List Mgmt. Contracts, trades, draft - 2021 offseason edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So the 2021 season is officially done and dusted.

It’s time now to fully turn our attention to the off season and what we can do through the trade period/draft to chase down Melbourne in 2022.

List and personnel changes have already been made and I’ll update this OP as and when any further changes are made.

As it stands these are our official list changes :

Out -
• Venables (R) - retired
• Vardy - retired
• Hutchings (R) - delisted
• Ah Chee (R) - delisted
• Ainsworth - delisted
• Johnson - delisted
• Collins (R) - delisted
• Brander - cluster****
• Cameron - retired/delisted not that it was officially acknowledged by the club
• Sheppard - retired

Inactive listed -
• Cole
• Chesser

In -
• Petrevski-Seton - traded for pick 52
• Chesser - Pick 14
• Hough - Pick 31
• Bazzo - Pick 37
• Williams (Jack) - Pick 57
• Clark - Pick 62
• Dixon - SSP
• Joyce - SSP
• Strnadica - SSP
• Naish - SSP

Players on main list - 37 (Including 2 inactive)
Players on rookie list - 7

Future trade picks :
In - Port Adelaide future 2nd
Out - Future 4th

Assistant Coaches :
• Out - Graham, Hickmott
• In - Schofield (Strategy and Stoppage), Knights (Midfield), Wiley (WAFL coach), Brennan (development)

Link to contract status of all players -

Last edited:
Nisbett confirms Hurn has signed on for 2022 and believes Kennedy will do the same, according to The West (paywalled)
We have 8 players off the list already meaning we can pick up 6 since players since we took the 2 mid season rookies. The SPS is likely to be netted off with the Brander.

We have the list spots this year and if as reported they are on minor $$$, then not a problem with the cap space.

3 things worry me with them going on.

1. Stifling player development
2. MC back to backing in the champions with credits in the bank
3. Will Hurn be able to adapt in defence to go faster or is him going on again foretell more of the same

JK is likely to put his hand up every week and Simmo will be picking him if available. If they play him every second week, what will that do to Oscar's confidence? How does the forward line adapt each week? Can Darling really play the third tall and offer more link play since we would be too tall?

Will we refuse to pick Bailey Williams as the second ruck and continue, with what I believe is a failed experiment, rucking Oscar.

I do not buy into the view that these guys have been great leaders in 2020 and 2021. They have not rallied the troops (a la Hodge and co) when facing a barrage and all we hear is momentum is hard to stop.

We have 8 players off the list already meaning we can pick up 6 since players since we took the 2 mid season rookies. The SPS is likely to be netted off with the Brander.

We have the list spots this year and if as reported they are on minor $$$, then not a problem with the cap space.

3. Will Hurn be able to adapt in defence to go faster or is him going on again foretell more of the same

JK is likely to put his hand up every week and Simmo will be picking him if available. If they play him every second week, what will that do to Oscar's confidence? How does the forward line adapt each week? Can Darling really play the third tall and offer more link play since we would be too tall?

Will we refuse to pick Bailey Williams as the second ruck and continue, with what I believe is a failed experiment, rucking Oscar.

I do not buy into the view that these guys have been great leaders in 2020 and 2021. They have not rallied the troops (a la Hodge and co) when facing a barrage and all we hear is momentum is hard to stop.

Agree with all of that. From what Allen said on the final episode of Backchat, he won’t be rucking any more. Leaves us with a big headache trying to fit him, Kennedy, Darling, possibly Waterman, and two rucks into the side.

Kennedy may yet announce that he’s done, and that probably would be for the best, as tough as it’ll be not seeing him out there.

I would hope both Hurn and Kennedy were told they were more break glass options instead of main stays for 2022 if they wanted to go around again.

Seriously doubt JK would be extended if they thought he would only be able to play every second week.

Think they would be looking at him playing at least 19 games.

Would not blink trading Gov to the Suns for pick 3 and Sharp.

Obviously won't happen, plumbing business in Perth, big fat long term contract plus already won a flag. Gov's on easy street and cruising for the looks of it.

I'd be interested to know with these risky long term deals if there are any KPI's the player must meet to justify paying stupid money.
Pretty sure you don't offer players huge money and then put conditions on the contract.

Agree with all of that. From what Allen said on the final episode of Backchat, he won’t be rucking any more. Leaves us with a big headache trying to fit him, Kennedy, Darling, possibly Waterman, and two rucks into the side.

