List Mgmt. Contracts, trades, draft - 2021 offseason edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So the 2021 season is officially done and dusted.

It’s time now to fully turn our attention to the off season and what we can do through the trade period/draft to chase down Melbourne in 2022.

List and personnel changes have already been made and I’ll update this OP as and when any further changes are made.

As it stands these are our official list changes :

Out -
• Venables (R) - retired
• Vardy - retired
• Hutchings (R) - delisted
• Ah Chee (R) - delisted
• Ainsworth - delisted
• Johnson - delisted
• Collins (R) - delisted
• Brander - cluster****
• Cameron - retired/delisted not that it was officially acknowledged by the club
• Sheppard - retired

Inactive listed -
• Cole
• Chesser

In -
• Petrevski-Seton - traded for pick 52
• Chesser - Pick 14
• Hough - Pick 31
• Bazzo - Pick 37
• Williams (Jack) - Pick 57
• Clark - Pick 62
• Dixon - SSP
• Joyce - SSP
• Strnadica - SSP
• Naish - SSP

Players on main list - 37 (Including 2 inactive)
Players on rookie list - 7

Future trade picks :
In - Port Adelaide future 2nd
Out - Future 4th

Assistant Coaches :
• Out - Graham, Hickmott
• In - Schofield (Strategy and Stoppage), Knights (Midfield), Wiley (WAFL coach), Brennan (development)

Link to contract status of all players -

Last edited:
Monocle isn't alone, all of us wanted Valente. Still feel he could/could've been a good player if Cockburn just threw him a bone and played him.

Most of us groaned when Foley was taken as he was seen as another Vanilla overager after Ainsworth, even more that he was a HBF.

Just like most of us thought he was cooked after he was awful in his debut game of 2020.

One of the more pleasant surprises of 2021. And Simmo only played him because he couldn't back in the boizTM as they were all injured.

Soon as the troops came back, Foley was out the door with a couple other youngsters who'd performed so admirably, and the team went to sh*t again.
That Richmond game, when he took the game on and kept kicking to dangerous positions in the midfield, at will, was eye opening. And pulling them off.

Next week dropped for credits in the bank.

Stephen Wells on Tyson Stengle:

"We do have some interest in Tyson. We haven't committed to him yet, it's not just us who want him.

"He'll have to make that decision himself."

Under what terms would Tyson be available? Main draft? PSD as a delisted free agent or something? I wouldn't have thought it was up to Tyson to choose his own club when multiple are keen on him. Isn't it simply first in best dressed? Are the Cats insinuating he tells the other clubs not to grab him?

Stephen Wells on Tyson Stengle:

"We do have some interest in Tyson. We haven't committed to him yet, it's not just us who want him.

"He'll have to make that decision himself."

Under what terms would Tyson be available? Main draft? PSD as a delisted free agent or something? I wouldn't have thought it was up to Tyson to choose his own club when multiple are keen on him. Isn't it simply first in best dressed? Are the Cats insinuating he tells the other clubs not to grab him?

He was on Adelaide’s list this year so technically I think he’s a delisted free agent and can sign with who he likes.

Good position to be in. Sometimes crime does pay.

I'm not excited by either SPP or SPS. They've nominated us but that doesn't mean we're obliged to act on it.

I'd be guaranteeing SPS that we take him in the preseason draft if a trade can't get done. It might force Carlton into taking 30 cents on the dollar for him. The bloke is talented.

As for Brander I'd like to keep him. New assistant coaches might finally settle him into a role. But if he wants to go, could we get some interest out of Brisbane? Maybe him and pick swaps their way for Robertson? They need more tall forwards with Hipwood out and McStay and Daniher underwhelming.

I would be keen to keep Brander with the proviso that we turn him in to a KPD. Gov being out for the start of the season and a new defensive game plan for taking on the game may well be a big plus for him.

If we are trying to turn him into a defensive outside midfielder, we might as well start the mini rebuild now.

