List Mgmt. Contracts, trades, draft - 2021 offseason edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So the 2021 season is officially done and dusted.

It’s time now to fully turn our attention to the off season and what we can do through the trade period/draft to chase down Melbourne in 2022.

List and personnel changes have already been made and I’ll update this OP as and when any further changes are made.

As it stands these are our official list changes :

Out -
• Venables (R) - retired
• Vardy - retired
• Hutchings (R) - delisted
• Ah Chee (R) - delisted
• Ainsworth - delisted
• Johnson - delisted
• Collins (R) - delisted
• Brander - cluster****
• Cameron - retired/delisted not that it was officially acknowledged by the club
• Sheppard - retired

Inactive listed -
• Cole
• Chesser

In -
• Petrevski-Seton - traded for pick 52
• Chesser - Pick 14
• Hough - Pick 31
• Bazzo - Pick 37
• Williams (Jack) - Pick 57
• Clark - Pick 62
• Dixon - SSP
• Joyce - SSP
• Strnadica - SSP
• Naish - SSP

Players on main list - 37 (Including 2 inactive)
Players on rookie list - 7

Future trade picks :
In - Port Adelaide future 2nd
Out - Future 4th

Assistant Coaches :
• Out - Graham, Hickmott
• In - Schofield (Strategy and Stoppage), Knights (Midfield), Wiley (WAFL coach), Brennan (development)

Link to contract status of all players -

Last edited:
The bolded sentence worries me. If we bring in SPS and SPP thinking they are top tier talent we’re in trouble
I do have some optimism on SPP, in that I hope it is Schofield driving the trade. Maybe he sees upside that Port wasn't able to realise, due to having a brownlow medalist taking the inside role in the midfield.

What is top end talent? Will both SPS and SPP be in our best 22? I think a very big yes.
Go to the draft for top end talent, dart board time. Chances of getting top end talent from the draft is less than 50% with a 1st and 2nd round pick.
Like Monocle said its about improving your list, I don't think the club thinks that SPS or SPP are A Grade plus players.
They are fringe players. Top end talent are players who can potentially cover the losses of Shuey, Gaff and an ageing Yeo in the next couple of years. If we think these guys are going to do that we’re rooted

The more I think about this, if our first pick isn't a midfielder, I would be more then happy with Mac Andrews at 10*

*on the provision that our strength and conditioning team get their head around that improving his physical strength and adding quality weight are going to be more important then keeping him a mobile stringbean

I’ll take take dittmars extra 7cm tbh. Purely cause I’m not confident Sheldrick will be able to play that way at his height
You want Dittmars extra 7cm's? That's quite forward of you, he sounds like he has 3 legs. haha

Sheldrick, is literally the same height and weight as Serong when drafted and he's been able to impact nicely at the level. IMO Sheldrick still has plenty of development and growth left, he's a power player who needs to build his tank. He can also lose a bit of puppy fat and build his muscle mass.
Dittmar I also think has plenty of development left, both good options.

They are fringe players. Top end talent are players who can potentially cover the losses of Shuey, Gaff and an ageing Yeo in the next couple of years. If we think these guys are going to do that we’re rooted

How many clubs have a direct back up for their starting mids? We should be recruiting the spare Petracca from Melbourne who can't get a game.
The club is recruiting to become better than last year. I do not believe they are thinking as you suggest at all.
What do you want the club to do? Is there players we are not targeting that you think we should be? if so who are they?

I do have some optimism on SPP, in that I hope it is Schofield driving the trade. Maybe he sees upside that Port wasn't able to realise, due to having a brownlow medalist taking the inside role in the midfield.

My thoughts exactly. Schofield must have some heavy input in expecting that he's got a lot more to offer than what he finished the season with.

The more I think about this, if our first pick isn't a midfielder, I would be more then happy with Mac Andrews at 10*

*on the provision that our strength and conditioning team get their head around that improving his physical strength and adding quality weight are going to be more important then keeping him a mobile stringbean
I don't think there is any chance he gets that far.
I would of thought Richmond are keen and I heard GWS were contemplating him too.

If both Johnson and Erasmus are gone by the time our first pick rolls around, are there any other midfielders that can realistically work for us?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Of course they are fringe players, don't think anyone is hoping they replace Shuey, Gaff and Yeo in the long term, it's hoping they can fill in those depth spots 5 and 6 in the midfield, while pick 10 and pick 29 hopefully have developed to replace Shuey, Gaff etc.

How many clubs have a direct back up for their starting mids? We should be recruiting the spare Petracca from Melbourne who can't get a game.
The club is recruiting to become better than last year. I do not believe they are thinking as you suggest at all.
What do you want the club to do? Is there players we are not targeting that you think we should be? if so who are they?
We should be targeting mids in the draft. Im more than happy to improve our list with these guys if they are treated as depth.

If both Johnson and Erasmus are gone by the time our first pick rolls around, are there any other midfielders that can realistically work for us?

Goater or Draper?

If that happens, then one of Hobbs, Callaghan, Ward, Sonsie, Roberts or Goater will be available

Of course they are fringe players, don't think anyone is hoping they replace Shuey, Gaff and Yeo in the long term, it's hoping they can fill in those depth spots 5 and 6 in the midfield, while pick 10 and pick 29 hopefully have developed to replace Shuey, Gaff etc.

I feel like we could slap some wings on Keys and he could replace Gaff right now. Last season was pretty ordinary.

Short answers - Yes .

Draper I can realistically see, but Goater's a bit of a risk seeing as he's a Vic Metro kid.

Depends on how he interviews but with our history of retaining players I wouldn’t be too concerned about drafting interstate kids.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back