List Mgmt. Contracts, trades, draft - 2021 offseason edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So the 2021 season is officially done and dusted.

It’s time now to fully turn our attention to the off season and what we can do through the trade period/draft to chase down Melbourne in 2022.

List and personnel changes have already been made and I’ll update this OP as and when any further changes are made.

As it stands these are our official list changes :

Out -
• Venables (R) - retired
• Vardy - retired
• Hutchings (R) - delisted
• Ah Chee (R) - delisted
• Ainsworth - delisted
• Johnson - delisted
• Collins (R) - delisted
• Brander - cluster****
• Cameron - retired/delisted not that it was officially acknowledged by the club
• Sheppard - retired

Inactive listed -
• Cole
• Chesser

In -
• Petrevski-Seton - traded for pick 52
• Chesser - Pick 14
• Hough - Pick 31
• Bazzo - Pick 37
• Williams (Jack) - Pick 57
• Clark - Pick 62
• Dixon - SSP
• Joyce - SSP
• Strnadica - SSP
• Naish - SSP

Players on main list - 37 (Including 2 inactive)
Players on rookie list - 7

Future trade picks :
In - Port Adelaide future 2nd
Out - Future 4th

Assistant Coaches :
• Out - Graham, Hickmott
• In - Schofield (Strategy and Stoppage), Knights (Midfield), Wiley (WAFL coach), Brennan (development)

Link to contract status of all players -

Last edited:
No issue with us bottoming out, it's the nature of the AFL structure.
But when that happens, we need to embrace it. Not piss fart around mid-table for years because "something something winning culture".
I'm struggling to see who we will beat in 4 years time except Geelong who have a cliff as high as ours possibly bigger?

I’ve seen half a dozen phantoms so far and 50% of them have Johnson and Erasmus gone by our first pick. Don’t like those odds when this entire board is expecting Johnson :moustache:

Agreed.

After the three standout midfielders in N.Daicos, J.Horne-Francis and F.Callaghan, both N.Erasmus and M.Johnson are as good as any that remain with arguably a greater amount of certainty from exposed form.

I rate the two of them very highly - I don't see either lasting to our first pick as it currently stands.

Agreed.

After the three standout midfielders in N.Daicos, J.Horne-Francis and F.Callaghan, both N.Erasmus and M.Johnson are as good as any that remain with arguably a greater amount of certainty from exposed form.

I rate the two of them very highly - I don't see either lasting to our first pick as it currently stands.
I think Hawks like the look of Erasmus and I feel they will swoop him and then Freo pick MJ.
I'd honestly prefer Wanganeed-Millera than Sinn

I’ve seen half a dozen phantoms so far and 50% of them have Johnson and Erasmus gone by our first pick. Don’t like those odds when this entire board is expecting Johnson :moustache:
I believe it will hinge on who inside our pick takes a tall.
Potential tall before 10 (12) are Gibcus, Andrew and Amiss.

I am sensing that Suns will take Gibcus if GWS go smaller. GWS and Suns have used the draft to address needs, even with early picks. Rachele is a desire for a Toby clone but 2(4) is too early. Andrew also looks too early at 2 or 3.

I heard one of Hobbs or Ward indicated their reluctance to go interstate so if they are available at Tigers or Hawks then I expect both to be gone.

Then we have St Kilda. WTF knows how they think. They have traditionally taken Vic boys when picking early so let’s hope the continue that tradition.

Freo need a tall but could leave Amiss and hope he is still there at 19 or take JvR. They are supposedly wanting outside run and great kicking skills meaning neither MJ or Erasmus fit the bill.WM has that in spades. Freo have shown very little interest in recent years to favour WA talent early. Brayshaw, Cerra, Serong, Young. It is lazy journalism to assume WA.

The thing about MJ is he showed great form later in the season. The thing about Erasmus is he went into hiding late in the season.

My concern is that the Pieman will go best available 10 and wait until 29 to get our inside mid.

