List Mgmt. Contracts, trades, draft - 2021 offseason edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So the 2021 season is officially done and dusted.

It’s time now to fully turn our attention to the off season and what we can do through the trade period/draft to chase down Melbourne in 2022.

List and personnel changes have already been made and I’ll update this OP as and when any further changes are made.

As it stands these are our official list changes :

Out -
• Venables (R) - retired
• Vardy - retired
• Hutchings (R) - delisted
• Ah Chee (R) - delisted
• Ainsworth - delisted
• Johnson - delisted
• Collins (R) - delisted
• Brander - cluster****
• Cameron - retired/delisted not that it was officially acknowledged by the club
• Sheppard - retired

Inactive listed -
• Cole
• Chesser

In -
• Petrevski-Seton - traded for pick 52
• Chesser - Pick 14
• Hough - Pick 31
• Bazzo - Pick 37
• Williams (Jack) - Pick 57
• Clark - Pick 62
• Dixon - SSP
• Joyce - SSP
• Strnadica - SSP
• Naish - SSP

Players on main list - 37 (Including 2 inactive)
Players on rookie list - 7

Future trade picks :
In - Port Adelaide future 2nd
Out - Future 4th

Assistant Coaches :
• Out - Graham, Hickmott
• In - Schofield (Strategy and Stoppage), Knights (Midfield), Wiley (WAFL coach), Brennan (development)

Link to contract status of all players -

Last edited:
I wonder where things are at with JK.

Increasingly coming to the conclusion that it wouldn’t be a bad thing if he decided to call it a day

Similar feeling about Hurn but from what’s been reported there’s less ambiguity about his intentions to play on

Interesting to note that Tom Morris mentioned SPS is only a day or so from getting out of 14 days quarantine. Is there a chance the deal is being delayed just so the club can get him in a polo and in front of the cameras?

Seems a cut and dried deal as a straight swap for pick 52 to have taken this long.

Waiting for him to come out of quarantine so they can do a medical perhaps

Looks like playing Allen injured and in the ruck all year has finally caught up with him.

View attachment 1254361

Now we really need Brander!

Just Googled Wheelchair Football.

Most disappointed to discover that players don't get rewarded extra points if they pick up their leg and swing it around to make contact with the ball.

Interesting to note that Tom Morris mentioned SPS is only a day or so from getting out of 14 days quarantine. Is there a chance the deal is being delayed just so the club can get him in a polo and in front of the cameras?

Seems a cut and dried deal as a straight swap for pick 52 to have taken this long.
I doubt it. It took us weeks/months to do that to Witherden last year

Nup, ignore list is for cowards and those with a below average peen.

There's a cutla real melons on here, Figure09, Alphy, SGIO, Smotie01, Smotie02, Smotie19, Fivey, Thorne, but you just gotta roll with it and give them a platform to say their peace.

Gets too boring and we run out of memes otherwise.

Solid gold projection as always Dark Sharks - keep up the good work.

The point is valid however - scrolling 15 pages a day of the melon bowl here certainly beats what TradeRadio has on offer.

If it gets dull we can always press the emergency button and summon Dargie/Gunnar back for laughs.

Rejection by other clubs could be the making of Brander ,if he uses it as motivation to prove ppl wrong next year ..

Cracked record. And play in what position? And replace who?

BTW most people here reckon we’re already too tall. And talls are generally slower. And a more modern game style needs pace. Or maybe we could just add Brander to a fwd line of JK, JD, OA, JakeW and a resting ruck? ;)

I kinda think we know what we’ll end up with if we do pay out for SPP…

He’s a romantic notion - a big bodied mid, lots of crash and bash, looks like mean kent, still quite young…..ooooer get him up here I wanna boof him….

But….he’s inconsistent, a bit of a butcher, has off field baggage and is likely not a low maintenance professional.

Contracted guys who get put on the table (or not immediately removed from the table when another club comes sniffing) always come with drawbacks.

I kinda doubt the club goes much further with this one….for better or worse.

Just Googled Wheelchair Football.

Most disappointed to discover that players don't get rewarded extra points if they pick up their leg and swing it around to make contact with the ball.
We now have footy for visually impaired.

If we have a comp for the mentally impaired i reckon most of the posters on this board could field 2 teams.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m not a fan of the US style of sports contracts that allow a team to trade a player overnight with or without their consent which seems unnecessarily brutal.

That said I do agree with you that the balance of power in trades has shifted to much in favour of players.

One way to partially address this imo is that if a player asks to be traded whilst under contract then his current club should be allowed to trade him without the players approval provided his existing contract conditions are maintained.
If a player requests a trade, contract or no contract, they should only be able to nominate a state (or multiple if they desire) rather than a team.

Maybe allow the player a final veto (meaning they MUST enter the PSD or retire) if they are OOC.

If AFL wages ever have a floor of around 5x the average wage, and average around 10-15x average wage then I think the argument for complete freedom around trading players becomes stronger. When rookies are on $100k it isn't reasonable to suggest they get traded across the country against their will.

