List Mgmt. Contract, Trade & Draftee Discussion, 2023: Picks 1,20,34,39,53 ,58

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Link to contract status of all players

Link to Lore ’s excellent draft order thread that is updated to reflect current ladder positions

Last edited:
Don't believe so.

Pretty sure all his game time at Claremont thus far has been mopping up in the backline or a couple brief stints forward.

Curtin would be 100% wasted as a key defender IMO. He's not a lockdown gorilla, he's a skillfull accumulator who cruises around making space for himself with sidesteps and hitting targets with his good left foot kick. Everyone make comparisons to Pendlebury for other players, but for Curtin i kinda get it.

I don't even know what role he'd play for us. You'd have to take a punt on him as a midfielder rather than a 3rd tall behind Barrass and McGovern.

In my expert YouTube assessment of him, he reminds me a fair bit Dawson. Tall but not key position tall, versatile, smooth mover, left footer and seems to have decent footy IQ.

Could follow a similar path - 3rd tall defender/distributor who eventually pushes up to the wing and hopefully midfield.

Okay picture this:

The JHF debacle has made North wary of shackling a player with the tag of number 1 pick. They could have avoided it by bidding on Daicos but wanted the marketability of having a player that was number 1. Boy did that backfire.

So this time, to spare Reid that pressure, they bid on Walter first.

Then Gold Coast elect not to match.

Then we take Reid with pick 2.
gabrielle-dreams.gif

Okay picture this:

The JHF debacle has made North wary of shackling a player with the tag of number 1 pick. They could have avoided it by bidding on Daicos but wanted the marketability of having a player that was number 1. Boy did that backfire.

So this time, to spare Reid that pressure, they bid on Walter first.

Then Gold Coast elect not to match.

Then we take Reid with pick 2.
Any chance Norf avoids taking a player at pick 1 altogether and switches trades with us on the proviso that we don't draft Reid at pick 1, but we take him anyway?

With the way WCE use their wingman, it'd be a bit of a waste for mine.

1 gimp non accumulating position, which we're currently hiding our first rounder Chesser in, having previously hid our OTHER first rounder Brander in. The other wing is a mixture of Gaff/Ledwards/Clark, who don't push forward and hit the scoreboard at all and aren't damaging by foot either.

Let's just say i never really sit down and watch an Eagles game and think of how much of an impact our wingman have had on the contest.

It's why Curtin is a head scratcher. Could just leave him in defense i guess, let him play a semi accountable third tall defender role and run off his player a bit to provide an option and open the game up with his foot skills. Particularly now Hurn is gone. Kind of the role Yeo is currently doing when he's not mid.

But then where does that leave Bazzo? In the WAFL behind McGovern and Barrasss and not getting a game at all?
I’ve watched every game of Reid’s over the last year and a half so I’m as disappointed as any in here that we have missed out on a talent.

However Reid isn’t perfect and a couple of posters have called out his weaknesses which they are right about but I quite often prefer to focus on strengths which he has a few of that are off the charts.

If we selected Curtin or McKercher it won’t be a disaster far from it both are talented.

If we select Curtin he won’t be a winger he will start down back taking Hurn’s position. He will be basically be a taller Hurn with a bullet left instead of a cannon right.

Eventually he may move into midfield minutes if the team needs a big body in there however we won’t know that for a year or two and he does give us flexibility by possibly giving us that option. Best case scenario Curtin could end up better than Reid. Without interviewing him can’t say for sure but he looks a real professional.

McKercher is best way described as a Zac Merrett clone. He would give us heaps of run and dash through the middle. He likes to run and carry the ball, has a nice neat kick and makes solid decisions. Likes to push forward as a Midfielder and hit the scoreboard. I think his pace and run would be perfect for us even though we probably need an inside mid badly seeing Yeo just can’t stay on the park.

We will have more drafts coming up to fill roles like inside mid if we miss it this year plus trade options. What you can’t pass up on is talent and Curtin and McKercher have it in spades.

As for Bazzo and I’d put J Williams in this bracket too they just need time and if they get a couple more preseasons in and some quality time in the WAFL with a some games of Afl in between they will be in a great space in 2-3 seasons time. They just need to build core strength and develop there games a bit, big blokes just take a bit longer generally.

HAHAHAHAHAHAH are you guys happy? wowhoooe we won a dead rubber match which sets us back even more, wooooooooo.

Well done on being the worst team in AFL history with countless 100+ losses and to show for this we miss out on not only pick 1 but pick 2 also.

Is everyone happy now? woooohooo, go Oscar having a great game when he does not need to play and should be on ice.

Norf have been tanking, resting LDU + Wardlaw etc etc... we fricken have no idea.
Do you suddenly expect them to actually develop a winning culture after 3x spoons and tanking this year?

