List Mgmt. Contracts, trades, draft - 2021 offseason edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So the 2021 season is officially done and dusted.

It’s time now to fully turn our attention to the off season and what we can do through the trade period/draft to chase down Melbourne in 2022.

List and personnel changes have already been made and I’ll update this OP as and when any further changes are made.

As it stands these are our official list changes :

Out -
• Venables (R) - retired
• Vardy - retired
• Hutchings (R) - delisted
• Ah Chee (R) - delisted
• Ainsworth - delisted
• Johnson - delisted
• Collins (R) - delisted
• Brander - cluster****
• Cameron - retired/delisted not that it was officially acknowledged by the club
• Sheppard - retired

Inactive listed -
• Cole
• Chesser

In -
• Petrevski-Seton - traded for pick 52
• Chesser - Pick 14
• Hough - Pick 31
• Bazzo - Pick 37
• Williams (Jack) - Pick 57
• Clark - Pick 62
• Dixon - SSP
• Joyce - SSP
• Strnadica - SSP
• Naish - SSP

Players on main list - 37 (Including 2 inactive)
Players on rookie list - 7

Future trade picks :
In - Port Adelaide future 2nd
Out - Future 4th

Assistant Coaches :
• Out - Graham, Hickmott
• In - Schofield (Strategy and Stoppage), Knights (Midfield), Wiley (WAFL coach), Brennan (development)

Link to contract status of all players -

Last edited:
Thought we did a bit of good bit of business with our GC swap a couple years back. Turns out, that's just what trading with GC is.

Weller for pick 2, Martin for nothing, our pick swap, burning their charity pick 10 and now this.

Like a coke addict playing with house money, the party just doesn't stop!

Thought we did a bit of good bit of business with our GC swap a couple years back. Turns out, that's just what trading with GC is.

Weller for pick 2, Martin for nothing, our pick swap, burning their charity pick 10 and now this.

Also getting a future mid-first-rounder (pick 11) as a compo pick a couple of years ago then trading it for pick 27.

Yeah i realize that, but there's managing your list and trading out of this years draft, and then there's straight up charity.

SURELY another club could have offered them a better deal than Cockburn taking both picks off them for downgraded picks next year. I mean gee whiz.

I'd have given them our 2nd and 3rd next year for that pick 19. It's a better offer than what Cockburn is giving up.

Every year there's one club that pulls down Fold Coasts pants during the trade period and makes them look like a laughing stock, unfortunate it's Freo in 2021.

The trouble is this how many Clubs have the cap space to take the massive hit on Brodie and his supposed 600K contract, we certainly could not have.

Additionally imagine the further fracturing of player harmony in the locker room, with other players knowing that a spud like Brodie is on the sort of coin thats been stated.

Brodie'e 600K makes, Kelly's 900K look like a bargain.

I get that pick # 19 is a very nice pick, but the Brodie contract YUCK, you have to ask your self is it worth the potential player discontent ?

Besides Brodie is slow and is not a particular good kick............. therefore he will fit right in at Cockburn :p

In his draft year I never got the hype and thought that he had questionable issues with his game that would see him found out at the next level.
Brodie ( 2016 draft ) and Mathieson ( 2015 draft ) were two players that in their respective draft years, that I was happy that we stayed clear of, as both IMO had serious questions around their ability to transition to the next level.

Shocking governance by the AFL, to allow it to happen but then again, that's what happens when you don't treat all Clubs equally.

Besides think about this for a minute:

Do these supposed contracts represent value for money ?
400K Jordan Clark
600K Will Brodie

I think not.

Last edited:

If Freos managed their cap well enough that they have the space to effectively "buy" a pick then good on them I say

I do agree though that when certain clubs "exploit" the rules it's much more likely to clamped down on. Integrity only when it suits

If we want SPP, better off waiting a year when he's out of contract and get him cheap. As he's not worth it for anything more than cheap, you'd want a similar type deal to SPS (Pick 45 plus).
Plus we don't really need him now, especially if we add SPS to Kelly, Yeo, Gaff, Redden, Sheed, Shuey and Edwards, O'Neill, Trew and West trying to push up into the midfield (Brander might even stay on the list). You'd also think we add a few midfield draftees to the list, and if it was someone like Johnson he's likely to crack games at various times of the year.

Next year is a different story, as who knows if Redden is still on the list, Shuey surely can't be playing midfield in 2023 so if makes a bit more sense then.

*Thanks Keys, I swear I read he had a year left on his contract. Fact remains we don't need him now, is he worth waiting 2 years for probably not! If he came up as a cheap option in the next few years, maybe.

