List Mgmt. Contracts, trades, draft - 2021 offseason edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So the 2021 season is officially done and dusted.

It’s time now to fully turn our attention to the off season and what we can do through the trade period/draft to chase down Melbourne in 2022.

List and personnel changes have already been made and I’ll update this OP as and when any further changes are made.

As it stands these are our official list changes :

Out -
• Venables (R) - retired
• Vardy - retired
• Hutchings (R) - delisted
• Ah Chee (R) - delisted
• Ainsworth - delisted
• Johnson - delisted
• Collins (R) - delisted
• Brander - cluster****
• Cameron - retired/delisted not that it was officially acknowledged by the club
• Sheppard - retired

Inactive listed -
• Cole
• Chesser

In -
• Petrevski-Seton - traded for pick 52
• Chesser - Pick 14
• Hough - Pick 31
• Bazzo - Pick 37
• Williams (Jack) - Pick 57
• Clark - Pick 62
• Dixon - SSP
• Joyce - SSP
• Strnadica - SSP
• Naish - SSP

Players on main list - 37 (Including 2 inactive)
Players on rookie list - 7

Future trade picks :
In - Port Adelaide future 2nd
Out - Future 4th

Assistant Coaches :
• Out - Graham, Hickmott
• In - Schofield (Strategy and Stoppage), Knights (Midfield), Wiley (WAFL coach), Brennan (development)

Link to contract status of all players -

Last edited:
So GCS shopping around Will brodie and Darcy Macpherson. Brodie a nice inside mid

So GCS shopping around Will brodie and Darcy Macpherson. Brodie a nice inside mid

Pass on both of them, both have their limitations and while Brodie may get a lifeline I doubt Macpherson will.

If we are ( as we should be ) looking at plug in ready to go inside midfielders to add to our list, then we need look no further than under our noses in the WAFL.

FAYSMWbVQAs_dan.jpg

Congrats to Bailey Rogers I won't be surprised if he is on an AFL list come years end.
I would not be disappointed if it was our list.

Two way running, defensive inside mid that gets his own football, has good speed, has endurance endurance and hits the score board.

As I have mentioned in numerous previous posts, I have been tracking Rogers since his Colts days at Claremont and these last two years when he was moved into the midfield he has really come on as a player.
Solid frame and would be ready physically to play from day one.

Last edited:
Congrats to Bailey Rogers In won't be surprised if he is on an AFL list come years end.

Two way running, defensive inside mid that gets his own football, has good speed, has endurance endurance and hits the score board.

As I have mentioned in numerous previous posts, I have been tracking Rogers since his Colts days at Claremont and these last two years when he was moved into the midfield he has really come on as a player.

This is exactly the player we need right now,
Hopefully as a rookie. Even if they don’t play we need these players so that when our A graders do underperform for weeks on end there’s consequences and they can be sent down to the wafl for a few weeks.

I have no doubt however that our rookie choices will continue to be at least one burrows/gorter/Collins pick each year.

This is exactly the player we need right now,
Hopefully as a rookie. Even if they don’t play we need these players so that when our A graders do underperform for weeks on end there’s consequences and they can be sent down to the wafl for a few weeks.

I have no doubt however that our rookie choices will continue to be at least one burrows/gorter/Collins pick each year.
Or like West? Only wish he was given more opportunity when we had injuries, in the way you've explained here.

The other issue is we will (finally, surely...) draft some mids at the pointy end of the draft this year. Add these to our picks from last year, who've all shown something here and could be deserving opportunity after their first full preseason.

Collins and even Burrows I reckon are fine as speculative looks at kids who've shown potential. Prefer this use of the rookie list than picking up the dregs delisted from other clubs.

Gorter will forever be our worst rookie selection imo

Nisbett confirms Hurn has signed on for 2022 and believes Kennedy will do the same, according to The West (paywalled)
While I’ve said I’d not be upset if they both retired and have actually thought it better for the club, this is their last hoorah.

Let’s see what happens

Pass on both of them, both have their limitations and while Brodie may get a lifeline I doubt Macpherson will.

If we are ( as we should be ) looking at plug in ready to go inside midfielders to add to our list, then we need look no further than under our noses in the WAFL.

View attachment 1248564

Congrats to Bailey Rogers I won't be surprised if he is on an AFL list come years end.

Which pick do you reckon Geelong will use on him?

Which pick do you reckon Geelong will use on him?

Not old enough for their anti youth policy.

They are more likely to go Zakarisis.

They have to be told that they are no certainties for the 22 each week, even if they might be the best player available. We need to develop the other options.

Also important we start developing other players in our leadership group.

Gov was the youngest member (and only member under 30yo), and from reports (and video footage) doesn't seem to be setting the standards as high as required.

Kennedy probably has to go out, and I think we should bring in 2 deputies (probably Duggan and Allen) along with upgrading Nic to co-vice with Gov.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Hurn pings a calf or hammy early doors in 2022 he surely becomes a mid-season retirement prospect? Move into a backline coaching role (soft cap dependent).

Ideally won’t be first picked ahead of Foley or Rotham in any event. Depth at best on a significantly reduced contract.

That's why when Simmo decided to bring back all the players at once after the bye without some doing a stint in the 2s first to get match fit (Guv and Kelly come to mind) I absolutely spewed - as we know how that turned out bringing back underdone players! Simmo and the MC deserved a rocket imo!

They make the same mistake over and over.

What that the definition of again?

Mixed feelings on Hurn+JK. Great on field leadership between them and still very capable. Here's hoping they remain uninjured and are surrounded by a rejuvenated team to get the best out of them.
But it still creates a bottleneck for the playing list, and perhaps limits changes in the game plan. Also Hurn is not exactly fast and JK is slowing down. If they'd retired perhaps we'd see the start of a new era without the famous bookends, and other players developing.
Is there a reason why NN can't be captain?

Maybe there was a bit more to it during the latter part of the season when Yeo had a go at Guv during one of the games - may be a bit of resentment there by Yeo for Guv not giving an inch when others did. Sounds like Guv is one selfish SOB?

Would not blink trading Gov to the Suns for pick 3 and Sharp.

Obviously won't happen, plumbing business in Perth, big fat long term contract plus already won a flag. Gov's on easy street and cruising for the looks of it.

I'd be interested to know with these risky long term deals if there are any KPI's the player must meet to justify paying stupid money.

Nizzy has said they'll be WAFL aligned with Perth.

I read this morning that Nizzy said they were hoping to align with Perth but hadn't even had any serious talks about it yet. Also, a couple of other clubs had shown some interest, but any alignment would not be like they had in the past.

I read this morning that Nizzy said they were hoping to align with Perth but hadn't even had any serious talks about it yet. Also, a couple of other clubs had shown some interest, but any alignment would not be like they had in the past.

Either a one or two club alignment, it is what the other WALF clubs will allow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back