List Mgmt. Contract, Trade & Draftee Discussion, 2023: Picks 1,20,34,39,53 ,58

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Link to contract status of all players

Link to Lore ’s excellent draft order thread that is updated to reflect current ladder positions

Last edited:
Those stressing about height for KPD should stress less.
Out of the top ten scoring Key FWDs this year only 2 top 200cm and both aren't even in the top 5 scorers.
(excluded small forwards and stats might not include goals this round).

Name - Goals - Height
Curnow - 68 - 194cm
Walker - 63 - 194cm
Larkey - 51 - 198cm
Hawkins - 47 - 197cm
J/Cameron - 46 - 196cm
O.Allen - 45 - 196cm
Daniher - 45 - 201cm
B.King - 40 - 202cm
Naughton - 40 - 196cm
Lukosius - 36 - 195

Bazzo is listed at 195cm So height isn't really an issue. Needs to get bigger muscle wise so he's not pushed around as much but should be fine.
Most of the damaging forwards are not 200cm plus in height.
Might want to pick another one at 197cm but no need to go taller than that.
Height is a huge advantage defending key forwards.

I don't see Harley playing back, he's the opposite of Daicos and Sheezle in terms of contested balance.

It's neither the best use of ability and it would expose his kicking to scrutiny & pressure. Much better he finds his limit forward of centre.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
I'm not recruiting Reid to play down back. Yeo can stay down there with ginbey swapping with him occasionally in midfield.

Reid goes straight into the midfield with ginbey and Hewitt, rotating inot forward line where he can do some damage.

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

Looking ahead to next year, the 2024 draft is currently shaping up to be stacked with midfielders, the majority of them from Vic Metro.

It is looking very lean in terms of both key defenders and WA products.

Becoming increasingly inclined to trade our future first if we can gain a pick in exchange that can yield Curtin.

2024 seems light for WA talent.

And it is a midfielders draft however their are non Vic Metro options in the top 5.

And if you want talls this is the draft not 2024.

So a bit to play out here.

If we landed Reid and traded our F1st for Curtin plus trade Barrass I can see us winng more games in 2024. Enough to not finish last not sure about that as what team will get worse?

Last edited:
I can’t tell if Freo losing against Brisbane makes us beating them more or less likely tbh.

On one hand, they mathematically can’t make finals now (because other teams in the mix above them play each other) and thus have nothing to play for, but on the other hand there’s now no pressure

If Bailey is out for next week suspended no way we get close.

Watched the Carlton game on the weekend, and for the first time thought maybe Zac Fisher might be a decent option if they are looking to ditch him to free up cap space. Shown more than West/Clark/SPS who are in his age bracket.

Also could do worse than talking to Paddy Dow as a free agent. Would prefer him over Xon/Foley who are in his age bracket. Not that he is probably interested in moving to Perth.

All of the above is predicated on being ruthless in our list cuts and getting rid of all the deadwood. Can then take a chance on one or two reclamation projects like Fisher, Dow, Robertson.

Yeah would maybe be like the Jake Stringer role at Essendon (when he wasn’t trash) last year until he develops a tank. Take centre bounces given his stoppage ability and then shift forward (or back) with someone else coming in as a follower once the ball clears (Duggan type)

Just use Reid like Nick Daicos has been.

Start him at half back, stands at chb and runs in at the centre bounce as an extra midfielder.

Our defensive winger rolls back to cover Reid's man and Reid follows the play up the ground or back.

Can attend centre bounces late in quarters and develop his inside game.

So he's basically a loose winger who starts at centre half back but follows and impacts the play inside or outside. He certainly has the brains and skills to do it.

In one or two years thefull time inside mid beast will be ready to unleach. Lets not break him in year 1 or 2.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just use Reid like Nick Daicos has been.

Start him at half back, stands at chb and runs in at the centre bounce as an extra midfielder.

Our defensive winger rolls back to cover Reid's man and Reid follows the play up the ground or back.

So he's basically a lose winger who starts at halfback but follows and impacts the play inside or outside.
Thats Ginbeys role if you ask me

Id like to use Reid like Melbourne use Petracca

Height is a huge advantage defending key forwards.

Not when you are Harry Edwards who cant keep up with leading talls.

Watching a Curnow mark 3 meters ahead of a lumbering 200cm defender doesnt help our situation.

You need a tall defender to man the resting ruck / forwards who are 200 plus cm. Half the time their job is to drag their defender away from the main target like a 193cm Curnow.

2024 seems light for WA talent.

And it is a midfielders draft however their are non Vic Metro options in the top 5.

And if you want talls this is the draft not 2024.

So a bit to play out here.

If we landed Reid and traded our F1st for Curtin plus trade Barrass I can see us winng more games in 2024. Enough to not finish last not sure about that as what team will get worse?
I never like trying to think of improvement as which teams will be worse. The gap between the bottom and the middle of the AFL looks like it has never been closer. The game we just played against the Bombers shows what we can do with some continuity of players- if the stars align we could do what the Bombers did (go from bottom 4 to just outside the 8 with 10 or 11 wins).

I'm saying that, I think trading our F1 is pretty risky. We will be prioritising the youth next year and they will be inconsistent. If the oldies all get injured again, we could easily be looking at a 4 win season.

Ginbey needs to end up our big bodied contested mid with semi defensive on ball roles.

And we are talking about year 1 and 2 as these kids develop. Not the role they will play with 4 seasons and 70 plus games experience.
Oh thatds 100% my point. Ginbey should end up there but not be thrown to the wolves. Ease him into it just like Collingwood have with Daicos

Oh thatds 100% my point. Ginbey should end up there but not be thrown to the wolves. Ease him into it just like Collingwood have with Daicos

Ginbey

Lonely Zach Galifianakis GIF

Beast Mode Smile GIF by DIRTY VELVET CLOTHING

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back