a flag…
Could Harley head home too? Of course it’s possible, but there has been very little to suggest that he will. He’s a country boy who clearly enjoyed his visit here, he’ll have all the Perth birds clamouring for him and he’ll be playing in front of huge crowds. If he leaves, that’ll be on the club. Yet ironically, not backing ourselves in to retain him would be the first sign of us not having the culture that could retain him in the first place.
Gotta think positively and embrace the (small) risk, despite what the Vic media want us to think 🙄
You obviously didn’t hear McKercher talking recently about the Tassie go home factor! He said he’s happy to go anywhere and that he was a very loyal person. Go home factor? Doesn’t sound like it!

You obviously didn’t hear McKercher talking recently about the Tassie go home factor! He said he’s happy to go anywhere and that he was a very loyal person. Go home factor? Doesn’t sound like it!
If we leave this draft without Reid or McKercher I’ll lead the Lynch party! Anybody advocating a draft swap to get Curtin before Reid just have not got a clue!! Seriously guys!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back