List Mgmt. Contracts, trades, draft - 2021 offseason edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So the 2021 season is officially done and dusted.

It’s time now to fully turn our attention to the off season and what we can do through the trade period/draft to chase down Melbourne in 2022.

List and personnel changes have already been made and I’ll update this OP as and when any further changes are made.

As it stands these are our official list changes :

Out -
• Venables (R) - retired
• Vardy - retired
• Hutchings (R) - delisted
• Ah Chee (R) - delisted
• Ainsworth - delisted
• Johnson - delisted
• Collins (R) - delisted
• Brander - cluster****
• Cameron - retired/delisted not that it was officially acknowledged by the club
• Sheppard - retired

Inactive listed -
• Cole
• Chesser

In -
• Petrevski-Seton - traded for pick 52
• Chesser - Pick 14
• Hough - Pick 31
• Bazzo - Pick 37
• Williams (Jack) - Pick 57
• Clark - Pick 62
• Dixon - SSP
• Joyce - SSP
• Strnadica - SSP
• Naish - SSP

Players on main list - 37 (Including 2 inactive)
Players on rookie list - 7

Future trade picks :
In - Port Adelaide future 2nd
Out - Future 4th

Assistant Coaches :
• Out - Graham, Hickmott
• In - Schofield (Strategy and Stoppage), Knights (Midfield), Wiley (WAFL coach), Brennan (development)

Link to contract status of all players -

Last edited:
Yeah this thread is banana's. Things were much simpler when it was all about Bock and Gunston
Question for those in WA who may know the Cockburns better than me. Given the issues with players not wishing to come to WA, or 'moving on' those at WCE who are from WA, is there anyone who might be worth chasing or swapping for?

Fyfe for Gov might be nice, but as Darrel says 'tell him he's dreamin'.

Originally I had thought there might more movement between the two clubs, but as the years pass not too many have moved.
we don't want any of their tainted filth thanks

Don't mind the gist, but prefer to keep next year's first unless we get a fair bit more than just 14&47. Most would be expecting us to slide and that it's going to be at least a top 10 pick. Like the idea of backing ourselves in (like 2017), but think we could get a decent amount more.
The reason is that I see a whole heap of mids in the 8-25 range this year and plenty of clubs who are already stocked with plenty of young mids, so the KPP talent might go earlier.
Freo, Adel and Rich will want some mids but Syd, NM, Ess, Melb, Port, GWS, GC and Carlton have other areas they will want to fill

1) There was a large number of high end players affected by substantial injuries. I accept risk comes with age - but one would hope that both mirror that got cracked & the black cat that got skittled have both been replaced for 22.

2) To suggest there is no improvement in the group because they're too old is simply wrong. Allen, Duggan, Rotham, Foley, Williams, both Edwards, Trew, Winder etc have enormous potential for development based on age and that is a third of a team right there. And I can see many of these as 1st choice players round 1 next year

3) Critical players like Yeo, Ryan, Kelly and Barrass are still young enough to become better and more consistent.

4) Rioli is important and available.

Fine line between glass half full & half empty.
Hows WCE going the to sort out the rift within the club...
The Players vs McGovern/Kelly

Last edited:
To be fair, the way certain senior players have been given credits over the years, I wouldn't be surprised if it's ruffled some feathers after the season we've had.

MC would probs have caused a bit of angst with some of the decisions they make.

Don't get triggered Fivey.

So in a nutshell, your thoughts on our list and club is that it is no time to die!!!
View attachment 1248933

I sensed the club drew a line in the sand in the last month and publicly at a number of levels admitted we had underperformed (and probably for 2 years). I was happy that the problems were being aired and addressed. A problem recognised is a problem on the way to being fixed.

BUT talk by you of black cats and mirrors worries me as it feels like we are back making excuses.

Let me set the scene with the facts on 7 games. We played the top 6 and only doubled up with Dogs. We went 1-6 for those games and lost 6 by an average margin of 50 points. Glad we had a relatively easy draw then with only once playing the top 6 teams twice and the games were split as 3 at home, 3 away and 1 at a neutral venue.
View attachment 1248952

We finished the season with a percentage of 93.2%. Obviously this was significantly impacted by the above 6 games but we never looked ruthless and put teams away.

The 5 teams we played twice finished in positions 2, 10, 11, 15 and 17. That in most cases would be considered an easy draw for a team that finished 5th after H&A the year before.

Post the bye, we finished the season with 2 wins and 7 losses.

I am normally optimistic but when you look at the cold hard facts, the proof of the pudding is in the eating.