Kennedy may yet announce that he’s done, and that probably would be for the best, as tough as it’ll be not seeing him out there.
I'd much rather Kennedy, Allen and JD than JD, OA and Waterman.

The difficulty with JK is he's legitimately B22, but what do we risk in our list assessment and chances at going all the way in 2022 by keeping him around? We must be absolutely certain we're contending. It would be hard to begrudge others starting to consider opportunity elsewhere if JK does go on.

Hurn is borderline B22 for mine. At his best he fits in there, but the problems have been his fitness, going down with injury multiple times and then struggling to slot back in at his damaging best, plus the lethality of his disposal by foot drying up. We might have got 15 play setting kicks from him per game in years prior. Now he might pull the trigger and open it up for us once or twice a game. That's getting into territory of us carrying him.

I dont think anyone's health system is ready for open boarders and everyone with covid clogging them up, so yep restrictions will be in place still. No full lockdowns but restrictions in some places. The coffee districts, clubs and other Melbourne centric attractions wont be as they were.

Couldn’t disagree more. End of 2022 season - $1000? 🤷🏻‍♂️

Vozzo doesn't strike me as a "crack the shits" type, and getting a reputation for being one would affect his career prospects in the corporate part of the footy world. It's much more likely, given he's been doing his own job plus Darren Glass' for the past year that he is actually burnt out. It's not ideal for the club for him to be off right now but it's also not ideal for him to be trying to do his job if he's not in the right headspace.

Him not being in the right headspace at this time of the year is likely to be equally as damaging to his career prospects as cracking the shits TBH

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep- he's a very hard pass for me at this stage. He isnt big or tough enough to lead the ruck and is only a second string forward at best. That screams secod ruck/forward to me. Hell, the Bulldogs don't even seem that sold on him.

Let's wait 3 season or so, when Darcy and Umarra Hagan mean they have surplus talls, then we can get him cheap if we want a second ruck forward.
I agree and to be fair he hasnt had a Nicknat or a ruck like Cox to develop his ruck craft under so it would be interesting how he would go under our tall development which we have shown to be good at in the past

Looks like we’ll have a few retirements at the end of 2022 then.

I'd guess at least 3. Hurn and JK obviously, then one of Shuey or Redden also.

Interesting that you mark OA rucking as a failed experiment.

For the player, yes I can agree it probably hasn't been best.

But for the team, we are 19-9 in games where he has won at least 2 hitouts (I get that isn't many... but had to put some sort of stat marker in).

I agree and to be fair he hasnt had a Nicknat or a ruck like Cox to develop his ruck craft under so it would be interesting how he would go under our tall development which we have shown to be good at in the past

Defintiely don't think English will ever get there as a no. 1 ruck. Doesn't have the vertical leap to contest in the center and not strong enough, and don't think will ever get strong enough to contest around the ground.

Interesting that you mark OA rucking as a failed experiment.

For the player, yes I can agree it probably hasn't been best.

But for the team, we are 19-9 in games where he has won at least 2 hitouts (I get that isn't many... but had to put some sort of stat marker in).

I think a better test would be win-loss record when he hasn’t had two of NicNat/Vardy/Hickey/Williams alongside him.

Those would be the games where he’s played as second ruck. (Other than the Saints game this year when Gov played that role)

Not sure we should be giving up anything for SPS. Feel like he could be a bust, if he's not already. He's out of contract yeah so just make him walk to the pre season draft? 4th/5th round if we have to

On SM-G977B using BigFooty.com mobile app

According to Nizzy , West Coast would be willing to consider swapping Jarrad Brander for Sam Petrevski-Seton if Brander wanted to join Carlton .
" I saw where Carlton have shown some interest ," Nisbett said . " I know Hawthorn have and I think Geelong have shown some fleeting interest . He wants more opportunity and if he ended up at Carlton and then we talked to Carlton about the options for him - they are both first round picks so it makes some sense ."

Nizzy taking over , all good .

According to Nizzy , West Coast would be willing to consider swapping Jarrad Brander for Sam Petrevski-Seton if Brander wanted to join Carlton .
" I saw where Carlton have shown some interest ," Nisbett said . " I know Hawthorn have and I think Geelong have shown some fleeting interest . He wants more opportunity and if he ended up at Carlton and then we talked to Carlton about the options for him - they are both first round picks so it makes some sense ."

Nizzy taking over , all good .
Sit down, ROB you pleb. Big Trev is taking over now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back