List Mgmt. Contract, Trade & Draftee Discussion, 2023: Picks 1,20,34,39,53 ,58

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Link to contract status of all players

Link to Lore ’s excellent draft order thread that is updated to reflect current ladder positions

Last edited:
Thank god we tanked the last game.

Otherwise we wouldn't be anywhere near 905 pages into this thread, with at least another 13,789 pages to fill during our 'dead time' before its confirmed, we won't be splitting and take Harley Reid on draft day.

Whohoooo!
North Melbourne beating Gold Coast to end up with pick 2 will be spoken about in the same breathe as the Chris Groom for Andrew McLeod trade in 25 years time

There's size then there's appetite for the contest.

Haven't seen much of it thus far.
In all honesty he hasnt had enough of a injury free run to show it.

Hes played 25 WAFL Games since we drafted him if i remember right. I do remember the commentators saying he was up to 20 games middle of the year and I was shocked at the time given he was drafted in 2019

Idea Darling isnt in it is silly. Played with one arm, one leg and for the bottom side of the ladder and still outperformed that turd Van Rooyen who everyone seems to love. I want to see Maric get 1 full year in the WAFL. Needs to build his tank. I also cant see Ryan getting through a full season either. His injuries are alot more severe then we are realising. Id go with

Ryan, Darling, Cripps
BW, Allen, Long

Mids to play mid. Maric to get games when anyone needs a rest, its a wet day and wanna shorten the team up and can get 1 massive pre-season in him
This is a concern of mine. It was a traumatic injury he suffered and the last thing that was reported in the media, a couple of months back, is that he's still really struggling.

Out of contract at the end of '24. I wouldn't be rushing to offer him a new one until I'd seen how he's moving preseason. That may sound brutal but surely we've learned from the Nicnat mistake. (Cross your fingers on McGovern).

Absolutely he goes back to the WAFL if he can't find form. We should give him a decent look at the role, as he is evidence of someone who does take a bit of time to grow into the side and feel like he belongs.

If he can't find form in the first 6-8 weeks then he should be going back to the WAFL to work on his craft. That should be the case for anyone on our list.

I won't be judging him purely on goals scored, however. His role internally will look much different than that. I'll be judging the forwards as a unit and hopefully we kick some winning scores as a team and have a much more competitive percentage than 2023.

So you replace a player who is very good at ruck with a lesser ruck and throw the replaced player into the fwd line to develop.

Then send him back to WAFL if he can't develop at AFL level.

Thus you've ended up with a worse ruck option than you had.

Tanking much?

So you replace a player who is very good at ruck with a lesser ruck and throw the replaced player into the fwd line to develop.

Then send him back to WAFL if he can't develop at AFL level.

Thus you've ended up with a worse ruck option than you had.

Tanking much?

Remains to be seen whether Flynn is a worse ruck than Baz. I'll be glad if the club improve their ruck depth without losing draft picks, so that's a win.

The club seem bullish on Baz playing fwd ruck. How about we have a look at that before assuming it'll explode spectacularly?

Remains to be seen whether Flynn is a worse ruck than Baz. I'll be glad if the club improve their ruck depth without losing draft picks, so that's a win.

The club seem bullish on Baz playing fwd ruck. How about we have a look at that before assuming it'll explode spectacularly?

Having Baz play outright ruck was one of the very few positives to take out of the year.

And that's an area we need to tinker with?

Callum Jamieson, Jack Williams and Harry Barnet played a combined 16 games this year, and that's with Bailey playing every game.

I'm sure we could have both Bailey WIlliams and Flynn in our best 22 with both getting plently of opportunity to ruck.

How many of those games were based on form?

Or needing a warm body?

Having Baz play outright ruck was one of the very few positives to take out of the year.

It wasnt a success cos he got smashed in certain matchups while he did very good in others. He isnt a 1st choice ruck really because he isnt good enough in the 1 on 1 contests.

We should be happy enough that he is fit enough and mobile enough to play forward, which lets us play 2 rucks. This is a good thing really. We have seen Collingwood do it well with Cox/Cameron and we can do it that way too

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In all honesty he hasnt had enough of a injury free run to show it.

Hes played 25 WAFL Games since we drafted him if i remember right. I do remember the commentators saying he was up to 20 games middle of the year and I was shocked at the time given he was drafted in 2019
He still was drafted as an overager and then spent 3 years on an AFL list. Imagine if you were paid 100k a year to just eat burgers and hit the gym every day.

If the WAFL wasn't responsible for the talent pathway and junior development in this state, it would be entirely irrelevant.

I'd take the responsibility of junior development away from them entirely.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
Its not really just that. They just need to sack the current boys club group and get some fresh faces in. Doesbt matter who does it. Someone needs to kill off that boys club. Its failing and past its used by date.

We don't 'neeeeed' to... It's the club via Simpson that keeps regurgutating that Bailey Williams is indeed a FWD before he's a ruckman.

Indicates that they don't plan on sticking with him as our solo ruck, despite it bringing out his career best form.

Flynn is a very good option to potentially fall into our lap at the moment. I think of him as a poor mans Sean Darcy.

Jamesons first game was at CHB/FB . To say he didn’t show much is like “wow”.
I would hope he can get his body right as he has the size and athleticism to be a very handy all rounder
HEd has shown glimpses to suggest he’s got “it”. He’s a thumping lad with good movement.Another young lad expected to carry a heavy load whilst all around him went to shit.
BWs father was a top country FF from what I gather so he’s got the bloodlines.
Throw in Cripps, Long, Ryan, OA, Maric, I’d say JD would be in the firing line.
Maric is a natural forward who looks like he belongs at the top level but also looks like he might get a bit lazy occasionally.
Culley will be after a forward position as well.
JW will need a big preseason to get a look in.

Jamesons first game was at CHB/FB . To say he didn’t show much is like “wow”.
I would hope he can get his body right as he has the size and athleticism to be a very handy all rounder
HEd has shown glimpses to suggest he’s got “it”. He’s a thumping lad with good movement.Another young lad expected to carry a heavy load whilst all around him went to s**t.
BWs father was a top country FF from what I gather so he’s got the bloodlines.
Throw in Cripps, Long, Ryan, OA, Maric, I’d say JD would be in the firing line.
Maric is a natural forward who looks like he belongs at the top level but also looks like he might get a bit lazy occasionally.
Culley will be after a forward position as well.
JW will need a big preseason to get a look in.

Bloodlines?

I think one thing to think about with the ruck situation is

Jack Williams - Forward/Ruck
Bailey WIlliams - Agile ruck
Harry Barnett - Raw agile ruck
Callum Jamieson - Raw agile ruck

Matt Flynn is a big body physical ruck. I dont see whose spot out of the above 4 he threatens. Flynn coming in for me lets Williams/Barnett compete for the agile ruck spot, Jack Williams focus more on the forward craft and Jamieson to move to defense and try be Sam De Koning instead

Kurt Mutimer - Overpaid Ruck

We actually played him down back in the AFL and he got taken to school
I seem to recall that historically we've had a few KPD's who started out really ropey, getting monstered and looking fumbly and out of their depth. Then they grew into it and became better than good.
Guys like Glass and Schofield and a few others.

I seem to recall that historically we've had a few KPD's who started out really ropey, getting monstered and looking fumbly and out of their depth. Then they grew into it and became better than good.
Guys like Glass and Schofield and a few others.
EMac was like that, a baby giraffe first season or two then became bloody handy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back