List Mgmt. Contracts, trades, draft - 2021 offseason edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So the 2021 season is officially done and dusted.

It’s time now to fully turn our attention to the off season and what we can do through the trade period/draft to chase down Melbourne in 2022.

List and personnel changes have already been made and I’ll update this OP as and when any further changes are made.

As it stands these are our official list changes :

Out -
• Venables (R) - retired
• Vardy - retired
• Hutchings (R) - delisted
• Ah Chee (R) - delisted
• Ainsworth - delisted
• Johnson - delisted
• Collins (R) - delisted
• Brander - cluster****
• Cameron - retired/delisted not that it was officially acknowledged by the club
• Sheppard - retired

Inactive listed -
• Cole
• Chesser

In -
• Petrevski-Seton - traded for pick 52
• Chesser - Pick 14
• Hough - Pick 31
• Bazzo - Pick 37
• Williams (Jack) - Pick 57
• Clark - Pick 62
• Dixon - SSP
• Joyce - SSP
• Strnadica - SSP
• Naish - SSP

Players on main list - 37 (Including 2 inactive)
Players on rookie list - 7

Future trade picks :
In - Port Adelaide future 2nd
Out - Future 4th

Assistant Coaches :
• Out - Graham, Hickmott
• In - Schofield (Strategy and Stoppage), Knights (Midfield), Wiley (WAFL coach), Brennan (development)

Link to contract status of all players -

Last edited:
Its Erasmus or MJ with our first, 12ish. Freo wont take both. Purples should take Amiss and one of Erasmus or MJ.

I would be happy for either one who is left.
I would not say categorically that our Purple friends will take a tall and not 2 mids. They took 2 mids in 2019 and snubbed Naughton!!!!

Third round pick upgrade and SPS for Brander, effectively.

That early third might actually find its way to Port for SPP, which would be our third and Brander for SPS and SPP. Probably about right, although I too am in the camp of retaining Brander as he strikes me as a slow burn.
If we got SPP for a third round pick that would be a serious heist. Port would justifiably ask for our pick 29 (or whatever that now is). I'd be happy to pay it. SPP would provide invaluable hardness at stoppages that only Yeo delivers of current mob.

Reading about Greg Clarke and I think he another player that can be a defensive mid or in and under. Sounds like a Redden sorta of inside mid that wins a ton of contested footy but not a crash and badh type. Also has a strong endurance base.
Not that I know the first thing about him, but reading Duffield's piece on Rogers last week he sounded like a better option, good athletic profile to go with runs on the board (which Clarke obviously has too). Rogers sounded like he has more AFL traits to make for a successful transition to the next level, a la TK

If we got SPP for a third round pick that would be a serious heist. Port would justifiably ask for our pick 29 (or whatever that now is). I'd be happy to pay it. SPP would provide invaluable hardness at stoppages that only Yeo delivers of current mob.

29 or next years 2nd - they could bank on us being shit next year (probably a reasonable shot).

It’s buy the buy though because I highly doubt we have the cap to add the $400k-ish SPP would be on (at least). Unless one of Hurn or Kennedy pulls the pin.

Not that I know the first thing about him, but reading Duffield's piece on Rogers last week he sounded like a better option, good athletic profile to go with runs on the board (which Clarke obviously has too). Rogers sounded like he has more AFL traits to make for a successful transition to the next level, a la TK
Yeah like the Rogers. I guess Clarke for me is just adding another bigger bodied defensive type in the middle and helping Yeo to allow TK, Boots and Sheed to be attacking at stoppages. Another minor thing that interest me is his endurance and whether he could be tagger of big bodied mids such as Fyfe, Cripps, Bont and Cripps and trac.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

SPP is s ball butcher who isnt in Ports best 22. Also struggles with endurance as is required to be in a top team.

If you're freo surely you walk away from the Clark deal if Geelong are really going to hold out for a pick better than their late 20's pick? I'd be tempted to walk away even if they would accept that pick. Come back next year.

I think the whole league should just say **** right off Geelong and we’ll consider trading when you change your attitude. Asking for a draft pick higher than what you drafted a player at when he’s not even getting games is just taking the piss, they just feel empowered because it’s worked for them in the past.

Pretty ballsy to turn down an AFL list spot to see out the year with your WAFL team.....

Is it though?

If he gets drafted mid-year and doesn't play (or gets limited game-time and shows little, or worse gets injured) then he could be off a list in less than 6 months. No other team will pick him up and he's back to trying to make it from the WAFL but end of next year he will be another year older (which doesn't help in getting drafted).

Stick it out @ WAFL level, where he was having a decent year already (at the time of the mid-year-draft) and he gives himself a better crack @ 2 years guaranteed.

Add to that he may have been taken by a Vic or NSW club, so that would mean no more tier 2 games for the remainder of 2021 - plus having to move on short notice (I've got no idea what he does for work etc - but there may have been implications there).

I think the whole league should just say fu** right off Geelong and we’ll consider trading when you change your attitude. Asking for a draft pick higher than what you drafted a player at when he’s not even getting games is just taking the piss, they just feel empowered because it’s worked for them in the past.
I get Geelong not wanting to trade him because they have almost no young players and can't afford to be trading them out. They should just come out and say that though.

Who’s this Elijah Hewett kid everyone is talking about?
Kid from Swan Districts, but in next years draft class. Looks like he'll be a star.

Next years draft looks seriously good! WA team looks seriously heckin'g good, that's why I'm keen on trying to trade into next years draft.

Is it though?

If he gets drafted mid-year and doesn't play (or gets limited game-time and shows little, or worse gets injured) then he could be off a list in less than 6 months. No other team will pick him up and he's back to trying to make it from the WAFL but end of next year he will be another year older (which doesn't help in getting drafted).

Stick it out @ WAFL level, where he was having a decent year already (at the time of the mid-year-draft) and he gives himself a better crack @ 2 years guaranteed.

Add to that he may have been taken by a Vic or NSW club, so that would mean no more tier 2 games for the remainder of 2021 - plus having to move on short notice (I've got no idea what he does for work etc - but there may have been implications there).
Yeah, Jai Newcombe was able to dictate terms of contract (due to a Hawks promise), but if it's only for 12 rounds of football, its a big step.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back