They'll be lucky if they don't get a mass exodus in the next couple of seasons and Clarko gets the boot and they go around again...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Personally, pick 1's big appeal was less about Harley Reid and more about what we could get for it / getting in front of North before potential compensation.

The upside to (probably) not having it is that we can pick a player that fits our needs better, rather than Reid who we'd probably have to take.

For mine McKercher would be the perfect player to complement our midfield. We lack a (young) genuine accumulator and elite kick. Doesn't hurt that he also has serious wheels. Kelly, Hewett, Ginbey, McKercher, Culley (?) Is a near perfect midfield mix.

Alternatively we also need an offensive KPD to replace Gov and that's where Curtin would be a godsend. Barrass is a great defender but he's not going to hurt you off his own boot. A key defender that can intercept up the ground and then kill you by foot is about as rare as it gets in the AFL.

So we sell our multiple second rounds for GCS 4

Pick 2 - Mckersher
Pick 4 - Curtin

Next year
Gaff, Rotham and SPS goes
Pick 1-3 which we split and pick up KPD and KPF (8-14)

McGovern, Cripps and Yeo finish up
Reid requests a trade, we finish bottom and pick him up for Naught.
Sam Taylor joins as a FA.
Pick 1-3

It all works out in the end

So we sell our multiple second rounds for GCS 4

Pick 2 - Mckersher
Pick 4 - Curtin

Next year
Gaff, Rotham and SPS goes
Pick 1-3 which we split and pick up KPD and KPF (8-14)

McGovern, Cripps and Yeo finish up
Reid requests a trade, we finish bottom and pick him up for Naught.
Sam Taylor joins as a FA.
Pick 1-3

It all works out in the end

Our 2nd and Port’s 2nd isn’t going to be enough for pick 4, we’d have to include our future 2nd + promise not to bid on Walter at 2 (if North haven’t already at 1) for our offer to stand a remote chance and even then it’s unlikely.

Also don’t see ROB and the club being brave enough to trade several picks for a singular one.

Our 2nd and Port’s 2nd isn’t going to be enough for pick 4, we’d have to include our future 2nd + promise not to bid on Walter at 2 (if North haven’t already at 1) for our offer to stand a remote chance and even then it’s unlikely.

Also don’t see ROB and the club being brave enough to trade several picks for a singular one.

Even if GC accepted an offer of what’s currently 21,35,40 for their R1 is that worthwhile since it probably gets us Duursma at 4 or ??? at 5

I’d rather use the 3 picks before throwing everything at one player who doesn’t particularly fill a need anyway

Even if GC accepted an offer of what’s currently 21,35,40 for their R1 is that worthwhile since it probably gets us Duursma at 4 or ??? at 5

I’d rather use the 3 picks before throwing everything at one player who doesn’t particularly fill a need anyway

It’s only worthwhile if North don’t get 2 for McKay

As you could get Curtin or McKercher at 2 (I’d go McKercher, as I highly doubt Hawthorn pick Curtin) then Curtin at 4

If one of them doesn’t get through to 4, you either take Duursma or Watson or split it again, which would probably be strange after trading for it but I imagine you’d still get good offers, Dogs would offer their 2 1sts for sure, I think GWS could even have a crack at it too.

Let’s say you get 10 and 17 from the Dogs, that would put you in position for someone like O’Sullivan, Wilson, Murphy and so on, 17 might secure you Tholstrup

McKercher=Gaff
Nonsense. Gaff in his U18 year was a gut runner and high possession getter but that's where the similarities finish.
McKercher has an explosion of pace that is close to the best in this years draft list, Gaff does not.
McKercher is very good at navigating congestion, Gaff is not.
McKercher has a good goal sense (particularly on the run and/or through congestion), Gaff does not.

I've said plenty about Reid and his potential downsides in regards to being a full time mid. I really don't think the club loses much from a draft perspective. Who the club is likely to draft in the second round is likely still there. Really depends on McKercher's ankle injury and who WCE draft. I very much prefer McKercher over Curtin at this stage.

As far as i'm concerned Reid isn't even the most talented player in the pool (he is more talented than McKercher or Curtin). He does some really, really great things and those things he does he does really, really well. However there are a couple of red flags and i think Eastern Rangers and I are in agreement with pretty much all of them.

Talent only gets you so far.
Hey Phil....who would be the hardest/dedicated worker in this draft?

Nonsense. Gaff in his U18 year was a gut runner and high possession getter but that's where the similarities finish.
McKercher has an explosion of pace that is close to the best in this years draft list, Gaff does not.
McKercher is very good at navigating congestion, Gaff is not.
McKercher has a good goal sense (particularly on the run and/or through congestion), Gaff is not.
Joke mate...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back