Last edited:
The trouble is this how many Clubs have the cap space to take the massive hit on Brodie and his supposed 600K contract, we certainly could not have.

Additionally imagine the further fracturing of player harmony in the locker room, with other players knowing that a spud like Brodie is on the sort of coin thats been stated.
Brodie'e 600K makes, Kelly's 900K look like a bargain.

I get that pick # 19 is a very nice pick, but the Brodie contract YUCK, you have to ask your self is it worth the potential player discontent ?

Besides Brodie is slow and is not a particular good kick............. he will right in at Cockburn :p

In his draft year I never got the hype and thought that he had questionable issues with his game that would see him found out at the next level.
Brodie ( 2016 draft ) and Mathieson ( 2015 draft ) were two players that in their respective draft years, that I was happy that we stayed clear of, as both IMO had serious questions around their ability to transition to the next level.

Shocking governance by the AFL, to allow it to happen but then again, that's what happens when you don't treat all Clubs equally.

Besides think about this for a minute:

Do these supposed contracts represent value for money ?
400K Jordan Clark
600K Will Brodie

I thinks not.

Lobb is meant to be on $700k+ as well isn't he?

How are Fremantle fitting all of these 'stars' in?

Mate, don’t forget Lyons and Ah Chee for nothing.

If we want SPP, better off waiting a year when he's out of contract and get him cheap. As he's not worth it for anything more than cheap, you'd want a similar type deal to SPS (Pick 45 plus).
Plus we don't really need him now, especially if we add SPS to Kelly, Yeo, Gaff, Redden, Sheed, Shuey and Edwards, O'Neill, Trew and West trying to push up into the midfield (Brander might even stay on the list). You'd also think we add a few midfield draftees to the list, and if it was someone like Johnson he's likely to crack games at various times of the year.

Next year is a different story, as who knows if Redden is still on the list, Shuey surely can't be playing midfield in 2023 so if makes a bit more sense then.
If we do go for SPP i'd be much happier if we traded out next years 3rd rounder rather than giving up 29/35. Would sign off on that deal.

Lobb is meant to be on $700k+ as well isn't he?

How are Fremantle fitting all of these 'stars' in?

Fremantle stars ????? ...go on I am listening, should be a quick type. ;)

AFL trade talk saying Lewis Young to Carlton should be completed today... In the same note his manager suggests it will be pretty much for the SPS pick, which is around 49 (his words, we know it is 52 now).

Sounds like that will be either 2 deals, or one 3-way deal, and should be done this week (imminently...?)

If Freos managed their cap well enough that they have the space to effectively "buy" a pick then good on them I say

I do agree though that when certain clubs "exploit" the rules it's much more likely to clamped down on. Integrity only when it suits

They managed their cap sufficiently well enough to be able to afford Cerra’s contract demands which in reality is just normal planning

But they weren’t able to convince him to stay which gives them the benefit of an unexpected space in their salary cap

By losing Cerra they get pick 6 and 19 effectively plus whatever else they can squeeze out of Carlton

Courtesy of Gold Coast they’ve done well in maximising their return from players (Weller and Cerra) who didn’t want to be there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Also, for those suggesting we wait until next year to go after Powell Pepper when he’s out of contract, he’s actually contracted to the end of 2023

Very happy we're not in the market for Clark. Would be pretty livid if we were handing over pick 19 or 22 for Clark.

Has Wilson, Lobb, McCarthy, Hogan written all over it.
Disagree. I think we’re just talking him down because he has been linked to Freo the whole time. I suspect the rest of the competition probably rates him higher than we do, and not sure we can Geelong’s development whilst their in this top-up desperation phase

I'm not sure, sounds good. But both Clark and Brodie haven't been playing regular AFL footy, so both unproven and could be busts.

Pick 19, is decent.

I'm a bit more bullish than some on Clark. If he had nominated us I suspect the dialogue would be markedly different around these parts

Interesting that first round picks like Brodie and Clark can get traded pretty easily while Brander isn't wanted by anybody even on budget wages..

It's a bit strange that Sweet re-signed at the Bulldogs, who then acquired O'Brien from Hawks. If Sweet was after opportunity I'm not sure he's finding it at the Dogs. Unsure if Darcy will be a ruck or forward.

Good to see we've got an eye on life after Nic. We need a genuine primary ruck. Baz might be better suited to KPF and we may have unearthed a new KPD in Jamo if they decide to continue that experiment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back