I believe it will hinge on who inside our pick takes a tall.
Potential tall before 10 (12) are Gibcus, Andrew and Amiss.

I am sensing that Suns will take Gibcus if GWS go smaller. GWS and Suns have used the draft to address needs, even with early picks. Rachele is a desire for a Toby clone but 2(4) is too early. Andrew also looks too early at 2 or 3.

I heard one of Hobbs or Ward indicated their reluctance to go interstate so if they are available at Tigers or Hawks then I expect both to be gone.

Then we have St Kilda. WTF knows how they think. They have traditionally taken Vic boys when picking early so let’s hope the continue that tradition.

Freo need a tall but could leave Amiss and hope he is still there at 19 or take JvR. They are supposedly wanting outside run and great kicking skills meaning neither MJ or Erasmus fit the bill.WM has that in spades. Freo have shown very little interest in recent years to favour WA talent early. Brayshaw, Cerra, Serong, Young. It is lazy journalism to assume WA.

The thing about MJ is he showed great form later in the season. The thing about Erasmus is he went into hiding late in the season.

My concern is that the Pieman will go best available 10 and wait until 29 to get our inside mid.
I'd cry if we pick Mac Andrews if he slid to us hahaha

Prior to his injuries, Josh Sinn was looking like the Vic Metro poster boy for this years draft and has been a consistent performer since u16's.

Given that the Victorian underage football seasons ( the last two seasons ) have pretty much been, either in lock down, or season abandoned, I am both perplexed and intrigued as to just where and when, it was exactly that, Sinn has been a consistent performer since u16's.

Certainly not his fault, but he has played very little consistent competitive football out side of his exploits for Xavier College in the last two years.

And thats the frustrating thing, as just how do we grade and mark him when he has rarely been pitted and matched against the Nations best.

None of them are fit to hold Sheldrick jock. He proved that multiple times.

If Erasmus and Johnno are gone I say we get out of dodge with that pick 10 and trade it away for a teens pick + change before we do something stupid like take Rachele or a HBF like Sinn with it.

Teens pick we "reach" for Angus Beef knowing he fills a massive hole on our list as a contested clearance winning midfielder, and enjoy the change upgrade.

This is something I wouldn't mind seeing the club pursue should those two not be available at pick 12.

There seems to be a number of utilities and high-risk, high-reward prospects in this range once the certainties are gone.

To be honest, after Brander and Venables (who prior to injury was not showing the hoped-for signs of transitioning into a full-time midfielder), I'd be happy forgoing a potential high-ceiling prospect with a wider margin of failure in favour of a more "meat and potatoes" workhorse who can be expected to be a mainstay at the club for the next decade.

For us, this is simply a draft we can't afford to gamble on with the gaping age deficit that exists in our list.

If we can, for example, get ourselves into a position where a speculative pick on T.Sonsie, J.Goater, M.Andrew, A.Draper, J.Sinn etc can be converted into multiple picks for prospects with higher certainty (but perhaps lesser ceilings) like M.Roberts, M.Knevitt or A.Sheldrick, then I believe we would be in an improved position from an overall list management perspective.

At the very least I would be starting discussions with Hawthorn in particular about what they think of our pick 12 should things go as expected on draft night.
  • Hawthorn: Pick 12 + 70 for 23 + 26 [becomes 12 + 60(ish) for 23 + 25 after bidding]
  • Sydney: Pick 12 + 70 for 18 + 33 [becomes 12 + 60(ish) for 18 + 32 after bidding]
  • Melbourne: Pick 12 + 70 for 19 + 39 [becomes 12 + 60(ish) for 19 + 36(ish) after bidding]
  • Brisbane: Pick 12 + 70 for 16 + 43 [becomes 12 + 60(ish) for 16 + 39(ish) after bidding]

If we were to miss out on N.Erasmus and M.Johnson but come away with four picks inside 35; topping up our midfield development for years to come, then I wouldn't be disappointed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I really liked him as well but looking through some of his previous games he's not that flash by foot. Has all the tools to be a dynamic player but his kicking is bog average at best.

