List Mgmt. Contracts, trades, draft - 2021 offseason edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So the 2021 season is officially done and dusted.

It’s time now to fully turn our attention to the off season and what we can do through the trade period/draft to chase down Melbourne in 2022.

List and personnel changes have already been made and I’ll update this OP as and when any further changes are made.

As it stands these are our official list changes :

Out -
• Venables (R) - retired
• Vardy - retired
• Hutchings (R) - delisted
• Ah Chee (R) - delisted
• Ainsworth - delisted
• Johnson - delisted
• Collins (R) - delisted
• Brander - cluster****
• Cameron - retired/delisted not that it was officially acknowledged by the club
• Sheppard - retired

Inactive listed -
• Cole
• Chesser

In -
• Petrevski-Seton - traded for pick 52
• Chesser - Pick 14
• Hough - Pick 31
• Bazzo - Pick 37
• Williams (Jack) - Pick 57
• Clark - Pick 62
• Dixon - SSP
• Joyce - SSP
• Strnadica - SSP
• Naish - SSP

Players on main list - 37 (Including 2 inactive)
Players on rookie list - 7

Future trade picks :
In - Port Adelaide future 2nd
Out - Future 4th

Assistant Coaches :
• Out - Graham, Hickmott
• In - Schofield (Strategy and Stoppage), Knights (Midfield), Wiley (WAFL coach), Brennan (development)

Link to contract status of all players -

Last edited:
Here it is GAIZ

View attachment 1254118

Has not been offered a contract and will head to the draft if there's no interest for him in the trade period.

Really hoping the Eagles play this one sensibly and give him another contract despite him trying to leave.
Can't fault Rhino for that reporting. Entirely accurate at the time. Only thing that Branders side didn't realise is that no one appears to be interested....

That also seems insane to me. Surely someone would be keen to pick up for free.

I dunno, i think Cerra's value is inflated due to the vic wank bubble getting one of their players back. He hasn't actually done anything. Hasn't polled special in the brownlow, hasn't won a B& F. Isn't a top 40 mid. Meanwhile the Dawson situation is dealt with by 2 interstate clubs so there's less fanfare.

Not a fan of Adelaide walking players to the PSD, but Sydney have to face facts here and just accept something. 17 was reasonable. :shrug:

Regarding Brander,

How good would it be to get a failed first rounder for peanuts (SPS) and then Brander goes on to have a decent career at WCE after being on the scrap heap and trying to leave?

There's been no WCE trade today, but this news is exciting.

Boggles my mind that no one is interested in Brander. He’s worth more than a speculative late pick.

There must be something else going on because I thought at the very worst we could keep him on as useful depth - he's shown glimpses and definitely has an AFL-ready body. Every club needs minimum wage depth.

Are there off-field issues?

I dunno, i think Cerra's value is inflated due to the vic wank bubble getting one of their players back. Whilst Dawson is dealt with by 2 interstate clubs.

I just don't think it's good for Adelaide to keep walking players to the PSD, but Sydney have to face facts here and just accept something :shrug:

Cerra despite being 2 and a half years younger has played 12 more games than Dawson. Stats at same age:
Capture.PNG

Regarding Brander,

How good would it be to get a failed first rounder for peanuts (SPS) and then Brander goes on to have a decent career at WCE after being on the scrap heap and trying to leave?

If we get Brander back would probably be time for JK to retire, as much as i love him, and he's probably got one more year left in him

Aside from the fact of all those players are contracted through to at least 2023 (Powell is even longer), none have expressed interest in a trade, Gold Coast haven’t expressed any interest in Waterman, Waterman has no links to Gold Coast and is unlikely to want to go there, I can see that trade going through very smoothly.
So by your take our list manager's should just wait for one of these young WA blokes agents to call? Weak as piss. All year long we should be calling all of these high talent WA kids agents and putting the feelers out. The Victorians set up there raids of the Suns and Giants years in advance with the go home factor. We're just no good at it.

And as for waterboy, so what if he's contracted? I'd be telling him that the forward line will be Rioli, Allen, Ryan, Darling, Kennedy, Cripps and he'll be in the WAFL unless required due to injury. But we'd be happy to facilitate a trade to a team needing his skillset etc etc.

Might be because we have publicly said that we don't rate him so why would a club pay a pick for him? If he walks to the draft they could just get him in the rookie draft
Possibly, I guess. Maybe clubs figure he’s gone so someone will snap him up then. I’d like us to at least put a contract to him, I think he could be very good one day.

There must be something else going on because I thought at the very worst we could keep him on as useful depth - he's shown glimpses and definitely has an AFL-ready body. Every club needs minimum wage depth.

He’s a young, depth player that has played less than 50 games for West Coast.

The majority of the Vic-centric media don’t have a clue who he is. Brendon “BJ” Goddard certainly gave that impression earlier in the week on Trade Radio. Dal Santo knew Brander from his time coaching at the AFL Academy. Guys like Dal tend to be exceptions to the rule of ex-players being clueless of players outside of the big names or the Vic clubs bubble.

I mean, these guys think Hutchings (or Hutchinson as Malthouse calls him) is going to be a big loss for our midfield and that Dom Sheed is nearing the end of his career at the ripe old age of 26…

The majority of the Vic-centric media don’t have a clue who he is. Brendon “BJ” Goddard certainly gave that impression earlier in the week on Trade Radio. Dal Santo knew Brander from his time coaching at the AFL Academy. Guys like Dal tend to be exceptions to the rule of ex-players being clueless of players outside of the big names or the Vic clubs bubble.

