List Mgmt. Contracts, trades, draft - 2021 offseason edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So the 2021 season is officially done and dusted.

It’s time now to fully turn our attention to the off season and what we can do through the trade period/draft to chase down Melbourne in 2022.

List and personnel changes have already been made and I’ll update this OP as and when any further changes are made.

As it stands these are our official list changes :

Out -
• Venables (R) - retired
• Vardy - retired
• Hutchings (R) - delisted
• Ah Chee (R) - delisted
• Ainsworth - delisted
• Johnson - delisted
• Collins (R) - delisted
• Brander - cluster****
• Cameron - retired/delisted not that it was officially acknowledged by the club
• Sheppard - retired

Inactive listed -
• Cole
• Chesser

In -
• Petrevski-Seton - traded for pick 52
• Chesser - Pick 14
• Hough - Pick 31
• Bazzo - Pick 37
• Williams (Jack) - Pick 57
• Clark - Pick 62
• Dixon - SSP
• Joyce - SSP
• Strnadica - SSP
• Naish - SSP

Players on main list - 37 (Including 2 inactive)
Players on rookie list - 7

Future trade picks :
In - Port Adelaide future 2nd
Out - Future 4th

Assistant Coaches :
• Out - Graham, Hickmott
• In - Schofield (Strategy and Stoppage), Knights (Midfield), Wiley (WAFL coach), Brennan (development)

Link to contract status of all players -

Last edited:
I think the whole league should just say fu** right off Geelong and we’ll consider trading when you change your attitude. Asking for a draft pick higher than what you drafted a player at when he’s not even getting games is just taking the piss, they just feel empowered because it’s worked for them in the past.

GWS started it with making them trade for Cameron (and trade quite a lot).

At the end of the day, Geelong seem to think a contract is a contract (unless they are the ones chasing - but to be fair I'm not sure how many in-contract players they have chased of recent times). The rest of the league has moved on to being reasonable.

But I agree - similar to Essendon - time to play hardball with the teams who don't negotiate in good faith. It will hurt them more than it hurts the other teams as other teams will get deals done.

And, eventually, teams will be able to trade players to a state - rather than a nominated club. Meaning Geelong having a record of being belligerent will miss out as well-run teams will get the first right of refusal.

I would not say categorically that our Purple friends will take a tall and not 2 mids. They took 2 mids in 2019 and snubbed Naughton!!!!

What is the obsession with Freo picks?
Eagles have shown in the past that they're not scared to draft from around the country, so this "freo will take all the WA talent" rhetoric seems misplaced.

Jay Clark from the Herald Sun reporting West Coast will not offer anything more than a R3 pick for SPS. Also stating Voss has not convinced SPS to stay.

“The man who was taken with pick No. 6 by Carlton six years ago has already flown to Western Australia and will not consider a comeback to Ikon Park under Michael Voss”

What is the obsession with Freo picks?
Eagles have shown in the past that they're not scared to draft from around the country, so this "freo will take all the WA talent" rhetoric seems misplaced.
Not an obsession- Freo have 2 picks before us and I am hoping they take a tall (the have already stated a need to bolster tall forward stocks) and leave us at 10 with more midfield options

I’m expecting GWS to trade back in the draft from 2 to 7. The quality in that range are mostly midfield and if GWS can get 7 and another 15 from Tigers (they supposedly want Hobbs). Tigers in line with another R1 as they have massive points to pay the premium for Doggies 17

Tigers have picks 7, 15, 26, 28, 42 and 47. Probably landing 38 ( Chol compo) and could land 40 from North in the deal for Coleman-Jones.

Those deals could leave them with 2, 17, 26 and 28 to take to the draft.

Picks 38, 40, 42 and 47 are equivalent to pick 8 - more than enough to trump any other bidder for pick 17

I’m expecting GWS to trade back in the draft from 2 to 7. The quality in that range are mostly midfield and if GWS can get 7 and another 15 from Tigers (they supposedly want Hobbs). Tigers in line with another R1 as they have massive points to pay the premium for Doggies 17

Tigers have picks 7, 15, 26, 28, 42 and 47. Probably landing 38 ( Chol compo) and could land 40 from North in the deal for Coleman-Jones.

Those deals could leave them with 2, 17, 26 and 28 to take to the draft.

Picks 38, 40, 42 and 47 are equivalent to pick 8 - more than enough to trump any other bidder for pick 17

Would Mac Andrew still be there at 7 (9 after compo)? Apparently GWS are pretty keen on him, so makes sense to do what we did with Sheed if the ducks line up that way (i.e. trade down, get an extra pick and get the player you wanted anyway)

Would Mac Andrew still be there at 7 (9 after compo)? Apparently GWS are pretty keen on him, so makes sense to do what we did with Sheed if the ducks line up that way (i.e. trade down, get an extra pick and get the player you wanted anyway)
Trouble is it is risky trading down given what is supposedly a very even draft (given clear top 3 are gone by pick 2). What team is thinking Finn Callaghan for example is worth trading up for when equivalent mids will be potentially sitting there. Is Finn worth it?

Jay Clark from the Herald Sun reporting West Coast will not offer anything more than a R3 pick for SPS. Also stating Voss has not convinced SPS to stay.

“The man who was taken with pick No. 6 by Carlton six years ago has already flown to Western Australia and will not consider a comeback to Ikon Park under Michael Voss”
No shit.

Voss: What do you want to stay?
SPS: Midfield time
Voss: We can look at giving you that.
SPS: haven't you just signed Hewett and trading for Cerra?
Voss: Yes
SPS: so where is this more midfield time coming from?
Voss: ..........
SPS: So yeah, if I have to fight for time i'll take the Eagles please

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If you're freo surely you walk away from the Clark deal if Geelong are really going to hold out for a pick better than their late 20's pick? I'd be tempted to walk away even if they would accept that pick. Come back next year.

Que Cerra, Cerra
Whatever will be, will be
The future's not Bell’s to see
Que Cerra, Cerra
What will be, will be

yeh if we can get SPS over the line for pick 52. We yell start the car.

Is he out of contract?

If so, Carlton signing (or intending to sign up) two midfielders will ensure the SPS trade gets done for peanuts.

I'm a little nervous but so far the club seems to be making all the right moves (i.e. not getting bent over for SPS, one year signings for West and Jones).

My biggest knock would be keeping dead wood on the list too long.

If the worst bit of trading that people can point to is getting Kelly in the off season after we just fell out of the 4 in the last two games, then we do alright. I think you can relax a bit.

News of the Cameron delisting is sad. Kid looked the goods. I know he was injured a lot last year but surely that's not why we pushed him out the door. WTF happened last year for him to fall so far off the reservation?

News of the Cameron delisting is sad. Kid looked the goods. I know he was injured a lot last year but surely that's not why we pushed him out the door. WTF happened last year for him to fall so far off the reservation?
Long term injury, not the mental resolve to deal with it. Bit obvious isnt it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back