Good call, be very wary of drafting inside midfielders that are not that flash by foot.

Has alarm bells and red flags all over the idea.

download-20.jpg X 2 download-19.jpg

download-18.jpg images-8.jpg images-7.jpg

Don't even mind the sound of Goater tbh.
View attachment 1267789

I've seen vision of him and think he's exciting AF. Would not be disappointed with it.

My impression is he's a little more proven as a mid than that write up suggests, although I could be wrong. Certainly in the clips I was referring to he was doing his best work at stoppages.

I've seen vision of him and think he's exciting AF. Would not be disappointed with it.

My impression is he's a little more proven as a mid than that write up suggests, although I could be wrong. Certainly in the clips I was referring to he was doing his best work at stoppages.

Has some of the best hands out of stoppages in this cohort, the way he gets a handball off long and accurate to a player running into space is elite.

In fact at times to just have to shake your head and say ... WOW.

I'd be happy with either of Sinn or Johnson but my gut feel is we don't reach for the WA kid if we rate the Vic kid higher. ROB also suggested that we're happy with our young mids in Edwards, West and Winder and suggested the midfield isn't a focus. That's not something I agree with, but if we take that at face value I think we'll have no issue picking a non mid with the first pick.

I think there's a little bit of a natural WA bias when it comes to the draft for WC & Freo fans. Gut feel is Johnson just isn't a WC style pick - I'll be genuinely surprised if we take him.
If ROB said that he should be sacked

Have heard that Richmond are chasing hard to ensure they get F.Callaghan - trying to get Brisbane involved in a three-way trade to get pick 2 from GWS.

Club:LoseGain
Richmond7 + 26 + 272 + 60
Brisbane18 + 41 + 6026 + 27 + 2022 (3rd)
GWS2 + 2022 (3rd)7 + 18 + 41

Will be interesting to see if anything comes of this.

Him quitting mid season didn’t help

Doesn't matter.

If you can't turn him into at least a third rounder or pick upgrade, you should be fired as a list manager.

Utter ballsup.

Have heard that Richmond are chasing hard to ensure they get F.Callaghan - trying to get Brisbane involved in a three-way trade to get pick 2 from GWS.

Club:LoseGain
Richmond7 + 26 + 272 + 60
Brisbane18 + 41 + 6026 + 27 + 2022 (3rd)
GWS2 + 2022 (3rd)7 + 18 + 41

Will be interesting to see if anything comes of this.
That leaves GWS with 7 13 18 as first round picks.
They could easily go Rachele at 7 knowing Hill is a likely trade next year
13 feels right for Andrew and would be an interesting move. JvR would be another option if they want a tall and Mac gone. Wanganeen or Sinn are other alternatives at 13 which would allow them to get run and carry understudy Kelly and Whitfield
Then best available at 18.
I would do it if I was GWS.

Brisbane also makes sense - they have 14 then slide back 8 spots from 18 then come forward 14 spots from 41 plus they bank points for 2022. Their list spots are very tight so they get all 3 picks inside 30

Richmond look the loser but if Callaghan is that good, history might say well done. Tigers would then have 2 15 and 28 which is very strong.

It is demonstrating how even 3 to 10 is and then from 11 to 20 as another set plus 21 to 35 being even

Article linking Goater west with his father’s connection. And it reads like we have interviewed him

I would be happy with him if MJ is gone. His recent midfield time has being successful. I really like his ability to clear congestion at pace - more like Yeo does if looking for comparisons. He would help us with contested ball and winning stoppages

Strong rumours both Erasmus and Johnson have done serious injuries and unlikely to ever fully recover. Be lucky to be back before eligible for masters. Eagles might draft them with their second round picks as a good will gesture.

All non-wa teams locked out of WA just take this post at face value.

thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back