I would like to suggest the club have a strong review of some of the following:

1. Match Committee - credits in the bank, bring back senior players not quite right and then blaming the black cats, picking inside mids and playing them as flankers, etc. Clearly it is Simmo not addressing the issues at the selection table.
2. Consequences - players who do not follow team rules are dealt with in selection. Barrass kicking poorly off one step. Sheed calling for the ball in the corridor when standing still. Darling not picking up his direct opponent and chasing him to our backline. Langdon attempting a shot from goal from the 50m arc when he failed to get the distance from 45 10 minutes earlier. etc etc
3. Fitness Levels - we failed in the last 2 years to run out games. Put simply, we look to be a club with a low level of endurance lead by McGovern, Barrass and NicNat.
4. On Field Leadership - assuming Shuey gets the captains hat again, appoint Duggan, Allen and NicNat as his deputies.
5. List Assessment - do we have the list profile to be able to compete against the top 6 of 2021? Not from the details above.

So when I ask myself what should we be doing in list management, it becomes immaterial without dealing with the 4 items ahead of it. No matter what brilliant six 18-19 year olds will fix these issues. We have some great players on our list and it will be viewed in history as a lost opportunity that we dropped so badly from 2018 and need to clearly address the elephant in the room or move on and be prepared to drop down for a couple of years and be ready again to compete at the pointy end in a 2024. Talk of consistency and improvement will be painfully slow without changing the above.

You have some valid points. There was a bit of disharmony, there was a bit of lack of leadership, there was a bit of of games given to some when hindsight showed that was questionable. But decisions are made at the time at MC in good faith. If Winder for example wasn't seen as being good enough to impact then he isn't selected.

BUT & it's a big but - to ignore the fact that injuries had an impact is just folly. At that start of the season if you were asked to name the most important 8 players at WC - then Shuey, Yeo, McGovern, Barrass and Ryan's names would be included. They missed an awful amount of footy between them which means

1) lack of quality on field to impact games
2) players asked to play roles they weren't capable of either ever, or in such a short period of time
3) lack of leadership to drive standards

Even when they did return they were not as well conditioned as they needed to be simply because you can't get match fit running lines.

At such a level as AFL is, and knowing most teams can be good on their day, you need to be just off sometimes & you get handed your backside on a plate.

Further to this, if and I reiterate If there was concerns about match style around the middle & stoppages, then surely the appointments of Knights and Schofield indicates how seriously WC are in correcting what is generally accepted as under par. And they weren't delayed appointments, they were done immediately after the corresponding teams had exited finals. So obviously these discussions were held as the season progressed - clearly a club that knows where they are and where they want to be.

Last edited:
Hows WCE going the to sort out the rift within the club...
The Payers vs McGovern/Kelly
Where do you get the idea there is any rift? Because Yeo yelled at Mcgoven in one game? Media need some BS to write.
I prefer to see Yeo yelling at someone occasionally than when we are getting smashed and I see Simmo smiling in the coaches box.

BUT & it's a big but - to ignore the fact that injuries had an impact is just folly. At that start of the season if you were asked to name the most important 8 players at WC - then Shuey, Yeo, McGovern, Barrass and Ryan's names would be included. They missed an awful amount of footy between them which means
Even when they did return they were not as well conditioned as they needed to be simply because you can't get match fit running lines.
These were the reasons we failed this year, I agree. We rushed stars back a week or 2 too early all year. Us bigfooty experts could all see that prior to the match and our last quarters proved it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

According to Nizzy , West Coast would be willing to consider swapping Jarrad Brander for Sam Petrevski-Seton if Brander wanted to join Carlton .
" I saw where Carlton have shown some interest ," Nisbett said . " I know Hawthorn have and I think Geelong have shown some fleeting interest . He wants more opportunity and if he ended up at Carlton and then we talked to Carlton about the options for him - they are both first round picks so it makes some sense ."

Nizzy taking over , all good .
Is this like
5omrer.jpg
Rotham got a three year extension.

Personally I'd rather we kept Brander and sent off Pick 49, but I can't see Brander staying, so I'm not really fussed either way. So long as it's not both (unless a better pick than 49 comes back!)
Yes I agree. Brander has potential.

Josh Rotham is Jarrod Brander from Wish.

Or

Jarrod Brander is Josh Rotham from Wish.

I will let you decide.

Matt Allen is Jarrod Brander from Wish.

Brant Colledge is Matt Allen from Wish.

Would love to see a three way trade involving WC, Geelong and Freo, going something like this.

WC give up: Brander and pick 10
Freo give up: pick 6
Geel give up: Clark

WC get: pick 6
Freo get: Clark and pick 10
Geel get: Brander

This hopefully gets us Erasmus, then Sheldrick and Dittmar in round 2, effectively solving our young midfield problems. We take the silky smooth Ethan Regan with pick 45 and some development tall with 65. If SPS somehow finds his way to the club via the pre-season draft or another pathway, great, but he's not essential.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back