On SM-G986B using BigFooty.com mobile app

I am starting to think players demanding the super high salary should be let go . They are obviously not team orientated for a start .
Did Hawthorn suffer when greedy Franklin left ? Did Geelong when Ablett left ? .
It would free up cap space for needed holes to be filled or accommodate homesick WA players
Put a cap on the highest paid and stick to it . Like a moneyball situation this would pay off .

Let's be honest, trying to protect the ball with slow, methodical, safe ball movement is no longer taking us to where we want to be.

Maybe we need more chaotic 60m bombs to swarm on.
And at least when he hoists the ball forward it goes 50-60 metres, I recon Darling and JK (if he plays on) would love it. Much better than Gaff and Sheed kicking around the corner for a 25 metre downfield intercept mark. I would be happy with SPP at the right price.

Does anyone actually want SPP? And if the answer is yes, what are you prepared to give up? 🤔

He's under contract. Hasn't nominated us. He still played 16 games for a top 4 side this year. He doesn't play pure midfield.

So i'm presuming you're looking at a second round selection for him. Either 29 or 35 this year, or next years second which would be around 25-30.

That's too much IMO. In the current climate, i'd prefer taking that second rounder to the draft and taking a swing at a young midfielder.

We're about to start a list rebuild, i don't think we're in the luxury pay a premo to bring in a contracted player who really isn't going to solve anything for us.

Has averaged 6 and 7 contested possessions the past 2 seasons, which puts him below Yeo, Nicnat, Kelly, Sheed, Redden, Shuey AND Gaff. Basically everyone.

Ask again next year when he's OOC, has potentially played less games for them, is off the boil and nominates us. Probably get him for something around 40.

Why don’t we just concede that with our current coach we will continue to kick the ball backwards and sideways with fu** all tackles.
Given that, why not trade all our pics this year for picks next year.
We could give our new coach half a dozen high draft picks to rebuild our list, and quickly.
Does anyone actually want SPP? And if the answer is yes, what are you prepared to give up? 🤔

He's under contract. Hasn't nominated us. He still played 16 games for a top 4 side this year. He doesn't play pure midfield.

So i'm presuming you're looking at a second round selection for him. Either 29 or 35 this year, or next years second which would be around 25-30.

That's too much IMO. In the current climate, i'd prefer taking that second rounder to the draft and taking a swing at a young midfielder.

We're about to start a list rebuild, i don't think we're in the luxury pay a premo to bring in a contracted player who really isn't going to solve anything for us.

Has averaged 6 and 7 contested possessions the past 2 seasons, which puts him below Yeo, Nicnat, Kelly, Sheed, Redden, Shuey AND Gaff. Basically everyone.

Ask again next year when he's OOC, has potentially played less games for them, is off the boil and nominates us. Probably get him for something around 40.
I disagree with your assumption that our 2nd round pick next year will be between 25 to 30 and I’d like to initiate a week long argument to fill up trade week. Are you in?

I mentioned last night that Daniels tweet that it was a "long shot" and the Eagles not interested "currently" made it sound like it's still a possibility and we're basically just talking down his value

This confirms it even further imo
Could be SPP is keen but we don't want to deal with those campaigners port Adelaide especially with a contracted player

If he doesn't start in our 22, he's definitely around that 23-25 mark in our team.

For a late second round pick (35) the price is right.

Recent (ish) picks in the 30's for us are Foley, Williams, Ainsworth, Petch, Rotham and Cole.

SPP Has shown more than most, if not all of those players (and was the same draft as Rotham, the draft after Cole - so not all of it is an age thing).

Does he have limitations - yes. Does our current squad have limitations - yes.

The question is, do his strengths line up well with our weaknesses as a team - and can our current squad overcome/cover his shortcomings. My opinion is a strong yes on both points.

Ok i've had enough. Fold Coast needs to be kicked out of the comp.

A FIRST rounder (Pick 19) + Will Brodie + Pick 60

For

2022 second (probably 27-33) + 2022 fourth (probably 65)

Ridiculous. Even if you take Brodie out of it, it's Pick 19 and 60 for Pick 27-33 and Pick 65.

I will say though that the contested possession stats are a bit misleading given SPP gets plonked forward a lot. We could certainly use SPP but not for his salary demands and while giving up pick 29/35 this year, if we add SPS for pick 52.

If we need a mature body I'd rather we added Clarke or Rogers at 35, will come at base salary rather than whatever SPP is asking for.

Ok i've had enough. Fold Coast needs to be kicked out of the comp.

A FIRST rounder (Pick 19) + Will Brodie + Pick 60

For

2022 second (probably 27-33) + 2022 fourth (probably 65)

Ridiculous. Even if you take Brodie out of it, it's Pick 19 and 60 for Pick 27-33 and Pick 65.
Gold Coast were given a large list size, then it's been cut back more than was initially thought, they have to dump players not in their best 22, to open space and remove salary. They don't need picks this year so loading up next year, will be in a position to package up multiple 2nd and 3rds next year to move up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back