Gold Coast has cap issues but I'd offer them Waterman for Sharp or Powell. For some reason there's people in here that think a fringe undersized tall forward who's goal hungry and doesn't tackle is untradeable. I'd offload him for any one of the young WA players in the league who are getting a regular game.
Trading him would give Brander some incentive to stay too. Tell him you're next cab off the rank when we need a tall. Give him a chance as a half forward

Gold Coast has cap issues but I'd offer them Waterman for Sharp or Powell.

Aside from the fact of all those players are contracted through to at least 2023 (Powell is even longer), none have expressed interest in a trade, Gold Coast haven’t expressed any interest in Waterman, Waterman has no links to Gold Coast and is unlikely to want to go there, I can see that trade going through very smoothly.

That's the Jack Martin move though. Carlton in no position to complain

You're not wrong, but pick 52 is cheap enough i'd say. No need to be w***ers about it.

Re Brander - Anyone with a brain would want to keep him, particularly if he plans to walk as a DFA, only you can't keep a player who doesn't want to be here.

Thank his manager/west coast/Simpson/development for this messed up situation. Way to buy High and sell Low. Ironically the same as Carlton with SPS.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would be keen to keep Brander with the proviso that we turn him in to a KPD. Gov being out for the start of the season and a new defensive game plan for taking on the game may well be a big plus for him.

If we are trying to turn him into a defensive outside midfielder, we might as well start the mini rebuild now.

Too confusing for commentators having Brander and Rotham playing together in the back line.

Aside from the fact of all those players are contracted through to at least 2023 (Powell is even longer), none have expressed interest in a trade, Gold Coast haven’t expressed any interest in Waterman, Waterman has no links to Gold Coast and is unlikely to want to go there, I can see that trade going through very smoothly.
Why would waterman request a trade - he does bugger, is under no scrutiny all and gets paid plenty

You're not wrong, but pick 52 is cheap enough i'd say. No need to be w***ers about it.

Re Brander - Anyone with a brain would want to keep him, particularly if he plans to walk as a DFA, only you can't keep a player who doesn't want to be here.

Thank his manager/west coast/Simpson/development for this messed up situation. Way to buy High and sell Low. Ironically the same as Carlton with SPS.
This the same brander who is uncompetative as a key defencder in the WAFL? He is a bust , no amount of 'development' will turn him around.

Could really mean genuinely not interested or trying to appear not THAT interested so not to have to overpay (the use of "currently" in the tweet doesn't rule it out)

Either way I'm happy with that

It seems like we are interested on our terms (whatever they are, but it would be a combo of draft pick and salary limitations).

I'm guessing Port have put a price on SPP's head (I'll speculate and say a pick under 30), with us taking the full contract.

Now, we may be willing to part with 29 (probably not happy about it) if we had very limited salary cap inclusions from him coming over. Or, if he is on a decent wage and we take the full hit then maybe a late pick. It seems port with Ladhams and SPP are wanting the best of both worlds - but that won't happen.

This the same brander who is uncompetative as a key defencder in the WAFL? He is a bust , no amount of 'development' will turn him around.

The same Brander who was playing on the WING as early as his 2nd WAFL season, who had to play 11 a side scrimmages throughout all of 2020...

And has shown continual improvement with each season he's been exposed to AFL level? Yes, i'm talking about THAT Brander.

Hard to Dominate as a KPP when you don't play as one in the two's. Might as well complain about Ainsworth not getting enough spoils as a KPD.

The same Brander who was playing on the WING as early as his 2nd WAFL season, who had to play 11 a side scrimmages throughout all of 2020...

And has shown improvement with each season he's been exposed to AFL level?

Yes, i'm talking about THAT Brander.

Hard to Dominate as a KPP when you don't play as one in the two's. Might as well complain about Ainsworth not getting enough spoils as a KPD.

He got chucked down back against West Perth for a half, having not been used or presumably trained as a key defender for years, and got toweled up by the Naylor Medalist.

Therefore he’s a failed key defender.

geez if gc cant keep that list under the salary cap, they might as well fold.

It does beg the question who on their list currently is being paid that much to take up all the space?

1505157551282.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back