List Mgmt. Contracts, trades, draft - 2021 offseason edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So the 2021 season is officially done and dusted.

It’s time now to fully turn our attention to the off season and what we can do through the trade period/draft to chase down Melbourne in 2022.

List and personnel changes have already been made and I’ll update this OP as and when any further changes are made.

As it stands these are our official list changes :

Out -
• Venables (R) - retired
• Vardy - retired
• Hutchings (R) - delisted
• Ah Chee (R) - delisted
• Ainsworth - delisted
• Johnson - delisted
• Collins (R) - delisted
• Brander - cluster****
• Cameron - retired/delisted not that it was officially acknowledged by the club
• Sheppard - retired

Inactive listed -
• Cole
• Chesser

In -
• Petrevski-Seton - traded for pick 52
• Chesser - Pick 14
• Hough - Pick 31
• Bazzo - Pick 37
• Williams (Jack) - Pick 57
• Clark - Pick 62
• Dixon - SSP
• Joyce - SSP
• Strnadica - SSP
• Naish - SSP

Players on main list - 37 (Including 2 inactive)
Players on rookie list - 7

Future trade picks :
In - Port Adelaide future 2nd
Out - Future 4th

Assistant Coaches :
• Out - Graham, Hickmott
• In - Schofield (Strategy and Stoppage), Knights (Midfield), Wiley (WAFL coach), Brennan (development)

Link to contract status of all players -

Last edited:
Best 22, bolded are preference.

2 Tall Forwards (Darling/Allen/JK/Waterman)

2 Rucks (Nic Nat/Williams/Jameison)

4 small forwards (Rioli/Ryan/Cripps/Petch/JJ/ Langdon)

2 key backs (Barrass/McGovern/Hedwards)

5 third talls/small backs (Shep/Rotham/ Duggan/Cole/Witherden/Hurn/Nelson/Foley)

7 mids (Yeo/Shuey/Kelly/Gaff/Redden/Sheed/SPS/Ledwards/West/Xon)

Loading up on mids so would need to play some of them off HFF or HFB (Yeo) for spells, but would rather that than going in too tall again....

Not sure we should be giving up anything for SPS. Feel like he could be a bust, if he's not already. He's out of contract yeah so just make him walk to the pre season draft? 4th/5th round if we have to

On SM-G977B using BigFooty.com mobile app
Id say we offer 49, would be silly to offer anymore

My concern with JK and Hurn playing on is whether the club has a plan in place to bring on their replacements.

Does OA continue to play as 3rd tall with ruck stints or is there a plan to give JK smaller roles?
Does Williams continue the ocassional back up ruck role with limited on field minutes or is there a plan on how to give him legitimate minutes?
How do we fit Hurn, Shep, Foley, Rotham, Duggan, Witherden, Nelson & Cole into the same side?

I'd guess at least 3. Hurn and JK obviously, then one of Shuey or Redden also.

Interesting that you mark OA rucking as a failed experiment.

For the player, yes I can agree it probably hasn't been best.

But for the team, we are 19-9 in games where he has won at least 2 hitouts (I get that isn't many... but had to put some sort of stat marker in).
Oscar had been beaten up and second half 2021 showed him a shadow of best as he is played out of position, which to me shows it is a failure to allow a this damage to your prime forward

Nisbett confirms Hurn has signed on for 2022 and believes Kennedy will do the same, according to The West (paywalled)
Not sure how i feel about this to be honest. Its a massive inditement on our development that younger players arnt pushing hurn out of the best 22.

I cant recall the exact number hurn had to be medically subbed out this year but this, along with shueys durability is a concern.

Not sure.
Williams is a long way off I think.
More of a Ruckman who can go forward I think.

Either way, JK a long way in front of both IMO.
Jk not very good as a chop out ruck . The whole point of having Williams is to back up ruck and drag a tall defender to him .

If we have JK JD and Allen you then need to bring in a ruck instead of another runner

If Hurn and JK both play on again in 2022.... how exactly has the team changed from the one which embarrassed itself and its members time and time again in 2021?

Cattle wise there's what.... no Vardy anymore (thank **** we couldn't afford him) who only played a few games, and also Rioli hopefully back in for Langdon.

