List Mgmt. Contracts, trades, draft - 2021 offseason edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So the 2021 season is officially done and dusted.

It’s time now to fully turn our attention to the off season and what we can do through the trade period/draft to chase down Melbourne in 2022.

List and personnel changes have already been made and I’ll update this OP as and when any further changes are made.

As it stands these are our official list changes :

Out -
• Venables (R) - retired
• Vardy - retired
• Hutchings (R) - delisted
• Ah Chee (R) - delisted
• Ainsworth - delisted
• Johnson - delisted
• Collins (R) - delisted
• Brander - cluster****
• Cameron - retired/delisted not that it was officially acknowledged by the club
• Sheppard - retired

Inactive listed -
• Cole
• Chesser

In -
• Petrevski-Seton - traded for pick 52
• Chesser - Pick 14
• Hough - Pick 31
• Bazzo - Pick 37
• Williams (Jack) - Pick 57
• Clark - Pick 62
• Dixon - SSP
• Joyce - SSP
• Strnadica - SSP
• Naish - SSP

Players on main list - 37 (Including 2 inactive)
Players on rookie list - 7

Future trade picks :
In - Port Adelaide future 2nd
Out - Future 4th

Assistant Coaches :
• Out - Graham, Hickmott
• In - Schofield (Strategy and Stoppage), Knights (Midfield), Wiley (WAFL coach), Brennan (development)

Link to contract status of all players -

Last edited:
I am certain it wasn't a 'we're not going to get him anyway' choice. It was a stuff up.

Without knowing when the mistake was made, it was quite possible the 'top 20' rule didn't exist (it was only implemented in November 2020). Also, if a guy looks like going in that range isn't it even more reason to ensure you get it right? I mean, Bobby Hill was meant to go top 10 or so - ends up at 24. Darling was touted as #1, ends up at 26. Allen was touted as around the top 10 and we got him at 21.

Guys slide on draft night for whatever reason - and there is an absolutely massive advantage in getting a player that (through your draft hand and finishing position) you are basically not entitled to - but due to F/S or NGA rules you can pick up using quite average picks (that you don't have to pay anywhere near full value for).

Even Jake Waterman (who is much maligned around here) - pick 77 for a guy that has so far played 53 games is an absolute bargain.
NGA is a very very wide net - if parents are not interested it would not be a red flag. But the irrational over reasction on this site is as usual entertaining

Monocle isn't alone, all of us wanted Valente. Still feel he could/could've been a good player if Cockburn just threw him a bone and played him.

Most of us groaned when Foley was taken as he was seen as another Vanilla overager after Ainsworth, even more that he was a HBF.

Just like most of us thought he was cooked after he was awful in his debut game of 2020.

One of the more pleasant surprises of 2021. And Simmo only played him because he couldn't back in the boizTM as they were all injured.

Soon as the troops came back, Foley was out the door with a couple other youngsters who'd performed so admirably, and the team went to shit again.

On Duffields podcast he seems pretty keen for Freo to take two mids with their first two picks (and names Erasmus and Johnson who most on here seem keen on at our pick).

Reckons there's more need to fix the midfield with Cerra gone and Mundy almost gone than pick a tall fwd. Has a pretty good handle on Freo stuff generally old Duff.

The more I look at the Brander situation, the more I feel he and his manager have made a colossal screw up.

Clearly one (or both) of them must have thought he would be attracting tons of interest on the open market. Hasnt happened.
His manager would have tested the market prior to the end of the season. There will be teams that will pick him up, they might not want to trade anything for him though.

Still holding out hope we can hang on to him for one more year.

I'm on board. Get Gus in.

10 - MJ, Erasmus, Goater.
29 - Basso
35 - Sheldrick

Could potentially walk away with 2 mids and a KPD, all from WA. Add Clarke in the Rookie draft and we might not go into administration in 2022.
Nice summary. There are decent options at 10 for a genuine midfielder. I think the Pieman will be aligned with this one.

Basso at 29 makes sense provided his will to play AFL is there. He has all the skills and high has proven on a big stage but there are questions as to whether he has the desire to be a professional athlete.

At 29, I would also be up for Browne or Hough at 29 with us picking up Polson as a KPD in the rookie draft.

Sheldrick will also make sense if we go SPS and not SPP.

On Duffields podcast he seems pretty keen for Freo to take two mids with their first two picks (and names Erasmus and Johnson who most on here seem keen on at our pick).

Reckons there's more need to fix the midfield with Cerra gone and Mundy almost gone than pick a tall fwd. Has a pretty good handle on Freo stuff generally old Duff.
Duffield also knows Fremantle are very reluctant to invest in KPF's.

In terms of midfield, they have Mundy and Fyfe as older stocks, Tucker as a mid ager, Serong, Brayshaw and O'Driscoll as top end under 22 so adding 2 first rounders as mids seems odd. The opposite of our problem of loads of players getting the ball but nobody to kick to!! They are also looking at adding Brodie from Suns.

Looking forward to the melts on draft night when Freo take Erasmus and Johnson and we take Amiss

If that happens i'll be the one laughing at Freo as they'll likely be melting even harder than us.

Amiss is so clearly the player they need it's not even funny.

I on the other hand don't mind Amiss if we take mids with our other picks. Kennedy won't stich him up by sticking around like what's happened to Brander.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If that happens i'll be the one laughing at Freo as they'll likely be melting even harder than us.

Amiss is so clearly the player they need it's not even funny.

I on the other hand don't mind Amiss if we take mids with our other picks. Kennedy won't stich him up by sticking around like what's happened to Brander.
That's what you think! Be prepared to see JK hobbling out for us in 2025 and Amiss being delisted...

Someone please post the SPP tweet from Ryan Daniels.

And if you can blow it up to A3 size, that'd be ideal..

I’ll blow you up to A3 size.

I’ll blow you up to A3 size.

Curiosity Curious GIF - Curiosity Curious Intrigued - Discover & Share GIFs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back