List Mgmt. Contracts, trades, draft - 2021 offseason edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So the 2021 season is officially done and dusted.

It’s time now to fully turn our attention to the off season and what we can do through the trade period/draft to chase down Melbourne in 2022.

List and personnel changes have already been made and I’ll update this OP as and when any further changes are made.

As it stands these are our official list changes :

Out -
• Venables (R) - retired
• Vardy - retired
• Hutchings (R) - delisted
• Ah Chee (R) - delisted
• Ainsworth - delisted
• Johnson - delisted
• Collins (R) - delisted
• Brander - cluster****
• Cameron - retired/delisted not that it was officially acknowledged by the club
• Sheppard - retired

Inactive listed -
• Cole
• Chesser

In -
• Petrevski-Seton - traded for pick 52
• Chesser - Pick 14
• Hough - Pick 31
• Bazzo - Pick 37
• Williams (Jack) - Pick 57
• Clark - Pick 62
• Dixon - SSP
• Joyce - SSP
• Strnadica - SSP
• Naish - SSP

Players on main list - 37 (Including 2 inactive)
Players on rookie list - 7

Future trade picks :
In - Port Adelaide future 2nd
Out - Future 4th

Assistant Coaches :
• Out - Graham, Hickmott
• In - Schofield (Strategy and Stoppage), Knights (Midfield), Wiley (WAFL coach), Brennan (development)

Link to contract status of all players -

Last edited:
Does anyone actually want SPP? And if the answer is yes, what are you prepared to give up? 🤔

He's under contract. Hasn't nominated us. He still played 16 games for a top 4 side this year. He doesn't play pure midfield.

So i'm presuming you're looking at a second round selection for him. Either 29 or 35 this year, or next years second which would be around 25-30.

That's too much IMO. In the current climate, i'd prefer taking that second rounder to the draft and taking a swing at a young midfielder.

We're about to start a list rebuild, i don't think we're in the luxury pay a premo to bring in a contracted player who really isn't going to solve anything for us.

Has averaged 6 and 7 contested possessions the past 2 seasons, which puts him below Yeo, Nicnat, Kelly, Sheed, Redden, Shuey AND Gaff. Basically everyone.

Ask again next year when he's OOC, has potentially played less games for them, is off the boil and nominates us. Probably get him for something around 40.
We have a full midfield roster next year all of which should be fronting up to start preseason on time . So shuey yeo Kelly gaff sheed redden .

We are getting SPS for a packet of chips who we should play genuine midfield if we look to turn him around .

We haven't hit the draft in the first 2 rounds in 3 years . We have been lucky to get a couple of good late picks in Edwards x2, winder and a couple of projects in jamerson, trew and west .

We desperately need an injection of talented youth in the pointy end of the draft so taking our first 3 picks should be a non negotiable.

SPP should be a next year thing when he is out of contract .

Never know we may bomb next year and be able to reverse Ebert them

Ergh, Gold Coast.

The worst part about that trade is that pick 19 shouldn't even be theirs. It's a concession pick that's meant to help them improve on field, not bail out poor list/salary cap management.

AFL should step in and veto that trade, they've got form in that department. I think the Pies tried to salary dump Mayne in a similar deal and the AFL blocked it.

Ok i've had enough. Fold Coast needs to be kicked out of the comp.

A FIRST rounder (Pick 19) + Will Brodie + Pick 60

For

2022 second (probably 27-33) + 2022 fourth (probably 65)

Ridiculous. Even if you take Brodie out of it, it's Pick 19 and 60 for Pick 27-33 and Pick 65.

The AFL need to get Britney Spears's dad in to make sure Gold Coast can't do anymore harm to themselves.

Gold Coast were given a large list size, then it's been cut back more than was initially thought, they have to dump players not in their best 22, to open space and remove salary. They don't need picks this year so loading up next year, will be in a position to package up multiple 2nd and 3rds next year to move up.

Yeah i realize that, but there's managing your list and trading out of this years draft, and then there's straight up charity.

SURELY another club could have offered them a better deal than Cockburn taking both picks off them for downgraded picks next year. I mean gee whiz.

I'd have given them our 2nd and 3rd next year for that pick 19. It's a better offer than what Cockburn is giving up.

Every year there's one club that pulls down Fold Coasts pants during the trade period and makes them look like a laughing stock, unfortunate it's Freo in 2021.