That's it? Oh boy wowee. Get the credits. Back them in boiz. We're doubling down on our "leaders" again here. Hope we're not off to Kardinya or SCG again.

No significant changes to the B22 other than a forward pocket who's been out of the game for 2 years.

If Hurn and JK both play on again in 2022.... how exactly has the team changed from the one which embarrassed itself and its members time and time again in 2021?

Cattle wise there's what.... no Vardy anymore (thank fu** we couldn't afford him) who only played a few games, and also Rioli hopefully back in for Langdon.

That's it? Oh boy wowee. Get the credits. Back them in boiz. We're doubling down on our "leaders" again here. Hope we're not off to Kardinya or SCG again.

No significant changes to the B22 other than a forward pocket who's been out of the game for 2 years.
Its all about the vibe apparently

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cattle wise there's what.... no Vardy anymore (thank fu** we couldn't afford him) who only played a few games, and also Rioli hopefully back in for Langdon.

Aside from maybe Mitch Hannan, Melbourne didn’t move on anyone of note last season.

And aside from Ben Brown, they brought in no one of note last trade period.

Their jump from 9th spot to 1st came about largely through internal improvement.

Aside from maybe Mitch Hannan, Melbourne didn’t move on anyone of note last season.

Their jump from 9th spot to 1st came about largely through internal improvement.
With a maturing crop of high draft picks not Dad's army.

This is pretty much it.

Sort of suggests the game plan won't be changing too much ?

True, but the majority of their list is quite young so there was more scope for internal improvement.

I cant see where this improvement is going to come from within our group, everyones old. Theres no energy within this team.

Our only white hope is that we have a good run with injury and

Not sure we should be giving up anything for SPS. Feel like he could be a bust, if he's not already. He's out of contract yeah so just make him walk to the pre season draft? 4th/5th round if we have to

On SM-G977B using BigFooty.com mobile app

I know highlights can be deceiving, but his highlights from 2020 and 2021 are very good.

Attack on the ball looks fine, has a good side-step in traffic, above-average vision and excellent kicking skills.

Statistically his contested possession % isn't fantastic (going at about 40% CP/60% UP) - but he may end up more of a wing/CB rotation than a full time mid (especially initially).

Yep, and Jones got overtaken by younger players (to the point where it was a real shame he wasn't sub in the GF... but in many ways it is that ruthlessness that needs to exist to perform at the highest level).

If we're good enough I'd hope that happens with Hurn and possibly JK. They end up finding themselves out of the team as younger players over-take them.

True, but the majority of their list is quite young so there was more scope for internal improvement.

I cant see where this improvement is going to come from within our group, everyones old. Theres no energy within this team.

We’ve got a decent enough crop of guys 28 and under. Looking at guys born 1994 and after:

Cole, Barrass, Rotham
Duggan, Edwards, Witherden
Sheed, Kelly, Edwards
Rioli, Waterman, Petruccelle
Jones, Allen, Ryan
Williams, Sheed, Nelson
Foley, Jamieson, West, Winder
Sub: Langdon

There’s definitely some weaknesses there: chiefly the midfield (note that Yeo just missed the cutoff, Gaff, Shuey and Redden missed by a long way) and ruck where we’re extremely reliant on NicNat. We need to address those areas in the draft.

1) There was a large number of high end players affected by substantial injuries. I accept risk comes with age - but one would hope that both mirror that got cracked & the black cat that got skittled have both been replaced for 22.

2) To suggest there is no improvement in the group because they're too old is simply wrong. Allen, Duggan, Rotham, Foley, Williams, both Edwards, Trew, Winder etc have enormous potential for development based on age and that is a third of a team right there. And I can see many of these as 1st choice players round 1 next year

3) Critical players like Yeo, Ryan, Kelly and Barrass are still young enough to become better and more consistent.

4) Rioli is important and available.

Fine line between glass half full & half empty.

1) There was a large number of high end players affected by substantial injuries. I accept risk comes with age - but one would hope that both mirror that got cracked & the black cat that got skittled have both been replaced for 22.

What’s the story with Gov’s hip?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back