I mean, these guys think Hutchings (or Hutchinson as Malthouse calls him) is going to be a big loss for our midfield and that Dom Sheed is nearing the end of his career at the ripe old age of 26…

Sheeds hairline says he's 35 though

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I fell away after 26, but Cerra and I share a birth date so perhaps I was over hyped early.

Cerra despite being 2 and a half years younger has played 12 more games than Dawson. Stats at same age:
View attachment 1254132

If we get Brander back would probably be time for JK to retire, as much as i love him, and he's probably got one more year left in him

You're comparing apples and oranges though mate.

For a mid, Cerra is average. For a half back defender, Dawson is very good.

No point counting stats or comparing who gets more touches of the pill. It's who's done what and has a higher standing in their respective positions.

Cerra isn't a top 40 mid. I'd say Dawson is a top 10 running defender.

Dawson is ranked 31 in the AFL player ratings. Cerra is ranked 78. Ya see?

Jordan Dawson is ranked the 2nd Best general Defender in the AFL. Cerra is ranked the 45th best midfielder.

Last edited:
Regarding Brander,

Never like to see a player not 'fill their potential' and thus help strengthen our team ... but ...

... just what position would he play? (Esp if JK goes on.) Given this board generally says we are too tall (esp forward), and given he hasn't set the world on fire as a midfielder (BTW is there a 195cm player who is a decent midfielder?); and given HEdwards is the next cab off the rank in the backline ... then that leaves ... what ruck? permanent medical sub?

Also given no other club seems to be interested, there is just a possibility he isn't as good as his 'potential' suggests. FMcInnes comes to mind. Always heard he was 'A Great Bloke' but from the point of view of the Weagles (as opposed to Beagles) mostly a list clogger.

Sometimes we just have to accept we have too many of one type of player - no matter how good or how much 'potential' - and as such the choice is move them on or consistently play them in the Beagles. Nothing personal Jarrod.

So by your take our list manager's should just wait for one of these young WA blokes agents to call? Weak as piss. All year long we should be calling all of these high talent WA kids agents and putting the feelers out. The Victorians set up there raids of the Suns and Giants years in advance with the go home factor. We're just no good at it.

And as for waterboy, so what if he's contracted? I'd be telling him that the forward line will be Rioli, Allen, Ryan, Darling, Kennedy, Cripps and he'll be in the WAFL unless required due to injury. But we'd be happy to facilitate a trade to a team needing his skillset etc etc.

Yes we should be in the ear of players we rate.

But your suggestion was a classic “I’d offer <player I dont like> for <player I like>” with no regard for any of the actual circumstances.

Trading doesn’t work like that, unless you’re playing a video game.

Seems odd that no one is interested at all.

Rawlings (North’s GM) drafted him.
Mitchell and Hickmott (Hawks coach and assistant) coached him.
Wells (Geelong list manager) pursued him a couple of years ago.

If none of those guys are keen at getting him even for a bargain basement price, that’s a worry.

So Brander and WCE both have a decision to make given what seems to be a complete lack of interest in him from other clubs

We only have 5 list spots available, assuming Cameron does officially get delisted, we trade in Petrevski-Seton and all of Hurn, Kennedy, Foley and O’Neill get new contracts

If we use pick 52 on SPS as seems likely then we go to the draft with 10,29 and 35 which would leave 2 rookie spots open if we don’t use our last pick in the main draft

Sort out whatever differences we have with Brander, including the position he WANTS to be developed in, and offer him a spot on the rookie list* then use our last rookie pick on a state league ruck like Stradnica

If for whatever reason JK decides not to continue in 2022, then offer Brander a one year contract on the main list

*I’ve given up on working out whether we can move Brander directly on to the rookie list or if we’d have to delist and redraft him

I'd suggest he's probably asking for the double money of a draftee, which would probably do it.

How was he ever a captain. LOL i could imagine he would forget everyone's name or during the coin toss sends his team the wrong way

So Brander and WCE both have a decision to make given what seems to be a complete lack of interest in him from other clubs

We only have 5 list spots available, assuming Cameron does officially get delisted, we trade in Petrevski-Seton and all of Hurn, Kennedy, Foley and O’Neill get new contracts

If we use pick 52 on SPS as seems likely then we go to the draft with 10,29 and 35 which would leave 2 rookie spots open if we don’t use our last pick in the main draft

Sort out whatever differences we have with Brander, including the position he WANTS to be developed in, and offer him a spot on the rookie list* then use our last rookie pick on a state league ruck like Stradnica

If for whatever reason JK decides not to continue in 2022, then offer Brander a one year contract on the main list

*I’ve given up on working out whether we can move Brander directly on to the rookie list or if we’d have to delist and redraft him

In that case... is it a question of who do we want on the list, Brander or Rogers/Clarke?

Looking at it like this, i'm doubtful WCE offer him anything.

Seems odd that no one is interested at all.

Rawlings (North’s GM) drafted him.
Mitchell and Hickmott (Hawks coach and assistant) coached him.
Wells (Geelong list manager) pursued him a couple of years ago.

If none of those guys are keen at getting him even for a bargain basement price, that’s a worry.

Does seem odd. Or maybe they want him on the cheap if we delist him.

Heard somewhere that Dogs were interested in Tim O'Brien which would leave Hawks KPF stocks low, surely Brander is perfect for them.

Not that I want him to leave.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back