Yeah i realize that, but there's managing your list and trading out of this years draft, and then there's straight up charity.

SURELY another club could have offered them a better deal than Cockburn taking both picks off them for downgraded picks next year. I mean gee whiz.

I'd have given them our 2nd and 3rd next year for that pick 19. It's a better offer than what Cockburn is giving up.

Every year there's one club that pulls down Fold Coasts pants during the trade period and makes them look like a laughing stock, unfortunate it's Freo in 2021.
Would you take Will Brodie and his no doubt inflated contract as well though? I think Suns are conscious they have to give King all the money next year, so they are trying to palm off anyone on reasonable coin that isn't best 22 (Brodie, McPherson). Would you prefer offering a package like Freo for Brodie over SPP?

At least Freo are going to throw 19 at Clark, reckon he'll be a bust.

Cats will then draft some bloke at 19 that no one has ever heard of and leave him to rot in the VFL for 4 years.

Swings and roundabouts.

Would you take Will Brodie and his no doubt inflated contract as well though? I think Suns are conscious they have to give King all the money next year, so they are trying to palm off anyone on reasonable coin that isn't best 22 (Brodie, McPherson). Would you prefer offering a package like Freo for Brodie over SPP?

Yeah but they were planning on delisting Brodie and letting Freo pick him up as DFA anyway, there was an article about it 2 days ago.

They didn't need to include him in this deal, i think it's just neater.

Brodie is contracted for next year.

I know. And they want him off their books so were gonna delist him under a mutual agreement so Freo could pick him up and absorb his costs off their books.

DOCKERS EYE READY-MADE SUNS MIDFIELDER - BUT NOT IN A TRADE

Fremantle are reportedly interested in Gold Coast midfielder Will Brodie.

The 23-year-old is contracted with the Suns but it is understood the Dockers are looking at him as a ready-made midfielder, afl.com.au's Nathan Schmook reports.

Foxfooty.com.au senior reporter Tom Morris said the Dockers would "almost certainly" look to pick Brodie up as a delisted free agent rather than acquiring him via a trade.

Gold Coast is hoping to swap the 25-gamer for a late pick, despite having one year remaining on a back-ended deal.

But the Suns could delist him under a mutual agreement, which means the Dockers would pick him up on their own terms.

Brodie was taken at pick 9 in the 2016 draft, one selection behind Fremantle's Griffin Logue.

He managed just five senior games in two years with the Suns, but won the club's VFL player of the year award in 2021.

I know. And they want him off their books so were gonna delist him under a mutual agreement so Freo could pick him up and absorb his costs off their books.

Here

DOCKERS EYE READY-MADE SUNS MIDFIELDER - BUT NOT IN A TRADE

Fremantle are reportedly interested in Gold Coast midfielder Will Brodie.

The 23-year-old is contracted with the Suns but it is understood the Dockers are looking at him as a ready-made midfielder, afl.com.au's Nathan Schmook reports.

Foxfooty.com.au senior reporter Tom Morris said the Dockers would "almost certainly" look to pick Brodie up as a delisted free agent rather than acquiring him via a trade.

Gold Coast is hoping to swap the 25-gamer for a late pick, despite having one year remaining on a back-ended deal.

But the Suns could delist him under a mutual agreement, which means the Dockers would pick him up on their own terms.

Brodie was taken at pick 9 in the 2016 draft, one selection behind Fremantle's Griffin Logue.

He managed just five senior games in two years with the Suns, but won the club's VFL player of the year award in 2021.
Not sure about that....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Between this, Gold Coast offering a first round pick if you can take a player off their books, and Richmond's attempts to avoid losing the (suspiciously generous) Chol compensation there's going to be plenty of material for any footy journo who wants to write about the integrity of the system. I doubt any of them will, but it's there if they want to.

Between this, Gold Coast offering a first round pick if you can take a player off their books, and Richmond's attempts to avoid losing the (suspiciously generous) Chol compensation there's going to be plenty of material for any footy journo who wants to write about the integrity of the system. I doubt any of them will, but it's there if they want to.

And yet, when we helped the swans 'park' a pick so it didn't get consumed by an academy match/bid the AFL changed the rule almost immediately.

But, it is the AFL - where no club shall have an unfair advantage*

*unless the AFL wants them to have an unfair advantage, in which case they will most likely not only support said advantage - but provide it in the form of increased list and salary cap, and free draft picks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back